Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

The Presidential Pardon thread

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

That's really strange.  Trump's crusade against Hunter Biden made me think that he was serious about ending corruption in government, but it's hard to square that with a pardon for Blagojevich.  Now I don't know what to believe.

Yes, it’s a mystery.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

That's really strange.  Trump's crusade against Hunter Biden made me think that he was serious about ending corruption in government, but it's hard to square that with a pardon for Blagojevich.  Now I don't know what to believe.

Eh, maybe he feels bad for kicking him off The Apprentice for not knowing some Harry Potter trivia.  What's that compared to shaking down a children's hospital?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

I don't like pardons with rare, rare exceptions and I very much dislike them the last few days of office 

How do you like today's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate IK's response. It was funny.

But on a serious note, its pretty clear Trump doesn't think bribery should be a crime. Clear with how he's acted with the FCPA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a great time to be a right wing criminal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My theory, which is a hill that I will die on, is that some lawyer was trying to explain the limits of executive power to Trump and used Blago as an example (hey just because he has a right to appoint the next Senstor, he can’t give it to the highest bidder) and the lesson Trump took was to prove that lawyer wrong. 

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once Blago set free the next logical step would be Medal of Freedom, no?

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 4
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO what’s going on here is 1. sending signals to his fellow targets in the JDA to stay strong, and 2. To focus on notorious public corruption cases to demonstrate the great injustice and mistreatment these poor politicians and big businessmen have been subject to. And when he pardons Stone, Flynn & Pals he can also point to these preceding pardons as being consistent. 

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

My theory, which is a hill that I will die on, is that some lawyer was trying to explain the limits of executive power to Trump and used Blago as an example (hey just because he has a right to appoint the next Senstor, he can’t give it to the highest bidder) and the lesson Trump took was to prove that lawyer wrong. 

This would be the Platonic form of Trumpiness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nipsey said:

Once Blago set free the next logical step would be Medal of Freedom, no?

That would be ******* golden.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any doubt that Stone, Manafort, Flynn and likely Collins and Hunter will be pardoned? If I'm Scott Peterson I'm wearing a MAGA hat in my next prison mugshot.

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daniel Dale‏ @ddale8 24m24 minutes ago

Blagojevich allies made frequent Fox appearances, which Trump saw; his wife likened his treatment by DOJ to Trump's treatment and invoked Mueller and Comey. Trump took note that Blagojevich was prosecuted by Patrick Fitzgerald, a Comey friend and lawyer.

Trump told reporters today: "It was a prosecution by the same people -- Comey, Fitzpatrick -- the same group." (It's Patrick Fitzgerald, not "Fitzpatrick.") (Comey was deputy AG in the early years of the Blagojevich corruption probe, though not when he was arrested or tried.)

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1229841089567318023

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

My theory, which is a hill that I will die on, is that some lawyer was trying to explain the limits of executive power to Trump and used Blago as an example (hey just because he has a right to appoint the next Senstor, he can’t give it to the highest bidder) and the lesson Trump took was to prove that lawyer wrong. 

I believe it was because he wrote a poorly thought out opinion piece which Trump feels gives him some cover for the impeachment.  Want a favor, say something nice about Trump publically.  Pretty straight forward.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I believe it was because he wrote a poorly thought out opinion piece which Trump feels gives him some cover for the impeachment.  Want a favor, say something nice about trump publically.  Pretty straight forward.

Did Kurik and Miliken write or say something nice about the President? I agree with your theory, just didn't know what they did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, whoknew said:

Did Kurik and Miliken write or say something nice about the President? I agree with your theory, just didn't know what they did.

I don't know. So much to keep up on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Just for bringing back Moe Howard’s and Pete Rose’s haircut. 

Actually it may be more similar to Eddie DeBartolo Jr.'s hair than either of those two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right wingers in IL were rejoicing when Blago got busted and sent to prison. Too funny. Guess Trump had to do it since taking bribes is what Trump does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ericttspikes said:

Right wingers in IL were rejoicing when Blago got busted and sent to prison. Too funny. Guess Trump had to do it since taking bribes is what Trump does.

That was then and this is now.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blago is one of the most cut-and-dry cases of political corruption in recent years. That won't go over well with the "drain the swamp" crowd.

Edited by VandyMan
ETA: I like Blago's hair. Hope I have that much at his age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blago’s hair get pardoned too?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VandyMan said:

Blago is one of the most cut-and-dry cases of political corruption in recent years. That won't go over well with the "drain the swamp" crowd.

Who is in that crowd?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, whoknew said:

Who is in that crowd?

Maybe not many Trump supporters, but at least some. It's only logical.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VandyMan said:

Blago is one of the most cut-and-dry cases of political corruption in recent years. That won't go over well with the "drain the swamp" crowd.

If only that crowd actually cared one iota about draining the swamp.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, VandyMan said:

Blago is one of the most cut-and-dry cases of political corruption in recent years. That won't go over well with the "drain the swamp" crowd.

Kidding right? They love it!

Some samplings:

“Obama pardoned way more”

”These guys don’t live in DC so it’s not part of the DC swamp”

Got to be shtick :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

IMO what’s going on here is 1. sending signals to his fellow targets in the JDA to stay strong, and 2. To focus on notorious public corruption cases to demonstrate the great injustice and mistreatment these poor politicians and big businessmen have been subject to. And when he pardons Stone, Flynn & Pals he can also point to these preceding pardons as being consistent. 

This and I also think that he’s focusing on crimes that he’s committed or plans on committing. It was unfair when they were put in prison for it, so it’d be unfair to do the same to him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's sickening...the more corrupt you are the more old donny appreciates you.  He's empowering white collar criminals across this country

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Biff84 said:

This and I also think that he’s focusing on crimes that he’s committed or plans on committing. It was unfair when they were put in prison for it, so it’d be unfair to do the same to him.

Yep, agree. - It probably should also be noted that supposedly Trump is trying to get rid of the law or enforcement of the law against bribery of foreign officials for business purposes. If anyone wants a link glad to. Just part and parcel of the same thing IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Yep, agree. - It probably should also be noted that supposedly Trump is trying to get rid of the law or enforcement of the law against bribery of foreign officials for business purposes. If anyone wants a link glad to. Just part and parcel of the same thing IMO.

Good to be king. Trump hotel DC and Maro Lago are bribery scams already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Manafort should have been on Celebrity Apprentice Housewives of Jersey...he would have walked months ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pumping radioactive ooze back into the swamp in an election year. Can't imagine what he'll do if reelected. 

Edited by mrip541

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sen. Dick Durbin:

“Blagojevich betrayed the people of Illinois ... Illinois and Washington should move quickly to establish stricter ethics requirements, including the full detailed disclosure of income, net worth, and income tax returns by all elected officials."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

As she should be. Murderers get lesser sentences.

I am a first time, non-violent, Hispanic, white collar convicted felon (Negron vs. USA, District 11 – 2010). After I was found guilty ( I went to trial in 2011), I received what my attorney called a draconian sentence (35 years, with 5 probation).

I was a minority owner (30%) of a management company (Medlink) for health care services, that contracted with a company (ATC) with eight Community Mental Health Centers throughout South and Central Florida, which billed Medicare for their Partial Hospitalization Program (one of their core services). As per my contract with ATC, I was to cover their daily operations to include staffing needs of over 300 employees, coordination of treatment of about 600 – 800 patients daily: as well as quality assurance with our regulatory entities such as OSHA, JCAHO, AHCA, CMS, Dept of Labor, etc. for a management fee. Medlink did not bill Medicare, the billing was outsourced by ATC to a private billing company that was not implicated in the indictments. The financial accounts were handled by an in-house CPA that was not charged with any wrong doing. While the kickbacks were done by the marketing team hired by my partner (70% owner), I never made such agreements, nor did I ever pay any ATC patients to receive services. However, because the government found that kickbacks were being paid to bring patients into the centers, as an owner of the organization I was held equally responsible, and therefore, the government’s allegations of my involvement was accepted by the jury, which found me guilty of all 24 counts. I was charged for the billing done by all eight centers for a span of almost 10 years, because since the patients were coming in illegally, everything that followed was as will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the scene in the movie where the main villain busts all of his villian buddies out of prison to spread mayhem.

Edited by fatguyinalittlecoat
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, killface said:

it's sickening...the more corrupt you are the more old donny appreciates you.  He's empowering white collar criminals across this country

Only the major ones. If you or I did something we’d rot in jail. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, squistion said:

his wife likened his treatment by DOJ to Trump's treatment and invoked Mueller and Comey.

Well played, Mrs. Blagojevich.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Well played, Mrs. Blagojevich.

 The Kim Jong Gambit - play to the ego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VandyMan said:

Blago is one of the most cut-and-dry cases of political corruption in recent years. That won't go over well with the "drain the swamp" crowd.

Really? Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

This is the scene in the movie where the main villain busts all of his villian buddies out of prison to spread mayhem.

More like a zombie movie or Invasion of the Body Snatchers where more everyone gets infected and there's nobody left to fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Hasn't Charlie Manson suffered enough?  When is it his turn?  Shouldn't be long at this rate.

A little late for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.