What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Channeling Your Passion - Other Places Besides This Board? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Serious question for you guys.

Many of you are obviously passionate about specific topics.

And you're obviously knowledgeable and well versed.

We all have 24 hours in a day. Are you using your gifts and energy most effectively?

Specifically, I'm wondering if channeling some of the energy into something else besides posts on this board might have the most impact. 

What do you think? 

Is this a polite way of asking some of us to post less, Joe? Including yours truly? 

As it turns out I’m going to have to post less anyhow. Lots of work and personal stuff is piling up for me and I’m going to have less time to indulge. This place can be very addicting. 

Is this a polite way of asking some of us to post less, Joe? Including yours truly? 

As it turns out I’m going to have to post less anyhow. Lots of work and personal stuff is piling up for me and I’m going to have less time to indulge. This place can be very addicting. 
No. It's a serious question.

No. It's a serious question.
Well then it deserves a serious answer: 

I don’t come here to attempt to change things. I come here to discuss and argue because I find it selfishly entertaining. Entertainment is my entire motive. Sometimes I learn stuff, and that’s an added benefit. Sometime something or someone is so compelling that it causes me to change my mind on some issue. But that is not my motive for coming here and posting as much as I do. 

Obviously anybody familiar with my posts knows that I am very passionate about some political issues, like immigration. Am I doing anything about that passion? Not here, certainly. In real life I give money to certain groups fighting for what I believe, and that’s the extent of what I’m doing. I wish I could do more, and give more. But my time here doesn’t really prevent that as when I’m here I’m typically on my phone engaged in a break from some other thing that I’m involved in- for instance right now I’m outside my daughters dance studio, waiting to drive her home. 

Hope that answers you. 

It doesn't really take a lot of time and energy to post stuff. 
I’m assuming this is directed at the high volume posters, but Joe is also trying to find some common ground and get people focused on what matters.  The   :pokey:  on the PSF the last few days probably has a few mods pulling overtime.  

It is impossible and inadvisable to spend every waking minute working on bettering humanity and no time simply chatting and hanging out discussing things. And sometimes the most effective possible action simply isn’t an option for everyone.

I don’t know if I am the most effective possible, but I believe I am the most effective I can be and not descend into a mental and emotional state I can’t survive. 

If we're going this route Joe, of "most effectively" using our time and energy towards whatever we're doing, your forums would not exist, nor would your fantasy football business.

All of us here have better gifts than being or trying to be good at fantasy football or debating politics in a setting (here) which has no real world impact on society.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the truth is that the large majority of posts on this board are by people at work.  They have limited options.
Understood.

Limited options and small chunks of time can be super productive.

It's not like the options are "post on the message board" or "do something in real life I'm passionate about". 

It very likely could be a choice between "post on a message board" and "work on my book" or "create the strategy for a neighborhood group" or "help mobilize a community". 

If we're going this route Joe, of "most effectively" using our time and energy towards whatever we're doing, your forums would not exist, nor would your fantasy football business.

All of us here have better gifts than being or trying to be good at fantasy football or debating politics in a setting (here) which has no real world impact on society.
Not sure I follow.

I'm not suggesting we drop all leisure activities or entertainment. Fantasy Football is certainly that. 

I'm seeing some folks spend a TON of time and passion here. I'm simply wondering if that time might be better spent doing something else. I have to imagine on the scale of importance, posting political opinions on a message board is pretty far down the scale. 

I also get the sense that some people spend more calories here than they should.  I'll post a good amount here for a day or two at a time and then I have to take a break. 

I like to be informed on issues, but too much politics isn't good for my morale.  I try to find a happy medium between the two.  I basically post here when I'm at work or drinking at home. 

We defiantly have some knowledgeable posters here and I know I can't hang in some of these threads that dive deep into the weeds.  It is an interesting thread though as I've recently thought the same thing.

Take tomorrow to have a Happy Easter all. 

I also get the sense that some people spend more calories here than they should.  I'll post a good amount here for a day or two at a time and then I have to take a break. 

I like to be informed on issues, but too much politics isn't good for my morale.  I try to find a happy medium between the two.  I basically post here when I'm at work or drinking at home. 

We defiantly have some knowledgeable posters here and I know I can't hang in some of these threads that dive deep into the weeds.  It is an interesting thread though as I've recently thought the same thing.

Take tomorrow to have a Happy Easter all. 
Happy Easter to you as well.

I have three kids, a full time executive-level job, and am surrounded by folks who don't share my political views (in my family too).  This place is somewhere I can, when I have time, vent and discuss and make a fool of myself and learn, without upsetting the personal relationships I have that would likely be harmed by frank honest personal conversations.

Aside from times in politics, or when work is slow, life is pretty damned busy.  I like to think I channel my passions with my family, with my work, and other places where I volunteer my time.

Most of my work and family time leave me little time to contribute here, outside of major political happenings.  Something major happens, I go to twitter for news, read the major outlets, digest it, and come here to read and get feedback about the ideas going on.  Definitely will be engaging in upcoming campaigns in some way.

I have three kids, a full time executive-level job, and am surrounded by folks who don't share my political views (in my family too).  This place is somewhere I can, when I have time, vent and discuss and make a fool of myself and learn, without upsetting the personal relationships I have that would likely be harmed by frank honest personal conversations.

Aside from times in politics, or when work is slow, life is pretty damned busy.  I like to think I channel my passions with my family, with my work, and other places where I volunteer my time.

Most of my work and family time leave me little time to contribute here, outside of major political happenings.  Something major happens, I go to twitter for news, read the major outlets, digest it, and come here to read and get feedback about the ideas going on.  Definitely will be engaging in upcoming campaigns in some way.
Wow amazing that you have 23000 posts

Joe Bryant said:

We all have 24 hours in a day. Are you using your gifts and energy most effectively?

Specifically, I'm wondering if channeling some of the energy into something else besides posts on this board might have the most impact. 

What do you think? 
I used to post a bunch here. Now I don't, because I'm pretty busy running for office. 

I get what you're saying. It might not seem like posting a lot here is doing a lot of good in the world. But building a base of knowledge and exposing yourself to smart people with whom you disagree is very valuable. When I was interviewing for an endorsement from an organization recently I was asked about abortion. I told them what I thought, a lot of which was gleaned from here. The woman running the meeting thanked me for my answer and told me it was the most eloquent answer she'd ever heard on the subject. That organization's election committee recommended me unanimously and I have since secured their endorsement. 

There is value on this board that can be taken directly into the real world of politics if someone so chooses. I have "wasted" a lot of time on this board that has resulted in me learning a ton, testing rhetorical devices, seeing what works, and it really helps when you're new to the political arena and have already had your policy chops tested. 

This community is a resource. It can be used to squander time, or it can be used to build skills. Or, in my case, both. So Joe, if you're worried that this thing that you created is only being used as a timewaster, don't. 

I used to post a bunch here. Now I don't, because I'm pretty busy running for office. 

I get what you're saying. It might not seem like posting a lot here is doing a lot of good in the world. But building a base of knowledge and exposing yourself to smart people with whom you disagree is very valuable. When I was interviewing for an endorsement from an organization recently I was asked about abortion. I told them what I thought, a lot of which was gleaned from here. The woman running the meeting thanked me for my answer and told me it was the most eloquent answer she'd ever heard on the subject. That organization's election committee recommended me unanimously and I have since secured their endorsement. 

There is value on this board that can be taken directly into the real world of politics if someone so chooses. I have "wasted" a lot of time on this board that has resulted in me learning a ton, testing rhetorical devices, seeing what works, and it really helps when you're new to the political arena and have already had your policy chops tested. 

This community is a resource. It can be used to squander time, or it can be used to build skills. Or, in my case, both. So Joe, if you're worried that this thing that you created is only being used as a timewaster, don't. 
That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not really worried about anything. I'm asking the question about what people think. 

Can you elaborate on your decision to run for office? Best wishes there. 

Henry Ford said:
It is impossible and inadvisable to spend every waking minute working on bettering humanity and no time simply chatting and hanging out discussing things. And sometimes the most effective possible action simply isn’t an option for everyone.

I don’t know if I am the most effective possible, but I believe I am the most effective I can be and not descend into a mental and emotional state I can’t survive. 
At 52000 posts you are busy and posty to say the least 

At 52000 posts you are busy and posty to say the least 
Yeah. A lot of those come in the form of dozens and dozens a day in a controversial thread where people are asking me questions.  Or while I have no business whatsoever to do but am completely emotionally exhausted by a trial or some such.  

But sure, I don’t disagree that I have a lot of posts here in the last eight years. No question. 

Part of the reason for that is that I’m a physically unattractive, emotionally disturbed old man with bad knees, a bad back, a cow valve in my heart, and insomnia who likes to talk about politics and social sciences and doesn’t often drink at bars.  As you may imagine I don’t have many friends. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Bryant said:
I'm seeing some folks spend a TON of time and passion here. 
I'm not really a high volume poster, but I could bang out 10 posts while I pee. I think you might be overestimating how long it takes to post a bunch of stuff. 

Gopher State said:
Their are people that post so much here that they must not have a life or a real job.  They are not going to change anyone’s view on Trump or the Democratic Party.  I feel sorry for them.  I live my life as follows

my faith in god 

my family

my community 

my job

Fbg political forum 
So, kind of a modified and expanded Gale Sayers, I am Third, philosophy.  Nice.

Part of the reason for that is that I’m a physically unattractive, emotionally disturbed old man with bad knees, a bad back, a cow valve in my heart, and insomnia who likes to talk about politics and social sciences and doesn’t often drink at bars.  As you may imagine I don’t have many friends. 
I’m astonished that you’re not a gorgeous 6’4 guy who can bench 500 pounds in his sleep and beat up champion lightweight boxers like the rest of us. Obviously you don’t belong. 

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not really worried about anything. I'm asking the question about what people think. 

Can you elaborate on your decision to run for office? Best wishes there. 
Thanks. I was asked by some people who are hard to say no to. Seemed like one of those things that if I didn't do I'd regret. So here goes nothing. 

Joe Bryant said:

What do you think? 
Serious question Joe. What do you think the level of positive effect is for each of your main forums? (Shark Pool, FFA, PSF)

If you think one of them is leading to a negative overall effect, wouldn't that be on you to shut it down? 

We know that people can't show self control. We either accept it, or we remove the negative thing.

Serious question Joe. What do you think the level of positive effect is for each of your main forums? (Shark Pool, FFA, PSF)

If you think one of them is leading to a negative overall effect, wouldn't that be on you to shut it down? 

We know that people can't show self control. We either accept it, or we remove the negative thing.
If he shuts down the political subforum then politics would return to the FFA.

No, sho nuff has mad hops.

You can too
Nice!  Like Trump quotes there’s a Seinfeld for everything.   

In all seriousness in highschool I had those, high top version.  I was a pretty solid baller with nice hops (could dunk pretty easily at 6 foot) and those shoes did add to the vert.  

Just a word of advice... applications and interviews is not how you find a good friend.  You have to especially watch out if anyone actually submits an application.
But how do you perform an effective background check and do family interviews without an application? I don’t think you’re thinking this through. 

How are you defining "positive effect"? Do you mean positive effect for Footballguys or for the world or something else?

I think all our forums have a net positive effect.

My point isn't related to the value of the forums at all. It's related to the people here and how they spend their time.  I meant exactly what I said:

Are you using your gifts and energy most effectively?

What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread