What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Channeling Your Passion - Other Places Besides This Board? (1 Viewer)

Do the people who post frequently here spend a lot more time here than the high volume posters in the other FBG subforums?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the people who post here soend a lot more time here than the high volume posters in the other FBG subforums?
That's a fair question and I don't know the answer. I'd say my perception is the people who are really into this forum likely spend more on it than the high volume posters on the other FBG forums. But that's just a guess.

The question is applicable to any forum though. 

I think the difference here is the topic and what they're passionate about. The topics here people are into seem to translate more to an opportunity for "doing something active in the real world". 

I think some are obviously inferring a presumptive nature to your question of effective time management and that’s probably not an unfair interpretation of such a question.

I don’t know how many posts I have and not really sure how long I’ve been a member of the forum.  I can knock out a good 10 posts in a short period of time and then go dormant for a few days.  I am continually baffled by the amount of bickering that occurs in the PSF, though.

About 10 years ago the law firm I work for decided to challenge the entire staff to help change our community.  Our managing partner felt that, while we do donate monies to various charitable organizations, we could do more.  The challenge was simply volunteer, the change and impact you want toward whatever ill, do it hands on.  A volunteer committee was formed of various support staff, management, and lawyers to oversee how the firm would then support everyone’s cause.  As a firm we collectively voted on supporting 2 local initiatives as a whole (a food bank that supplies our community homeless shelters and central FL’s guardian ad litem support group).  From that, any employee can offer up a cause of their own choosing and the firm, through the volunteer committee, will find some method of support for you as long as you’re participating with time and effort.  Our annual Christmas luncheon is when the volunteer committee presents the year in review and it’s easily the highlight of the event, to see what we’ve all done as a group and individually.  Maybe a similar friendly challenge to action would be a better received route than questioning time management (even when sincere).  Since this is the politics forum, the subject of volunteering should be something in that range, whether it be working for a candidate or a policy initiative.  

TL:DR - I wrote a bunch of words

How are you defining "positive effect"? Do you mean positive effect for Footballguys or for the world or something else?

I think all our forums have a net positive effect.

My point isn't related to the value of the forums at all. It's related to the people here and how they spend their time.  I meant exactly what I said:

What do you think?

Joe Bryant said:
Serious question for you guys.

Many of you are obviously passionate about specific topics.

And you're obviously knowledgeable and well versed.

We all have 24 hours in a day. Are you using your gifts and energy most effectively?

Specifically, I'm wondering if channeling some of the energy into something else besides posts on this board might have the most impact. 

What do you think? 
My question was in response to the bolded. In your original post, it felt as though you were stating that posters time spent here has a negative effect. (either on the forum or in their real life) Now that I reread it, the last part states "where might your energy have the most impact".  

I think the topic is excellent, maybe just framed a little oddly. So, on a day where so many people think of rebirth, it's a good time for all of us to ask ourselves, "what are we doing to make ourselves, our planet, or fellow man better?" 

As John Wesley said:

“Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you can,
To all the people you can,
As long as ever you can.”

To answer your question "What do I think?" I can't be concerned with how much time someone spends on this forum. I've tried to take the stance of assuming best intentions by people. If they are on this board posting all day about a political issue, then maybe that's how they're called. I don't know what they're doing when they're not posting. Perhaps they aren't sure about a topic and come here to gather information. Maybe they're having a bad day and the FFA has a quirky topic that makes them feel better or forget about what's going on in their own life. As long as people aren't hurting others intentionally, I think there are a lot worse ways to spend your time. 

Have a Happy Easter.

My question was in response to the bolded. In your original post, it felt as though you were stating that posters time spent here has a negative effect. (either on the forum or in their real life) Now that I reread it, the last part states "where might your energy have the most impact".  

I think the topic is excellent, maybe just framed a little oddly. So, on a day where so many people think of rebirth, it's a good time for all of us to ask ourselves, "what are we doing to make ourselves, our planet, or fellow man better?" 
Thanks. 

I find it interesting people assumed a negative. When in reality, it was exactly as you said, I'm asking about the "most impact". Way different. 

I think it's a great question. One I think we should often be asking ourselves. And obviously myself. 

Joe Bryant said:

We all have 24 hours in a day. Are you using your gifts and energy most effectively?

Specifically, I'm wondering if channeling some of the energy into something else besides posts on this board might have the most impact. 
Joe, would you please cross-post this in the Shark Pool as:

Channeling Your Passion - Other Places Besides This Board?

Thanks.

I also wonder if you might post it this way?

Channeling Your Passion - Other Places Besides Fantasy Football?

Many of you are obviously passionate about fantasy football.

Specifically, I'm wondering if channeling some of the energy into something else besides football might have the most impact. 

The amount of time and energy - and money - spent on fantasy football is incredible. Really wondering how such an invitation to navel gazing would go there.

:confused:   What do you see wrong with asking if people are using their time and talents best?
I have often seen posters make comments about how they "have a life" and can't be bothered to defend points they make here. I think that is meant as a putdown on people that care about politics from a certain angle.  Maybe that isn't what you are doing, but it seemed similar.  Still, did you post this in the FFA or Shark Pool?

The vast majority of my posts here continue to be when I'm on my work laptop because this isn't blocked.  I like discussing politics, but being a liberal atheist in the Southeast doesn't give a lot of real life outlets for that.

I have often seen posters make comments about how they "have a life" and can't be bothered to defend points they make here. I think that is meant as a putdown on people that care about politics from a certain angle.  Maybe that isn't what you are doing, but it seemed similar.  Still, did you post this in the FFA or Shark Pool?

The vast majority of my posts here continue to be when I'm on my work laptop because this isn't blocked.  I like discussing politics, but being a liberal atheist in the Southeast doesn't give a lot of real life outlets for that.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I don't see how this would remotely be something we'd tell someone not to post. But thanks for sharing your point of view on it. 

I took it as him saying there's a ton of us here that argue politics with internet strangers for hours a day and suggested finding some balance with that and other productive things.   More advice than putting down anyone.  He's not wrong.  There are many of us that spend way too much time arguing on the internet.

Joe, would you please cross-post this in the Shark Pool as:

Channeling Your Passion - Other Places Besides This Board?

Thanks.

I also wonder if you might post it this way?

Channeling Your Passion - Other Places Besides Fantasy Football?

Many of you are obviously passionate about fantasy football.

Specifically, I'm wondering if channeling some of the energy into something else besides football might have the most impact. 

The amount of time and energy - and money - spent on fantasy football is incredible. Really wondering how such an invitation to navel gazing would go there.

Do you think being passionate about a political issue is the same as being passionate about fantasy football?

Do you see them both as entertainment?

I took it as him saying there's a ton of us here that argue politics with internet strangers for hours a day and suggested finding some balance with that and other productive things.   More advice than putting down anyone.  He's not wrong.  There are many of us that spend way too much time arguing on the internet.
I see that distinction better now.  Of course, it has also been done that way by others.

I find the whataboutism fascinating.
I really try to avoid that and I ask people to as well. My point was obviously that timewasting here or there is totally the same in terms of quality, it certainly seemed directeed to us.

Thanks for the cross-post though.

What do you think? 
I remember a drink I had with a colleague at a bar years ago and we had just started working together so I think he used it as a stock intro. The question is what do you consider your passions in life outside of survival and family, what are your interests? The point being what do you have outside of work and yaknow providing for oneself and one's own.

For me it's sports, politics, and history. I might throw in reading and writing. I have been involved in local politics. Let's say I threw my passion into that to a fault. It was pretty damaging or potentially damaging. In the end it wasn't, but being here allows me a safe outlet for two of my passions, politics and sports. So knowing me, and knowing how I am, which is quiet but pretty adamant about things if engaged, this is pretty productive for me. I studied Russian history and politics in college (probably could have gotten a major if I hadn't been so practical) and I read Russian literature quite a bit. So I have to be honest with you, I can't think of a single place I can share in that particular passion than here without driving people absolutely crazy. And I can write about it, which I love. I could get back to reading history and current politics but I feel like this is modern history happening as it's happening. Seriously go back in time to feel out what people thought of Watergate and Vietnam, or the end of the Cold War, it's an incredible tool. - You've got people with a wide variety of opinions and backgrounds here. The perspectives are fantastic, even the Trumpians. And it's such a tight group, sizeable but not overwhelming. - I felt the same way about TSP and (wink wink) I've even used my discussion here in football as part of my work. and as Fatguy said I spent copious amounts of time online and desktop as part of my career(s), so actually if I wasn't doing this I'd probably throw my computer out a window and hit a bar in Katmandu. So in general, considering everything I do have going on - yaknow *real passions like family and work - on the whole it's a plus. Now should I drop everything and do something else? Hm, maybe. I read the FFA for discussions like that. I will say I'm an all or nothing kind of guy so when I'm gone I'll be gone. 

Just a final note, when Katrina hit fantasy football here and at FFToday was probably my solace. 2006 was a big earth shattering year for me. Just imagine losing everything you've got and everything you're ever going to have. That's the moment I faced in 2006. That didn't happen, but believe me I have perspective and in a weird way this place helped me with that. 

Having said that since 2016 things have gotten kind of weird around here so leaving has occurred to me more than once. Certainly no fault of yours Joe, you've done a very good job managing the impossible IMO. there is something bigger and potentially dangerous going on in this country and again I think this board has helped me process that. 

Happy Easter/Passover - SID

Agreed, but I’d imagine it’s better then spending that same time arguing in person.  

I find conversing here more productive than watching the news.  Plus, my job requires me to convey analytic/financial information/data in succinct, easily understood ways.  Pulling myself away from the computer and writing a bit actually helps me get out of my own head and look at the bigger picture.

Sure. I find the whataboutism fascinating. 

Posted the exact same question to the Shark Pool.

How about the original question:
It’s a good thing to want to save the world. It’s also important to remember that you have to reserve time and energy for yourself.  For your thoughts, ideas, personality, and mental health. 

There’s a reason when a plane loses pressure you put your own mask on before helping anyone else with theirs.  Lifeguards are taught that if they’re saving someone and about to slam into an obstruction they are to put the other person between them and the obstruction before contact.  

Someone much smarter than I am said you can’t save the whole world every minute of every day.  It’s okay if sometimes you can only save one person.  And it’s okay if that person is yourself. 

I am very sorry that you question why people spend time posting here, and why they spend time reading a book.
We'll just have to disagree then. Asking 

Are you using your gifts and energy most effectively?
is something I've always asked and will continue to ask. Mostly for myself but occasionally for others too. 

I am very sorry that you question why people spend time posting here, and why they spend time reading a book.
Wow, chill out bro. It’s Sunday and you’re  up uptight about something posted on a forum.  Sit back relax and enjoy the day. 

Joe Bryant said:

What do you think? 

I have a couple of closed Facebook groups that we all bounce things off of - heavily moderated, you don't get to be vulgar there like some here are.

I have a couple of other places I visit as well

I am angry about our current state of politics and need to vent. Living in the rural Midwest many of my social media friends are non college educated biker/ monkey wrench kind of guys who support Trump. While I post from time to time about politics on Facebook it is not welcomed by the majority of my friends. They don’t spend much time watching real news instead watch Fox News garbage in the evenings. Here I find more articulate and informed posters who for the most part agree with me.  Also helps I don’t know any of you personally so getting under your skin doesn’t bother me.

What do you think? 
This is where I come sometimes to formulate ideas, how to word them and see how they fly.  If things work here I can sometimes use them in more meaningful arenas.  I think for that reason having discussions here is very efficient. 

Joe Bryant said:

What do you think? 
I post here when I am stuck at work and not working in the community.  It's not either/or for me.  It's "here when I can't be there".

Joe Bryant said:

What do you think? 

I liked your post, many people on here waste a ton of time. I am part of 4 different message boards, and in the last 10 years I might have 10,000 posts combined, that is around 3 posts a day. Even that i feel is too much time wasted.

I generally only post on here while at work.  I usually have plenty of other things to do otherwise but will chime in on here at other hours if I think there's something important to discuss.  I'd rather spend my time with my family or fishing when I'm not working.

This is where I come sometimes to formulate ideas, how to word them and see how they fly.  If things work here I can sometimes use them in more meaningful arenas.  I think for that reason having discussions here is very efficient. 
I've mentioned it before - there is really zero benefit for me to go to a conservative board/forum where everyone has the same views as me. I literally learn nothing and get nothing from that. 

This forum is largely liberal, some far left, most moderately left but the minority conservative .... some poster here are very clever, very sharp and to post a view will be contradicted and dissected. That's a good thing, better bring your A discussion and have the pillars of your views solid 

Plorfu said:
It doesn't really take a lot of time and energy to post stuff. 
People keep saying this and for the most part it isn't true.  If you're keeping up on the thread you are posting in you have to include the time you spend reading the several pages since the last time you read it and the time you spend pondering the topic and formulating your position and talking points.

Sure there are several that don't do the above at all and it is reflected in the quality of their posts and one-liner taking points.

I don`t spend much time here.  A few minutes here and there if I am waiting for someone or have a break during a meeting. More during football season to keep tabs on what is going on.  In the PSF you can basically stay away for months and just jump back in without missing a beat as it is wash, rinse, repeat.

I workout almost everyday with some activity. Spend one Saturday morning a month at a soup kitchen in Detroit a guy I used to work with helps run.  One Saturday a month helping the Ann Arbor animal rescue with their pups and adoptions.   Although I don`t get paid for either they are probably the highlights of my month.   Some of the homeless people I have met are truly great people who have had incredibly bad luck who I really look forward to seeing and talking to, others are just addicts or mentally depressed who all you can do is give them a meal and hope for the best.

I have been helping at the animal shelter for 3 years, also got involved through a friend. When my daughter stopped playing college volleyball I had so much time that was never there before.  I have personally have placed over 100 dogs into forever homes..dogs that were in bad situations and days from getting put down.  I get e-mails every week updating and showing pictures.  Very rewarding.  

@Joe Bryant

Great topic and question, imo.  The fact that some posters gave you grief just goes to show that you can, and some people do, argue anything.

In the past I've caught myself spending too much time here.  It's a futile effort to think you're going to make a difference, change anyone's mind or score some sort of fantasy political points by posting here all day long everyday.  It's a nice little time waster, like some people play a game on their phone when they have an extra 5 or 10 minutes.  But, just like some of those games, too much time is unhealthy and better spent doing something productive in your real life and family.

Your title says Channeling your Passion, unless you're an owner or employee I don't think this place should be your passion.  And if you're not a politician or community leader neither should politics.

Stealthycat said:
I've mentioned it before - there is really zero benefit for me to go to a conservative board/forum where everyone has the same views as me. I literally learn nothing and get nothing from that. 

This forum is largely liberal, some far left, most moderately left but the minority conservative .... some poster here are very clever, very sharp and to post a view will be contradicted and dissected. That's a good thing, better bring your A discussion and have the pillars of your views solid 
This is what's fascinating to me. 

I think you're in the strong minority that don't mind going against the grain.

I think @lazyike said it well above and represents the vast majority of people 

Living in the rural Midwest many of my social media friends are non college educated biker/ monkey wrench kind of guys who support Trump. While I post from time to time about politics on Facebook it is not welcomed by the majority of my friends. They don’t spend much time watching real news instead watch Fox News garbage in the evenings. Here I find more articulate and informed posters who for the most part agree with me. 

The bolded is key. It's neither good nor bad. But super interesting I believe. 

I think you're in the strong minority that don't mind going against the grain.
well ... in all honesty, I'd probably not post much on this political forum if it was strong conservative. I was asked recently who I would spend a 3 day weekend with if given a chance ... not like a historical figure but just who ... and I said an illegal who isn't white that is atheist and gay. THAT would be 3 days I could learn from. 3 days with a guy who hunts and fishes, voted Trump and owns guns? What would I learn from that ? !

but yes, I seek for those who DO NOT agree with me when it comes to politic's etc .... I can learn from that, The Commish, Henry Ford, Dickies, KarmaPolice, SaintInDome2006, TobiasFunke and several others. 

well ... in all honesty, I'd probably not post much on this political forum if it was strong conservative. I was asked recently who I would spend a 3 day weekend with if given a chance ... not like a historical figure but just who ... and I said an illegal who isn't white that is atheist and gay. THAT would be 3 days I could learn from. 3 days with a guy who hunts and fishes, voted Trump and owns guns? What would I learn from that ? !

but yes, I seek for those who DO NOT agree with me when it comes to politic's etc .... I can learn from that, The Commish, Henry Ford, Dickies, KarmaPolice, SaintInDome2006, TobiasFunke and several others. 
Understood. I'm just saying your attitude there is not common. It's neither good nor bad. Just uncommon. 

Users who are viewing this thread