What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Easter Day terrorist attacks Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
https://www.indiatoday.in/world/story/sri-lanka-colombo-blasts-1506589-2019-04-21

Six serial blasts rocked Sri Lanka early on Sunday morning. The explosions hit three churches and three luxury hotels in Colombo and other parts of the country, killing at least 138 people.

At least 138 people have died so far while over 400 others have been injured in the blasts early on Easter Sunday morning, local media reported.

A few local reporters are saying the toll has already crossed 160, however, the figure is yet to be confirmed.

Apr 21, 2019 2:29 pm (IST)

Another bomb blast has been reported from Sri Lanka's Dehiwala, where two people have been reportedly been killed. 
This is now a 7th site.  Numbers all over the place.  What a horrible way to start of Easter.  :(

Apr 21, 2019 2:49 pm (IST)

Curfew Imposed after Eighth Blast | Another explosion has been reported from the Sri Lankan capital Colombo. The blast took place near Dematagoda area. This is the eighth attack in the day. A curfew has been imposed in Sri Lanka. 6pm-6am

7 arrested in Sri Lanka Easter bombings as death toll rises

By Lee Brown

April 21, 2019 | 9:22am

Sri Lankan authorities have arrested seven people over a series of devastating attacks that left at least 207 dead and 450 injured on Easter Sunday.

Near-simultaneous blasts hit three churches and three luxury hotels in the capital Colombo — the worst violence in the South Asian country since its civil war ended a decade ago.

A suicide bomber then struck when police raided a house in a northern suburb of the capital, killing at least three officers, an official speaking on the condition of anonymity told reporters.

Most of the earlier attacks — including another at a guesthouse — were also thought to be suicide bombings, the government said.

Sri Lanka’s defense minister announced that seven suspects had been arrested.

However, police hesitated over a possible motive, with no one yet claiming responsibility for the carnage.

“We cannot say who is behind the attacks and what their intentions were until the investigation is complete,” police spokesperson Ruwan Gunasekara said.

Worshippers and hotel guests were among the dead — with citizens of China, Portugal and the Netherlands also thought to be killed.

Dutch Minister of Foreign Affairs Stef Blok confirmed at least one Dutch national was among the dead.

“The Netherlands has passed its heartfelt condolences to the Sri Lankan people. We stand with you,” he tweeted.

A view of St. Sebastian’s Church, which was damaged in a blast in Negombo, Sri Lanka.AP

President Trump also offered support.

“The United States offers heartfelt condolences to the great people of Sri Lanka. We stand ready to help!” he tweetedSunday morning.

Sri Lanka’s government temporarily blocked social media including Facebook and Instagram to stem ” false news reports” being spread.

The archbishop of Colombo also called for calm and urged Sri Lankans not to “take the law into their own hands.”

St. Anthony’s Shrine and the three hotels where the blasts took place are in Colombo, and are frequented by foreign tourists.

Local TV showed damage at the Cinnamon Grand, Shangri-La and Kingsbury hotels.

The Shangri-La’s second-floor restaurant was gutted in the blast, with the ceiling and windows blown out. Loose wires hung and tables were overturned in the blackened space.

A police magistrate was at the hotel to inspect the bodies recovered from the restaurant. From outside the police cordon, three bodies could be seen covered in white sheets.

Sri Lanka’s government temporarily blocked social media including Facebook and Instagram to stem ” false news reports” being spread.
This always makes me curious when I read this. My questions are: how is this done? And does our federal government have the ability to do this? 

Just terrible.  I found the Sri Lankan people to be some of the happiest and most friendly people in the world.  Thoughts and prayers.

At least 215 killed and 450 injured.

The Wikipedia page on the attacks is a good source for info. It's being updated pretty quickly as things develop.

It looks like there's evidence that the attacks were done by a radical Islamist group (though not completely verified).

Last edited by a moderator:
At least 215 killed and 450 injured.

The Wikipedia page on the attacks is a good source for info. It's being updated pretty quickly as things develop.

It looks like there's evidence that the attacks were done by a radical Islamist group (though not completely verified).
I think a lot of people are holding off commenting on what happened until finding out for sure who was responsible.  The Buddhist/Muslim/Christian divide in Sri Lanka is a crazy relationship. 

I'm waiting to hear back from a former grad student of mine who is from there and back living there now.  We've stayed in touch through the years as I've written quite a number of recommendations for her.  

Now up to 290 dead.  Intelligence is reporting the NTJ (National Thowheeth Jama'ath) is likely behind the attacks.  Several reports that at least a couple of the bombings were suicide vests. 

MORNING HEADLINES....

7 suicide bombers.

24 arrests.

Some Americans we're killed.

Police had prior information of possible attacks.

Social Media sites were blocked.  I'm not sure I agree with this.  People are still trying to track down loved ones.

radical muslim group has been identified ...... the targets were Christians on Easter

NZ blew up when a radical attacked a muslim mosque ... knee jerking to Govt gun laws changing in just a few days time. What will be the swift actions here ? 

They're also reporting that authorities were warned weeks ago about possible attacks. 

radical muslim group has been identified ...... the targets were Christians on Easter

NZ blew up when a radical attacked a muslim mosque ... knee jerking to Govt gun laws changing in just a few days time. What will be the swift actions here ? 

They're also reporting that authorities were warned weeks ago about possible attacks. 
Sad to say I'm not surprised this isn't getting anywhere near the buzz that the New Zealand terrorist attack got despite 6 times the death count.

Sad to say I'm not surprised this isn't getting anywhere near the buzz that the New Zealand terrorist attack got despite 6 times the death count.
me either - maybe its because it was Sri Lanka that has tough gun laws and it cant' be used for agenda ?? that makes most sense .... its treated as another terrorist bombing/attack is all by US media

when in fact, it was another muslim attack, it was targeting Christians it appears ... and that's not politically correct in the environment of US media 

What do you base this on? Both stories are the leading every news broadcast. 

I would have guessed NZ would have gotten a lot more coverage because we are much more familiar with that country, but that’s not been my impression so far. 

I would have guessed NZ would have gotten a lot more coverage because we are much more familiar with that country, but that’s not been my impression so far. 
I'm basing it on the 7 pages worth of posts the NZ thread got in the first two days.  I thought for sure this would be trending here this morning, had to scroll down to almost the bottom of page 1 to find it.  Down past the Russia thread, something about Liz Warren and Betsy Devos and a whole lot of more important stuff.  But, It's still early though.

me either - maybe its because it was Sri Lanka that has tough gun laws and it cant' be used for agenda ?? that makes most sense .... its treated as another terrorist bombing/attack is all by US media

when in fact, it was another muslim attack, it was targeting Christians it appears ... and that's not politically correct in the environment of US media 

Starts with a T and ends with a rump.[\spoiler]

Agreed. I turned on CNN in the car this morning and they were talking about it. 5 minutes later, switched to MSNBC and they were talking about it.  Maybe he wanted a national day off of work?

timschochet said:

There is zero upside to pointing out what gets more coverage, but are you suggesting the coverage for the New Zealand murders has been similar to the Sri Lanka murders?

Has one been covered more or less than the other? 

There is zero upside to pointing out what gets more coverage, but are you suggesting the coverage for the New Zealand murders has been similar to the Sri Lanka murders?

It was two other posters who brought this up, apparently as an attempt to argue that the news media doesn’t like to cover murder of Christians as much as they do murder of Muslims (that’s what Stealthycat said anyhow; tonydead will have to speak for himself.) I haven’t noticed any major difference in coverage and that’s what I wrote in my post which was a response. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopinion/comments/bfq3y6/reddit_not_covering_the_sri_lanka_bombings_the/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

This is the thread on twitter that finally started to trend after users noticed that they had to dig to find coverage of the attacks.

As you can see it took /r/unpopularopionion to get it trending. Read through the replies and see how the big internet was feeling.

The story cant be used to bash guns and doesnt hit any liberal talking points, so it dies quick.

I think there  are a few reasons for a difference in attention.  We had live video of the NZ attacks basically going on.  And then the general lack of knowledge of Sri Lanka.

Had that happened in England, do you think coverage would be more extensive and people in here more apt to talk about it?

tonydead said:
I'm basing it on the 7 pages worth of posts the NZ thread got in the first two days.  I thought for sure this would be trending here this morning, had to scroll down to almost the bottom of page 1 to find it.  Down past the Russia thread, something about Liz Warren and Betsy Devos and a whole lot of more important stuff.  But, It's still early though.

Starts with a T and ends with a rump.[\spoiler]
And you had how many posts in those first 7 pages to your two here?

Note: this isnt an attempt to talk about a poster...but pointing it out because you had several in that thread on page one about the video (and it relates to the point of how big the topic was here)...perhaps the video is why that had a ton of coverage as it had you discussing that one more than this as well.  

Along with familiarity of NZ vs Sri Lanka)

I think there  are a few reasons for a difference in attention.  We had live video of the NZ attacks basically going on.  And then the general lack of knowledge of Sri Lanka.

Had that happened in England, do you think coverage would be more extensive and people in here more apt to talk about it?
I agree with the live video angle being big and think the newer angle of white supremacy also played a part. 

I dont think location had a lot to do with it.

I agree with the live video angle being big and think the newer angle of white supremacy also played a part. 

I dont think location had a lot to do with it.
Really?  You don’t think a major bombing in England wouldn’t have a bigger following?  The fire at Norte Dame did...because there was familiarity with it.  People could connect to it.  

Really?  You don’t think a major bombing in England wouldn’t have a bigger following?  The fire at Norte Dame did...because there was familiarity with it.  People could connect to it.  
You might be right. I forum checked the last terrorist event in England that I could remember. The Arianna Grande concert bombing and that thread hit 15 pages.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/756217-explosions-in-manchester/page/15/

Funny though was skimming through the first page, there was already talk about how poorly CNN was covering it. 

It was two other posters who brought this up, apparently as an attempt to argue that the news media doesn’t like to cover murder of Christians as much as they do murder of Muslims (that’s what Stealthycat said anyhow; tonydead will have to speak for himself.) I haven’t noticed any major difference in coverage and that’s what I wrote in my post which was a response. 
I was talking about in this forum. Anyone happen to mention another bomb went off today?  

There is just no reason for this crap
Correct but it will never stop. I will never understand what killing hundreds of innocent people accomplishes in the end.  Muslim terrorists bomb Christians on Easter Sunday..does that really help the muslim cause or hurt their people in the long run? 

A deranged man kills muslims in their place of worship..does that help whatever cause or hurt the cause?  Both are hurt.

As far as the outrage and coverage for some reason NZ got much more.  Nobody is really talking as much about this.  Maybe because half the people have no idea where Sri Lanka even is.

Users who are viewing this thread