What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hall & Oates: Favorite Song (1 Viewer)

All-Time Ranking

• All-Time HOF

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Great Band

Votes: 53 57.0%
  • Mediocre

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • They Suck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I chose “mediocre band”, but had there been an option between “mediocre” and “great,” I would have voted for that.  Perhaps an option of “good band” is in order?

Also, one notable song suggestion to add:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DCpwTH4dY0&app=desktop
Agreed about there needing to be a "good band" option. 

One on One and Method of Modern Love are the other notable omissions, regarding their hits. 

Maneater would get my vote, but I cannot vote since none of the options in the 2nd poll are ones I can choose. 

They were very good at what they did in that era and they were deserving of the Cleveland enshrinement.  That said, I have no itching desire to ever listen to a Hall & Oats song again.

Feel like we’ve discussed them quite a bit over the years.

IMO a very high quality band that doesn’t get enough respect outside their extraordinary  number of hits. 

My favorite among those listed is “Did It In a Minute”

Went with She's Gone. Always liked them. Could use a "really good" option. Went with great, just because their songs, as Leroy points out, hold up well for being hits at the time.

As far as Cleveland, I did not know that.

Off topic: The Zombies are in for '19, and they are truly deserving. 

Always been a fan of H&O.  Love the soul/R&B element of their music.  Daryl Hall is generally underrated. 

Saw them on the H2O tour back in the day, and thinking of taking the wife to one of their shows this summer. Would love to see them perform one more time. 

Given the options I'll go with great band - as others have mentioned if there was a "good band" options I probably would have gone with that.  If they come on the radio I definitely don't change the channel but I don't seek out their music.  They had a ton of hits and some of their stuff still holds up.  Mediocre definitely doesn't describe them.

Great band.  Voted for You Make My Dreams, then realized I forgot about She's Gone.  Very strong catalog.  

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I like to do on these types of polls is after I vote I will check Spotify and Amazon Music to see which song comes up first.  It's my understanding they list the songs by popularity.

For both the top song was "You Make My Dreams".

Sara Smile is my favorite H&O song because it is truly a pleasure to sing. Maneater is my favorite H&O record because it's their song i most want to sing & can't, so that's what really sets em above. My first great musical experience was going down to Philly w my gf who had an invitation to sing with a HS choir down there and meeting, most importantly, so many white & black people who loved singing together (late 60s) but, almost equally, appreciating the joy & spirit of their musical identity. Hall & Oates joins Rundgren as the ultimate capturers of the Anglo side of TSOP, making them almost a great band so i'll give them TBOTD, but there really should be a 'good' option.

Went with She's Gone. Always liked them. Could use a "really good" option. Went with great, just because their songs, as Leroy points out, hold up well for being hits at the time.

As far as Cleveland, I did not know that.

Off topic: The Zombies are in for '19, and they are truly deserving. 
:thumbup:  Love the Zombies. I saw them about a decade ago in Long Beach and they sounded amazingly good, like they came straight from the 60s in a time machine.

I hear Hall talking about how they couldn't get played on mainstream radio in the beginning because of their "motown" sound.

They were a great 80's band with many great 80's songs, not quite rock though.   Enjoy their music.  Tough to make a call on which song is their best.   Went with Rich Girl, but it is a coin toss with the songs running too 3.  Well, I guess it would have to be more than one coin toss.  

They were a great 80's band with many great 80's songs, not quite rock though.   Enjoy their music.  Tough to make a call on which song is their best.   Went with Rich Girl, but it is a coin toss with the songs running too 3.  Well, I guess it would have to be more than one coin toss.  
I favor their 70's music the most. Rich Girl is actually from '77, Sara Smile is from '75, and She's Gone is from '73.  Their Abandoned Luncheonette album from '73 is great.

Yes!  jon and I agree on something!

Did you also choose Rich Girl based on knowing my wife?

HOF Band and it's not close...have seen them live twice.

I'll go with Out of Touch as the best song today, but I could easily vote for 10 others.  Few bands have their portfolio of #1 hits.

I favor their 70's music the most. Rich Girl is actually from '77, Sara Smile is from '75, and She's Gone is from '73.  Their Abandoned Luncheonette album from '73 is great.
They did 80's music before the 80's.  Pioneers.  

Voted HOF and Maneater, but easily could have voted any of these:

• I Can't Go for That
  • Family Man
  • Out of Touch
  • Sara Smile
I don't play their music much, but have a lot of it in iTunes because my wife was a big fan. I agree with others that they have a deep catalog that has held up well. IMO they are HOF at what they do.

They did 80's music before the 80's.  Pioneers.  
What is "'80s music?" When I think '80s, I think of the brit-pop influenced stuff. John Hughes films, Thompson Twins, Life in a Northern Town, and then more crucially, the Cure, Smiths, Echo, U2...Eno-influenced music with heavy ambient elements. Even Bananarama and the Bangles had some of that. Or in the US, that borderline coke-psychosis Miami Vice stuff. Hall & Oats would be the last band I would think of other than the fact that they actually were around and had hits.

This may be old news, but Daryl Hall does a web cast called:

Live From Daryl’s House

He has musicians come to his home studio and jam. Seems really casual and well produced. There are like 75 episodes and some are really good.

Users who are viewing this thread