What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I Was Promised The Commies Weren't Coming For Everything, And You Know How That Worked Out (1 Viewer)

Oh come on. What's the big deal about telling little black kids that their dream world includes lots of big watermelons?
Almost every white entertainer from that era sang songs with racist words and phrases. (Along with most of the black performers too, as rockaction correctly points out.) What are we to do? Should we shun them all? 

Yeah, that's what I said.

This forum is a cesspool. 
What's the problem then?  A private business is stopping doing something because they feel it will help them make money. You going to boycott the White Sox until they return to those softball shorts uniforms of the 70s?

So a private entity commits a public relations move to enhance its private coffers at the behest of apolitical pressures and we move the discussion and result to the political forum.

That sounds about right, I guess. Here it dies.  
This forum is just really the forum where people will disagree about things. I’m pretty sure vaccinations thread got put in here originally (maybe still is) which I thought was ridiculous. I’m not sure what is or isn’t “political” anymore.

I'm reclaiming commie.

San Dimas High School football rules! 

On a serious note, conservatives are allowed to use words for ironic and humorously serious effect, too. It's long been said conservatives have no sense of humor. Irony is a humorist's and satirist's device at times.
Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

I can never remember why I don’t try to have reasonable conversations with you.  I’m sure it will come to me. 
Hmm...coming from the guy who aligns himself with the movement that gave us boys competing in girls' track and field in high school, I often wonder the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This forum is just really the forum where people will disagree about things. I’m pretty sure vaccinations thread got put in here originally (maybe still is) which I thought was ridiculous. I’m not sure what is or isn’t “political” anymore.
Which is what people like me used to wonder when they started the sub-forum. That certain topics would inevitably become quasi-political even if there was nothing political about them because, contrary to public opinion, almost everything becomes a function of the polis (the broad definition, not the city-state) at some point.

The most recent and most modernly comprehensive -- some say best -- book about the history of the societal arguments pro- and con- vaccination in America, Pox by Michael Willrich, eventually leads us to a Supreme Court decision about forced inoculation. That's political. 

See the editorial reviews, not the consumers' reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Pox-American-History-Penguin-Life/dp/0143120786

Which is what people like me used to wonder when they started the sub-forum. That certain topics would inevitably become quasi-political even if there was nothing political about them because, contrary to public opinion, almost everything becomes a function of the polis (the broad definition, not the city-state) at some point.

The most recent and most modernly comprehensive -- some say best -- book about the history of the societal arguments pro- and con- vaccination in America, Pox by Michael Willrich, eventually leads us to a Supreme Court decision about forced inoculation. That's political. 

See the editorial reviews, not the consumers' reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Pox-American-History-Penguin-Life/dp/0143120786
Somewhat related I read a lawyer in Michigan was able to win our first ever case of forcing someone to check into drug rehab through a court order.

Somewhat related I read a lawyer in Michigan was able to win our first ever case of forcing someone to check into drug rehab through a court order.
Huh. A lot of states have a sort of symbiotic relationship between the judicial/legal apparatus and rehabilitation facilities in order to avoid jail time. Is that what happened in this case?

Huh. A lot of states have a sort of symbiotic relationship between the judicial/legal apparatus and rehabilitation facilities in order to avoid jail time. Is that what happened in this case?
I can’t find the article anywhere...I’m pretty sure I was awake but I guess I could have dreamt it. It wasn’t related to an arrest, it was basically a family member suing another family member to force them to go to drug rehab and the court ordered in favor of the forced rehab.

Almost every white entertainer from that era sang songs with racist words and phrases. (Along with most of the black performers too, as rockaction correctly points out.) What are we to do? Should we shun them all? 
Yes we should ban all their songs, remove every footprint of them including their Hollywood star, Wikipedia etc, make their heirs pay reparations considering their fortune was made singing racist songs.  As a society we have to right all our wrongs from the past so we can all feel better.  Unicorns and rainbows for all.  

I can’t find the article anywhere...I’m pretty sure I was awake but I guess I could have dreamt it. It wasn’t related to an arrest, it was basically a family member suing another family member to force them to go to drug rehab and the court ordered in favor of the forced rehab.
Wow. That's quite a step. It usually takes more than one member of a family to have somebody institutionalized in some form or another. And even then, there's generally due process given to the accused or party named to the suit. I wonder what the fine print is on this. 

We need to rename all the colleges, schools, streets, libraries. Etc.  Lets start with Yale since it’s named after a slave trader.  What could we change it too?  Maybe Yale could donate all of its 30.0 billion plus endowment for the reparations to get things started?   

I kind of like this idea of washing all racists from the history books.  Let's start with FDR.  Did not support federal law to outlaw lynching.  Appointed life-time KKK member to Supreme Court.  Put 120,000 Japanese Americans in internment camps.  Obvious racist.  Can we wipe out all the laws he passed while we are at it?  TIA. 

I kind of like this idea of washing all racists from the history books.  Let's start with FDR.  Did not support federal law to outlaw lynching.  Appointed life-time KKK member to Supreme Court.  Put 120,000 Japanese Americans in internment camps.  Obvious racist.  Can we wipe out all the laws he passed while we are at it?  TIA. 
The Supreme Court precedents are where I'd start. Obviously racist, would-have been packed court, FDR remnant wants to give standing to trees.

Cue Henry Ford. 

After Yale, Harvard university, which has a rich slave history, can donate its 38.0 billion endowment and change its name too.  Quick this sleigh ride is gaining speed.  All abroad....

Imagine looking at the state of the world in April, 2019 and picking this as the hill you want to die on.

Yeah, I can't do it either.
I totally agree with your entire post. It was just something that struck me while reading a sports article before the hockey game yesterday. I casually asked twice for the thread to be deleted because of my own poor judgment in starting it during Easter and Passover, but that said, it can be a good discussion.

It can also be dead serious while being ironically light-hearted, too. Some people are having trouble with that concept -- or I'm just not funny. Either way...

The Supreme Court precedents are where I'd start. Obviously racist, would-have been packed court, FDR remnant wants to give standing to trees.

Cue Henry Ford. 
The interesting thing is I always assumed that Henry Ford used that moniker ironically given his wokeness.

If not: :oldunsure:

Can't tell if this post was intended to be humor or sarcasm, but either way it is a bad analogy.

FDR's lack of support for a federal anti-lynching law had nothing to do with racism, and everything to do with A) pragmatism, and B) a belief that lynching was an issue of enforcing existing laws, not an issue of writing new ones.

Hugo Black was not a lifetime KKK member. He was a member for less than 2 years early 1920s. And there's no evidence that FDR knew about it in 1937. (The fact that someone in the KKK later attempted to give Black a "lifetime membership card" is not a persuasive argument, as there's no evidence that Black accepted their unsolicited offer.)

The Japanese-Americans were interned based on their proximity to a country we were at war with. To assume that FDR was motivated by hatred of a race instead of hatred of a specific country, is to assume facts not in evidence.

FDR was no saint, and his record on racial equality is spotty at best. But your examples don't even bring FDR up to the level of the average slaveholding president of the 1800s.

The interesting thing is I always assumed that Henry Ford used that moniker ironically given his wokeness.

If not: :oldunsure:
Heh. I can't really speak for Henry and why he chose that name. I do know that his old avatar was, I think, Henry Ford himself. 

Can't tell if this post was intended to be humor or sarcasm, but either way it is a bad analogy.

FDR's lack of support for a federal anti-lynching law had nothing to do with racism, and everything to do with A) pragmatism, and B) a belief that lynching was an issue of enforcing existing laws, not an issue of writing new ones.

Hugo Black was not a lifetime KKK member. He was a member for less than 2 years early 1920s. And there's no evidence that FDR knew about it in 1937. (The fact that someone in the KKK later attempted to give Black a "lifetime membership card" is not a persuasive argument, as there's no evidence that Black accepted their unsolicited offer.)

The Japanese-Americans were interned based on their proximity to a country we were at war with. To assume that FDR was motivated by hatred of a race instead of hatred of a specific country, is to assume facts not in evidence.

FDR was no saint, and his record on racial equality is spotty at best. But your examples don't even bring FDR up to the level of the average slaveholding president of the 1800s.
Pretty good post. A far better example of a racist president  who potentially  presents a dilemma  for Democrats is Woodrow Wilson. In the case of Wilson there is no question of pragmatism or “man of his times”; he was an outspoken white supremacist  who segregated Washington. Yet his name remains on high schools, statues, memorials all over the country. 

The Japanese-Americans were interned based on their proximity to a country we were at war with.
The bolded sounds like a reason to oppose hate crimes and sounds like pragmatism is a function of historicism.

The Hugo Black and Japanese internment defenses are weak sauce. Both are racially-motivated or products of racism that are stains on our nation's history. I don't think you'll find much agreement among people who do not believe in historicism.

Thankfully, I do believe in historicism -- to an extent, and given the benign nature of the actions -- and don't hold people that guilty for human rights abuses at the time of their cultural and societal prominence.  Which is why this thread exists. The benign nature of her singing two songs -- only one mentioned in the article -- that were racist in 1930 and removal of her statue or even playing a different song forthwith is exactly the type of ahistoricism I'm talking about. Frequently practiced by none other than...

commies. 

I haven’t seen you this upset since you got a private message quoting your own words and thought the mods were saying them to you. 
Yes, that was embarrassing. So would be ten pages of insisting that Robert Kraft was involved in the sex trade and then still doubling down and not admitting I was incorrect.

But I'm not upset in the least. Simply using the word "commie" is delightful today. 

I’ve repeatedly discussed it on the board.  It’s around 
Okay. I haven't seen it. You're ornery today. I was being cautious and not putting words in your mouth or presuming your intent. It was out of respect to you and your motive for naming yourself (dead serious here). 

What? No it doesn’t. 
Sure it does. The belief that existing laws are enough if prosecuted and executed correctly is one of the main arguments that those against hate crimes use. So is the pragmatist argument, which states that we can never really know motive and shouldn't assume what deep issues motivate someone when committing a crime like assault or battery. 

Yes, that was embarrassing. So would be ten pages of insisting that Robert Kraft was involved in the sex trade and then still doubling down and not admitting I was incorrect.

But I'm not upset in the least. Simply using the word "commie" is delightful today. 
You should reread and see if I apologized in that thread for my conclusions based on what now appears to be incorrect statements on the case.  I did.  

But if you want to start bringing up everything wrong each other has ever said in every subsequent thread, I guess that’s your call.  It was nice speaking with you occasionally.  All the best. 

Why not? You should. Most times they knew what they were doing and somebody at the time said it was wrong. 
Because that's my take on things. I'm able to value the values of yesterday and today, but I'm willing to see people as partially products of their space and time. 

You should reread and see if I apologized in that thread for my conclusions based on what now appears to be incorrect statements on the case.  I did.  

But if you want to start bringing up everything wrong each other has ever said in every subsequent thread, I guess that’s your call.  It was nice speaking with you occasionally.  All the best. 
I actually said they shouldn't have called you out and defended your position in that thread. At length. For hours. After the spa was exonerated from sex trafficking. And I did see the apology, mixed with doubling down. 

Best to you as well. 

Sure it does. The belief that existing laws are enough if prosecuted and executed correctly is one of the main arguments that those against hate crimes use. So is the pragmatist argument, which states that we can never really know motive and shouldn't assume what deep issues motivate someone when committing a crime like assault or battery. 
The pragmatist argument doesn’t state that we can’t know. In the case of FDR we DO know, because there was much discussion at the time. FDR was opposed to the anti-lynching laws, and to ending segregation, because he needed southern support for the New Deal. This isn’t debated by historians. 

Because that's my take on things. I'm able to value the values of yesterday and today, but I'm willing to see people as partially products of their space and time. 
Partially is fine. But if there are well known and respected critics at the time of the action then we can make certain judgments. 

Abraham Lincoln can be forgiven his racism because he was a man of his time; I can accept that. FDR cannot be forgiven for the internment of the Japanese because people at the time, including some close to him, told him it was wrong, yet he did it anyhow: probably not for racist reasons but out of fear and political expediency. Doesn’t matter it was still wrong and he doesn’t get a pass. 

Partially is fine. But if there are well known and respected critics at the time of the action then we can make certain judgments. 

Abraham Lincoln can be forgiven his racism because he was a man of his time; I can accept that. FDR cannot be forgiven for the internment of the Japanese because people at the time, including some close to him, told him it was wrong, yet he did it anyhow: probably not for racist reasons but out of fear and political expediency. Doesn’t matter it was still wrong and he doesn’t get a pass. 
I think the level of the transgression is something to be considered in the historicism calculus, for sure. In other words, death, slavery, and imprisonment are all way, way up there in terms of a sliding scale regarding how much history one wants to take into account.

Cutting a song about "darkies" in 1930 is very low on that scale.

Users who are viewing this thread