What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did you go to a church Easter service yesterday? (1 Viewer)

Did you go to a church Easter service yesterday?

• Yes, and I go to church regularly

Votes: 39 20.5%
  • Yes, and I go to church occasionally

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Yes, and I go to church mainly on holidays such as Easter

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • No, but I do go to church regularly/occasionally

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • No, and I rarely/never go to church

Votes: 122 64.2%

• Total voters

nirad3

Footballguy
For the past couple of years I've been taking my kids to a church down the street.   We went to Easter service yesterday.  It was great.  Kids came into the worship hall and sang a couple tunes with the band, everyone was in springtime getups, and there was a great egg hunt for the kids afterwards.

I'm not overly religious and am not about to get into some heated debate about religion, really just wondering if people go to church services on holidays like Easter.  It was a nice kickoff to Spring.

What say you, FFA?

Yes - I'm not religious, but my wife is Catholic.  She goes to church mainly on major religious holidays, and wants to bring the kids - which is the main reason I go.  Without fail, one of them has a meltdown, and I have to step out with whichever one freaks out so she can get her body of Christ crackers and Jesus juice.

And I guess I shouldn't be mixing ogling with the Lord, but seeing ladies in springtime sundresses is always nice.   :excited:

Did not go, not religious at all and while wifes family is fairly religious she has not been interested in going last few years.  We did go for Christmas Eve and Easter when the kids were younger but they are not into it and nobody ends up enjoying it so we just stay home and meet up with her family afterwards 

I'm not religious but even if I was church service is so meh.  It's the same memorized prayers and responses that people just recite like mindless zombies.  How is that supposed to instill faith?  If I were spiritual, I'd probably find my own way to practice.  Or go to one of those baptist churches were the choir really does it up and the pastor gives an excited sermon like he's a WWF wrestler giving a promo.  Those are pretty cool.   

Ya I went. I usually go, but wife and kids mainly because Easter. So basically opposite family situation as everyone else. 

Spent the weekend in the hills (family thing) or would have been in church.  Not that I go often, but the wife does with her mom and sisters.

If some need a God in their life I'm cool with it, I do know this....those I know with a God in their life are better off than those I know without God. 

I go with sure something is responsible*** for all this, just have a hard time with the Bible, do think that is more Homerific/mythologogy than actual facts.

*** DNA by chance?

This was the first Easter in 23 years that we did not have a child at home.  My wife had a tough time with that but she persevered. 

We're not religious so no services for us.

We watched Life of Brian, ate a honey-baked ham with au gratin potatoes and drank a fantastic bottle of Zin.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to go regularly when the kids were growing up but haven't been in a while.

Mrs Eephus wanted to go on Sunday morning so we did.  It was fine.

We didn’t and rarely if ever go to church. Sometimes almost feel guilty with young kids but am more of a golden rule guy, don’t feel like I take a lot away from services. Totally respect those that do, just doesn’t do it for me. 

I was actually at both services, given that I regularly play the tympani on Easter to accompany the choir and handbell choir on a couple of hymns and the concluding Hallelujah Chorus (Presbyterian Church).  My wife, both grown children (with significant others) and two young grandsons attended the second service.  We then retreated to our house for a fancy lunch and nice afternoon.

My wife and I basically attend every week, which we've done throughout our marriage (and as I did growing up).  Our kids always enjoyed the church as they grew up.  They like to come back, particularly on the holidays, to see their friends and just to be in their church 'home.'  It's a good thing.

Totally respect those that do, just doesn’t do it for me. 
This is pretty much where I am now, although the "respect those that do" has taken some time.   I had a way-too-baptist upbringing. By about 14, I figured out that I wanted no part of it.  I subsequently spent much of my 20s being your typical loud jerky athiest.    Now I'm just a jerk in other ways.

I have a kid -- Wife and I almost never go to church, but usually will go with my parents for Christmas and Easter services.   My mom still tries to get my boy to go with them to church (which he does, sometimes.  I leave it up to him.) 

Thursday mass then pilgrimage with my 5th grader to visit various churches in the area (Catholic churches are open until 11 or 12 o'clock on Holy Thursday to give folks a chance to spend time with Jesus and remember the night he was betrayed).

Friday I went to stations at 3:00 but skipped the 7:30 communion service and veneration of the cross.  Normally I go to this but not this year.

Saturday vigil mass at sundown.

Sunday morning mass.

The triduum is like a retreat for me every year.  We go to mass weekly and I have been trying to get to daily mass more often lately as well.

I did not attend church on Easter Sunday and am feeling the guilt that goes along with being Catholic. I should really find the church in my area and attend one of these days.

I did not, and that is normal for my wife and I. I don't think we've been to church for other than a wedding or funeral since we've been married.

I did not attend church on Easter Sunday and am feeling the guilt that goes along with being Catholic. I should really find the church in my area and attend one of these days.
My wife and I used to take our daughter to church at least every other week.  We haven't gone since Xmas but my daughter goes with the in-laws most weeks.  This is the first Easter service I have missed in over ten years and Easter didn't feel the same.   I think I'm going to be a C&E church goer.  

I was raised catholic but I don't believe in god, but still go to install faith in my kids because of wifey!  We found church of nazarene much better than catholics mass.  And doesn't feel like your in a cult.  But basically an hour nap for me😁

Took kids to Saturday night vigil for the first time; we probably only go like 10 times a year. I’d say I have more “hope” than faith. It’s definitely a long service but nice that it’s different than the standard service. There was a song though that named like all the saints of all time... “Timothy and Michael.....pray for us”; like 100 verses. I kept giving my daughter bug eyes and we were trying not to laugh.

This thread reminds me how much damage many religious groups have done to the gospel of Jesus.  If the truth of who he was and what he came to do where clearly preached and practiced in churches throughout the last few decades, this thread would have a totally different tone.

Instead you get a bunch of jokes and eye rolls towards what is considered the celebration of the greatest event in human history.

I attended our church and worked in the parking lot, like I do every Sunday.  Our church had 3 services on Saturday evening as well, but we went out of town to visit some in-laws or I would have been there for that, too.  I love the place, the people and it has shaped nearly everything about my life.  From my marriage, to how I raise my kids, to who I spend my time with, to how I work to what I do with my spare time, so much of who I am was learned and influenced by the people and teaching of the church.

During the service, they showed a video of a man who had his life changed by God.  He was 50 years old, on his 3rd marriage, an alcoholic and depressed when his wife started getting him to come to church.  After a few weeks of coming to church, he finally decided he believed in Jesus and it changed his entire life.  For the past 10 years now, he has had a great marriage, has been sober and no more depression.  God saved not just his soul from hell, but his life on earth.  That is what God does for people and that is what the church should be about.  Our church is filled with 100's of these type of stories and it is why nearly 10,000 people show up every week in a small city in Southwest Missouri.  Not because of a nice building or tradition or smooth sermons or entertaining music, but because it is bringing purpose and life to many people who desperately need it by simply teaching and practicing the Bible.  That is what Easter is about. 

ehhh, I guess.  I don't consider those part of church canon.  More like folk carols, but whatever.  
They sang them for Church when I used to attend. Maybe that's not normal? Also ofcourse Handel's Messiah is fantastic as well but most church choirs can't handle that. 

I spent the day with my daughter enjoying the beauty of nature in one of our national parks.  I think Jesus was happy with that.

Ilov80s said:
They sang them for Church when I used to attend. Maybe that's not normal? Also of course Handel's Messiah is fantastic as well but most church choirs can't handle that. 
It's perfectly normal. I wouldn't let his confusion become yours. These are part of just about any church's hymnal. No idea how someone that has attended a Christmas service wouldn't know this.

Users who are viewing this thread