What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Teens and Glasses/Eyes advice (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
paging @Mad Cow

So long story short - back in February - daughter (13 years old) had general pediatrician check up.  Doc said her vision was near sighted at 20/45.  Nurse saw this on her physical papers and said that she need eye exam before she would sign off on physical.  Nurse gives her eye test and said she is 20/40 good enough to play sports without glasses.

Take her to eye doc and he has her at 20/30 :lol:    

He says if she feels she doesn't need them that she will be fine.  If she were driving he would definitely    recommend glasses.

He basically said right now it would be like going SD to HD.  If we wanted to get a cheap pair of glasses to see if she even bothered wearing them. She doesnt want them and said she is fine

Am I "over worried" that I should get her glasses now?   Should I get another eye test before a year is up?

If my daughter starts with glasses will her eyes get worse? (i now this is a wives tale with reading glasses)  We've been implementing the 20 - 20 rule for tablet viewing.

Are glasses really needed at 20/30?

ETA: Daughters age 13

Last edited by a moderator:
Has your daughter done the 1-2?  3-4?  5-6? thingy.  I would think she'd want the best vision possible and try contacts at the optometrist's office.  If she hates them, so be it.  Maybe she will want to see in HD.

He basically said right now it would be like going SD to HD.  If we wanted to get a cheap pair of glasses to see if she even bothered wearing them. She doesnt want them and said she is fine
This is exactly what my thirteen year-old nephew said about his glasses. "It's like HD," he said.

Huh. Maybe he heard that from the optometrist. 

Does she play a lot of sports? I have a nephew whose eyesight is similar to your daughter's. He doesn't need (or want) glasses for soccer, but he just recently decided to start wearing them for basketball.

Note I have never needed glasses. Well except for readers recently. My wife has needed them since she was very young

Does she play a lot of sports? I have a nephew whose eyesight is similar to your daughter's. He doesn't need (or want) glasses for soccer, but he just recently decided to start wearing them for basketball.
Yes. She plays field hockey and softball. Doc said they could help in softball since the speed is higher. I said she catches now without them and he pretty much said, well guess not lol.  He's a good guy.  My wife says not to bother yet, I'm in the can't hurt camp. Although it doesn't appear to hampering her from what I can tell. Guy I coached with said he played at 20/60 lol

May help with softball.  I think I first realized that I needed glasses when I was playing outfield in Babe Ruth baseball, and was having trouble picking up the ball.  I think I misjudged three fly balls in the course of one inning, and was quickly benched and mostly relegated to 1B (a lefty, so not really any other place in the infield to put me) thereafter.  

I’m not sure what my vision was at that time though.

What is the actual Rx?  What sports and what positions?  That can help me. :)

My 9 year old has 20/30 and has worn glasses since he was 2. He wears expensive sports glasses for baseball. He loves them BTW.

I wore glasses my whole childhood due to poor vision in one eye. Finally, when I was in HS I had enough of the glasses and asked the doc if I stopped wearing them would my eyes get worse and he said no. 41 right now and still don't wear glasses.

My son raised his batting average about 100 points and decreased his strikeout rate once he started wearing glasses, actually contacts.  He hated glasses.

If it's only marginally better why make her wear them if she doesn't want them
In junior high, I was kind of what your daughter is with vision.  I fought hard not to get glasses.  My grades began to suffer because I couldn't read the board a lot of times and in baseball, I was always getting yelled at.  Third base coach would be livid I missed a sign or the catcher would be pissed I threw a heater when he was expecting a breaking ball.  In high school, I finally got contacts and it changed my life.  I thought my vision was OK without contacts, but when I finally put them on, the difference was night and day.  My vision is still the same as it was when I first got contacts.  At least for far sightedness.  When I take my contacts off now I wonder how the hell I was ever able to even walk without hurting myself.  

At 13, she could get contacts, so there's no worry of people mocking glasses.  So I don't really see a downside to contacts.  

In junior high, I was kind of what your daughter is with vision.  I fought hard not to get glasses.  My grades began to suffer because I couldn't read the board a lot of times and in baseball, I was always getting yelled at.  Third base coach would be livid I missed a sign or the catcher would be pissed I threw a heater when he was expecting a breaking ball.  In high school, I finally got contacts and it changed my life.  I thought my vision was OK without contacts, but when I finally put them on, the difference was night and day.  My vision is still the same as it was when I first got contacts.  At least for far sightedness.  When I take my contacts off now I wonder how the hell I was ever able to even walk without hurting myself.  

At 13, she could get contacts, so there's no worry of people mocking glasses.  So I don't really see a downside to contacts.  
Well she gets great grades and has no issues with signs :P

My wife is against this and she is blind :lol:     She think she'll become too dependent lol

Thanks - probably start out with glasses and if she likes them look into contacts

Well she gets great grades and has no issues with signs :P

My wife is against this and she is blind :lol:     She think she'll become too dependent lol

Thanks - probably start out with glasses and if she likes them look into contacts
Maybe talking to the choir, but I don't really see how glasses are something one can become "too dependent" on.  I mean, I guess I'm dependent on my glasses, but I like being able to see stuff.

I will explain it like I tell my patients.  You can wear the glasses as much or as little as you want.  It will not make them better or worse or dependent.  The only side effect is you will see better.

Users who are viewing this thread