What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Time Classic Jazz Recordings (1 Viewer)

Klimtology

Footballguy
Kind of Blue 
Something Else
Midnight Blue
Best of Chet Baker Sings
Billie Holiday Love Songs
Billie Holiday and Lester Young
Big Joe Turner's Greatest Hits

:excited:

I have discovered a quality soundtrack: The Subterraneans. It's an MGM production of a Kerouc novel and the movie itself was a dud, but they got a top notch movie composer in Andre Previn to do it and knowing that the movie needed authentic jazz, he hired Gerry Muilligan and Carmen McRae to help out. The blend of jazz and 50s/60s movie score makes for a hell of an album. It is on Spotify

Las Vegas Tango - Gil Evans

Japanrse Folk Song - Monk

The Bass and I (album) - Ron Carter

The Sermon - Jimmy Smith 

Midnight Blue - Kenny Burell

My Funny Valentine (live album) - Miles

The above is some of the best jazz ever made. YWIA 

PBS's American Masters series is doing a 2-hour piece on Miles Davis tonite @ 9pm (check your local listings)
It was pretty interesting.  At first I didn't like the gimmick of using an actor to imitate Miles reading from his autobiography but I got used to it.  I'm glad the filmmakers were able to interview Frances Taylor Davis before she passed away.  She was a pistol.

It was pretty interesting.  At first I didn't like the gimmick of using an actor to imitate Miles reading from his autobiography but I got used to it.  I'm glad the filmmakers were able to interview Frances Taylor Davis before she passed away.  She was a pistol.
i guess so. either the smartest kind of stoopit or the stoopitest kind of smart - couldnt figure it out w the small sample size but the human equivalent of a popcorn walker it seemed. Cicely Tyson, Juliette Greco....yeah, but what's that?!?!

I'm checking these out now but went straight to Peterson first. Just always been a sucker for anything he played.

You guys are posting some great stuff. Keep 'em coming.
Oscar is cheeseburger-tasty & all, but i wish i could get you young folk to understand how unprecedented Art Tatum and other of the stride pianists were. Deconstructing forms before they were fully built. You get no Oscar, no Bird, no Diz without these guys. Like a cubist in 1630s Amsterdam, Tatum was.

Oscar is cheeseburger-tasty & all, but i wish i could get you young folk to understand how unprecedented Art Tatum and other of the stride pianists were. Deconstructing forms before they were fully built. You get no Oscar, no Bird, no Diz without these guys. Like a cubist in 1630s Amsterdam, Tatum was.
Yep....and with BLAZIN' fast hands.

i guess so. either the smartest kind of stoopit or the stoopitest kind of smart - couldnt figure it out w the small sample size but the human equivalent of a popcorn walker it seemed. Cicely Tyson, Juliette Greco....yeah, but what's that?!?!
Betty Davis' records are fierce

Maggot Brain said:
wikkidpissah said:
Yep....and with BLAZIN' fast hands.
This is an interesting Tatum re-recording by Zenph Studios.  They took a 1949 live recording of Tatum and digitally transcribed the notes so it could be played back through a Disklavier.  Here's the fun part, they then took the Disklavier to the same concert hall where the original was played.  It's weird to listen to the Tatum and Zenph recordings back to back.  The notes are all in the same place but it sounds very different

It's kind of like the player piano rolls of Gershwin and Rachmaninov.

Users who are viewing this thread