What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saying goodbye to my Dog.... (1 Viewer)

cubd8

Footballguy
My buddy Otis was about 11 years ago. He was a puggle - mostly pug, but 25% beagle. He howled like a beagle.

Nicest animal I have ever been around. Loved playing ball (although wasn't very athletic) and had a passion for food like none other. Was definitely a bit round, but was just a happy little guy and was probably the best decision I have made way back on April 1, 2008 when I added him to my house.

On Easter Sunday, he threw up on the car ride to my parents house. I really didn't think anything of it other than he must have just eaten fast. At my parents house, he threw up twice more and started shaking. I held him in my lap, and thought this was just a case a dog flu.

My parents offered to take him into the vet first thing on Monday morning which they did. He spent most of the night panting and shaking and couldn't even hold down water.

My dog's doctor thought there may have been something lodged into his stomach area that was causing him to throw up. They took x-rays, blood work and did some sort of stomach liner medicine that would help loosen up anything lodged in his stomach. Nothing was found so they had to do exploratory surgery.

The doctor called me during the procedure to let me know there were complications. His small intestine (over 1 foot of it) was deceased. It would have to be removed and the "good" part re-attached. This is why the doctor believed he couldn't hold down food. On top of it, his "good" intestine was raw-ish and dis-colored. They suspected cancer as well. 

I had to make a decision on the spot. The doctor said that with his age, the complications (i wouldn't be bring home Otis) of this where he may not be able to hold down food and would have uncontrollable diarrhea, my decision was made. He was already under from the procedure so I granted permission to the doctor to end his life. Very painful.

I came up to say goodbye, but it was after he passed. I kissed him on the head and thanked him for being such a great dog and family member.

I came home to his doggie beds, bowls, toys, etc. all over the house.

I've been around other animals who have gotten sick, but this was so sudden. When I left him at my parents house on Sunday night, I never suspected that this was serious. When they took him to the vet, I never suspected this was serious. I was wrong. This was the equivalent of him getting hit by a car. 

He was sitting on my lap on Saturday night chewing on a bone and wagging his tale. On Sunday afternoon, I was lying in bed watching TV and he wanted to come up to sit with me. I brought him up and he lied on my chest. I never suspected anything was wrong with him.

I put him down at about 6pm ct last night on Monday. Overnight, I kept waking up thinking this was a bad dream and the last 12 hours was not real.

My buddie Otis had a great life, I loved him and I'll miss him forever. I think I made the right decision, but it feels so wrong in the moment.

It helps to type this even though my eyes are watering as I do.

I love you Otis!

Sorry to hear. You made the right decision.

Sounds like you guys both gave each other great lives. That's as good as it gets. 

Sorry to hear. You made the right decision.

Sounds like you guys both gave each other great lives. That's as good as it gets. 
Agree - My parents had a Lab who was going through liver failure.  They let it drag on way longer than they should have for selfish reasons - seeing her at the end was gut wrenching.  She passed away in their living room.  I still have sad memories of her last moments in that room to this day, rather than remembering all the good times we had there.  

The end is inevitable, but still doesn't make it any better.  Dogs are an odd group, not a problem until all of a sudden.  I like to think Otis had such a great life, he wouldn't let on he was sick, he wanted to enjoy his humans and treats and cars till the bitter end.  Doesn't make you feel any better, but we've all been there and its hard to lose a family member that is always there, up for anything and never complains.  Dog people understand.  I lost my last guy after almost 15 years, November 2015.  I didn't want another, as I couldn't take that pain, but another one came into our lives January 2016.  The way I see it is that dogs know....they know when they've had a great life and know when another dog needs saving and a great home.  I figure my guy checked out so another could get a good home.  I hope you find your path.......

So sorry cub. I went through this with an 15 year old cat. Fine one day stroke the next. Tore me up to no end. Pets are so loving and there is no unconditional love like theirs...I'm sure you know there are so many of us that feel your pain. Condolences.  

Sorry for your loss. It's got wrenching reading things like this as I have been through it far too often. You made the right decision & it's normal to question it at the time. Rest in peace Otis.

RIP, Otis.  Sounds like he was an absolutely wonderful little guy.  Of course you did the right thing.  All my best to you.  

I like to think Otis had such a great life, he wouldn't let on he was sick, he wanted to enjoy his humans and treats and cars till the bitter end.
This is the beauty of dogs right there.   :wub:

I've been there twice in the past year - its such a terrible position to be in, but you made the right decision for Otis.

RIP Otis. 

Sounds like you were both thankful to have each other until the end.  Never easy but you did the right thing for your best friend when it mattered most. 

So sorry for your loss. It's amazing how dogs can seem perfectly normal when dealing with such major health issues. It makes it tough on us though when it comes out of left field.

Co-worker's dog suddenly was lethargic on Sunday after seeming fine and now after major surgery, biopsy, and other stuff along with thousands and thousands of dollars spent, it looks like their pup isn't going to make it. 

Sorry for your loss, Cub.  The last responsibility as a pet owner is always the hardest one to carry out.  It sucks that you had to make the choice, but you made the right one.  Be happy that you gave him 11 good years (and he gave them right back to you).

Sorry to hear... Got news today that my dog has the cancer. Still is acting fine but has a big lump on her leg in a really bad spot. 

I can empathize Cub. My 13-14yo German Shepherd named Gus is nearing his end. And he too has been vomiting intermittently over the past few months. I know that my family and I will be saying our good-byes very soon. It’s going to be a sob fest. 

RIP Otis. 

So sorry amigo.  So painful to go through.  Dogs are so great that although we know we'll have to deal with the inevitable it's still worth it for the joy they bring every day.  RIP Otis.

I sympathize. My beagle Molly is 10 and her kidneys are slowly failing. She has already outlived the Vet's 1 month diagnosis, but the end is quickly coming. We just spoil her and hope we don't selfishly wait too long when her time comes. 

The end is inevitable, but still doesn't make it any better.  Dogs are an odd group, not a problem until all of a sudden.  I like to think Otis had such a great life, he wouldn't let on he was sick, he wanted to enjoy his humans and treats and cars till the bitter end.  Doesn't make you feel any better, but we've all been there and its hard to lose a family member that is always there, up for anything and never complains.  Dog people understand.  I lost my last guy after almost 15 years, November 2015.  I didn't want another, as I couldn't take that pain, but another one came into our lives January 2016.  The way I see it is that dogs know....they know when they've had a great life and know when another dog needs saving and a great home.  I figure my guy checked out so another could get a good home.  I hope you find your path.......
This x 1000.

All but 1 dog I've had has been a rescue.  After each passing I swear no dog will ever match the greatness...yet another one comes into our lives that needs us as much as we need him/her and shows me I'm wrong.  I swear a couple have even been reincarnated dogs of years past. 

I like to think they love us so unconditiinally that they just don't want us to know they are in pain.  You made the right choice.  Hard to judge quality of life for a dog since we cant ask them but his life and yours were better from having each other.

Sorry man. I know the pain, but just know that you gave him a great life and he loved every second of it. 

This x 1000.

All but 1 dog I've had has been a rescue.  After each passing I swear no dog will ever match the greatness...yet another one comes into our lives that needs us as much as we need him/her and shows me I'm wrong.  I swear a couple have even been reincarnated dogs of years past. 

I like to think they love us so unconditiinally that they just don't want us to know they are in pain.  You made the right choice.  Hard to judge quality of life for a dog since we cant ask them but his life and yours were better from having each other.
It is amazing how much you don’t realize you need a dog until you have one.  Both of mine are in good shape, but the older one is pushing 11...so I know that day is approaching at a speed faster than I’d care to contemplate.  There may not be a future day in my life, that I dread more than that one.

Users who are viewing this thread