What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frank Clark to Chiefs (1 Viewer)

More good news for Damien Williams.  Takes away two early picks where they could have drafted a rb. Seahawks have to give Russell a legitimate number one WR early now. 

Edit: Missed that the 2nd is a 2020, but still

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't make sense at first why they'd trade away Ford just to trade for Clark. 

But they're transitioning to a 4-3 and needed a DE instead of an OLB.

Not a bad trade for them, I guess.

Seattle won this deal by a mile. Not sure what KC is thinking, especially with Clark wanting a new deal.

What has Clark done to make anyone assume he's better than Ford or Houston? Both of whom were let go for cheaper. 

Decent chance a better pass rusher would have been there at #29. 

Chiefs have had a very strange off season all around, and dealing a 1st for a guy who has never been better than a decent starter is the tip of the iceberg. This is a team that looks to have taken multiple steps backward, and that is assuming nothing happens with Tyreek Hill. 

Great move by Seattle, who is quietly rebuilding, they just made the playoffs last year, and threw people off that. Russell Wilson, Doug Baldwin, and Bobby Wagner are all that is left of the Super Bowl years.

Have Speaks, sign Okafor, acquire Ogbah, acquire Clark...

wth, went from having 0 KC ends to now having at least one in every league.   :unsure:  

Wow

@AdamSchefter: Chiefs and Frank Clark reached agreement on a 5 yrs, $105.5 million contract - greater  total than DeMarcus Lawrence, with $63.5 million guaranteed, per source.

And he has all that baggage. I was always waiting to see a story about him doing some bad things again. It felt inevitable. Glad the Hawks shipped him off.

Clark is better than I realized.  

Over the past three years he's averaging:

• 40 tackles
  • over 10 sacks
  • over 2 forced fumbles
  • over 1 fumble recovery
  • over 20 QB hits
The Chiefs lost Dee Ford and Justin Houston, they really needed a pass rusher.

Clark provides pass rush and he is a play maker they need on the EDGE after moving 3-4 DE Chris Jones  inside to DT.

At first I thought they gave up too much but the 29th pick is a low first and they improve their position in the 3rd round this year.  After checking the numbers and how few players in the league have had at least 9 sacks over the past three years to note his rare value.  I don't think KC could have done any better.

It is a good trade for them but also a good deal for Seattle IMHO.  

Wow

@AdamSchefter: Chiefs and Frank Clark reached agreement on a 5 yrs, $105.5 million contract - greater  total than DeMarcus Lawrence, with $63.5 million guaranteed, per source.
Just awful by KC. They could have signed Trey Flowers, a better player, for less, and not given up a 1 and a future 2. 

Seattle won this deal by a mile. Not sure what KC is thinking, especially with Clark wanting a new deal.

What has Clark done to make anyone assume he's better than Ford or Houston? Both of whom were let go for cheaper. 

Chiefs have had a very strange off season all around, and dealing a 1st for a guy who has never been better than a decent starter is the tip of the iceberg. This is a team that looks to have taken multiple steps backward, and that is assuming nothing happens with Tyreek Hill. 

Great move by Seattle, who is quietly rebuilding, they just made the playoffs last year, and threw people off that. Russell Wilson, Doug Baldwin, and Bobby Wagner are all that is left of the Super Bowl years.
I don't like this deal for KC, but I disagree with the bolded.

Ford had a really nice season in 2018, but that was the first of his career. 2017 was a 2-sack dud (injury), he had an excellent six-game run in 2016 where he collected 9 sacks but disappeared for the rest of the season (injury), and he had only 5.5 total sacks in 2014 & 2015 as he developed and fought through more injuries. He was very unreliable, and with the switch to a 4-3 defense, it was reasonable for KC to opt out of giving him $18MM/year.

Houston was a solid player but was also dealing with frequent injuries, never having double digit sacks after that monstrous 22-sack season in '14. He was aging and wasn't worth the 20-some million dollars he was owed in 2019, so I think it was reasonable to part ways with him as well.

Clark, on the other hand, has been extremely consistent and reliable thus far, playing in 62 of 64 games and averaging over 10 sacks/year over the last three seasons. He's also a much better fit for a 4-3 defense than Ford. 

As far as pick 29 is concerned: KC has made it clear that their best chance for a ring is while Mahomes is on his rookie deal. With this in mind, I think it's fair to opt for a proven quantity over an unproven rookie. Since 2010, edge rushers taken in the first round have averaged about 4.5 sacks in their first year. To be competitive in the upcoming year, they could not have entered the season with an edge rushing committee of Emmanuel Ogbah, Breeland Speaks, Alex Okafor, and some rookie. Clark is a proven quantity who should contribute 10+ sacks immediately and shore up what was looking like a pretty abysmal front four.

Clark is better than I realized.  

Over the past three years he's averaging:

• 40 tackles
  • over 10 sacks
  • over 2 forced fumbles
  • over 1 fumble recovery
  • over 20 QB hits
The Chiefs lost Dee Ford and Justin Houston, they really needed a pass rusher.

Clark provides pass rush and he is a play maker they need on the EDGE after moving 3-4 DE Chris Jones  inside to DT.

At first I thought they gave up too much but the 29th pick is a low first and they improve their position in the 3rd round this year.  After checking the numbers and how few players in the league have had at least 9 sacks over the past three years to note his rare value.  I don't think KC could have done any better.

It is a good trade for them but also a good deal for Seattle IMHO.  
Clark doesn't suck, its just that they are giving a monster deal, and lots of draft capital to fix a problem, that they didn't need to create, and its very possible, I'd argue likely, that they are going to fail. I also wonder how much of Clark's production is Pete Carroll related. Guys like Bruce Irvin and Cliff Avril put up their best numbers for him. 

They got a 2nd for Ford, then traded a 1st and possibly that 2nd for Clark. Is Clark better than Ford, I'd answer no, but he's been more consistent, but even then, he's not an additional 1st rounder better.

Clark is now the 3rd highest paid defensive player in the NFL, behind only Mack and Donald, 2 HOF'ers in their primes. By comparison, Clark is just a guy, combine that with off field issues, which seem to really be attracting themselves to KC lately, and this feels to me like a move we look back in a couple years and wonder what KC was thinking. 

Clark doesn't suck, its just that they are giving a monster deal, and lots of draft capital to fix a problem, that they didn't need to create, and its very possible, I'd argue likely, that they are going to fail. I also wonder how much of Clark's production is Pete Carroll related. Guys like Bruce Irvin and Cliff Avril put up their best numbers for him. 

They got a 2nd for Ford, then traded a 1st and possibly that 2nd for Clark. Is Clark better than Ford, I'd answer no, but he's been more consistent, but even then, he's not an additional 1st rounder better.

Clark is now the 3rd highest paid defensive player in the NFL, behind only Mack and Donald, 2 HOF'ers in their primes. By comparison, Clark is just a guy, combine that with off field issues, which seem to really be attracting themselves to KC lately, and this feels to me like a move we look back in a couple years and wonder what KC was thinking. 
Clark is not just a guy.  He is getting paid.  He has serious off field issues in his past.  

KC is switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 so Dee Ford and Justin Houston didn't fit.  They needed a starting 4-3 DE and got one of the best in the league.

The draft compensation is low for the value..  KC would not get a sure thing like Clark's production in the draft.

Clark is only 25 years old.  Dee Ford is 28 and Justin Houston is 30.   He is in his prime at the  perfect age to build around and not a Dee Ford coming off a career season after an inconsistent 2 sack season at a position that does not fit the scheme they are transitioning to.

You may not like it but it really does make sense for KC who have two more years under Mahomes contract to make a big move like this.

I like the deal for both teams.

If you head over to the draft pick value charts, 2019’s 1.29 + the 2020 2nd is roughly equivalent to 1.21 in 2019. That’s not terrible. Maybe someone like Clelin Ferrell who’s taken in that range develops into a Clark-level DE, but that’s a huge hypothetical. The more I think this over, the less I dislike it for KC.

Clark is not just a guy.  He is getting paid.  He has serious off field issues in his past.  

KC is switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 so Dee Ford and Justin Houston didn't fit.  They needed a starting 4-3 DE and got one of the best in the league.

The draft compensation is low for the value..  KC would not get a sure thing like Clark's production in the draft.

Clark is only 25 years old.  Dee Ford is 28 and Justin Houston is 30.   He is in his prime at the  perfect age to build around and not a Dee Ford coming off a career season after an inconsistent 2 sack season at a position that does not fit the scheme they are transitioning to.

You may not like it but it really does make sense for KC who have two more years under Mahomes contract to make a big move like this.

I like the deal for both teams.
Dee Ford had 2 sacks in 2017 because he only played 6 games.  Frank Clark is a good, but as you mentioned has off-field issues.  Frank Clark is not worth a 1 and a 2 if Dee Ford is only worth a 2.  Factor in that they gave him an enormous contract and this deal does not look good for KC.  Massive overpay on the contract and the draft compensation it took to get him.

A for Seattle.

Anywhere from a B+ to a C- for KC.  I think I'd give it a B- for KC at this point, but that's still okay.  Given the fact they want to blow up the Defense and start fresh, I don't think it's a terrible gamble.

Dee Ford had 2 sacks in 2017 because he only played 6 games. 
That’s part of the problem, though. He missed 11 games in 2014, missed 5 games in 2015, tried to play through an injury in 2016 and was a non-factor (0 sacks through the last eight games), and missed 10 games in 2017. His healthy season in ‘18 was a pretty big anomaly.

More good news for Damien Williams.  Takes away two early picks where they could have drafted a rb. Seahawks have to give Russell a legitimate number one WR early now

Yep and yep. Although I assumed Seattle was taking a top WR early no matter what. And to be honest if I were them I'd take two. Baldwin is on his last leg and Lockett is a role player, a good one, but they need a true #1 in the worst way.

Yep and yep. Although I assumed Seattle was taking a top WR early no matter what. And to be honest if I were them I'd take two. Baldwin is on his last leg and Lockett is a role player, a good one, but they need a true #1 in the worst way.
I look at it as a way for them to trade back with two first round picks now. Schneider can pick up a few more seconds, thirds, fourths.....

What the Jets were said to be offering.

https://twitter.com/ParkerLewisJR/status/1120760024664424454

Parker Lewis‏ @ParkerLewisJR

Sounds like the Jets would've been willing to do a Frank Clark trade that included a first round pick swap (#3 for #21). The Chiefs deal probably makes more sense over the long haul for the Seahawks, but sitting at #3 on draft day would have been amazing.

11:43 AM - 23 Apr 2019

------------------------------------

Why would Seattle not pounce on that deal?  

They could have taken a blue-chip player at #3 or traded-down a couple of times to parlay the #3 pick into extra 2nd round picks in this draft and 'probably' at least one extra future 1st round pick and still get a 1st round pick higher than #29 or even higher than their 1st round pick at #21.  

I assume the outlook on ucl tears is fine now since Clark tore both of them last year. Did he have offseason surgery on them?

Didn't make sense at first why they'd trade away Ford just to trade for Clark. 

But they're transitioning to a 4-3 and needed a DE instead of an OLB.

Not a bad trade for them, I guess.
Isn't Ford playing DE for SF ?

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthcharts.aspx

DEFENSE - SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

SFLDE94Thomas, Solomon 17/195Street, Kentavius 18/471Lewis-Moore, Kapron SF19  

SFLDT91Armstead, Arik 15/193Jones, DJ 17/661THORNTON, CEDRIC SF18  

SFRDT99Buckner, DeForest 16/196Day, Sheldon W/Jax   

SFRDE00Ford, Dee T/KC9

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't Ford playing DE for SF ?

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthcharts.aspx

DEFENSE - SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

SFLDE94Thomas, Solomon 17/195Street, Kentavius 18/471Lewis-Moore, Kapron SF19  

SFLDT91Armstead, Arik 15/193Jones, DJ 17/661THORNTON, CEDRIC SF18  

SFRDT99Buckner, DeForest 16/196Day, Sheldon W/Jax   

SFRDE00Ford, Dee T/KC9
Yes, and Houston will be playing 4-3 DE for Indianapolis, so it's clear that other GMs see them as potential fits in a 4-3. We'll see. Another wrinkle is that Spagnuolo himself favors big powerful edge rushers, which Ford is not. Houston is, but his production was not matching is pay grade. KC is essentially giving Houston's $20MM to Clark now, which should be a more productive use of that money.

Dee Ford had 2 sacks in 2017 because he only played 6 games.  Frank Clark is a good, but as you mentioned has off-field issues.  Frank Clark is not worth a 1 and a 2 if Dee Ford is only worth a 2.  Factor in that they gave him an enormous contract and this deal does not look good for KC.  Massive overpay on the contract and the draft compensation it took to get him.
Ford has missed a lot of games (Clark has missed 2 games in 4 years), Ford is older, isn't a fit for the new scheme, Clark has been consistently better.  Houston is on the wrong side of 30, Clark is only 25 years old.

----------------------------------------------

Brandon Kiley‏ @BKSportsTalk

Alright, listen, I’m not saying Frank Clark is Khalil Mack. He’s not. But I found these numbers over the last 3 seasons to be interesting.

• Frank Clark - 47 games, 32 sacks, 31 TFL, 66 QB Hits
  • Khalil Mack - 46 games, 34 sacks, 39 TFL, 66 QB Hits
12:27 PM - 23 Apr 2019

Matt Verderame‏Verified account @MattVerderame 3h3 hours ago

Just spoke to one general manager who had this to say about the #Chiefs move... "Comparing Dee Ford to Frank Clark is like comparing Joe Flacco to Patrick Mahomes."

Louis Riddick‏Verified account @LRiddickESPN 5h5 hours ago

#Chiefs need pass rushers in their switch to a 4-3 that can play the run too! Frank Clark will do that for them better than anyone in this draft can. He is one of the best young DE’s in the #nfl.

Bracie Smathers said:
Louis Riddick‏Verified account @LRiddickESPN 5h5 hours ago

#Chiefs need pass rushers in their switch to a 4-3 that can play the run too! Frank Clark will do that for them better than anyone in this draft can. He is one of the best young DE’s in the #nfl.
He better be because they gave up picks and gave him a contract like he is Khalil Mack.  I'm not saying he isn't good, but I don't think he is great and just think the picks combined with the draft compensation was too much for him.  

ex-ghost said:
I look at it as a way for them to trade back with two first round picks now. Schneider can pick up a few more seconds, thirds, fourths.....
Yeah absolutely. And when I said *early*, I meant relative to the WR ranks, not necessarily that they would be 1st rounders.

barackdhouse said:
Literally on his last leg. I would be surprised to see Baldwin ready week 1.

Bracie Smathers said:
What the Jets were said to be offering.

https://twitter.com/ParkerLewisJR/status/1120760024664424454

Parker Lewis‏ @ParkerLewisJR

Sounds like the Jets would've been willing to do a Frank Clark trade that included a first round pick swap (#3 for #21). The Chiefs deal probably makes more sense over the long haul for the Seahawks, but sitting at #3 on draft day would have been amazing.

11:43 AM - 23 Apr 2019

Why would Seattle not pounce on that deal?  

They could have taken a blue-chip player at #3 or traded-down a couple of times to parlay the #3 pick into extra 2nd round picks in this draft and 'probably' at least one extra future 1st round pick and still get a 1st round pick higher than #29 or even higher than their 1st round pick at #21.  
If that's true Seattle made a huge mistake... Why would they not take the value of the number 3 pick?  More than likely there is a QB needy team that will reach for that pick to get ahead of the Raiders and Giants. If not, you have elite talent like Bosa or Williams. 

The Jets would be idiots to offer that given who is going to be there at 3, but the Jets are the biggest idiots in he NFL so...

There are only 15 players in the NFL making more than Frank Clark, 13 of which are QB's. I just can't get over what terrible resource management this move was. 
We see this all the time, though. Good young player lands a massive, record-breaking contract which looks preposterous until the next guy gets paid, then the guy after that makes even more, and as the process continues and the salary cap continues to increase, that first big contract looks cheaper and cheaper. 

JoeJoe88 said:
More good news for Damien Williams.  Takes away two early picks where they could have drafted a rb. Seahawks have to give Russell a legitimate number one WR early now. 

This means nothing to Williams’ status.  KC wasn’t likely to burn the 1st rounder on a RB prior to the trade and they still have 2 2nd rounders and a 3rd rounder this year.

Williams owners sure spend a lot of time whistling through the graveyard.

barackdhouse said:

The current administration in Seattle nearly won back to back titles starting undrafted free agents on the outside at WR. I wouldn't mind them taking a WR, but I have my doubts that Carrol and Schneider value the WR position as much as you think they should. 

The current administration in Seattle nearly won back to back titles starting undrafted free agents on the outside at WR. I wouldn't mind them taking a WR, but I have my doubts that Carrol and Schneider value the WR position as much as you think they should. 
Well that may very well be. I guess I was saying what I think they should do, not necessarily what they will do. I like this WR class and see no reason why they couldn't get two of the top, say 6 or 7 in this class. I'd be surprised if they did. Certainly one, though. 

Because of a couple plays?  I bet all guys wish they got paid off a highlight reel.
Three consecutive years of top production.

Not one fluke play but bull rush that lifts up NFL OTs and drives them back into the QB.  I've only seen a bull rush like this from two other DEs, Dwight Freeny who had a low center and the Minister where if he got hands on someone simply overpowered OTs, Clark has a bull rush that looks like a combination of the two.  Its not a highlight reel, it shows something I've never seen.

People think KC lost their mind and made this deal without knowing the price they pad and the value they got in return.  

Three consecutive years of top production.
That's a very low bar for top production, if Clark's last 3 years qualify. 

He has 1 season in the top-10 in sacks, a 7th place finish in 2018. 

I'll maintain that Ford and Houston are both better players than Clark, but I'll agree Clark is younger and more durable. The fitting the 4-3 vs 3-4 thing is BS to me. The Colts and 49ers both think Houston and Ford respectively can play DE. It could be a case of Spagnoulo wanting his guy, but that would be a red flag, as he was a crummy hire, and likely downgrade from Sutton to begin with. Also, more than 50% of the game is spent in nickel, more if the offense is putting up 30+ weekly, making 4-3/3-4 almost irrelevant.

There also isn't evidence that Clark is much better against the run than Ford or Houston. PFF graded all 3 as pretty poor run defenders, separated by less than 4 overall points. Clark was at the top, but he was 14+ points behind as a pass rusher, and that was in Clark's(and Ford's to be fair) best season. 

I think a big issue with trading the picks, is that pass rush was never an issue for the Chiefs. They had 3 guys with 9 or more sacks last year, the issue was that they couldn't cover anyone, which smart, accurate QB's like Brady and Rivers picked apart, before any pass rusher could have a chance to get there, and now they have fewer assets to fix that. They aren't going to have a better pass rush this year, and they don't have as much to fix the coverage with. No matter what someone thinks of Clark, they didn't fix their biggest 2018 problem, and its almost a certainty that the 2019 defense, and team in general is going to be worse. 

I saw the article about the Jets offering the #3 pick, for Clark and the #21. Sheesh! Sometimes these teams need to be saved from themselves. The best move the Jets made this offseason, was the Seahawks rejecting that trade.

29 is darn near a 2nd...

29 is darn near a 2nd...
True, but it also comes with a 5th year option which a 2nd does not.  Even if it was a second I still wouldn't trade Dee Ford and a second for Frank Clark AND give him that contract.  I hate the whole 4-3 3-4 argument too.  A good coach should be able to figure out how to use talented players.

Chiefs got out from under Houston's huge contract which he wasn't living up too....Ford had one good year and would be looking for top dollar....they got a second for him.....then basically gave up a crap shoot #29 pick for one of the best/most consistent pass rushers and edge players in the league while basically giving him Houston's money....you know what you are getting with Clark....Chiefs are in win now mode....Bradley Chubb was 5th pick last year and had 12 sacks....Clark is going to give that to you at the price of #29 and a second down the road....yeah the contract looks a little steep right now, but with the salary cap increasing and other guys signing down the road, it won't look that bad.....Clark is a good fit for the defense....I'm ok with this move....its not great, but it's not as terrible as some are trying to make it out to be because they don't "like" the Chiefs and just want to slam on them....if you step back and look, it's a pretty solid move and we will see how it plays out....I like the pretty much guaranteed production they will get....

Chiefs are in win now mode
This is what I think some people are missing. Just because SEA got an A+ in the trade doesn't mean KC couldn't get an A-.

People don't really think of KC as being in a window because Mahomes is young but he'll be the highest paid player in the history or the NFL in a couple of years. They have a small window before that contract will kick in and throw their entire salary cap into shambles. Kelce is a monster but he takes a lot of hits as well as gives them. They don't have to wait for a '19 rookie to develop into a pass rusher(how long did it take for the penny to drop for Ford?). He steps on the field as an elite pass rusher. With PIT imploding and NE riding Brady into his 40's the AFC is pretty wide open right now.

I think it was a good trade for both teams. Two teams that needed very different things from the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread