What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis versus Robin (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
We built a covered porch last year.  It has a ceiling fan, and these beams inside it.  This is our first Spring with said porch.  One or more birds—I’m told they are Robins—have been trying to build a nest in there.  First on the ceiling fan.  Then on one of the white beams.  It leaves mud and debris all over the inside of the porch and is super annoying to have to clean up each day.

So I did whatever any other sane person would do under the circumstances — I climbed up there and lined Coors Light cans along the top of the beam the Robin was building on.

The Robin then moved to the next beam.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kZ2SttK

Did some reading this morning. Turns out Robins build nests inside porches. 

Step 2: purchase fake plastic hawk from Amazon. 

Will keep you posted. 

T&P welcomed. 

I have the same issue every spring with them trying to build a nest on the spotlight on my back deck.  The light attaches to the house. All I do is print out a picture of an owl on a piece of paper and tape it to the house. Crazy as it seems, it's worked for years and years. 

We built a covered porch last year.  It has a ceiling fan, and these beams inside it.  This is our first Spring with said porch.  One or more birds—I’m told they are Robins—have been trying to build a nest in there.  First on the ceiling fan.  Then on one of the white beams.  It leaves mud and debris all over the inside of the porch and is super annoying to have to clean up each day.

So I did whatever any other sane person would do under the circumstances — I climbed up there and lined Coors Light cans along the top of the beam the Robin was building on.

Will keep you posted. 

T&P welcomed. 
nope.  I’d never admit to having Coors Light in my house

All I do is print out a picture of an owl on a piece of paper and tape it to the house. Crazy as it seems, it's worked for years and years. 
Yep. Even images of owl eyes (or similar) will do it. Link to "owl eyes" balloons for the exact purpose Otis is looking for.

Of course, people make these by hand for cheap, too, with regular balloons and markers. Doesn't have to be fancy.

This is why you own guns.

The coors light can is perfect for practicing the shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same issue every spring with them trying to build a nest on the spotlight on my back deck.  The light attaches to the house. All I do is print out a picture of an owl on a piece of paper and tape it to the house. Crazy as it seems, it's worked for years and years. 
Oh COME ON 

Oh man this gives me an idea. 

nope.  I’d never admit to having Coors Light in my house
Oh wow so surprised to see this response here. 

(I specifically didn’t call it beer in my post because I figured the obvious beer nerd response would be “what, what beer? I DONT SEE A BEER THERE.”)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Laughing
Reactions: Zow
Might want to Google federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Robins are covered even though they don’t migrate. If you’re just trying to scare them away, NBD. But if there are eggs in the nest...

Spring means its time for birds to return to North America to build nests and raise their young, and even though they sometimes can make a mess around houses and buildings it is illegal to harm them. 

Native birds such as warblers, swallows and hummingbirds are protected by the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Even birds that don’t generally migrate, such as robins and wrens and woodpeckers are protected under the Act. The Act prohibits destruction of nests with eggs or young, or possession of migratory bird parts. Violations can carry maximum penalties of $15,000 and/or six months in jail. It is not a violation, however, to prevent the birds from constructing their nests. Non-native birds such as starlings and house sparrows are not protected under the Act.

"A bird must be just beginning to build its’s nest - just a few sticks or pieces of mud," said Anne Badgley, regional director of the Service’s Pacific Region. "However, sometimes people wash down a nest and don’t pay attention to the site for a week or so, only to find the nest has been reconstructed and has eggs in it. Once the nest has eggs, it is protected and its destruction or removal is illegal."

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

Will keep you posted. 

T&P welcomed. 
No sane person drinks coors light. 

If you've got some good speakers out there, play on full blast ACDC's Thunderstruck on repeat 24/7. 

The robin will eventually get the hint and leave. 

Users who are viewing this thread