What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Salad (1 Viewer)

Favorite dressing/salad

• Caesar

Votes: 22 17.2%
  • Ranch

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • Thousand island

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Honey mustard

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Italian

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • French

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Oil and vinegar

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Balsamic vinaigrette

Votes: 23 18.0%
  • Other

Votes: 30 23.4%

• Total voters
used to be 2-3 times per week. now it's 2-3 times per month.

only ever get salad as a side at an Italian restaurant or supper club. only time it feels necessary.

used to be 2-3 times per week. now it's 2-3 times per month.

only ever get salad as a side at an Italian restaurant or supper club. only time it feels necessary.
Never grew up eating salad regularly at home. I'll eat it if I'm out at a restaurant and it comes as a side. I'll rarely get a craving to have one as a meal if I see a good salad bar or something.

But, it seems a lot of families we know will make one as a component of dinner regularly. I wonder how common that really is.

Oh, and loads of dressing or I won't bother.  Nothing worse than a dry salad, imo.

Tough pole

as a meal, occasionally.  I did have a Greek salad with gyro meat for lunch today 

as a side, probably once a week

im in the middle on amount of dressing, I don’t like it overloaded but not minimal either

favorite...really depends on the salad.  I guess if I’m just having a basic garden salad I’d go ranch 

What are your salad eating habits?
We have a full salad bar in our in-house food court at work.  At least 3-4 times a week I’ll get a salad for lunch.  Get Caesar  dressing but prefer ranch except the one here is crap.  I’ll often get a side salad when out to eat.

Eat salad as a meal for lunch just about every day.

Eat salad for supper once per week.  We mix it up pretty well - tonight is chef salad, next week may be southwest salad or a wedge salad, or a taco salad, etc...

For years I used to use no dressing on salads. I rarely if ever use condiments.  But nowadays I do put a touch of light ranch dressing on my salads.  Very little though, I believe a medium size container of dressing will last me ~8 weeks (so 35ish servings)

Are we counting things like taco salad with meat, sour cream, and cheese that comes in a fried tortilla shell?

I usually do a salad with grilled chicken for lunch on Tuesdays at the cafeteria where I work.  A nominal amount of ranch dressing, dry salad is rabbit food but I don’t want to just drink a ranch tub either 

I think so.  I only ever have that or italian.  
My bad. Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever had blue cheese dressing. Never liked blue cheese to begin with so I've never had any interest. I've had all the others. My bias screwed up the pole.

I also looked up a quick link for rankings and took the top 7. It looks like blue cheese is #10 on the list.

so I'm on travel for work.  There are 6-8 of us in this big conference room.   We were the "command center" for lack of a better term.  The woman that was in charge of the place we were working was awesome.  A little older but a "party girl type".  The same group has been in this room for a couple days.  This day another woman joined us from some other group that none of us really knew.   The "party girl boss" orders dinner from a local italian place where she knows the owner.   Older gentleman, comes in and is setting up this buffet spread, giant salad bowl and is finishing up.  Boss lady starts chit chatting, everything good, etc, is he almost done?

old italian guy: " all set up, I just need to toss your salad and I'm outta here"

The crew that has been in this room for 3 days now all pop our eyes up above our laptops, just glancing at each other.   One guy turns beat red, another face down into the laptop, one girl walks out, one by one we walk out into the hall just to lose our ####, not infront of this "stranger" that just joined us.   

I know it's a had to be there story but ### #### was it funny

Last edited by a moderator:
I eat some sort of salad 5-6 days a week.  Mix any veggies in it and I am good.

Summer my go to is Cucumber, tomato, red pepper, green pepper, red onion, a little feta cheese.   Season it and Toss it with oil and vinegar.

Big fan of slaw too.

I have upped my salad game over the last several years.

It is still a rare day when I make it the whole meal, but I eat a side salad probably about 3-5 times a week for dinner.

ETA:  it is always either Italian some kind of vinaigrette or oil & vinegar

What's a supper club?
https://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/dining/chi-defining-wisconsins-supper-club-culture-20150119-story.html?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3d&i10c.dv=2

i think this article sums it up "i know it when i see it".

basically a place you go on Saturday night for prime rib & whiskey old fashioned's. almost always preceded by an hour wait in the ante-room/bar where you shoot the breeze with people you know who also happen to be there. 

you sit at a table with white linen. there's probably a rustic or outdoorsy decor. there's a plate of celery/cauliflower/carrot/olive at your table when you sit down. you have no choice in this matter. you get a cup of soup and a salad. then your prime rib comes out an hour later with a baked potato. always a baked potato. you can ask for something else but they might kick you out. you can get something other than prime rib.. fish.. a steak. nothing fancy. just a big ####### pile of whatever meat you choose. there's are no 6oz. filets here. if you order prime rib, it's 32oz. if you get a steak, it's 40oz. if you want fish.. it's enough to feed 3 people.

the whole meal costs $22.95 and you will be in a full on drunken meat sweat before you're done.

it's as quintessentially a Wisconsin experience as eating cheese, drinking milk and being a fan of the Packers.

Rarely - basically, the fridge has to be a sorry state of affairs AND I need to have the energy to actually make one.  And if I have that then why not just make something else.  

1-2x per week, some weeks less/some more.  If my wife's dinner comes with veggies I don't want any part of (green beans and corn probably being the most frequent offenders) then I'll mix one up.  Almost always make one on leftovers night though.

Bad question, too much single handidly ruins a salad and not enough often yields little flavor.  Optimum amount depends on the type of salad.

Didn't answer because it's probably an even split between italian and blue cheese. 

3-4 x a week for me. Would be more if I didn't work remotely a couple days a week, which means I eat more sandwiches/leftovers than typical NYC lunch place salads.

I made the shift to only red wine vinegar years ago. Way healthier than pretty much any other option and love having that bite among all the veggies.

What is the minimum requirement for something to be a salad?

like if you just ate a bowl of torn up iceberg with no dressing, would that count?

Eat salad as a meal for lunch just about every day.

Eat salad for supper once per week.  We mix it up pretty well - tonight is chef salad, next week may be southwest salad or a wedge salad, or a taco salad, etc...
pretty much the same for me. usually try to have a protein in it, mostly chicken. never fish or beef. a lot of places near work have grains in the salad too- quinoa, sometimes tortilla chips. I like the dressing light- whatever the lunch spot puts on it. on my own, I"ll make a balsamic vinaigrette. no dressing would be disgusting to me though. 

3-4x/week but only 1x/week as the actual meal.

Not a lot of dressing unless it is freshly-made bleu cheese.

The best bleu cheese dressing is the best dressing there is, but it's pretty rare so I went oil and vinegar.  Raspberry vinegrette is my actual runner-up but that was the closest choice.

Meal by itself vote: 3-4/week - but I am closer to averaging 5 - not daily - but close.

With a meal vote": Rarely - as a diabetic, when I make a salad, I use up all of my available carbs per meal - thus, it is rarely a side item.

Dressing amount vote: Minimal - but I am usually somewhere between the 2 (Moderate - as described by others above)

Favorite dressing vote: Honey Mustard - but Balsamic vinaigrette is my most often used - health reasons.

I grew up eating tons of salads - as sides & meals - now, mostly only as meals. In my opinion, there is nothing better on a hot day than a cool salad with fresh veggies, crisp and juicy. Plus, I prefer Romaine lettuce and add a healthy amount of spinach & broccoli.

For meat, skinless grilled chicken breast is my most common, but I will use lean ham & fish as well.

I used to like pita bread with it, but with limed carb intake allowed, I dumped it along with croutons. I really miss the croutons, but I have read about a pork rind crouton option (fat, rather than carb) that I may try, as my fat intake has more room for a little variation here.

Salads: 👍👍

Romaine lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers, and other select green goodies with the natural juice from a lemon wedge is my go to side salad.

Don't like tomatoes.

If the salad is a meal unto itself, prefer Chicken Caesar Salad with shredded parmigiano reggiano. Yeeha! 

I would eat more salad if I remembered to do it. The prep for it is annoying. A lot of washing, peeling, cutting, stirring just to eat the thing in like 2-3 mins and still feel hungry afterwards. 

was going to ask the same...sounds like something from a Seinfeld episode
Modern day episode: The gang shows up to the supper club, Elaine isn't allowed in because of their no women policy, while Jerry & George are very uncomfortable with the lawn jockey in front of the club and eventually confront the owner about it.   Meanwhile Kramer and Newman are smoking cigars and getting hot stock tips from a group of start-up owners at the bar. Despite all of them eventually being banned from the club they all become obsessed with the amazing house made Green Goddess dressing and end up hiring Uncle Leo and Frank to mule out a couple dozen bottles from the club.

Users who are viewing this thread