What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spice as You Age... (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Can you handle it anymore?

mid 30s here, and literally have pains and explosive dumps the morning after a spicy dish. was a time when i could tackle any pepper you threw at me, with pleasure.

now... hit a thai spot and a hot dish will have me farting and urinating out the wrong hole the next day. a vindaloo might kill me.

what is this?

I don’t think I handle it any differently, but I’m more reluctant to go super spicy on a weeknight and risk having to take multiple lava dumps at work, especially when they only have that industrial single ply

also generally avoid if I’d be at risk of having to poop in a crowded place (sports bar, concert, etc) within the next 24 hours 

I don’t think I handle it any differently, but I’m more reluctant to go super spicy on a weeknight and risk having to take multiple lava dumps at work, especially when they only have that industrial single ply

also generally avoid if I’d be at risk of having to poop in a crowded place (sports bar, concert, etc) within the next 24 hours 
I normally fold toilet paper, but one day at work when I had the stomach flu I wadded out of desperation. I've been wadding single ply and folding the good stuff ever since.

Can you handle it anymore?

mid 30s here, and literally have pains and explosive dumps the morning after a spicy dish. was a time when i could tackle any pepper you threw at me, with pleasure.

now... hit a thai spot and a hot dish will have me farting and urinating out the wrong hole the next day. a vindaloo might kill me.

what is this?
Mid 30s and no issue. I can actually handle it better than I used to in terms of handling the act of eating it. I’ve never had issues with the ummmm processing of it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Still enjoy spicy food and my system seems to handle it just fine.  Salad, on the other hand, frequently leads me right down the hershey highway.  

50, and handle it great. 

Actually, since I have had to cut so many other flavor-helpers for med reasons, I have been greatly increasing my spice-y intake.

The only issues I had, were when I was still on metformin and tried some Indian dishes.

That did not go over very well.

But, since I have changed meds, all is good.

Another big factor was when I quit drinking alcohol. The 2 combined really did not work well for my gastrics.

Taste buds die as you age. Iiirc, ye olden Kings used kids as poison tester/tasters because kids have the most alive/senisitive palattes. Also why they're so picky. Also why I now drown my food in spice just I can taste something/anything.
Yep. I'm in the same boat, I think. Taste buds also move back in your throat as you age so that older people are more amenable to bitter foods than children. 

On a personal note, are you swamped at work or something? Haven't seen on the boards much, and I vaguely remember you saying you were too busy to draft aughts songs, which you'd be great at. Hope things are good, Flop.  

Hell yeah.  If anything my ability to eat incredibly spicy food has only gotten better with age. 

And I love the resulting natural cleanse. 

This is where I’m at. 48 years old and love spicy food but stick to the real spicy stuff on the weekends.  Things took a turn for the worse about 10 years.

My stomach is stronger than my mouth.  If my mouth can survive a level of spice, my stomach is fine with it.  My mouth can hang with "hot" but not super or extra.

Other than I can't run as far at a fast pace as I once could, this age thing is nothing. I do like being called sir and knowing all this stuff  ya just know with time is pretty cool.

Done with the stupid don't know any better mistakes.

I make a spice blend with equal parts turmeric, ginger, cayenne, cinnamon & oyster mushroom powder (it's primarily an anti-inflammatory thing). It's got tons of spice and plenty of heat. I mix a heaping tablespoon of it (maybe two) in about 12-16oz of homemade bone broth most every afternoon. 

I use generous amounts of hot sauce (typically Lucky Dog of course) on most meals.

Pretty sure I'm older than you @Soulfly3 and I don't have any issues between those choices and my bowels. 

Maybe it's an issue with keeping your tolerances up?

I make a spice blend with equal parts turmeric, ginger, cayenne, cinnamon & oyster mushroom powder (it's primarily an anti-inflammatory thing). It's got tons of spice and plenty of heat. I mix a heaping tablespoon of it (maybe two) in about 12-16oz of homemade bone broth most every afternoon. 

I use generous amounts of hot sauce (typically Lucky Dog of course) on most meals.

Pretty sure I'm older than you @Soulfly3 and I don't have any issues between those choices and my bowels. 

Maybe it's an issue with keeping your tolerances up?
:thumbup:

49 years old, my system can't handle spicy like it used to so I don't eat it as often as I used to or I regret it in the bathroom. Red meat too. If it's rare to med rare it tears my stomach up, and I've always eaten it that way with no probs til about my mid 30s. I now order or cook it medium about half the time just to avoid the hurty gut.

49 years old, my system can't handle spicy like it used to so I don't eat it as often as I used to or I regret it in the bathroom. Red meat too. If it's rare to med rare it tears my stomach up, and I've always eaten it that way with no probs til about my mid 30s. I now order or cook it medium about half the time just to avoid the hurty gut.
This has happened to me since my twenties, though I still eat it rare. I cannot do steak very much anymore because of this.

Late 30's, spicy food is fine with me but I can't handle extremely spicy food like I could in my 20's-early 30's. Back then I always ordered the spiciest food on the menu and had no issues putting it down. No issues back then with foods in the 300-500k shu range.  In my mid 30's it began to not settle in my stomach well or coming out the other end. Today I still go for spicy but I avoid the extremely spicy. Stuff in the 50-150k shu range like medium+ Thai food, mango habanero wings on the rare visit to bdubs. Most hot sauces and peppers are still fine with me in moderation.

For me, it's less about spice than it is about spice and ####ty, fried foods like wings. Spicy Thai/Indian...no problem.  Spicy fried wings.....intestinal distress the next day.

Was there in my prime while studying overseas. 

Hilarious the difference between Thai restaurant hot and thailand hot. 
I liked spicy food before going there, but my stamina for heat increased substantially over that month. I cried repeatedly while eating papaya salad. So freaking good!👺 

I find fried food harder on my system than spicy food.  But maybe it depends on the spice.  I eat a decent amount of Hatch green chile -- helps clears some things out, but only in a good way, and has never given me heartburn or other issues.

rockaction said:
Awesome emoji pictorial. Somebody needs to comment instead of just reacting. This is brilliance at a high level. 
Thanks. We've all been there.

I know I'm very careful about what I eat before a long flight. Maybe it's because I'm getting older but I didn't take as many long flights when I was younger so it's hard to compare.

Never been able to handle spicy food. Heartburn, turn blood red, insta####s. Ugh.

Capt. Morgan even gives me the business. Don't know why.

:unsure:

ETA: 42 

I do not find spicy food appealing.

Thanks. We've all been there.

I know I'm very careful about what I eat before a long flight. Maybe it's because I'm getting older but I didn't take as many long flights when I was younger so it's hard to compare.
I don’t have problems with spicy food, but can relate to in-flight intestinal distress.

I’m normally very careful when I travel, drinking bottled water, avoiding all the potentially tainted stuff - fresh fruit/veggies, ice and most of all, street food. Several years ago I was in Argentina, where I met up with a friend of Indian descent. The topic of future travel destinations came up, and I snidely  dismissed India as a possibility, to avoid the inevitable dysentery I’ve heard accompanies the trip. My friend wasn’t amused, and kindly let me know I was behaving like an stereotypical American #####.

The next day we visited an open air market. Against my better judgement and largely out of guilt, I shared some empenadas from one of the vendors.

Fast forward 3 days. The morning of my return flight, I’m queasy. Then the diarrhea begins. And continues throughout two 5+ hour flights.

I definitely don’t recommend it. I was constantly concerned I’d soil myself, likely crop dusting the entire plane as I made laps to-and-from the cramped lavatory. But the worst part may have been the shame I felt exiting the lacquered loo, as there was no denying I was responsible for the post-apocalyptic mess awaiting the next guy in line. Probably not an uncommon occurrence on return flights from the developing world, maybe even India?

The only silver lining was I found out my friend got sick, too. 

Users who are viewing this thread