What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 San Francisco 49ers thread *** NEW 2020 THREAD LINK INSIDE (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
2020 thread: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/783742-official-2020-san-francisco-49ers-thread/

New thread for 2019. I'll add the picks to this first post during the draft

Round 1, pick 2 (No 2 overall): Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State

Round 2, pick 4 (No 36 overall): Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina

Round 3, pick 3 (No 67 overall): Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor

Round 4, pick 8 (No 110 overall): Mitch Wishnowsky, P, Utah

Round 5 (No 148 overall): Dre Greenlaw, LB, Utah

Round 6, pick 3 (No 176 overall): Kaden Smith, TE, Stanford

Round 6, pick 10 (No 183 overall): Justin Skule, OT, Vanderbilt 

Round 6, pick 26 (No 198 overall): Tim Harris, CB, Virginia

Last edited by a moderator:
Local rumors have the 9ers looking to trade down. Bosa would help address their woeful pass defense, but the top if the draft is loaded with DLine talent. Whether they trade do or not, I am guessing Edge, CB and WR will be addressed at the top of the draft.

Don’t get cute. Take Bosa (assuming AZ doesn’t) to team with Buckner and Ford. Being able to put consistent pressure on the QB will make the secondary look a lot better.  

AJ Brown is my WR man crush, but they will probably have to trade back into the 1st to get him and without a lot of picks, that seems unlikely.  Lot of good WRs available in 2nd round, so I think they get one at 36th overall.  

Tomorrow will be fun  

*** HOT TAKE ***

Cardinals have been blowing smoke all along and go Bosa or Williams.

Niners elect to trade back (twice) and get two quality defenders in the first rpund and get a great WR in the 2nd (AJ/Harry).

*** HOT TAKE ***

Cardinals have been blowing smoke all along and go Bosa or Williams.

Niners elect to trade back (twice) and get two quality defenders in the first rpund and get a great WR in the 2nd (AJ/Harry).
So many great players over the years, been great  being a Niner fan going back to those alphabet days.

My major concern right now is Jimmy G.  I;m just not all that sold on him....yet.  What have we really seen?

I would love to have Bosa or Williams, but never get too excited over any rookies,  learned my lesson on that long ago.

I agree, I think the cards are going to take Bosa and that is what is going to cause us to trade down. Kind of sucks because Bosa would’ve been a perfect fit.

I agree, I think the cards are going to take Bosa and that is what is going to cause us to trade down. Kind of sucks because Bosa would’ve been a perfect fit.
Would not be surprised. Hopefully they can trade out if that happens. Really don't want them to use that pick on Williams regardless of how talented he is.

BPA and fills a HUGE need.  He needs to do something to break the Armstead/Thomas curse though :)

So happy to be wrong about AZ

It won't be Metcalf. Bad interview at combine with 49er brass.
I don't think so either.  I was just listing some of the top rated guys available.

Taylor was projected top 15 (1st OL off the board for many).  Wouldn't be surprised if he is the pick for AZ.  Gotta protect their new QB

I really want them to take AJ Brown at 36 if he's there.  Seems a perfect fit and would be fun to watch.  

It's gonna be more fun watching that suddenly scary D Line destroy QBs all season.
Rumor is they are shopping Thomas, but I really would like to see him play an entire season inside.  They probably wouldn't get more than a 4th for him at this point, so I would rather see them play it out another year.

Wingnut said:
It's gonna be more fun watching that suddenly scary D Line destroy QBs all season.
I wouldn’t hate them taking another edge rusher with one of their next picks. Ford and Bosa have both had injury issues and the team has no depth there.  

I wouldn’t hate them taking another edge rusher with one of their next picks. Ford and Bosa have both had injury issues and the team has no depth there.  
We haven't seen Kentavius Street yet, but he's another DE that should see the field this season.

Niners are on the clock and all the WRs are still there as is Greedy Williams, who I read did not get a pre draft invite from any team, which is strange.

efactor said:
Rumor is they are shopping Thomas, but I really would like to see him play an entire season inside.  They probably wouldn't get more than a 4th for him at this point, so I would rather see them play it out another year.
Agree. Put him inside where he belongs and he will flourish IMO.

Thought maybe Thompson from Alabama there. 

Not that it means crap, but I thought Hurd was more of a 5th round type. 

Tre Boston to the white courtesy phone please

I'm all for getting Jimmy G more weapons, but we could use a lil DB help

WRs:

Goodwin, Pettis, T Taylor, Samuel, Bourne, Matthews, R James, Hurd

I think we have plenty of WRs  now

Gonna play the old “they could have traded down” card here. 

But they made the pick really fast so guess he was their guy. 

Gonna play the old “they could have traded down” card here. 

But they made the pick really fast so guess he was their guy. 
Absolutely could have traded down to get this guy.

He is instantly our biggest WR though, I can see some 5 WR sets in the RZ...how are teams gonna cover Goodwin, Samuel, Pettis/Taylor, Matthews, Hurd...add Kittle, McKinnon, Breida and Coleman to the mix and you have a lot of capable pass catchers on this team. 

Yeah, I’m unconvinced that Lynch and Shanahan have figured out this drafting thing out. Hopefully I’m wrong.  
From a few articles on the Hurd pick (or course these articles are always positive and optimistic, so take them with a grain of salt)

Hurd is not just viewed as a wide receiver by the 49ers. Hurd’s background as a star running back and his potential to perhaps line up some at tight end has coach Kyle Shanahan salivating over the possibilities.

“We plan on him coming in as a wide receiver but I don’t think that’s where  it stops,” Shanahan said.

------

His athleticism and multi-faceted skill set should allow the 49ers to get creative in how they use him. He can play in the slot, or outside, and he can line up in the backfield. He’ll produce at least a little bit just by virtue of being big and athletic. If he steps into the pros and continues growing in the position at the rate he did his final year in college, he could be elite.

All the physical traits are there with Hurd, but he’ll need to continue growing as a pass catcher if he’s going to justify going with the third pick in third round.

Should he hit his ceiling, he’ll be a terror in the 49ers’ offense. They needed playmakers, and Hurd should be elite in that regard. It may take a year or two for him to really hit his stride, but the potential in Hurd is off the charts.

-------

At 6-foot-5 and 226 pounds, it's not hard to see how Hurd can be a potential mismatch nightmare. A former standout collegiate running back at the University of Tennessee, Hurd transferred to Baylor after not wanting to suffer numerous injuries as a tailback. Hurd missed 2017 while learning wide receiver, eventually reaching just shy of 1,000 receiving yards in 2018.

Baylor primarily used Hurd as a slot receiver, yet his frame is built for boundary duties.

If 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan keeps him there, of course.

And while Pro Bowl tight end George Kittle is the team's best pass-catching weapon, one can envision how Shanahan might try to use Hurd to complement Kittle.

Hurd is a true "go up and get it" receiver, which San Francisco lacks. Having played running back, he's also capable of being handed the ball in the unique kind of offensive packages Shanahan is certain to deploy.

As a mismatch on the field with Kittle, Samuel and fellow wideout Dante Pettis, however, one can envision how Shanahan can have a lot of fun this season.

-----

You need a creative offensive coordinator for Jalen Hurd because he can do a little bit of everything," Daniel Jeremiah said on NFL Network's broadcast following the pick. "It's going to be a fun matchup for Kyle Shanahan in the 49ers offense."

Jeremiah praised Hurd's ability as a fluid runner with the ball in his hands. NFL.com's Lance Zierlein said that Hurd has elite size and length with plus athleticism. Hurd immediately becomes the biggest receiver on the 49ers roster.

Much like Jerick McKinnon, Hurd will be able to line up all over the field (including running back). That means Shanahan has likely already envisioned how he'll utilize another Swiss army knife.

Was a bit surprised the Niners went WR-WR, but they need receivers. 

Man, Garapolo has a ton of weapons with McKinnon coming back, Tevin Coleman, Goodson & now 2 shiny new WRs. 

I wouldn’t have minded seeing a Staley replacement getting drafted in the 2nd though. :shrug:

Was a bit surprised the Niners went WR-WR, but they need receivers. 

Man, Garapolo has a ton of weapons with McKinnon coming back, Tevin Coleman, Goodson & now 2 shiny new WRs. 

I wouldn’t have minded seeing a Staley replacement getting drafted in the 2nd though. :shrug:
Taylor went the pick before them in the 2nd. Wonder if he would have been the pick?

Gardner and Thompson still on the board at safety.  

Mack Wilson, Hakeem Butler and Kelvin Harmon a few of the notables still hanging around. 

So we're not gonna carry 50 WRs...who gets cut?
Assuming they are done drafting WRs:

Pettis, Samuel, Hurd, Goodwin (deep ball threat), Matthews (big slot and solid vet) are in (IMO anyway).

Bourne is gone

Last spot for either Taylor or James.  

Users who are viewing this thread