What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 San Francisco 49ers thread *** NEW 2020 THREAD LINK INSIDE (2 Viewers)

Did Shannahan recently say something about McKinnon still getting the majority of the work in the backfield?  I swear I read something like it but I can’t find the quote anywhere now. 
The guy who had Freeman and Coleman in Atlanta said he brought McKinnon in for the Freeman role and then went out and got Coleman.  So it would certainly make sense that McKinnon is the 1A.

Last edited by a moderator:
2/19/19:

The San Francisco 49ers had big plans for free agent running back Jerick McKinnon last year, but an ACL tear cut short his season before it could even get underway. McKinnon is now in the process of rehabbing his ankle, and big plans remain in place.

On Wednesday, head coach Kyle Shanahan was asked about McKinnon’s rehab and if the plan was for him to be the lead guy in the backfield. Shanahan was up front saying, “Yea, that’s what we brought him here for.”

Shanahan: “In this day and age, ACL, everyone recovers pretty good, it seems. It’s also tougher from a running back position, I would say, than from the quarterback. I would say he and Jimmy are – Jerick did it a month before him but I think they’ll be on the same page coming back. Jimmy it’s a little bit easier to throw in there in OTAs in 7-on-7 and it’s hard to throw a running back in there because if someone runs into him, it’s a little different. They have to make cuts that are a little bit different. But, Jerick’s been working his tail off. It’s the first time he’s hurt his knee and everything is on pace to be back. We’re really excited to get him back.”

Fantasy wise, I just don't see McKinnon doing much on the ground with Coleman and Breida in the mix.  I think both are better pure runners than McKinnon.

I am excited to see both McKinnon and Coleman as receivers though.  

Bosa has a grade 1 hamstring strain and will be held out of practice until training camp, and Jimmy Ward broke his collarbone today in practice.

49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo’s supporting cast ranked seventh in NFL

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/6/20/18693040/49ers-supporting-cast-ranked-seventh

If I would have told you the Monday after Week 17 that the San Francisco 49ers would have one of the best-supporting casts heading into the 2019 season you would have likely reacted in one of three ways. The homer in you would have agreed. The pessimists would have gotten a good laugh. The realist would have pointed to health.

Bleacher Report’s Brad Gagnon ranked every NFL quarterback supporting cast heading into the 2019 season. The 49ers were No. 7 on the list.

"They’re still trying to sort out who’ll lead the way at wide receiver and running back, but there might not be a deeper skill-position group in the NFL than the one that belongs to the Jimmy Garoppolo-quarterbacked San Francisco 49ers.

No other team boasts a running back trio like Tevin Coleman, Jerick McKinnon and Matt Breida. It’s unclear who will emerge there, but it’s extremely unlikely all three fail. The accomplished Coleman averaged 4.8 yards per rush last year in Atlanta, McKinnon was one of the league’s best pass-catching backs in Minnesota and Breida’s 2018 yards-per-attempt average of 5.3 ranked fourth among qualified backs.

No established elite receiver resides on the roster, but 2018 second-round pick Dante Pettis came on strong late in his rookie season, Kendrick Bourne flashed as a sophomore and speedster Marquise Goodwin was a deep threat when healthy. They also now have enticing Day 2 rookies Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd, as well as veteran Jordan Matthews.

But the real focus is at tight end. George Kittle emerged in his sophomore season as one of the game’s top offensive weapons. His 1,377 receiving yards were the most by a tight end in NFL history, and he should only get better with Garoppolo back from a knee injury in 2019."

The Indianapolis Colts were one spot ahead of the 49ers on the list. Gagnon’s reasoning was the TY Hilton-Eric Ebron-Marlon Mack combo gives the Colts the edge over a 49ers trio of Dante Pettis-George Kittle-Tevin Coleman. Hmmm.

The 49ers find themselves high on the list due to a plethora of options at the skill position. Kyle Shanahan mentioned last week he felt like this was the first roster he had that could overcome injuries. Kittle is a star, and Pettis is on his way to becoming a household name in the league.

The most significant difference for me this year will be the 49ers ability to make plays once the ball is in their hands. I imagine we will see a lot of gains that would have been seven yards last year turn into 15+ yard gains. The added athleticism at the skill positions on offense will make it tough for defenses to get the 49ers off the field.

John Averageman has thrown 12 TDs in 8 games as a starter in  a 49ers uni. avg'd about 63% comp, 275 yards/g,m, and 1 INT per game. exactly what am I missing here? I just don't see it with the Niners . I'm not drinking the kool-aid. They're a bad, really bad team, without much talent at the skill positions save for Kittle, and a pretty terrible coaching staff that has one of the worst records in the NFL over the past two seasons. I don't see SF magically turning this carpet ride around and making it work. 

There's nothing more than potential bye-week fillers and desperation plays on this team, but nothing you'd stick your nect out to draft and have that person be a building block of your fantasy team. I can't imagine any of these players , outside of Kittle, being selected anywhere but the rounds close to the kickers - i.e., 2nd to last, last, and waiver wire fodder.

by Halloween they'll be calling for John Averageman to be benched. He's not a good starting QB.

Bleacher Report’s Brad Gagnon ranked every NFL quarterback supporting cast heading into the 2019 season. The 49ers were No. 7 on the list.

"They’re still trying to sort out who’ll lead the way at wide receiver and running back, but there might not be a deeper skill-position group in the NFL than the one that belongs to the Jimmy Garoppolo-quarterbacked San Francisco 49ers..

The 49ers find themselves high on the list due to a plethora of options at the skill position. Kyle Shanahan mentioned last week he felt like this was the first roster he had that could overcome injuries. Kittle is a star, and Pettis is on his way to becoming a household name in the league.

The most significant difference for me this year will be the 49ers ability to make plays once the ball is in their hands. I imagine we will see a lot of gains that would have been seven yards last year turn into 15+ yard gains. The added athleticism at the skill positions on offense will make it tough for defenses to get the 49ers off the field.
Going to be a fun team to watch this year. 

Kyle finally has some offensive talent to work with.  Their offense was solid last year when he was working with an UDFA QB, waiver wire RBs like Morris and Wilson filling in when Breida was out and a group of WRs that were playing mainly due to injuries to others.  Coleman, McKinnon, Breida, Pettis, Goodwin, Samuel, Hurd, Matthews and Kittle.  Would be nice to have a true #1 WR in the Hopkins or Beckham mold (which is why I wanted them to grab Antonio Brown) but Kittle is a star and Pettis could take the same 2nd year jump that Kittle did last year.  

There was so much hype going into 2018 based off the 2017 finish after Garoppolo took over.  2019 roster is sooooooo much better than it was going into 2018 but the team is kind of under the radar this year, which I think is a good thing.  

As a long time fan, a lot of similarities to how things looked going into the 1981 season.  Walsh was in his 3rd year after two seasons of 2-14 and 6-10.  He had taken over a team with the NFLs worst roster and while they were losing you could feel them moving in the right direction.  Expectations were for 8-9 wins going into the season. 

Football can’t get here soon enough  

:clap:

49ers and Gould reach Multi year deal

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/7/15/20694482/robbie-gould-contract-extension-news-49ers

Per Schefter, the agreement is a two-year, $10.5 million deal that is fully guaranteed. There is also an option clause that could turn this into 4-year, $19 million deal with $15 million guaranteed.

This makes Gould, the NFL’s most accurate kicker in 2018 with a 97.1 field goal percentage, the second-highest paid kicker in the league. Had he played on the franchise tag, Gould would have been making somewhere in the realm of $5 million for one year. If he plays the entirety of his four-year deal, he averages $4.75 million.

Colin Cowherd compares Kyle Shanahan to Bill Belichick, has problem with NFL.com coach ranking

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/126324-cowherd-compares-shanahan-patriots-belichick-problem-nflcom-ranking/

Elliot Harrison of NFL.com ranked all of the NFL head coaches this week. It was no surprise to see New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick at the top of the list. The ranking only includes coaches who have experience in the role. That means no rookie head coaches made the list.

Where did the San Francisco 49ers' head coach land within the ranking? Fans had to scroll down, and down, and down, to find Kyle Shanahan's name at No. 23 on a list that included 26 total head coaches.

"This might not be a fair ranking for a guy who kept the 49ers competitive in the second half of the season while having to play musical chairs at quarterback," Harrison admits. "The problem here is that Shanahan hasn't really accomplished anything yet as a head coach, which makes the criteria for evaluating his performance somewhat narrow."

Colin Cowherd of FOX Sports was not a fan of Shanahan's placement on the list and discussed the ranking this week.

"What are you doing?" Cowherd indirectly asked Harrison. "Let me tell you, NFL.com writer (he didn't want to name Harrison specifically), Shanahan has a doppelgänger on this league. It's called Belichick. Belichick was a great coordinator. Everywhere he went, teams got better. (He) went to Cleveland, won some games but couldn't win consistently because he couldn't get the great quarterback.

"If I had told you when Belichick was in Cleveland, this is the next great head coach in the league, you would have scoffed at it. But if you had done any homework with Belichick, you would have known. He actually did an incredible job in Cleveland for what he had, and he was the best coordinator in the league."

Cowherd compares Shanahan's success as an offensive coordinator to Belichick's.

"He made Matt Schaub a Pro Bowler," Cowherd continued. "He made Matt Ryan an MVP. Then he leaves, the teams aren't the same, the quarterbacks aren't the same."

Cowherd then shared the following information from a tweet by analyst Warren Sharp:

Warren Sharp ✔ @SharpFootball

This is what Kyle Shanahan has been dealing with since arriving in SF:

QB attempts:
Beathard 392
Mullens 274
Jimmy G 267
Hoyer 205

Team health:
#29, #23

Defensive health/efficiency:
#24/#28, #32/#13

Schedule faced:
#7, #15

Record in one-score games:
5-11 (3rd worst)

"Kyle Shanahan, when he has had Jimmy Garoppolo, a legitimate franchise quarterback, is 6-and-2," Cowherd said. "That's 6-and-2 as he's rebuild(ing) with a tougher-then-ever schedule, with a team that can't stay healthy, and a bad defense, which you can't blame him for that because he's not drafting the players. Their secondary is atrocious.

"So if you look at him when he's actually had a quarterback that's considered a franchise quarterback, 400 yards a game, 93 passer rating, they win by over a field goal, 27 points a game, 6-and-2. This is Belichick before he got a franchise quarterback."

Cowherd believes Shanahan will be considered a top-six NFL head coach in a few years.

Baldinger: ‘Heads will roll’ if the 49ers don’t win 10 games this year

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/126303-baldy-heads-roll-49ers-dont-win-games-year/

What is the minimum number games the San Francisco 49ers have to win for the 2019 season to be considered a success? Would 8-8 be considered a successful campaign? Would they have to win well over eight games for fans and the media to be reassured the team is headed in the right direction?

The 49ers haven't reached eight wins since the 2014 season under Jim Harbaugh. The team has averaged just over four wins per season since then. Head coach Kyle Shanahan's and general manager John Lynch's squad has won 10 games total over the past two seasons and earned just four victories last season.

NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger, who joined 95.7 The Game on Monday morning, believes the minimum number of victories required this season for the 49ers to not disappoint is 10 games. If that mark is not hit, he believes there could be some repercussions in San Francisco.

"This has to be the year that the 49ers compete every week," Baldinger said on the "Joe, Lo and Dibs" show. "And I'm not talking about, 'Well, let's get to eight wins.' No. This is a team that has been building for three straight years. Their quarterback is the biggest part of it.

"This is a team that has to go out and win 10 games this year. If they don't, regardless of what Garoppolo does, it's going to be a major disappointment and heads will roll, as they like to say. This is a do-or-die year for Garoppolo and for the 49ers, and so I expect 10 wins for this football team this year. And if that's enough to get to the postseason, well, then so be it. But if it isn't, that's where they've got to be.

"They've got to get double-digit wins, and the quarterback has to play at a high level to do it."

Baldinger goes on to point out that Shanahan and Lynch have been adding pieces to their roster through free agency, the draft, and trades for three straight years and it is time to finally produce.

"It's just time to put this thing together," Baldinger adds. "There's just no five-year plan in the NFL. Three years, it's time to get it done, and they have the talent to do it. It's not a question of talent or anything else right now. It's a question of just going out there and playing as a team, taking care of the football, and start taking the football away because those are what good teams do."

Baldinger also said he expects rookie wide receiver Deebo Samuel to "be a stud in this league," but doesn't know how long it will take for him to reach his potential.

Peter King believes the 49ers make the playoffs if Jimmy Garoppolo stays healthy

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/126328-peter-believes-49ers-playoffs-jimmy-garoppolo-stays-healthy/

Peter King is among the members of the media who are extremely optimistic about the San Francisco 49ers this season. The NBC Sports writer not only feels the team will be significantly better than last year but predicts the Kyle Shanahan-led squad makes the playoffs.

The 49ers roster is believed to be much-improved — at least on paper. Team decision-makers bolstered the pass rush with the additions of veteran Dee Ford and rookie Nick Bosa; added two young receivers via the draft in Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd; replaced troubled linebacker Reuben Foster with rehabbing Kwon Alexander; and added Tevin Coleman to the mix at running back.

King joined 95.7 The Game on Tuesday and made his 49ers prediction.

"I am still bullish on [John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan], and I'm still bullish on the 49ers as an organization and a team," King told Damon Bruce. "When I ranked teams in the offseason, I ranked them in my top 10 in the league. I think they're going to make a big jump this year."

Much of the upcoming season depends on the health and play of quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, who is returning from a torn ACL. King believes Garoppolo will have a big year. He says if Shanahan had his franchise quarterback for 16 games last season, the 49ers would have been fighting for a playoff spot.

"I think the 49ers are going to make the playoffs," King continued. "Again, it's hard to say that in a vacuum. If Jimmy Garoppolo slips on a banana peel in September, they're not making the playoffs."

King brushed off the belief by some that Garoppolo, among other quarterbacks, might be injury-prone.

"Having said that, I think they have to prove that they can stay upright," he added. "But I believe, in my opinion, if Garoppolo plays in 16 games this year, I'm picking the 49ers to go to the playoffs."

Pro Football Focus ranks 49ers pass rush eighth best in the NFL entering 2019

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/126337-football-focus-ranks-49ers-pass-eighth-nfl-entering/

The San Francisco 49ers spent considerable effort upgrading their defensive front during the offseason, namely by bringing in former Kansas City Chiefs EDGE Dee Ford via a trade, then using the No. 3 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft on Ohio State EDGE Nick Bosa, widely viewed as the top overall prospect coming out in the draft.

These efforts appeared to have caught the attention of the folks over at Pro Football Focus, who just ranked out all 32 teams' pass rushes heading into the upcoming 2019 campaign.

PFF ranked the Niners eighth overall, citing the additions of both Ford and Bosa as key reasons why fans should be excited about San Francisco's pass rush in 2019:

"This is the biggest mover from a season ago. DeForest Buckner led the team with a measly 73.0 pass-rushing grade last season. Nick Bosa and Dee Ford will be changing that in 2019. Ford's league-leading 78 pressures doubled the 49ers' top edge defender last season."

While Buckner might have been tagged with a "measly 73.0" pass-rush grade, one can't ignore the fact he notched a career-high 12 sacks on the season. But Buckner didn't exactly have a lot of help around him in this department. Defensive linemen Cassius Marsh and Ronald Blair were tied on the 49ers defense with 5.5 sacks apiece, and the Niners managed a mere 37 sacks total over the course of 2018 -- tied for 22nd a year ago.

Marsh is no longer with the team, and Blair is arguably on the roster bubble heading into training camp, made so by additions like those of Ford and Bosa.

Buckner figures to have an even more prolific 2019 campaign, however, with opposing blockers no longer allowed to solely focus on his pass-rushing efforts. Ford will likely occupy the weak-side pass-rushing spot, with Bosa lining up on the strong side of the formation. Simply double teaming Buckner will no longer be effective for the opposition.

PFF ranked the Denver Broncos, New Orleans Saints, Houston Texans, Los Angeles Chargers, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars and Philadelphia Eagles ahead of the 49ers in descending order.

Both Bosa and Deebo signed today :clap:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/126463-49ers-sign-1st-round-draft-pick-nick-bosa-4-year/

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/7/25/8930607/49ers-deebo-samuel-contract-signed?fbclid=IwAR0GpkEd6tcz2vnjxsgwHKvbv8oxlDI7cdG4tx3BWTzwbuJyrtnMZHDirtA

The total value of Bosa's four-year contract is believed to be $33,551,874, or very close to that amount, according to OverTheCap.com. That includes a signing bonus of $22,421,364 and a 2019 salary cap figure of $6,100,341.

The total value of Samuel’s four-year contract is believed to be $7,697,356, or very close to that amount, according to OverTheCap.com. That includes a signing bonus of $3,618,076 and a 2019 salary-cap figure of $1,399,519

Both Bosa and Deebo signed today :clap:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/126463-49ers-sign-1st-round-draft-pick-nick-bosa-4-year/

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/7/25/8930607/49ers-deebo-samuel-contract-signed?fbclid=IwAR0GpkEd6tcz2vnjxsgwHKvbv8oxlDI7cdG4tx3BWTzwbuJyrtnMZHDirtA

The total value of Bosa's four-year contract is believed to be $33,551,874, or very close to that amount, according to OverTheCap.com. That includes a signing bonus of $22,421,364 and a 2019 salary cap figure of $6,100,341.

The total value of Samuel’s four-year contract is believed to be $7,697,356, or very close to that amount, according to OverTheCap.com. That includes a signing bonus of $3,618,076 and a 2019 salary-cap figure of $1,399,519
Good deal.  They need all the reps they can get.

Amazing difference between being drafted in the high 1st vs the high 2nd money wise.  Still, not bad for a 23 year old Deebo to be getting a couple million after taxes. 

From the article...

Shanahan initially said that neither will participate during preseason. He later clarified taht Garoppolo and Alexander will not play during Week 1 of preseason — a matchup against the Dallas Cowboys. The team will reevaluate each player after that.
Just saw that ad edited my post. I was thinking WTF is Shanahan thinking holding Jimmy out of preseason...he needs to knock the rust off and get some full speed action before week 1 of the reg season for sure.

49ers training camp recap: All about about the red zone on Day 5

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/8/1/20750702/49ers-training-camp-recap-red-zone-day-5-garoppolo-pettis-shanahan-nfl-2019

The San Francisco 49ers struggled in the red zone in 2018, on both sides of the ball. That was the focus of the team on Thursday after a much-needed day off. The 49ers’ return to training camp for Day 5 featured a significant focus on the end zone, both in individual and team portions of practice. It was the offense’s turn to claim a victory.

Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo had a bounce-back day after completing just five of 14 passes on Tuesday. He finished team five of eight and completed five of six during the red zone portion, throwing four touchdowns. He connected with wideout Dante Pettis for two scores, while tight end George Kittle and running back Matt Breida caught the other two.

The final portion of practice wasn’t all offense, though. Sheldon Day totaled two sacks and an impressive run stop while working from the interior of the defensive line. Arik Armstead looked poised to add a sack of his own, but Garoppolo fired it over the top of the defensive lineman and found Pettis in the back of the endzone.

Thursday’s practice also featured some 1-on-1 red zone action between the receivers and defensive backs. The highlight of the session was Pettis’ matchup with Richard Sherman. The second-year wideout beat the veteran to the corner on a fade from Garoppolo, leaping up to haul in the pass before turning and tapping his feet in bounds. It was an superb play from Pettis, and Sherman was quick to offer praise.

Receiver Kendrick Bourne won all of his reps, most of which came against cornerback Dontae Johnson. Receiver Trent Taylor and cornerback K’Waun Williams went back and forth in a competitive, quick-twitch matchup. Rookie wideout Deebo Samuel imposed his will on the slant route against corner DJ Reed for the score. Jason Verrett looks healthy and had an nice pass breakup while covering Samuel. The former Los Angeles Chargers’ cornerback is still being eased back from his torn Achilles suffered in 2018.

Notes

Coach Kyle Shanahan, general manager John Lynch and players visited, took photos and offered condolences to the family of Tara O’Sullivan on Thursday, the Sacramento police officer that was killed in the line of duty on June 19, 2019. The entire team signed a first responder flag that was given to the family in honor of Tara.

The 49ers run game looked noticeably improved on Day 5. DeForest Buckner’s absence was likely a factor in that success. Tevin Coleman, Matt Breida and Raheem Mostert all looked solid in a rushing attack that had been easily stifled before today. Coleman was the recipient of a huge hit from Richard Sherman earlier in camp. The 49ers running back got revenge today, knocking Sherman back on his rear after catching a short pass from Jimmy Garoppolo.

Second-year wideout Richie James continues to make plays. He’s been one of the most impressive and consistent receivers through five practices and is a favorite target for all three quarterbacks. Marquise Goodwin also had a strong day.

Defensive back Tarvarius Moore authored an impressive hit on Thursday. Breida bounced the ball out left and was attempted to gain the edge. Moore took a good angle and met Breida just beyond the defensive line, driving him back until the whistle. The hit earned plenty of praise from the rest of the defense. Moore is competing with Adrian Colbert to be the starter at free safety. Jimmie Ward is yet to return to practice.

Punter Mitch Wishnowsky got some extended work today kicking to the 49ers’ crop of punt returners. The fourth-round pick worked several style punts, many of which were a pain for to reel in for Pettis, Reed and the other returners. Wishnowsky’s last two punts both eclipsed the five-second mark for hang time. The NFL’s leader in 2018 averaged 4.8 seconds.

Defensive lineman Dee Ford was dealing with tendinitis in his knee today and sat out the team portion of practice. Ford said that the initial knee pain had been a reoccurring issue throughout training camps in years past. It did not seem serious, and Shanahan does not expect Ford to miss any time.

Guard Josh Garnett underwent surgery recently to repair a dislocated finger suffered during the first day of training camp. Shanahan said the former first-round guard is expected to be out three weeks.

Always something with Garnett.  Sheesh

So glad they moved Moore back to his natural safety position.  Looks like Joe Woods can actually coach DBs and has enough common sense to get them in their best positions.  Quit drafting guys and then changing their positions.  They did it with Reed too. It doesn't work 95 percent (OK, just a number I threw out) of the time.

Happy about McKinnon’s return. He could be a bargain for dynasty / Keeper leagues drafting now. 

They brought him in as a centerpiece player - I can’t see them not using him if he’s 100%, and he’s got some ability in Shanahan’s offense.  At worst I think he’ll be a flex-worthy play, provides the offense is clicking.

Sucks about Bosa & Verrett. :doh:  

Bosa sprained ankle and won't play in preseason. He should be ready to go week 1.

Verrett minor sprained ankle. I imagine he'll be able to play some in preseason.

Bosa sprained ankle and won't play in preseason. He should be ready to go week 1.

Verrett minor sprained ankle. I imagine he'll be able to play some in preseason.
Glad to hear nothing major but still, concerning when Bosa keeps getting dinged.  Guy has huge talent, but got to stay on the field.

Glad to hear nothing major but still, concerning when Bosa keeps getting dinged.  Guy has huge talent, but got to stay on the field.
He got rolled in a pile, kind of a freak thing. I'm not too worried about his durability.

Interesting article by Kawakami about Jimmy G in the Athletic. I didn’t realize they could cut him after this year with basically no cap ramifications. 

Interesting article by Kawakami about Jimmy G in the Athletic. I didn’t realize they could cut him after this year with basically no cap ramifications. 
Oh yeah.  Paraag can structure a contract.

Would suck if it came to that though.  

He got rolled in a pile, kind of a freak thing. I'm not too worried about his durability.
Well, I don't want to worry, but I do.  Huge piece of the defense and having him constantly dinged would suck.  So far, he hasn't been able to get through drills consistently without something happening. 

Would be nice to not hold your breath every time he is in on a tackle.  Kind of Foster like without the crazy girlfriend.

Recently discovered a cool internet series called "Brick By Brick", a weekly training camp show (kind of like Hard Knocks) that is produced by the 49ers (this is season 3). Each episode is only 15-20 minutes long, but man I could watch this stuff all day. The 3rd episode just came out yesterday, I load em up on my laptop and cast them to my TV. Very cool stuff.

Watch em here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=brick+by+brick+49ers

“As for Week 1, I don’t know,” he said. “But I think we’re going to have him for the majority of the year.” - Lynch on Bosa. 

Yeah, nothing to be concerned about here...

So Jimmy looked pretty bad and  timid against the Broncos, but Im really surprised Shanahan didnt call a couple of RB or WR screens to start the game to get that first completion or two out of the way and give him some confidence so he can just play football and not think about the knee. The O-line was terrible too those first few series, so Im not freaking out, but Jimmy really needs to get over the mental hurdle.

On a positive note, Deebo looks pretty good, hes had a big play in both preseason games so far.

Looking forward to seeing the first team on the field for a while Saturday against the Chiefs.

as mentioned on good morning show on NFL network, this is the biggest preseason game in SF history. Jimmy G HAS TO perform at a high level. Nate Burleson was saying it's all about pressure now.he played with house money when first traded.got the big contract.then got hurt.but now it's all on him he needs to be (very) productive. if he looks like the Jimmy G of last week, he's doomed - he won't last as the starting QB of the Niners. Shanahan and Lynch hitched their wagon to JG, as he goes, so do they. he couldn't hit a barn with a basketball last week, he had passes batted down, nearly lost a pick-6. if he doesn't deliver this week, it's over. 

Good news for the O-line: Both offensive linemen Mike Person and Joshua Garnett were back in action Thursday, along with defensive end Ronald Blair, defensive tackle DJ Jones, defensive back Antone Exum Jr. and tight end Levine Toilolo according to Chris Biderman of the Sacramento Bee.

Person was dealing with a foot strain he suffered during last week’s joint practices with the Broncos. Garnett is finally back after missing two weeks due to surgery on a dislocated finger.

We really need Richburg back, center is a huge concern if he doesnt get back soon

49ers’ Jimmy Garoppolo has room to improve and that should alarm no one, says Greg Cosell

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/127429-49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-room-improve-should-alarm-cosell/

NFL Films producer and ESPN analyst Greg Cosell joined KNBR on Wednesday and was asked what fans and the media should think about San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo's poor performance on Monday night against the Denver Broncos.

"He's obviously a bust after six throws," Cosell joked in response to the overreaction across the nation. "I think he should probably be cut tomorrow, and then you can just move on."

Garoppolo went 1-of-6 passing for zero yards with an interception in his first in-game snaps since tearing his ACL on September 23, 2018. Cosell went on to call Garoppolo's poor outing "totally irrelevant," and suggests that instead of just looking at the quarterback's six throws, he went back and looked at each of the signal-caller's snaps from 2018.

"I would be in the crowd that says those dropbacks actually have meaning, and the game the other night is totally irrelevant," Cosell said. "I'd be happy to tell you what I saw from his 130-some-odd dropbacks from a year ago [...] And I think he's got some work to do, quite honestly."

Cosell had the following thoughts on Garoppolo's 2018 snaps.

There were a few too many snaps in which Garoppolo was impatient and indecisive in the pocket.

There were times he did not allow routes to develop.

Garoppolo needed to become more precise with his ball placement. Even some of his completions weren't as accurate as they could have been.

There were times when Garoppolo needed to do a better job of quickly eliminating what wasn't developing during a play and identifying what was available to him.

"So I think these are areas in which he needs to improve, but I'm not surprised by any of this," Cosell continued. "This should not be alarming to anyone. Guys, he's started 10 NFL games. He hasn't started the equivalent of a full NFL season. What people respond to is the money that he got paid. I don't really care about that. I evaluate the player.

"When a guy has 10 starts in his career, there's a lot of work that needs to get done."

Cosell says Garoppolo has all the traits to be a very good quarterback, but he needs refinement from coaching and experience. Garoppolo has been getting the coaching portion, and now he just needs to receive more playing time. That development could have taken place last season if not for the injury.

Added Cosell, "As the season progressed, if he had gotten a chance to play, and get into rhythm, and work through the offense, and the game planning that Kyle Shanahan, in my view, is very good at, then who knows what would have happened?"

Chances of 49ers rookie Nick Bosa playing Week 1 are 50-50, says John Lynch (and other injury news)

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/127445-chances-49ers-rookie-nick-bosa-playing-50-50-lynch/

San Francisco 49ers general manager John Lynch joined KNBR on Thursday and provided a few injury updates as his team prepares for its third preseason game — a Saturday matchup against the Chiefs in Kansas City.

Lynch said veteran pass rusher Dee Ford, whom the 49ers traded for in March, is close to returning but fans shouldn't expect to see him during the preseason.

"Dee is very close," Lynch said. "I don't think we'll see Dee in the preseason, but we're alright with that. He just had kind of a chronic tendinitis issue that flared up again. We wanted it gone for the regular season. They've done a really good job. It's good to see him out here. He's out here running now. He's doing really well with that."

Running back Jerick McKinnon briefly returned after a lengthy rehab from an ACL injury sustained before last season. He had a flare-up in his knee and received platelet-rich plasma injections earlier this month.

"McKinnon, that's something that's been a fluid situation," Lynch said. "We're just trying to be very judicious. Last time, I don't think we rushed him when he had his flare-up, but it didn't work. So you go back and say, 'What can we do better this time to give him the best possible chance?' We're trying to do that, but I think that should be soon."

Then you have rookie defensive end Nick Bosa, who suffered an ankle injury on August 7 and hasn't practiced since then. Cornerback Jason Verrett left the same practice, also with an ankle injury.

"Nick Bosa, he's coming along really well," Lynch said. "I think truly, (getting him back for) Week 1, I don't know, 50-50, but it's going to be touch and go as to whether he makes it. And Verrett, the same way. But we'll learn a lot more.

"Those guys, everyone's doing really good in their rehab. It's just a lot of those, we knew would be close, so we'll see as things get a little bit closer."

Lynch also discussed the team's offensive line. They thought the unit had better depth heading into the upcoming season before swing tackle Shon Coleman was lost for the year with a fractured fibula and dislocated ankle.

The offensive line did get back two guards, Mike Person and Joshua Garnett, this week.

"Josh Garnett, the good news is he's been back out at practice, albeit in a cast, this week," Lynch said. "Josh is going to have to come show us that he's ready to compete."

Weston Richburg, the 49ers' starting center, remains on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform list after undergoing knee surgery in January.

"Richburg is doing really well in his rehab," Lynch said. "The plan is to have him back, hopefully, to practice around Chargers week, going into next week. That's going to be a welcome sight. He's a really good player we invested heavily in, and it's going to be nice to see him back and healthy. His rehab has gone extremely well."

Lynch added, "We're starting to get guys back, and that's a good thing."

Much better night for Jimmy. 14/20 for 188, 1TD, 0INT, 116.3 rating.

I would have liked to see Mostert in short yardage situations, he's proven himself to be a bruiser that will get you the yards you need.

Users who are viewing this thread