What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 San Francisco 49ers thread *** NEW 2020 THREAD LINK INSIDE (1 Viewer)

Are they improving on defense without getting healthier at this point in the season?  I don’t think so. And if they aren’t better on defense they aren’t making serious noise in the playoffs. 
Because they can’t possibly out score other teams. Oh wait.

Getting healthier will certainly help but the defense can also play better with what they have.  Plus, Tartt is getting healthier, which will make a big difference. Harris has been a huge drop off. I like Harris and all but he isn’t ready for this role yet. Not really counting on Ford.  Time for Buckner to start getting his name called again.  Guy has been pretty invisible for someone who came into the season as a player supposedly in the tier right below Aaron Donald.  

They can  beat any team in the NFC with what they have.  Doesn’t mean they will, but they can.  Other than Tartt, I wouldn’t really count on anyone else getting heathy enough to contribute.  Would be a great story if Alexander came back but odds are not in his favor.  

Winning this week and getting home field advantage is huge.  Playing the Saints or Packers at home is much more manageable.  

efactor said:
Because they can’t possibly out score other teams. Oh wait.

Getting healthier will certainly help but the defense can also play better with what they have.  Plus, Tartt is getting healthier, which will make a big difference. Harris has been a huge drop off. I like Harris and all but he isn’t ready for this role yet. Not really counting on Ford.  Time for Buckner to start getting his name called again.  Guy has been pretty invisible for someone who came into the season as a player supposedly in the tier right below Aaron Donald.  

They can  beat any team in the NFC with what they have.  Doesn’t mean they will, but they can.  Other than Tartt, I wouldn’t really count on anyone else getting heathy enough to contribute.  Would be a great story if Alexander came back but odds are not in his favor.  

Winning this week and getting home field advantage is huge.  Playing the Saints or Packers at home is much more manageable.  
I’m not sure exactly what the discussion here is about. If you’re saying that the suggestion that the Niners need to get healthier on defense to be a super bowl contender is trolling, then that’s total nonsense. You can disagree but it’s not an unreasonable take. I personally don’t like the Niners’ odds to put up 30-40+ points for 2-3 games in the playoffs, but YMMV. 

I’m not sure exactly what the discussion here is about. If you’re saying that the suggestion that the Niners need to get healthier on defense to be a super bowl contender is trolling, then that’s total nonsense. You can disagree but it’s not an unreasonable take. I personally don’t like the Niners’ odds to put up 30-40+ points for 2-3 games in the playoffs, but YMMV. 
You may not like the odds, but they are obviously capable of it.  Also, they can definitely play better with the guys that are healthy.  They are a contender regardless. 

The original statement was an absolute they weren't a contender unless health improved.  That's what the true "total nonsense" is.

You may not like the odds, but they are obviously capable of it.  Also, they can definitely play better with the guys that are healthy.  They are a contender regardless. 

The original statement was an absolute they weren't a contender unless health improved.  That's what the true "total nonsense" is.
This thread’s lovable super homer agreed with the post in question. It wasn’t trolling. 

This thread’s lovable super homer agreed with the post in question. It wasn’t trolling. 
:homer:

Im just trying not to set expectations super high. I absolutely think they can beat anyone. Do I think being healthy gives them a better chance? Of course.

I dont think Smails was saying they cant win a SB if they dont get healthier, just that it will be more of an uphill battle if they dont get a few key players back healthy, and I can agree with that. This team has very few players with playoff experience, and thats the thing I worry about the most. They have the talent, but we have to wait and see how they respond to the pressure that is the postseason. Every game, every snap, every down is huge, and they have to protect the ball and avoid turnovers at all costs.

Im so ready for Sunday night to get here!!!

Wow. I didnt realize Valoaga was that bad, although I havent looked at his stats from the past 2 games. I remember he was a preseason standout (and might have even led the team in sacks IIRC). Watch Seattle claim him now :angry:

49ers sign defensive lineman Anthony Zettel to a one-year deal, waive Jeremiah Valoaga

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/132414-49ers-sign-defensive-lineman-anthony-zettel-one-year-deal/

The San Francisco 49ers announced today that the team has signed defensive lineman Anthony Zettel to a one-year deal and waived defensive lineman Jeremiah Valoaga in a corresponding move.

Valoaga appeared in four games with the 49ers this season and registered two tackles and one pass defensed after being promoted to the active roster from the team's practice squad on November 27.

The 49ers Communications staff provided the following information about Zettel:

Zettel (6-4, 275) was originally drafted by the Detroit Lions in the sixth round (202nd overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. Throughout his four-year career with the Lions (2016-17), Cleveland Browns (2018) and Cincinnati Bengals (2019), he has appeared in 48 games (16 starts) and registered 75 tackles, 7.5 sacks, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. After signing with the Bengals on October 17, 2019, he appeared in four games and registered five tackles prior to being waived by the team on December 17.

Last edited by a moderator:
49ers finally give Bosa, Armstead, Buckner a break; pass-rusher signed

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/amp/49ers-finally-give-Bosa-Armstead-Buckner-a-14928391.php

The defense rested.

After the 49ers’ top three available pass-rushers had played an inordinate amount of snaps in their previous three games, their workload was lightened in Saturday’s 34-31 win over the Rams.

Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner all played 73% of the snaps (51 of 70). They had combined to play 89.5% percent of the snaps in the previous three weeks.

The 49ers may have survived those downs, but the reserves didn’t necessarily flourish: Solomon Thomas, Sheldon Day, Kentavius Street and Jeremiah Voloaga had just one quarterback pressure on 81 pass-rush snaps, according to Pro Football Focus. :shock:

On Monday, the 49ers waived Voloaga, an edge rusher, and signed pass-rusher Anthony Zettel.

Zettel, 27, a 2016 sixth-round pick of the Lions, spent two seasons in Detroit with 49ers defensive line coach Kris Kocurek. He has 75 tackles and 7.5 sacks in a 48-game, 16-start career that’s also included stops with the Browns and Bengals. He was waived by Cincinnati on Dec. 17 after he had five tackles in four games.

Voloaga played 44 snaps and had two tackles and a pass breakup in four games after he was promoted from the practice squad.

Dee Ford looks to be the only player not available Sunday night.

San Francisco 49ers Practice Report (from Tuesday)

Did Not Participate In Practice
DE Dee Ford (quadricep, hamstring)

Limited Participation in Practice
LB Azeez Al-Shaair (knee), G Mike Person (neck), WR Deebo Samuel (shoulder), S Jaquiski Tartt (ribs)

Full Participation in Practice
CB Tarvarius Moore (concussion), DT Jullian Taylor (elbow)

Good to see Taylor back.  They need the D-line depth.
:wall:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/132513-d-lineman-jullian-taylor-suffers-injury-thursdays-practice-undergoing/

The San Francisco 49ers were hoping to get Jullian Taylor back to help boost the injury-depleted depth along the defensive line. That may not happen now.

The defensive tackle showed up on Thursday's practice participation report with a new injury listed in addition to the elbow injury suffered during Week 13.

Apparently, Taylor suffered a knee injury during Thursday's practice, according to Matt Barrows of The Athletic. And the injury is significant enough that the defensive lineman is undergoing an MRI to determine the extent of the damage.

Barrows also reports that the 49ers are calling free agent defensive linemen who might be able to sign and contribute.

I’ve been cautiously optimistic all year. I’m all in now!! Let’s go Niners!!! I bought a Bosa jersey, one for each of my kids. Letting them both stay up as late as they can make it.

I promised my older son (7) that we’d go to Miami for the Super Bowl if they make it there. Let’s get vengeance from the Harbaugh Bowl!

It starts tonight! A Super Bowl Champion goes into Seattle and wins SNF for the top seed, period! Need that awesome defensive front to come out and dominate, establish the run early, get Kittle going early to free up Sanders, maybe Samuel and wear them down. 

I’m fired up and dusting off my favorite line from earlier in the decade, a forgotten Harbaugh gem; WHO’S GOT IT BETTER THAN US?

####### awesome!!!

I can’t think of a more satisfying way to get clinch the 1 seed than stopping Wilson and the Seahawks on the 1 yard line...

Really prefer to see the Vikings or Eagles than Wilson again. 
 One inch line! 

Not quite as awesome as the Dan Bunz tackle in the SB but that was a heckuva stop by Dre Greenlaw.

#57 for both, pretty cool stuff.

#### yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Better team won. Not always the case when playing the Hawks. Winning the game by an inch that we always lose when Wilson does his thing makes it that much sweeter. 

I'm gonna have a heart attack before this season's over... that's 5 games in a row decided in the final minutes.
This is why avoiding Wilson is so important in 2 weeks.

They’re gonna have to win nail biters in the NFCC & SB against any of the following in back to back games Brees/Rodgers/Jackson/Mahomes/Brady (lol). While doable, super tough... Add Wilson in for a 3rd game and it feels like murderer’s row. Need a tune up game against Cousins or Wentz to be ready for that, not a nail biter against Wilson. No disrespect to Cousins or Wentz, but they aren’t Wilson/Brees/Rodgers/Jackson/Mahomes at this juncture. 

They desperately need Ford back. The fact that this defense couldn’t get a stop to save their lives in the fourth quarter is a problem. 

They desperately need Ford back. The fact that this defense couldn’t get a stop to save their lives in the fourth quarter is a problem. 
Agree on needing Ford and the defense was pretty bad in the 2nd half, can’t argue that. They did make the play when it was all on the line though, tough to ask for more.

In a big game like this, you know Wilson isn’t going quietly. I’m as scared of him as any QB in the game, he’s so good and so dangerous. I wanted them to go for it on 4th & 1 on their own 30 with like 3 minutes to play, it felt like putting the ball in Wilson’s hands was going to be fatal, didn’t matter if it was a short field or long field, so might as well go since he wasn’t going to be stopped. After they punted it away, my son asks if they’re going to lose, I told him they’re season was over, and I really felt like that too.

Missing that 2 point conversion was so big to me in the moment, I knew it would come back to be a huge factor. While their play in the 2nd half was of concern, I can attribute some of that to Wilson being Wilson.

Agree on needing Ford and the defense was pretty bad in the 2nd half, can’t argue that. They did make the play when it was all on the line though, tough to ask for more.

In a big game like this, you know Wilson isn’t going quietly. I’m as scared of him as any QB in the game, he’s so good and so dangerous. I wanted them to go for it on 4th & 1 on their own 30 with like 3 minutes to play, it felt like putting the ball in Wilson’s hands was going to be fatal, didn’t matter if it was a short field or long field, so might as well go since he wasn’t going to be stopped. After they punted it away, my son asks if they’re going to lose, I told him they’re season was over, and I really felt like that too.

Missing that 2 point conversion was so big to me in the moment, I knew it would come back to be a huge factor. While their play in the 2nd half was of concern, I can attribute some of that to Wilson being Wilson.
Yeah, I agree with all that. Wilson scares me more than any Niners opponent’s QB since Favre. But still, he’s out there playing with a third string RB, a bad and injures offensive line, and a rookie primary WR and the Niners still didn’t look like they had a prayer against him in the second half. At least Seattle had even less of a chance holding the Niners offense. 

I thought 100% when we gave Wilson the ball with 2+ minutes left it was over. Had zero doubt(see my posts in the game thread). I cant believe we were  finally on the good side of a last second call of inches.

Had we lost tonight, I would have predicted a playoff exit. With a bye week and HFA, I think we can win it all.

I for one am rooting for Kansas City to win the AFC. I do NOT want to face Baltimore again.

Just wow!

An extra week off is huge. Tartt back and hopefully Ford too. Give everyone a chance to heal up.  

Glad to see Salah dial up some blitz’s at the end of the game.  Just not getting there with 4 right now.  

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/132709-shanahan-theres-definitely-going-chance-alexander-returns-playoff/

Kyle Shanahan: ‘There’s definitely going to be a chance’ Kwon Alexander returns if 49ers win first playoff game.

Don't expect to see linebacker Kwon Alexander back on the field with his San Francisco 49ers teammates for their first playoff game on Saturday, January 11.

After that? Maybe.

That's the impression head coach Kyle Shanahan gave during a conference call with reporters on Monday.

Alexander has said he believes there's a "high chance" he could return for the playoffs after suffering a torn pectoral muscle during Week 9 against the Arizona Cardinals. At the time, it seemed season-ending, and fans wouldn't see the star linebacker again until next season.

Alexander is eligible to come off of injured reserve, though, and the 49ers can bring back one more player from the designation. Should San Francisco win its first playoff game, there is a chance the linebacker could return.

"He's coming along," Shanahan said of Alexander's recovery. "There's definitely going to be a chance. I don't think that will be this week, but if we're fortunate enough to win our first game, I think he could have a chance after that.

"We're still holding out hope for that, but we'll see how it goes over these next couple of weeks."

Alexander finished the regular season with 34 combined tackles, 0.5 sacks, four passes defensed, an interception, and a forced fumble through eight starts. He was seen as one of the defense's best players before his injury. If healthy, a return could be a significant boost for the 49ers.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/132709-shanahan-theres-definitely-going-chance-alexander-returns-playoff/

Kyle Shanahan: ‘There’s definitely going to be a chance’ Kwon Alexander returns if 49ers win first playoff game.

Don't expect to see linebacker Kwon Alexander back on the field with his San Francisco 49ers teammates for their first playoff game on Saturday, January 11.

After that? Maybe.

That's the impression head coach Kyle Shanahan gave during a conference call with reporters on Monday.

Alexander has said he believes there's a "high chance" he could return for the playoffs after suffering a torn pectoral muscle during Week 9 against the Arizona Cardinals. At the time, it seemed season-ending, and fans wouldn't see the star linebacker again until next season.

Alexander is eligible to come off of injured reserve, though, and the 49ers can bring back one more player from the designation. Should San Francisco win its first playoff game, there is a chance the linebacker could return.

"He's coming along," Shanahan said of Alexander's recovery. "There's definitely going to be a chance. I don't think that will be this week, but if we're fortunate enough to win our first game, I think he could have a chance after that.

"We're still holding out hope for that, but we'll see how it goes over these next couple of weeks."

Alexander finished the regular season with 34 combined tackles, 0.5 sacks, four passes defensed, an interception, and a forced fumble through eight starts. He was seen as one of the defense's best players before his injury. If healthy, a return could be a significant boost for the 49ers.
Would be awesome even in a part time role to get Alexander back.  

I assume if Tartt is practicing, he will be ready in two weeks, but Shanahan made it sound like it wasn't 100 percent.  They really need him.  

Hope they start Mosely too.  Not giving up on Witherspoon, but Mosely is just playing better right now.

Obviously, Philly would be preferred opponent over Seattle but Seattle would be more fun to play.  Kind of torn there.

Straight BEAST.

49ers’ George Kittle earns Pro Football Focus’ highest-ever grade by a tight end

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/132715-49ers-george-kittle-earns-football-focus-highest-ever-grade/

That George Kittle guy is pretty good at football.

The San Francisco 49ers tight end finished the 2019 season with an overall Pro Football Focus grade of 95.0. That wasn't just the best overall grade by a single player this season, it shattered the all-time highest grade by a tight end during the Pro Football Focus era. Rob Gronkowski's 92.0 grade in 2011 used to be the highest mark.

The analytics site has been tracking data since 2006.

Kittle finished the season with 85 catches for 1,053 yards with five touchdowns. It was his second consecutive season of 1,000-or-more receiving yards, and he became the fifth player and first tight end in franchise history to record multiple 1,000-yard seasons. The others were all wide receivers.

"That's awesome," Kittle responded when informed he had crossed the 1,000-yard milestone for the second time during his career. "Definitely a goal you've got to get, and luckily I have a team and a quarterback throwing the ball that can get the job done."

Kittle, a third-year player, was recently voted to his second Pro Bowl. He recorded seven receptions for 86 yards during San Francisco's Week 17 road victory over the Seahawks, helping the 49ers win in Seattle for the first time since 2011.

Kittle also led all skill players in receiving yards per pass route run, and all TEs in yards after the catch and missed tackles forced.

Most 1,000-yard Seasons in 49ers History

1     Jerry Rice     12
2     Terrell Owens     5
3T   George Kittle, Anquan Boldin , John Taylor     2

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/amp/Now-hear-this-49ers-Jimmy-Garoppolo-was-at-14940711.php

The louder it gets, the better Jimmy Garoppolo likes it.

On Sunday, three weeks after he was brilliant in a 48-46 win in the bedlam of the Superdome, the 49ers quarterback got it done in another din.

Garoppolo completed 18 of 22 passes for 285 yards to help lead the 49ers to a 26-21 win at ear-splitting CenturyLink Field in a mammoth game that allowed the 49ers to win the NFC West title and earn the No. 1 seed in the NFC playoffs.

Head coach Kyle Shanahan was asked whether Sunday night’s game was as “locked in” as Garoppolo had been this season.

“I don’t know,” Shanahan said. “I probably think New Orleans was. I’d say this was a close second. I’d take either one.”

Garoppolo has yet to start a playoff game, but his performances in high-stakes games in New Orleans and Seattle suggest he’s equipped to handle the pressure.

His combined numbers from those games: 44 of 57 for 634 yards with four touchdowns, one interception and a 128.84 passer rating.

Against the Saints, he matched his career high with four touchdown passes — and lost his voice in the days after the game after screaming play calls, according to left tackle Joe Staley. Against the Seahawks, he matched his career-best completion percentage of 81.8.

On Sunday, he completed his first nine passes (for 120 yards) as the 49ers took a 13-0 lead. In the second half, when the Seahawks scored touchdowns on their first two drives to make it a one-score game, Garoppolo responded by directing two touchdown marches in which he completed 4 of 4 passes for 110 yards.

Garoppolo completed 7 of 7 passes for 129 yards in the second half.

“It was what he has been kind of doing all year,” Shanahan said. “He responded and the whole offense did.”

Indeed, Garoppolo headlined an offense that tied the 1998 team for the second most points in franchise history (479).

The 49ers entered the season as a long-running offensive embarrassment. They were one of three teams — with the Titans and Dolphins — that hadn’t ranked in the NFL’s top 10 in points or yards per game since 2003.

This season, they finished second in points and fourth in yards as Garoppolo had one of the best statistical seasons by a quarterback in franchise history: He now ranks fourth all-time in single-season passing yards (3,978) and completions (329) and third in completion percentage (69.1).

In addition, Garoppolo’s passer rating (102.0), which ranks seventh in franchise history, was the highest by a 49ers quarterback since Steve Young in 1997 (104.7).

Still, Garoppolo thinks there’s room for improvement in January, based on his response to a reporter who asked whether Sunday was his best game of the season.

“I think I have some room for improvement,” Garoppolo said. “… Some throws — I missed (wideout) Emmanuel (Sanders) on a pretty easy one. Missed a couple early, but for the most part I thought our offense played great tonight.”

After he missed 13 games with a torn ACL in 2018, Garoppolo is a contender for the NFL Comeback Player of the Year award.

And he’s no longer contending with questions about his durability that arose because he’d suffered two significant injuries — the other to his throwing shoulder when he was with the Patriots in 2016 — in his first 10 career starts.

Would be awesome even in a part time role to get Alexander back.  

I assume if Tartt is practicing, he will be ready in two weeks, but Shanahan made it sound like it wasn't 100 percent.  They really need him.  

Hope they start Mosely too.  Not giving up on Witherspoon, but Mosely is just playing better right now.

Obviously, Philly would be preferred opponent over Seattle but Seattle would be more fun to play.  Kind of torn there.
I don’t fear the Seahawks at home at this point, but I’d still prefer the Eagles or Vikings. The Seahawks obviously just match up better than their healthy talent level would suggest. 

Hello Earl Mitchell and Jonathan Kongbo, See ya Givens and Zettel?

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/12/31/21044682/49ers-free-agency-earl-mitchell

Report: 49ers to sign DT Earl Mitchell; add two other players on defensive line

Welcome back, Earl. The 49ers have also added Jonathan Kongbo and Ray Smith

Jonathan Kongbo has announced that the 49ers have signed him as well. The 23-year old defensive end spent time in the CFL in 2019. He’s undersized, as he’s listed at 256 pounds.

I’d expect Anthony Zettel and Kevin Givens to be released. We’ll know soon enough.

Per The Athletic’s Matt Barrows, the 49ers are signing nose tackle Earl Mitchell to help bolster the interior of their defensive line. Mitchell last played with the 49ers in 2018, where he played 363 snaps. PFF graded him out as a 63.7 in 2018. You’re not bringing back Mitchell to rush the passer; you’re bringing him back to ensure your run defense improves. That’s something Mitchell has done at a high level his entire career.

The decision to sign Mitchell likely comes to give Sheldon Day and DeForest Buckner a breather. Looking at the snap counts from Sunday’s game, Solomon Thomas played 30, and Anthony Zettel played 29. Dee Ford could replace Zettel’s snaps, while Mitchell can cut into both Day and Thomas’s snaps to help keep both fresh. Thomas hasn’t been effective all season. Mitchell has the experience and won’t make a mistake in a critical situation that a younger player may make.

It’s been a tough year for injuries along the defensive line. The 49ers have lost Ronald Blair, Damontre Moore, D.J. Jones, and Jullian Taylor for the season. That’s tons of experience. Signing the 32-year old Mitchell who is familiar with the 49ers probably says more about the younger guys like Kevin Givens than it does anything else.

The San Francisco 49ers today announced they have signed DL Ray Smith to the team’s practice squad. Smith (6-1, 302) originally signed with the Detroit Lions as a rookie free agent on May 10, 2019. He was waived by the Lions on August 31, signed to Detroit’s practice squad the following day and later released on October 1

Going into the season, I thought there were a lot of similarities to the start of 1981:

-Offensive minded head coach going into his 3rd year who had taken over a bottom 2 team

-Two poor record seasons but team tending in the right direction both talent and culture wise

-Drafted impact rookie on defense. Lott was taken in 1981

-Pre Season hope for most fans of winning 9-10 games and maybe sneaking into a wildcard spot. 

2019 regular season record of 13-3 ends of matching the 1981 record and also get home field throughout the playoffs.  Much more than expected.  

Here’s to continuing 1981 trends! 🍻

congrats SF Fans! nice to see them back atop the NFC!!! I respect the team, I'm a Giants fan who watched all the great battles with LT, Montana, Craig's fumble in the Championship game, Simms, Ronny Lott.

good to see SF have a very similar team, killer offense, aggrssive coaching, studly defense.

go get 'em!

John Averageman has thrown 12 TDs in 8 games as a starter in  a 49ers uni. avg'd about 63% comp, 275 yards/g,m, and 1 INT per game. exactly what am I missing here? I just don't see it with the Niners . I'm not drinking the kool-aid. They're a bad, really bad team, without much talent at the skill positions save for Kittle, and a pretty terrible coaching staff that has one of the worst records in the NFL over the past two seasons. I don't see SF magically turning this carpet ride around and making it work. 

There's nothing more than potential bye-week fillers and desperation plays on this team, but nothing you'd stick your nect out to draft and have that person be a building block of your fantasy team. I can't imagine any of these players , outside of Kittle, being selected anywhere but the rounds close to the kickers - i.e., 2nd to last, last, and waiver wire fodder.

by Halloween they'll be calling for John Averageman to be benched. He's not a good starting QB.

congrats SF Fans! nice to see them back atop the NFC!!! I respect the team, I'm a Giants fan who watched all the great battles with LT, Montana, Craig's fumble in the Championship game, Simms, Ronny Lott.

good to see SF have a...killer offense, aggrssive coaching, studly defense.

go get 'em!
Classic flip flop. Drinking that kool-aid now, arent ya? :lmao:

Sorry to say but our defense is pretty overrated right now. With Tartt and Ford out, I feel like they're average at best. The secondary hasn't had a takeaway the entire 2nd half of the season. Armstead hasn't been able to take advantage of teams doubling Bosa. I kind of chuckle when analysts say how the niners win w/ defense and Garp is the weak link. Garp has been $$$ on third downs... in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the league's leaders in YPA on 3rd down.

I get the quality of opponent and injuries have a lot to do with it, but people waiting for the niners to return to their form from the 1st half of the season shouldn't hold their breath. I'm expecting the cardiac kids to continue making sweaty palms all postseason.

Sorry to say but our defense is pretty overrated right now. With Tartt and Ford out, I feel like they're average at best. The secondary hasn't had a takeaway the entire 2nd half of the season. Armstead hasn't been able to take advantage of teams doubling Bosa. I kind of chuckle when analysts say how the niners win w/ defense and Garp is the weak link. Garp has been $$$ on third downs... in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the league's leaders in YPA on 3rd down.

I get the quality of opponent and injuries have a lot to do with it, but people waiting for the niners to return to their form from the 1st half of the season shouldn't hold their breath. I'm expecting the cardiac kids to continue making sweaty palms all postseason.h
Yeah but Tartt and Ford should be back next week, and with the Earl Mitchell signing, the guys up front will get a bit of a break in snap counts to keep them a bit more fresh. I hope Moseley gets the start over Witherspoon next game, Ahkello just isn't playing very well lately.

I don't think the defense will get back to dominance like in the first half of the season, but I do see them getting to the QB more and getting some turnovers in the postseason. I'm not worried about the offense at all.

Kwon Alexander may be ready for 49ers’ first playoff game, per report

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/132875-kwon-alexander-ready-49ers-first-playoff-game-report/

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Kwon Alexander wasn't expected to return to the football field until after the team's first playoff game — if at all. Now, it would seem that the linebacker may be on track to pull a J.J. Watt-type return of his own.

Alexander, who suffered a torn pectoral muscle on October 31, 2019, is poised to return for the 49ers' first playoff game on Saturday, January 11, when the team hosts the lowest-seeded team to emerge from today's playoff games, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Sources: 49ers’ LB LB Kwon Alexander is pulling his own J.J. Watt and is on track to play in Saturday in divisional round.

"Watt knew and spoke about the risk of reinjury, and Alexander is aware of the same risk," wrote Schefter. "But, like Watt, he believes the risk is worth it."

Much to the surprise of reporters, Alexander returned to practice this past week, following the 49ers' Week 17 victory over the Seattle Seahawks. San Francisco announced that it had opened the practice window for the linebacker, which means his roster activation might not be far ahead.

"I'm just happy to be back out there," Alexander told reporters on Thursday. "It was fun to be back. Just trying to get ready (to play)."

Alexander, who spent his first four NFL seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers before signing with the 49ers on March 11, 2019, finished the regular season with 34 combined tackles, 0.5 sacks, four passes defensed, an interception, and a forced fumble through eight starts before the injury.

"In my mindset, I've always been legendary," Alexander continued. "Just keep my mindset correct, don't put myself down. A lot of times, you go through those things and those injuries, and it's a hard time. I just stayed up. My teammates, they've been lifting me up. I'm just ready to get back, honestly."

Bring on the Vikings!
Best outcome we could've hoped for from just a preparation standpoint for potential 49er opponents. Having already played 3 teams in the playoff field, this basically eliminates the niners from having to play 2 of them. I think the shanahan scheme is complex and difficult to prepare for so was hoping to avoid as many rematches as possible.

Sorry to say but our defense is pretty overrated right now. With Tartt and Ford out, I feel like they're average at best. The secondary hasn't had a takeaway the entire 2nd half of the season. Armstead hasn't been able to take advantage of teams doubling Bosa. I kind of chuckle when analysts say how the niners win w/ defense and Garp is the weak link.
I don’t think anyone has been saying that for awhile now. 

My first thought is positive; Vikings were a six seed and didn’t look particularly impressive in the second half. But then again, anyone who can go into NO and win a playoff game is certainly capable of doing so at Levi’s. 

it would still be fantastic if Seattle lost so as to avoid the possibility of playing them in the NFCCG. 

Not on this forum, but the national media still thinks of the niners as a D first, Garp game manager kinda team.
The national media I’ve seen and listened to has been noting the defense is a shell of what it was early in the season. I don’t really even read this forum outside this thread. 

My first thought is positive; Vikings were a six seed and didn’t look particularly impressive in the second half. But then again, anyone who can go into NO and win a playoff game is certainly capable of doing so at Levi’s. 

it would still be fantastic if Seattle lost so as to avoid the possibility of playing them in the NFCCG. 
Wholly agree with this... Divisional opponents always seem to level the playing field regardless of the matchup on paper. Not to mention they don't really need to spend much time game planning for the niners.

Wholly agree with this... Divisional opponents always seem to level the playing field regardless of the matchup on paper. Not to mention they don't really need to spend much time game planning for the niners.
Yeah. And I really think it is plausible that Seattle could win today and at GB. 

The national media I’ve seen and listened to has been noting the defense is a shell of what it was early in the season. I don’t really even read this forum outside this thread. 
We're watching different shows then... on paper I think a lot of analysts glance at their overall D ranking and make assumptions accordingly. These are the same ones that kept touting the Patriots #1 ranked defense.

Users who are viewing this thread