What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 San Francisco 49ers thread *** NEW 2020 THREAD LINK INSIDE (1 Viewer)

Packers were built to rush the passer, not to stop the run.  49ers took advantage of that  and did so to great effect.  Good coaching.  I don't think the game plan necessarily reflected any lack of faith in Garappolo.  I mean how has Kittle and Samuels managed such good stats unless Garappolo is capable?  I presume the game plan against the Chiefs will have some different wrinkles.

I do wonder if the "eye-candy" running game with all of the distracting motion will get figured out and will falter after a time as most new look offenses do.  I don't think it will be in two weeks.  I also note that in addition to the distracting eye-candy motion that they get outstanding blocking from Kittle and Samuels so their running game is based upon more than smoke and mirrors, it is based on solid team blocking and that tends to last..

I also note that in addition to the distracting eye-candy motion that they get outstanding blocking from Kittle and Samuels so their running game is based upon more than smoke and mirrors, it is based on solid team blocking and that tends to last..
Not to mention Deebo is proving to be a legitimate running threat capable of taking it to the house - which is one more wrinkle for the defense to worry about. 

I do wonder if the "eye-candy" running game with all of the distracting motion will get figured out and will falter after a time as most new look offenses do.  I don't think it will be in two weeks.  I also note that in addition to the distracting eye-candy motion that they get outstanding blocking from Kittle and Samuels so their running game is based upon more than smoke and mirrors, it is based on solid team blocking and that tends to last..
A lot of the value in the "eye-candy" comes from them having Kittle, Juice and Deebo being able to also run/catch a pass out of those same formations. That's thing that makes it very unique which requires a "very particular set of skills." You key on the run and the FB fakes a block and takes off down the field. When they are on in the running game it's almost unfair because they have essentially 7 linemen with Kittle/Juice and WR's who excel at blocking. Distractions or not they can just lineup and block. As you said that tends to last. Add in the uncertainty of if they are running in the first place and it can be a very difficult offense to "figure out." 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucky86 said:
What’s the deal with Richard Sherman blocking people on Twitter?
Just guessing here but I'd imagine he's blocking people who are talking shiz to him. That's the beauty of Twitter, if you don't like what someone says you can 86 them. If that's the case, I don't blame him, why would anyone wanna see hate in their feed?

Been 6 years since last super bowl for 49ers.  Forgot how tedious this week is.  When 49ers aren't playing, I guess I don't really think about it.

Booked a vacation to a Caribbean island to watch the game at a resort on the beach or at a pool bar. Figure this will create just as good a memory while taking the money that would've been used on tickets much further. A 4 and 7 year old at the Super Bowl sounds horrible... 

Go Niners!!!!! Watching this one from a beach.

Mahomes hasnt faced a defense this good since hes been in the league. Rodgers saw it twice this year and still couldnt figure it out. Granted, Rodgers doesnt have the weapons Mahomes has, and he isnt mobile as he used to be, but he said he was surprised at how fast they are in person vs on film.

Sunday cant get here fast enough!!!

Mahomes hasnt faced a defense this good since hes been in the league. Rodgers saw it twice this year and still couldnt figure it out. Granted, Rodgers doesnt have the weapons Mahomes has, and he isnt mobile as he used to be, but he said he was surprised at how fast they are in person vs on film.

Sunday cant get here fast enough!!!
I think the Niners D is being overrated this week. I also think that people are wrongly assuming that Mahomes is going to continue to be historically awesome and unstoppable against a defense that is still much better than the last couple he’s faced. I’m very conflicted about this game. 

I think the Niners D is being overrated this week. I also think that people are wrongly assuming that Mahomes is going to continue to be historically awesome and unstoppable against a defense that is still much better than the last couple he’s faced. I’m very conflicted about this game. 
What do you mean? How can the #1 defense be overrated?

What do you mean? How can the #1 defense be overrated?
Well, i think they were 2nd. But people are citing the Seahawks, Broncos, Ravens, etc, as comps for how an elite defense does in the super bowl, and the Niners just are not on that level. Mina Kimes had an interview today with Warren Sharp, and Sharp did a good job of quantifying that. For example he noted that the Niners pass rush is actually below average on first and second downs, and is susceptible to getting worn down. Sharp still liked the Niners in the game, but it was kind of a sobering discussion re the defense. 

Well, i think they were 2nd. But people are citing the Seahawks, Broncos, Ravens, etc, as comps for how an elite defense does in the super bowl, and the Niners just are not on that level. Mina Kimes had an interview today with Warren Sharp, and Sharp did a good job of quantifying that. For example he noted that the Niners pass rush is actually below average on first and second downs, and is susceptible to getting worn down. Sharp still liked the Niners in the game, but it was kind of a sobering discussion re the defense. 
Meh. I've never heard of either of them so I don't care about what they have to say. Our pass rush suffered and got worn down when Jones got hurt and Ford was out and the D-linemen were playing 80%+ of snaps and werent able to rotate in and out. Now they have enough  bodies to keep everyone fresh. The defense is top 3 or 4 in almost every main category. I don't care much about 1st and 2nd down, as 3rd down is the money down for this defense, and they're one of the best at forcing 4th downs/3 and outs. I'm not worried about the pass rush one bit.

I'm actually most worried about Sherman, I think Mahomes will test him and he will either get beat deep or commit a DPI that will keep a drive alive for KC. 

A player to watch on defense IMO is K'Waun Williams. I predict he will make at least one huge play Sunday, either an INT or a huge sack on a corner blitz. I think he's one of the key players in this game defending the slot and he will make a big impact.

:rolleyes: stats are stats
Cherry picking stats is the oldest trick in the book. I watched every down of every 49er game this year (except for the first drive vs the Ravens), and no so called "experts" are gonna convince me that our defense is all of a sudden gonna wear down in the super bowl.

Enjoy the game, man. 

Enjoy the game, man. 
I don't think that's possible for some 49er fans  lol

Have a fairly large Super Bowl Party every year.  Kind of my thing.  But this year, a much smaller gathering.  Real football fans only.  Can't tolerate stupid comments from people that know little or nothing about football when my team is playing.  Fine when the Patriots and Eagles are playing 😎

David Lombardi @LombardiHimself via Twitter

Per Warren Sharp, Jimmy Garoppolo is the NFL’s No. 1 QB against both Cover-3 on early downs and Cover-1 on third-and-manageable.

Those are Kansas City’s preferred alignments in both of those situations.

:boxing:

Next Gen Stats @NextGenStats via Twitter

The key to Dee Ford's success as a pass rusher? Ford wins with elite first step quickness, as measured by "pass rush get-off", which represents the time it takes for a pass rusher to cross the line of scrimmage after the snap.

PASS RUSH GET OFF: 2019 edge rushers, min 150 pass rushes

Brian Burns  0.75 seconds
Benson Mayoya  0.76 seconds
Dee Ford   0.77 seconds

I don't think that's possible for some 49er fans  lol

Have a fairly large Super Bowl Party every year.  Kind of my thing.  But this year, a much smaller gathering.  Real football fans only.  Can't tolerate stupid comments from people that know little or nothing about football when my team is playing.  Fine when the Patriots and Eagles are playing 😎
I was invited to 2 SB parties but Im staying home and didnt invite anyone over. I dont wanna be around a bunch of people if things dont go well, and Ive watched every game at home except for one that I watched while on the road (vs Baltimore), so I cant switch it up now, it might be bad juju.

Superstitions are real, yo.

David Lombardi @LombardiHimself via Twitter

Per Warren Sharp, Jimmy Garoppolo is the NFL’s No. 1 QB against both Cover-3 on early downs and Cover-1 on third-and-manageable.

Those are Kansas City’s preferred alignments in both of those situations.

:boxing:
Wait, but Sharp is a “so-called expert” and we shouldn’t listen to him. 

Wait, but Sharp is a “so-called expert” and we shouldn’t listen to him. 
Well, stats are stats, and as long as an opinion isnt attached, Im willing to look so I can cherry pick the ones I like.

With Ford, Bosa, Armstead and Buckner on the field, the 49ers generate pressure on 44% of their rushes despite blitzing 15% of the time.

They've only had that combination on the field for 142 snaps this season.

They'll have it all day Sunday.

Those that don’t have an Athletic subscription should consider it. They are killing it the last couple weeks with Niners coverage. Great article on Laken Tomlinson in particular. 

With Ford, Bosa, Armstead and Buckner on the field, the 49ers generate pressure on 44% of their rushes despite blitzing 15% of the time.

Funny thing is that I have watched LESS coverage this year despite my team being involved.  Guess because I have watched all 18 games start to finish, I'm not looking for much insight from the talking heads.  Plus, Impeachment, Coronaviris and Kobe getting killed have taken some of my focus away from the game.  Lot of stuff going on right now.

Chiefs are a good team, but I think Niners win by double digits.  I have to laugh at those who predict KC will win big.  It could happen of course, but SF lost 3 games all year by a total of 8 points (excluding the meaningless TD against Atlanta when the laterals started flying on the last play).  Seems unlikely they get beat big.

Just curious, against which opponents did they have that combination for 142 snaps? Were they generating that pressure simply because it's an elite group or a below average opponent or a combination of both? 

TwinTurbo said:
Just curious, against which opponents did they have that combination for 142 snaps? Were they generating that pressure simply because it's an elite group or a below average opponent or a combination of both? 
I don't want too be arrogant, but when those 4 are on the field together, I don't think there is an O-Line out there capable of slowing them down... Just too much talent! 

I wonder how much work Breida will get Sunday, since hes been an afterthought since week 10. Heres a look at carries per game (including playoffs) for Breida. Coleman, and Mostert. Its an interesting split.

In weeks 1-10 (9 games) Breida averaged 12 carries/game.

In weeks 1-12 (9 games), Coleman averaged 12 carries/game.

In weeks 1-12 (10 games) Mostert averaged 6.6 carries/game.

In weeks 14-19, Breida averaged 3.8 carries/game (he missed weeks 11-13 due to injury)

In weeks 13-17, Coleman averaged 4.4 carries/game, then had 22 vs Minnesota in the divisional round, and then had 6 carries vs Green Bay before getting hurt.

In weeks 13-18, Mostert averaged 12.6 carries/game, and then had 29 carries vs Green Bay due to Colemans injury.

So Coleman and Breida carried most of the load the first half of the season, and Mostert started getting the lions share in week 13 and never looked back. I curious what the split will be come Sunday.

So Coleman and Breida carried most of the load the first half of the season, and Mostert started getting the lions share in week 13 and never looked back. I curious what the split will be come Sunday.
I think shanny's gonna do some creative stuff to get the ball to the RBs in the passing game... Because 1) we simply haven't seen much of it in the 2nd half of the season and 2) I remember seeing somewhere that the chiefs are pretty bad at giving up receiving yards to RBs.

ONE MORE WAKE UP!!!

Grilled some thick asssss T-bones and am enjoying some IPAs tonight...got a nice bunch of snacks for tomorrow - some cured meats, a few cheeses, shrimp, bleu cheese stuffed olives, buffalo chicken dip, deviled eggs, potato skins...

Heres hoping we have a lot to celebrate tomorrow. 

Cheers, and LETS GOOOOOO!!!!!!

No surprise, but no less awesome, Bosa wins AP defensive rookie of the year. 

BEAST.

Now go get you a SB MVP, smaller bear!

Looking for a few things tomorrow:

1) A rushing TD from Garp... not like a QB sneak, but a called QB draw or bootleg inside 5 yds. I think there's a bit of unfinished business here from last yr's ACL injury that deserves some retribution.

2) Big game from Sanders. Very quiet for the past several wks... Every time Garp's had a big game so has Sanders. Expecting this trend to continue w/ 7 rec 100+ yds and a TD.

3) A receiving TD to one of the RBs. Hardly seen any passes to the backs in recent wks... that'll change tomorrow.

4) Hope Dee Ford brings it... a bit of a revenge game for him...

5) Blitzes up the middle. Saw a lot of this used against Wilson in the seattle games.

6) Matheiu will get give up a big play. He's an intuitive player that no doubt has studied the niners' tendencies and will try to guess the play. Expect Shanny to anticipate this and dial something up specifically to make him guess wrong. 

I actually rewatched last yr's chiefs game and it was sobering to be reminded of how overmatched the niners were in the first half. However that was a different team with no fewer than 7 different starters on both sides of the ball, and who knows what might've happened had Garp not gotten injured... I mean they were just spanked by the Vikings 2 wks prior to that, and look what happened to the Vikings this yr.

Harbaugh getting coach of the year over Shanahan is a joke. 
No lie

I don’t generally care about individual awards but what Shanahan accomplished with this team is deserving of coach of the year.  From 4-12 to 13-3 and top seed in the NFC..  Nothing against Harbaugh, but Ravens were already a playoff team. Vote wasn’t even close either.  A little east coast bias coming into play here.  

No lie

I don’t generally care about individual awards but what Shanahan accomplished with this team is deserving of coach of the year.  From 4-12 to 13-3 and top seed in the NFC..  Nothing against Harbaugh, but Ravens were already a playoff team. Vote wasn’t even close either.  A little east coast bias coming into play here.  
I woulda understood it if they gave the comeback player of the year award to Garp... as that would be the given reason for the turnaround but nada.

I woulda understood it if they gave the comeback player of the year award to Garp... as that would be the given reason for the turnaround but nada.
What exactly did Tannehill come back from? The Bench?  Having Adam Gase as a coach? lol.

Its OK, we've been getting disrespected all year. Hopefully they shut all the haters up today once and for all.

Users who are viewing this thread