What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 San Francisco 49ers thread *** NEW 2020 THREAD LINK INSIDE (2 Viewers)

49ers just traded pick 104 to Cincy for pick 110 and two 6th round  picks (183 and 198).

So we get 2 extra picks by moving back 6 spots. I like it. They can now maneuver into the 5th with that extra ammo if they want.

Last edited by a moderator:
A punter?  

Had to double check to see if it was April 1st.  Jesus Christ.

Because the roster is so strong that a punter was the most pressing need.  Jesus H Christ!

Punter Mitch Wishnowsky, Punter, Utah.

3 time Ray Guy award finalist (2016-2018)

2018 2nd team AP All American selection

Hes Australian

Ok. But a punter? In the 4th? He better be the 2nd coming of Andy Lee.

Well, this was a great deal.  Still doesn't make up for taking a friggin punter in the high 4th round.....................
Right when they announced the Punter pick I wondered if they were working on a deal to move into the 5th.

Right when they announced the Punter pick I wondered if they were working on a deal to move into the 5th.
They have 3 6th round picks.  Perfect place to take a punter.  If he's gone, not a global killer.  I just don't get the thought process.  

I am really trying hard to get behind Lynch.  Likable guy, but maybe he just isn't edgy enough to just say "we are not taking a friggin punter here".  If he is the one making this decision on his own, then that's a huge problem.

They have 3 6th round picks.  Perfect place to take a punter.  If he's gone, not a global killer.  I just don't get the thought process.  

I am really trying hard to get behind Lynch.  Likable guy, but maybe he just isn't edgy enough to just say "we are not taking a friggin punter here".  If he is the one making this decision on his own, then that's a huge problem.
Well it seems Wishnowsky was the highest rated punter in the draft, and now they have a 5th round pick. I think at the least they shoulda/coulda used the 4th rounder on a OL/CB/S, and took the punter in the 5th.

But, whats done is done, I just hope this punter is a diff maker in the field position game.

Well it seems Wishnowsky was the highest rated punter in the draft, and now they have a 5th round pick. I think at the least they shoulda/coulda used the 4th rounder on a OL/CB/S, and took the punter in the 5th.

But, whats done is done, I just hope this punter is a diff maker in the field position game.
Yeah, I'm sure he's a good punter.  He better be.

I'm not usually over critical on draft day.  Kind of take the approach that they have a lot more information than me and know who fits in their system.

But picking a punter in the early 4th pisses me off.  Good teams don't waste draft capital like this, and I assume the teams goal is to be good.

Putting aside that they could have gotten a potentially productive player here, they probably could have traded this early 4th to someone for a 3rd next year.  Since they don't have their 2nd after the Ford trade, it would have been nice to bridge that gap.

Just friggin foolish

IF...and thats a big IF, he does for us what Michael Dickson has done for Seattle, we might look back on this pick and say "Ok, it was ill advised but at least it wasnt a wasted pick". Seattle took Dickson in the 5th last year.

Yeah, Im trying to be positive here.

IF...and thats a big IF, he does for us what Michael Dickson has done for Seattle, we might look back on this pick and say "Ok, it was ill advised but at least it wasnt a wasted pick". Seattle took Dickson in the 5th last year.

I would have had no issue with this pick in the 5th.  But early 4th?  No thanks.

Would have been a great 5th round pick.

and probably could have been, which is the problem I have with it. :doh:  

I'm having a hard time viewing this one with rose-colored glasses. 

The most optimistic take for getting a punter there is that picks past the 3rd round end up working so rarely that getting a solid starter (even if it is a punter) is worth more than a marginal roster guy or JAG starter. I am not up to snuff on college punters, but surely they could have got him later? 

The most optimistic take for getting a punter there is that picks past the 3rd round end up working so rarely that getting a solid starter (even if it is a punter) is worth more than a marginal roster guy or JAG starter. I am not up to snuff on college punters, but surely they could have got him later? 
That's the biggest complaint.  Could have gotten in the 5th.  If not, not like it's a killer.

I see your point though, if you were an optimist.  lol

Dre Greenlaw, LB, Arkansas

5'11". 237. 4 year starter at LB for Arkansas

Player Bio

Greenlaw was an all-state selection after his senior year with 119 tackles, four interceptions and 10 pass breakups. He earned All-Freshman accolades in 2015 by topping all SEC freshmen with 95 tackles (11 starts, 3.5 tackles for loss). Greenlaw missed six regular season games with a broken foot (42 tackles in seven starts) and then injured that foot again the team's bowl game. Healthy again in 2017, Greenlaw made 103 tackles, 1.5 for loss, for the Razorbacks as a 12-games starter at the Will linebacker spot. He again missed time with an injury (high ankle sprain) his senior year. Greenlaw was productive in the nine games (eight starts) that he played, however, posting 80 stops, 6.5 for loss, two sacks, and two interceptions.

Overview

Run and chase 4-3 WILL linebacker with the quickness to flow ahead of blocks to the football, but a lack of willful aggression to fire downhill and put his stamp on games. It will be difficult for Greenlaw to make a living with nothing more than clean-up tackles on his own side of the ball so he needs to turn that speed and athleticism into weapons of disruption. His speed and athleticism give him a chance to carve out a career as a special teams ace and nickel cover talent.

Sources tell us

"Good athlete. Former safety. He runs well, but I don't think he's tough enough to trust him in a game. He better be really good on special teams unless he finds more dog inside him." - NFC area scout

They are obviously standing pat with their defensive backfield, Id be surprised if they take a CB or Safety today. I can definitely see an OL pick coming though.

I'm fine with the first 4 picks, we got 4 players that should step in and contribute right away, although Hurd will be a work in progress. The rest are usually hit and miss anyway. 

They should have waited a round on the punter for sure but other than that I'm pumped for the season to start, and I will be at the week 1 game in Tampa, so I'll get to see Bosa in his first game. 

GOOOOO NINERS!!!!

Wingnut said:
I'm fine with the first 4 picks, we got 4 players that should step in and contribute right away, although Hurd will be a work in progress. The rest are usually hit and miss anyway. 

They should have waited a round on the punter for sure but other than that I'm pumped for the season to start, and I will be at the week 1 game in Tampa, so I'll get to see Bosa in his first game. 

GOOOOO NINERS!!!!
With a day to reflect, feeling better about the draft as a whole. Well, with the exception of a friggin punter in the 4th round. 😬

Kind of getting on board with the Hurd pick.  Adds a dimension they don’t currently have and the 49er WR Corp going into the draft was pretty bad. Doubling up not a bad strategy.  They have been defense heavy the last drafts and I think Kyle is getting tired of working with sub par talent at the WR position. If either Samuel or Hurd hits, big upgrade. If both hit, get your popcorn ready. As an aside, good to see T.O and the 49ers playing nice. 

Like the Kaden Smith selection. Lacks speed but as a #2 TE, can make contested catches and will help big time in the red zone.  Smith and Hurd add some needed size in close. Needs to get stronger to help with his blocking, but that can be developed. 

Tim Harris seems a nice lottery pick.  Lot of #####ing that they didn’t go secondary early, but a lot of draft capital spent the last two years there, so time to let Witherspoon, Moore and Reed show what they can do.  Plus, if Vernett stays healthy, CB all of a sudden looks pretty strong.  

Greenlaw is interesting and should contribute on special teams this year.  Skule, who knows, but could be a decent swing tackle if he drops some weight. 

The punter pick is tough to swallow.  So many other options.  The trade to pick up the 2 6ths was OK, but Gardner-Johnson was still on the board and I would have preferred they added him to the safety field.  Or they could have ended up with both Deonte Thompson and Mack Wilson with a small trade down.  Obviously both Thompson and Wilson were overhyped coming into draft, but still, would prefer them as prospects over a punter.  

Watching some highlights of Hurd as a RB at Tennessee.  Guy runs hard. Not gonna be an easy task for DBs to tackle him one on one. 

Getting excited about the offense if everyone manages to stay somewhat healthy. Niners were overhyped going into last year based on 2017 finish but they seem under the radar this year. Much better roster with Ford and Bosa added to the pass rush, Coleman in the backfield and Samuel/Hurd at WR. If Vernett manages to stay healthy, secondary will be much improved. 

And of course, a new punter 🙄

Uh oh.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/nfl-rumors-49ers-coach-kyle-shanahan-gm-john-lynch-arent-lock-step?fbclid=IwAR3fXVCQJPzH5aKwJ8bF0v-AveUoCu6vd74238YL__4f6VzIBP-lvyTENAk

NFL rumors: 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan, GM John Lynch 'aren't in lock step'

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynch are entering Year 3 of their six-year contracts with the 49ers. The 2019 season is a critical one for the duo, and it sounds like it is far from smooth sailing in San Francisco. 

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller reported Tuesday that there is friction between the 49ers coach and GM. Sources in the team's scouting and coaching staff told Miller that Shanahan and Lynch aren't seeing eye to eye with their vision during the offseason and how they see the future of the team. 

Shanahan and Lynch were hired eight days apart in early 2017, with Lynch appointed first as the team's newest GM on Jan. 29. But it was known for quite some time that Shanahan would be announced as the 49ers head coach after the Super Bowl, where he was still finishing his duties as the Falcons' offensive coordinator. 

The two come from different football backgrounds. Shanahan first started coaching as a graduate assistant at UCLA in 2003 and his father, Mike, coached for multiple college and NFL teams. Lynch is a former nine-time Pro Bowl safety who was hired after being an analyst with no scouting background.

Trust is key to any relationship, and Miller says it could be falling apart between Shanahan and Lynch. As Shanahan wants to focus solely on scheme and developing players, Miller notes the 49ers coach is being asked more and more about player evaluation and doesn't trust Lynch's decision-making. 

Through two seasons with Shanahan and Lynch at the helm, the 49ers have a 10-22 record. The third season could be a charm -- or it could be the downfall of this duo. 

Rumors generally don't mean much, but there has definitely been some strange draft decisions in the 3 years they have been together, starting with taking Soloman Thomas at #3 overall.  To me, Thomas seemed like a solid player being picked like an elite one.  After the trade down with the Bears, I expected another trade down in lieu of taking Thomas at 3.  Just seemed one of those situations where if someone else did covet him highly, losing him wasn't a huge deal.  In that same draft, trading a high 3rd round pick to the Saints for a 2nd the following year when Kamara was surprisingly still on the board made me shake my head too.  Even the casual fan who is willing and capable of reading a draft report could see he was a perfect fit for what Shanahan wanted to do.  I never held the Foster pick against them.  Thought it was a good gamble that didn't work out.  They made another stupid trade with Denver that year, trading a high 4th for Kapri Bibbs and a low 5th.  Moving down a round and a half for a journeyman RB made zero sense.

Taking a punter in the early 4th this year has been beaten to death, but hard for me to believe that this pick had consensus approval.  Just a lot of wasted draft capital for a team that can't afford to give it away.  If Lynch is the one making the final decisions, I could see how Shanahan doesn't trust his judgement.

A punter?  

Had to double check to see if it was April 1st.  Jesus Christ.

Because the roster is so strong that a punter was the most pressing need.  Jesus H Christ!

Punter Mitch Wishnowsky, Punter, Utah.

3 time Ray Guy award finalist (2016-2018)

2018 2nd team AP All American selection

Hes Australian

Ok. But a punter? In the 4th? He better be the 2nd coming of Andy Lee.

A punter? In round 4?! With this deep of a draft class?! 

....still better than the Giants 1st rounder, but...

:doh:  

Yeah, I'm sure he's a good punter.  He better be.

Honestly, WTF???
Don’t worry, if he’s bad they can replace him in a couple years when he retires. The punter they drafted is 27 years old.

Don’t worry, if he’s bad they can replace him in a couple years when he retires. The punter they drafted is 27 years old.
Honestly, not worried about the punters age.  He can kick 8-10 years safely and hard to look beyond that.

Drafting a punter early 4th was the issue.

Shanny calls the report complete bullshiz.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/125262-49ers-kyle-shanahan-calls-report-lynch-complete/

Of course that's what he's gonna say, but something does seem off. I mean  no way both Shanny AND Lynch would think taking a punter in the 4th is a good idea. 
Yeah, I read Miller isn't a big fan of Lynch, so take it for what it's worth.

Agree that it is hard to believe that this was a consensus pick where everyone was on the same page.  This is the type of situation where the GM needs to take charge and say, hell no.  Not sure if Lynch is edgy enough in his current position to do that.  Looks like he doesn't carry the intensity he had as a player over to his role as a GM.  In 2017, Lynch had Joe Williams off their board but let Kyle have his way.  Turned out Lynch was right.  Of course, had they just stayed put with their early 3rd and drafted Kamara, they wouldn't have needed to waste a 4th rounder on Williams.

There’s lots of issues with it. Age is still one of them.
Nope.  I hate the pick, but age isn't an issue.  

When the Browns drafted Weeden or the Eagles drafted that 27 year old guard a few years back, those were age issues.  A punter, no worries.  You get 10 years instead of 15.  Not a big deal.

When the Browns drafted Weeden or the Eagles drafted that 27 year old guard a few years back, those were age issues.  A punter, no worries.  You get 10 years instead of 15.  Not a big deal.
Assuming he’s an all pro. The 3 oldest punters in the NFL are 37. Of the 39 Punters currently in the NFL, the median age is 27.

Also good QBs play into their 30s as well.

Yeah, age of the punter is one of the dumber things I have seen people being worried about. If he turns out be as good as they hope he could punt for 10 + years.

As for Matt Miller's conjecture, he's turned into a pretty big hack. Claims to have sources with the Niners but never breaks any real news of importance. KS has had his hands all over the drafts/FA acquisitions and it's evident he wants to have a say. Lynch isn't the main personnel guys anyway. People think of him too much like a "normal GM." He really isn't. Peters manages the player evaluations / draft boards. Lynch is there to be the voice of the franchise and help Kyle's vision come to fruition. It's clear just about every offensive addition has been a KS pick. Silly report all around.

Yeah, age of the punter is one of the dumber things I have seen people being worried about. If he turns out be as good as they hope he could punt for 10 + years.

As for Matt Miller's conjecture, he's turned into a pretty big hack. Claims to have sources with the Niners but never breaks any real news of importance. KS has had his hands all over the drafts/FA acquisitions and it's evident he wants to have a say. Lynch isn't the main personnel guys anyway. People think of him too much like a "normal GM." He really isn't. Peters manages the player evaluations / draft boards. Lynch is there to be the voice of the franchise and help Kyle's vision come to fruition. It's clear just about every offensive addition has been a KS pick. Silly report all around.
I agree with most of this, but he had serious man love for Soloman Thomas.  After the trade with Chicago, pretty much everyone knew the Bears were taking Trubisky to give up that much draft capital to move up one spot, yet Lynch is in the 49er war room saying "they are probably taking Soloman" (paraphrase).  I was watching, hoping the Bears did, just so SF wouldn't take him over Adams and Lattimore.  I really thought they would trade down again.  Guess the value offered wasn't to the mythical "chart value".

Hope they give Thomas a full season playing inside.

I agree with most of this, but he had serious man love for Soloman Thomas.  After the trade with Chicago, pretty much everyone knew the Bears were taking Trubisky to give up that much draft capital to move up one spot, yet Lynch is in the 49er war room saying "they are probably taking Soloman" (paraphrase).  I was watching, hoping the Bears did, just so SF wouldn't take him over Adams and Lattimore.  I really thought they would trade down again.  Guess the value offered wasn't to the mythical "chart value".

Hope they give Thomas a full season playing inside.
As mediocre as Thomas has been (agree he needs to play mostly inside this year) he was pretty much ranked a top 3-5 player by a lot of people heading into that draft. Teams don't draft safeties at 3 overall. In the last 25+ years only two have gone top 5, both at 5, Eric Berry and Sean Taylor. As for Lattimore there was some concern at the time about hamstring issues IIRC. He fell outside of the top 10 and was great score for the Saints. Would I rather have either player today, absolutely, but I get why they drafted Thomas at 3. I doubt that was a Lynch only decision. Looking at drafts in hindsight is pretty worthless IMO anyway. Lynch gets crap for that pick but it was a group effort and a lame year to have the second (3rd) pick. There was one true stud and then the rest. It was supposed to be a "safe pick" at the time. Thomas also hasn't had the best situation thus far. He has been played out of position with poor coaching IMO then loses his sister to suicide heading into year 2. I think the book is still out on him. 

They have made a lot of moves that are easy to criticize, I do it all the time, but at the end of the day they built this roster from basically scratch.  It was a dumpster fire when they took over. If they can get better luck on the injury front and some of the DB's develop this year they have a shot to make the play-offs as a WC team. I like the overall direction the team is headed. The offense will be fun this year. The defense is going to come down to the DB group IMO and how well they take the next step. The potential is there.

ETA - they just signed that "old" punter btw to a 4 year deal. Things are looking up lol ;)

As mediocre as Thomas has been (agree he needs to play mostly inside this year) he was pretty much ranked a top 3-5 player by a lot of people heading into that draft. Teams don't draft safeties at 3 overall. In the last 25+ years only two have gone top 5, both at 5, Eric Berry and Sean Taylor. As for Lattimore there was some concern at the time about hamstring issues IIRC. He fell outside of the top 10 and was great score for the Saints. Would I rather have either player today, absolutely, but I get why they drafted Thomas at 3. I doubt that was a Lynch only decision. Looking at drafts in hindsight is pretty worthless IMO anyway. Lynch gets crap for that pick but it was a group effort and a lame year to have the second (3rd) pick. There was one true stud and then the rest. It was supposed to be a "safe pick" at the time. Thomas also hasn't had the best situation thus far. He has been played out of position with poor coaching IMO then loses his sister to suicide heading into year 2. I think the book is still out on him. 

They have made a lot of moves that are easy to criticize, I do it all the time, but at the end of the day they built this roster from basically scratch.  It was a dumpster fire when they took over. If they can get better luck on the injury front and some of the DB's develop this year they have a shot to make the play-offs as a WC team. I like the overall direction the team is headed. The offense will be fun this year. The defense is going to come down to the DB group IMO and how well they take the next step. The potential is there.

ETA - they just signed that "old" punter btw to a 4 year deal. Things are looking up lol ;)
Thomas wasn't an edge and wasn't a power inside guy, so drafting him at 3, even in a weak at the top draft class was a mistake. I was really hoping for another trade down.  Rumor (that word again) was Carolina offered 8 overall and their 2nd for 3 overall.  Not a great value typically, but in that draft, if true, one they should have taken.  

Agree that the offense will be fun to watch.  I think Kyle finally put his foot down about drafting some WRs.

Yeah, the "old" punter will be useless in about 10 years, so just another reason to hate the pick. 😎

Anthony Davis filed for reinstatement 

Guess he ran out of money.  My guess is SF wants no piece of him.................. 

Would like to see them take a chance on Eric Berry.  They have the money and If he stays healthy, a big upgrade over Tartt. If not, they don’t lose anything except some money. 

Berry would probably sign a one year, heavy incentive deal. Do it Lynch 

Yeah, I read Miller isn't a big fan of Lynch, so take it for what it's worth.

Agree that it is hard to believe that this was a consensus pick where everyone was on the same page.  This is the type of situation where the GM needs to take charge and say, hell no.  Not sure if Lynch is edgy enough in his current position to do that.  Looks like he doesn't carry the intensity he had as a player over to his role as a GM.  In 2017, Lynch had Joe Williams off their board but let Kyle have his way.  Turned out Lynch was right.  Of course, had they just stayed put with their early 3rd and drafted Kamara, they wouldn't have needed to waste a 4th rounder on Williams.
I don’t think Lynch is in a position to give Shanahan a hard no on anything. Shanahan basically hired Lynch, so the traditional power structure of the GM having the last word is flipped here. 

Kyle Shanahan, 49ers avoid appearing on HBO series, Hard Knocks, per report

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/125474-49ers-avoid-appearing-hbo-series-hard-knocks-report/

It looks like head coach Kyle Shanahan and the San Francisco 49ers got their wish. According to a report from NBC Sports Bay Area, the team is unlikely to be featured this year on "Hard Knocks," which is produced by NFL Films and HBO.

"But the 49ers will not be featured, multiple league sources have told NBC Sports Bay Area," wrote Matt Maiocco on Monday morning.

The 49ers, along with four other NFL teams, are eligible for the popular reality sports documentary series. NFL teams are exempt if they have a first-year head coach in place, made the playoffs in the past two seasons, or appeared on "Hard Knocks" in the past 10 years.

The most likely candidate is the Oakland Raiders, who landed Antonio Brown this offseason and hope to move to Las Vegas, Nevada next year. The other eligible teams are the Detroit Lions, New York Giants, and Washington Redskins, none of which seem as compelling as Oakland. Although, seeing the Raiders next year during their first offseason in Las Vegas might be entertaining, assuming they continue to meet the eligibility criteria.

Raiders owner Mark Davis, like the 49ers, is against appearing on "Hard Knocks."

"It would be disruptive," Davis told ESPN in March. "We've got a lot of business to take care of, get ready for the season. I appreciate that they might think we'd be great TV, but we got something to accomplish."

Shanahan explained at the end of last season that he would be against appearing on the HBO series. He shared his stance during a season-ending press conference.

"It's a hard, hard, bad stance on Hard Knocks," Shanahan told reporters. "You would see the worst entertainment possible by me."

49ers president Al Guido shared why Shanahan was so against the possibility of being on the series.

"Kyle was pretty straightforward on the Hard Knocks comment," Guido told 95.7 The Game. "Listen, we know that they can select us and frankly, we probably don't have a choice. There's a lot of things behind the scenes I think that Kyle feels like should not be shared.

"I don't mind sharing this one. I think Kyle struggles with cutting guys on camera. He feels like that's very personal. These guys are fighting for their careers, and lives, and how much it means to be an NFL player. To commercialize that, he's never been a big fan of that. I've let the NFL know our stance on that front."

Did Shannahan recently say something about McKinnon still getting the majority of the work in the backfield?  I swear I read something like it but I can’t find the quote anywhere now. 

Thanks. 

Users who are viewing this thread