What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Giants Fans - How Much Control Does Manning Family Have? (1 Viewer)

Giants Fans - How Much Control And Influence Does Manning Family Have?

• Total - They control everything

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • A Lot - They're actively exerting influence and making moves

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Some - They can influence things if they really want to

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Little to None - Manning pulling the strings is a myth .

Votes: 40 78.4%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Interesting take this morning on NFL Network saying Jones at #6 seemed like it was a behind the scenes powerplay from the Manning Family flexing their "royal status". Coach Cutcliff at Duke is very much in the Manning world and all that. 

How much do you buy it? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Casual Giants fan here, brother is a diehard: I don't give that theory much weight at all.
I don't either. 

My fan experience with the Manning family was just living in Knoxville when Peyton was here. Everything I saw from them was completely fine. Obviously, Archie was famous in his own right and Peyton was a star but I never got the impression at all they were trying to pull any strings. 

I don't either. 

My fan experience with the Manning family was just living in Knoxville when Peyton was here. Everything I saw from them was completely fine. Obviously, Archie was famous in his own right and Peyton was a star but I never got the impression at all they were trying to pull any strings. 
One would figure that the Giants are too interested in their own success to get wrapped up in power plays with families and others. It was brought up in the Giants thread that Mike Francessa might have Mara's ear for some unbelievable reason, but I'm not sure of that, either. I think it's just ineptitude, confusion, and a rebuild right now for them without totally tanking.

Besides the Cutcliffe connection, I'm not sure what Manning evidence there would be of it.  Regardless of having the same college mentor, taking a QB at #6 screams preparing to move on from Eli in the near future.  The reports last night mentioned that they were calling Eli Manning to reassure him.

And many of their moves suggest rebuild rather than building a team to compete this year, which would be inconsistent with making moves directed by a 38 year old QB who has limited left shots for a Super Bowl.  If the Manning family was running things, I don't think trading OBJ, letting Collins go, and taking Jones over pass rush help in Allen are moves that they would have done.  Eli and OBJ had their differences, but Eli found out about the OBJ trade watching TV, and called him the most gifted athlete he ever played with; I think Manning would have taken lumps with him for a couple more years if it meant a chance for another SB run.  

It was probably put out there by a Gettleman crony so there's someone else to blame for what looks like some terrible decisions. 

One would figure that the Giants are too interested in their own success to get wrapped up in power plays with families and others. It was brought up in the Giants thread that Mike Francesa might have Mara's ear for some unbelievable reason, but I'm not sure of that, either. I think it's just ineptitude, confusion, and a rebuild right now for them without totally tanking.
Mike is currently rating, calling the play nonsense and Gettelman a liar and a guy with no plan running a team with no chance to win :lol:   so I'm thinking he didn't influence this. He also thinks the Manning influence theory is nonsense. I tend to agree, though they clearly had influence initially getting Eli to NY.

Mike is currently rating, calling the play nonsense and Gettelman a liar and a guy with no plan running a team with no chance to win :lol:   so I'm thinking he didn't influence this. He also thinks the Manning influence theory is nonsense. I tend to agree, though they clearly had influence initially getting Eli to NY.
Yeah, sometimes the answer is pretty much Occam's razor. They just seem inept right now. The only leeway I'll give them is that they're passing on next year until they have massive cap room the year after when all the dead cap money comes off the books. At least this is what my brother hopes. I don't know the situation as well as some that really follow it, so that's about as deep as I can get.     

I don't either. 

Except the whole draft day trade and refusal to play for San Diego

Joe Bryant said:
Interesting take this morning on NFL Network saying Jones at #6 seemed like it was a behind the scenes powerplay from the Manning Family flexing their "royal status". Coach Cutcliff at Duke is very much in the Manning world and all that. 

How much do you buy it? 
Why would they Manning’s want the giants to draft any qb?

Ilov80s said:
Except the whole draft day trade and refusal to play for San Diego
Of course. Well after Peyton's time in Knoxville. 

For New York though, I don't get the sense Manning has continued to try anything like the SD stuff. 

I don't think "The Family" has any pull at least in regards to the draft and player decisions,if they did Archie would have made them draft and aquire much better

offensive linemen to protect Eli. Maybe if they did have more sway the Giants would be a better team right now :whoosh:

Users who are viewing this thread