Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Interseptopus

Mecole Hardman WR KC

7th best WR in a league that counts return yards. ¬†One of my best FA pick ups this year ūüĎć

7 hours ago, Gandalf said:

Next year there should be more targets without Watkins

I agree and look forward to Hardman getting more involved, just not sure if I will be able to start him if he is behind  Hill/Kelce and whatever RB the Chiefs have next season.   In deep leagues sure Hardman looks like he will be valuable, 10/12 team leagues, I'm not so sure.   If I own Tyreek, I would be eager to get Hardman (he's as good as a handcuff WR can be).   The only problem is most owners that drafted Hardman, already paid a high price for him and want something similar back in value.  It's just his value isn't as high as it was because of the Tyreek situation at that time.

Mecole Hardman caught his lone target for two yards in the Chiefs' Super Bowl LIV victory over the 49ers, losing six yards on a carry.

Drafted as a potential Tyreek Hill replacement, No. 56 overall pick Hardman was relegated to role player status when Hill avoided suspension for his latest off-the-field issues. The owner of 4.33 wheels, Hardman was as advertised, turning 26 receptions into a whopping 538 yards (20.7 YPC) and six touchdowns. Even as he cleared two receptions just three times and never surpassed four, 21-year-old Hardman was one of the league’s most dangerous role players. With Demarcus Robinson heading to free agency and Sammy Watkins a likely cap casualty, Hardman could be in for a much bigger role in 2020.

Edited by The Frankman

(thehuddle) Kansas City Chiefs WR Mecole Hardman led all receivers with a 146.6 passer rating when targeted in 2019, finishing with six touchdowns and 20.7 yards per reception on 41 targets.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wooters said:

@grateful zed  That's an impossible pace to keep up.  Hardman will get more targets, but he'll also get more attention.  I think it's a wash, and his numbers are going to look about the same, but with less efficiency.  Hardman is a hold until Watkins actually leaves.

I'm actually a little more nervous if Watkins leaves before Hardman really develops...at this point Watkins is what he is, a solid but nothing special WR...if Hardman really develops he will be able to replace him, I do not see Watkins as a major hurdle...my concern is if Hardman's development this season doesn't take a big jump the Chiefs will let Watkins walk then bring in someone a lot better then him that could keep Hardman as the third WR for the foreseeable future...the Chiefs O is their bread and butter and as you saw with CEH they are gonna be committed to surrounding Mahomes with legit weapons.

Edited by Boston

Chiefs special teams coach Dave Toub said he's "not sure" about Mecole Hardman continuing his role as the team's primary returner.

"I don’t want to lose him," Toub continued. "I think he’s just scratched the surface as a returner." Toub went on to note that a bigger offensive role for Hardman may limit his availability as a returner, which would be a welcomed sight for fantasy players after the 22-year-old spiked six touchdowns and averaged 20.7 yards per catch on just 41 targets all season. For what it's worth, UDFA Justice Shelton-Mosely was also told he "would be the guy to do the things Hardman does" on special teams upon being signed. Any additional reps over Sammy Watkins and Demarcus Robinson would obviously push Hardman into the WR3 and weekly FLEX range for fantasy in only his second year working with Patrick Mahomes.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

May 20, 2020, 2:06 PM ET

Posted (edited)

That's just terrible analysis. He's not going to be much of anything with Tyreek there. 

Never was......

Edited by Milkman

The Athletic's Nate Taylor reports Mecole Hardman is expected to be the primary punt and kick returner.

Chiefs special teams coach Dave Toub said he "wasn't sure" about Hardman keeping that job in 2020 because he'd be more involved on offense, but training camp practices show that Hardman will remain on special teams. It's a great way for the team to utilize his rare speed and in-space athleticism, although it takes some wind out of Hardman's sails as a must-draft fantasy receiver. Drafters remain extremely bullish on Hardman, even reaching for him in the 7th or 8th round despite him seeing just six targets during the Chiefs' playoff run last year. He's a classic boom-bust pick in the middle rounds.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 19, 2020, 1:07 PM ET

Mecole Hardman caught his lone target for six yards in the Chiefs' Week 1 win over the Texans.

Hyped as a second-year breakout candidate, Hardman played well behind both Sammy Watkins and Demarcus Robinson as the lightly-used Chiefs' No. 4 wideout. With his standing on the depth chart, Hardman is hard to make a case for in 12-team fantasy leagues. He's going to need an injury ahead of him.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

4 hours ago, cap'n grunge said:

I got too cute and started him in a flex over Cooks. Oops.

Me too. Seeing Cooks 2 for 20 on my bench really stings...

Its awful to say, but you almost have to hope for an injury to Robinson and/or Watkins before he's safe to put in the lineup. Frustrating because we know the kid has the goods...he's just buried big time on that roster. 

Edited by ffmail4me

He’s a dynasty hold IMO. Especially with Mahomes contract. 

But this roster is loaded it’s gonna be hard for him to put a consistent numbers unless there are multiple injuries.

8 hours ago, cap'n grunge said:

I got too cute and started him in a flex over Cooks. Oops.

I didn’t start Cooks in any league. Hopefully this was his low point.

2 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

Its awful to say, but you almost have to hope for an injury to Robinson and/or Watkins before he's safe to put in the lineup. Frustrating because we know the kid has the goods...he's just buried big time on that roster. 

Lot of moving parts with Hardman (and you covered a few)...he is still young (22) and raw so how much does the non-preseason season effect him early?  Watkins and Robinson are both on one year deals so is this another development year and next year he hits the big time or does KC bring in another high-end WR next offseason?  I think he is a no doubt hold because the potential upside is tremendous but he is a player who has a huge swing in upside/downside value.

Edited by Boston

42 minutes ago, MikesVikes said:

I didn’t start Cooks in any league. Hopefully this was his low point.

he's becoming the Lee Evans or Santana Moss of WRs...he'll put up stinkers over and over and then every once in a while BOOM, huge game. The odds of you having him in your lineup at the right time are miniscule. I moved him in the one PPR dynasty league I still owned him for Conner and  couldn't be happier with the return. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

he's becoming the Lee Evans or Santana Moss of WRs...he'll put up stinkers over and over and then every once in a while BOOM, huge game. The odds of you having him in your lineup at the right time are miniscule. I moved him in the one PPR dynasty league I still owned him for Conner and  couldn't be happier with the return. 

That also sounds like Hardman. Evans is a good comparison too.

6 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

With Robinson's two TD drops I wouldn't be surprised to see more of Hardman

• Like 2

Mecole Hardman caught 4-of-6 targets for 81 yards and one touchdown in the Chiefs' Week 3 win over the Ravens.

Hardman came into this one with just three catches for 26 yards on four targets, but he played ahead of Demarcus Robinson against Baltimore and was the recipient of an incredible 49-yard touchdown throw from Patrick Mahomes on a deep shot. Hardman has mouthwatering upside, but he needs to start playing consistent offensive snaps.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Mecole Hardman caught all four of his targets for 27 yards and one score in Kansas City's Week 4 win over the Patriots.

It was Hardman's second touchdown in as many games. The 22-year-old scored on a six-yard touch pass (literally) that he took around the edge and punched into the end zone. Hardman is still being used as the team's third receiver (and fourth in the overall pecking order) but remains a talent-based FLEX for fantasy players desperate during the bye weeks moving forward.

Oct 5, 2020, 11:08 PM ET

Mecole Hardman did not catch his only target in the Chiefs' Week 6 win over the Bills.

Hardman was out-targeted by Demarcus Robinson for the second straight week. Sammy Watkins was out with a hamstring injury and it has been Robinson who has stepped up in his place so far. Hardman was touted as the second coming of Tyreek Hill when the Chiefs drafted him in 2019 but he's failed to live up to the hype this year. Fantasy managers should keep Hardman on the bench until he starts seeing more targets.

Oct 19, 2020, 9:20 PM ET

Mecole Hardman caught 7-of-9 targets for 96 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' Week 8 victory over the Jets. 

The majority of Hardman's damage, including his touchdown, came on a first quarter jet sweep that went down as a pass. The seven receptions were a new career high, while the 96 yards were just one shy. Hardman's big day came even as Demarcus Robinson mixed in for 4/63/1. Hardman's failure to dispatch Robinson during Sammy Watkins' (hamstring) absence bodes poorly for his odds of turning into a consistent WR3/4. Week 9 opponent Carolina focuses on eliminating the kind of plays Hardman is good at. 

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Chiefs placed WR Mecole Hardman on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

The only good news is that Hardman's diagnosis comes as the Chiefs head on bye. If the second-year pro is asymptomatic, there is a chance he will not miss any game time. Hardman had three catches for 48 yards last week and has a 25/395/3 line this season. 

Nov 11, 2020, 5:02 PM ET

Chiefs activated Mecole Hardman from the COVID-19 list.

Hardman will be cleared to play the Raiders on Sunday Night Football, and he carries flex consideration with Sammy Watkins (calf, hamstring) ruled out. Hardman's route share has fluctuated alongside Demarcus Robinson and Byron Pringle while Watkins has been sidelined with soft-tissue injuries. It's unclear how long Watkins will miss following his in-practice injury a few days ago.

Nov 21, 2020, 4:20 PM ET

Mecole Hardman played 17 snaps in the Chiefs' Week 11 win against the Raiders. 

Hardman managed one catch for 16 yards. Byron Pringle played 46 snaps against Vegas while Demarcus Robinson was in on 63 plays. The humiliations never end for Hardman drafters. Sammy Watkins' hamstring injury hasn't made Hardman fantasy relevant outside of a seven-catch explosion in Week 8 against the abominable Jets. Perhaps Hardman will get more playing time if Pringle, Robinson, and every other pass catcher on the team's active roster and practice squad are unavailable. He can't be started in fantasy leagues going forward. 

RELATED: 

Byron Pringle

SOURCE: Adam Levitan on Twitter 

Nov 23, 2020, 9:46 AM ET

Mecole Hardman caught 3-of-5 targets for 23 yards in the Chiefs' Week 12 win over the Bucs.

Hardman had one of his two missed connections sail behind him on what should have been a walk-in 89-yard touchdown. Patrick Mahomes just missed a wide-open Hardman over the middle with nobody around him. Sammy Watkins was back in the lineup to finish third on the team in targets. Hardman is merely injury insurance for Tyreek Hill and Watkins.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman