What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Time to relocate the Chargers again (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I just got through watching a YouTube video on 5 professional sports teams that need to be relocated, and 5 teams that need to stay put.  The video said that teams like the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Buffalo Bills should stay put where they are, but they also said that the Los Angeles Chargers should be relocated out of Los Angeles.  Yes, they will start to share stadium with the Rams next year.  But, the Chargers just haven't had the fan support in Los Angeles that they had in San Diego.  And should the Chargers relocate back to San Diego?  I don't think that'd be a good idea.  I'm going to throw out two cities that no one has EVER thought about hosting a professional sports franchise: Albuquerque and Austin.  My money's on the Chargers to relocate to Albuquerque instead of Austin.  I just don't see the Chargers lasting that long in Los Angeles, and it's only a matter of time before the franchise moves to Albuquerque.  But I want to hear from people who live in Albuquerque: Would you like to have an NFL franchise in your city?

I always said if the chargers were gonna leave SD, they should of gone to Vegas....put the Raiders in LA.....at least Vegas would of adopted the Chargers.....LA is not....team without a home......sad really

Austin is technically getting a professional sports franchise when our MLS team starts playing in 2021, but I’d welcome one of the major leagues with open arms. 

But, the Chargers just haven't had the fan support in Los Angeles that they had in San Diego.  And should the Chargers relocate back to San Diego?  I don't think that'd be a good idea.  
You are very right about the first part, but very wrong about the second.  San Diego would welcome the Chargers back with open arms.

No idea about Albucracky, but what city wouldn't take an NFL team?  A better question might be what organizations/players/coaches/families would want to move there?  Not that it's such a bad place but there are certainly better options.

Yes, they will start to share stadium with the Rams next year.  But, the Chargers just haven't had the fan support in Los Angeles that they had in San Diego.  And should the Chargers relocate back to San Diego?  I don't think that'd be a good idea. 
You just said they had fan support there. They could have just refurbished the Murph like they did Soldier Field. Sad thing is SD did refurbish it once in the late 90s with a promise that the Bolts would stay but they, well, bolted anyway. It's amazing how churlish some of these billionaires have been in the past, including the Irsays and Bidwells. just honor your commitments. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You just said they had fan support there. They could have just refurbished the Murph like they did Soldier Field. Sad thing is SD did refurbish it once in the late 90s with a promise that the Bolts would stay but they, well, bolted anyway. It's amazing how churlish some of these billionaires have been in the past, including the Irsays and Bidwells. just honor your commitments. 
Dude, Yogi starts a ton of uniformed threads and makes a ton of uninformed comments. I wouldn't get too worked up over this. 

Ha hey man it's football, it's all about me getting worked up over a totally meaningless subject in the big scheme of things. 
Your points are righteous, SID. I wasn't criticizing you, I was more frustrated with Yogi's sort of weird postings and weird threads mixed with his inconsistent or just flat wrong positions. He tried to start a Jets RB thread last year and didn't even know the basics of their backfield. It was...well, I don't want a timeout so I'll stop at the facts of that. 

eta* I mean, I'm all about driving content, but a ten second Google search would have solved any issue, plus a tone of "What do you guys think?" rather than an uninformed opinion delivered with certitude would have suited him a ton better. 

I’ve always been surprised that Portland has never been considered...

The way they support the Blazers and Timbers is pretty top tier.  And this crosses over into entertainment a bit, but there is a Netflix documentary - The Battered Bastards of Baseball...a minor league outfit actually owned by actor Kurt Russell’s father back in the 70’s based in Portland.  Worth a watch.

Bottomline...if an NFL franchise relocated or the NFL expanded, I’d love to see Portland considered.

The way they support the Blazers and Timbers is pretty top tier.  And this crosses over into entertainment a bit, but there is a Netflix documentary - The Battered Bastards of Baseball...a minor league outfit actually owned by actor Kurt Russell’s father back in the 70’s based in Portland.  Worth a watch.

Bottomline...if an NFL franchise relocated or the NFL expanded, I’d love to see Portland considered.
A lot of people, when discussing baseball relocation in the nineties, talked about Portland. 

I’ve mentioned it before and I agree with you. 

Why not locate a franchise to Mexico?

Monterry is further North and not that far from Houston.

It is thinking outside the box but Monterry has a big population and it would lead to much larger and new group of fans throughout Mexico.

I think Los Angeles is capable of supporting two NFL teams.

Among cities that don’t currently have teams, I think San Diego and St. Louis should be next in line.

Among new potential NFL cities, I’d go: Orlando, San Antonio, Portland, Austin.

Albuquerque would be pretty far down my list. The surrounding metropolitan area doesn't have the population to compete with other potential locations.

I think LA could potentially support 2 teams, but it would have been better to have the Rams and Raiders there and move the Chargers to Las Vegas or elsewhere. San Diego does not really have enough fans to compete in a region with other sports teams available. 

I think LA could potentially support 2 teams, but it would have been better to have the Rams and Raiders there and move the Chargers to Las Vegas or elsewhere. San Diego does not really have enough fans to compete in a region with other sports teams available. 
I think San Diego's attendance was good and support was strong, but the owners wanted a new stadium at the public teat and the public didn't want that. San Diego has political dynamics that prevented it. It's fiscally conservative to the nth and socially liberal to the nth and those two ingredients do not generally add up to public works charity for billionaires and their athletic enterprises, especially when there's a viable other facility to be considered. The stadium the Padres played at seemed rather adequate. 

eta* Edited for accuracy.

Their attendance percentage was always towards the bottom 1/3rd even when they were in SD (clicking random years here http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2009/sort/homePct ), and they always had a high percentage of visiting team fans. I am not saying they have no fans, but with so many military bases there, a large part of the population were fans of random other teams compared to other cities with teams. Plus people in SD hate LA, so anywhere else would have had a better chance of keeping some fans, especially with the circumstances of the move that you mentioned.

I think Los Angeles is capable of supporting two NFL teams.

Among cities that don’t currently have teams, I think San Diego and St. Louis should be next in line.

Among new potential NFL cities, I’d go: Orlando, San Antonio, Portland, Austin.

Albuquerque would be pretty far down on my list. The surrounding metropolitan area doesn't have the population to compete with other potential locations.
Orlando? You think Florida can handle a 4th team? That's crazy. Florida is old school all dolphins. Finally getting generations of Bucs and Jags. An Orlando team would be worse than moving the Chargers to LA. Ok, not THAT bad, but still terrible. 

sadly I think after a few years of empty stadiums in LA, they will relocate again, and perhaps re-brand from the chargers....goto San Antonio or something.....

Why not locate a franchise to Mexico?

Monterry is further North and not that far from Houston.

It is thinking outside the box but Monterry has a big population and it would lead to much larger and new group of fans throughout Mexico.
Probably at the top of my list of things I could care less about.

Probably at the top of my list of things I could care less about.
Broncos have a high following South of the border.  The Boys have a high following South of the border.  The NFL in general has a large following South of the border.  

NFL would not be wise to tap into a new market because you're indifference is at the top of everyone's list of concerns.  

Is it a physical list? Do you carry it around and add/remove things as you decide to care or not care about them?
That list would be way too big to carry around. It literally has everything in the universe on it. He should make a list of things he COULDN'T care less about. That would be more efficient, in my imo. 

Orlando? You think Florida can handle a 4th team? That's crazy. Florida is old school all dolphins. Finally getting generations of Bucs and Jags. An Orlando team would be worse than moving the Chargers to LA. Ok, not THAT bad, but still terrible. 
I do think Florida can handle a fourth team. (I think California can handle one or two more as well. San Diego, Sacramento, maybe Orange County or San Jose...)

People in Orlando are Dolphins fans for the same reason people in Portland are Seahawks fans: because they don't have their own team.

Will never happen. It's the culture up there. They just aren't going to vote to buy a stadium for a billionaire so that he can pay his multi-millionaires. Nobody should imo. And it's a small enough media market that nobody is going to move there to pay the entire bill themselves.

The only way it would work for that fan base is a GB situation where the community owned the team and I think the NFL has made that illegal or something.

San Antonio is the only top 10 US City by population with out an nfl team.  Logical choice.  Plus it would piss off jerry jones so there is even more incentive.

Yes, i know who #10 is.

San Antonio is the only top 10 US City by population with out an nfl team.  Logical choice.  Plus it would piss off jerry jones so there is even more incentive.

Yes, i know who #10 is.
I think San Diego is ahead of San Antonio by most measures.

San Diego still has the Padres at least and San Antonio has the Spurs. Austinites are stuck picking to root for other cities’ big three major teams and also have a top 20 US population as well. 

With Austin FC at least we’ll have our first professional team, but the population does well to support UT and our minor league teams (Express, Stars). 

rascal said:

Yes, i know who #10 is.
City size is irrelevant. San Antonio is #7 largest city but #24 largest metro area. 

Many southern cities are huge compared to their MSA because they grew their borders and annexed open land before smaller communities sprung up around them. The size of San Antonio, Houston, Jacksonville is enormous compared to northern cities. 

I maintained the entire time that the Chargers going to LA was a huge mistake. They were going to lose their SD fanbase and find a home that not only would be reluctant to adopt them bust has a history of not liking them. On top of that challenge you have a team going back to LA that you will not only share the market with but share your stadium with as basically a tenant. 

As a Raider fan, I wanted no part of sharing a stadium with the Rams. If we couldn't have our own stadium in LA (and apparently a feasible Oakland solution long gone) then my choice was Vegas. 

If the Chargers were smart, they would have fought like hell for the Raiders to get their stadium in LA and to get into Vegas. They likely would have kept more of their SD fanbase and found a home in Vegas willing to bring them on board. But... well.... apparently they are not smart. 

The fans of the Raiders in LA and Oakland largely will continue to be fans and now Vegas will sign on to be part of Raider Nation. 

The only hope for the Chargers is that LA is notoriously fickle. If they win enough and while they are winning, they will find bandwagon fans. But otherwise, they gave themselves tons of challenges to have true hard core fans moving forward. 

I maintained the entire time that the Chargers going to LA was a huge mistake.
I'm pretty sure everyone outside the spanos household did.

Don't you remember an entire arena at an la clipper game booing the chargers logo before they even played a down in la? And the family assumed that meant they hated the new LOGO and not the team. It's almost like a scene from "Arrested Development" or something but it's a little too far fetched the dumb decisions this family makes.

I predict once Rivers retires in a year or two the attendance will be so bad for this team(even in the new stadium) that the league will send the chargers to Mexico City, and London, and Toronto, and..... Toyko(?) every year for at least a few of their "home" games. Let's be honest. They could probably play their games in Chernobyl and they'd have no fewer charger fans than they have at their home games right now. EVERYONE predicted it.

I do think Florida can handle a fourth team. (I think California can handle one or two more as well. San Diego, Sacramento, maybe Orange County or San Jose...)

People in Orlando are Dolphins fans for the same reason people in Portland are Seahawks fans: because they don't have their own team.
A 4th Florida team and another California team? That's completely insane. 

Users who are viewing this thread