What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darwin Thompson, Chiefs RB (1 Viewer)

caustic

Footballguy
Might want a thread for this guy - late 6th rounder but he has some big fans. Definitely one to keep an eye on during the preseason.

Matt Waldman @MattWaldman

Thompson is a stronger Tarik Cohen with not quite the vertical receiving skill but excellent quicks, contact balance, and STRENGTH.

This guy is like Dion Lewis with Thump. He can develop into a focal point RB as a hybrid guy with the right scheme.

KC is that scheme.

4:01 PM · Apr 27, 2019

Here is a short twitter thread to get yourself acquainted. He’s obviously going to face MUCH better defenders in the NFL, but his tackle breaking / contact balance jumps out immediately. 

This was something that Hunt was extremely good at as well, Williams not so much.

Well, you guys spilled the beans so here I am picking him at 3.04 instead of 5.04.

This guy is a true flyer, but going into a great situation.  With some very real question marks at RB in KC, I found myself wondering after researching Thompson after Reid took him in the 6th if this wasn’t a reincarnation of Brian Westbrook - who was considered a very questionable pick at 5’-10” and 200 lbs out of a smaller college program.  Not as fast, but definitely stronger and bulkier.

This guy is incredibly strong and explosive and has great balance.  He looks tiny on the field but his strength is well beyond guys a lot bigger.  Some nice soft hands and understanding of space in wheel routes out of the backfield.  He’s not a finished product after being in a 4 yr program for only 1 year, but for where you can get him in the draft - looks like a great dice roll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you guys spilled the beans so here I am picking him at 3.04 instead of 5.04.

This guy is a true flyer, but going into a great situation.  With some very real question marks at RB in KC, I found myself wondering after researching Thompson after Reid took him in the 6th if this wasn’t a reincarnation of Brian Westbrook - who was considered a very questionable pick at 5’-10” and 200 lbs out of a smaller college program.  Not as fast, but definitely stronger and bulkier.

This guy is incredibly strong and explosive and has great balance.  He looks tiny on the field but his strength is well beyond guys a lot bigger.  Some nice soft hands and understanding of space in wheel routes out of the backfield.  He’s not a finished product after being in a 4 yr program for only 1 year, but for where you can get him in the draft - looks like a great dice roll.

Make sure you get Boobie Williams too because, why not?

I like Thompson a whole lot more as a NFL RB than I like Williams.  
All I’m saying is that is a prime situation with two journeyman RB’s. Mahomes is going to target the RB, Williams had an 11% target share in college. It’s going to be cheap and easy to pair Thompson and Williams as a dart throw.

You'll be lucky to get him mid second round
Mid second??? That would be a huge reach.  Nobody is drafting him that high in any of the drafts I have seen so far. 

There are more than 18 players with day 2 draft capital or better.  If you're drafting anyone drafted in the 6th round ahead of those guys, you're doing it wrong IMO. 

Don't get me wrong, I want him on my team.  There are just many other players that I need to draft before Thompson. 

Agreed. I felt like I reached at 3.04 but was willing given the circumstances.  I don’t mind playing hunches a lot more after the first two rounds.
Yeah I think early to mid 3rd is a good spot for him, especially if you really want to make sure he's on your team. That's when the high draft capital guys with good talent and opportunity are running dry. 

I really like how he doesn't need others to create space for him.

He'll fit really well in the evolving NFL.

Ok I'll stop 😊. Thanks for sharing the gifs. I've been meaning to look this guy up since the draft.

I took him at 3.12. I was worried the whole 3rd round he would get snagged. I even tried to trade up some spots for him. 

The Chiefs view sixth-round RB Darwin Thompson as a "change of pace."

A small-school transfer, Thompson blew up the Mountain West last year, posting a 153/1,044/14/6.8 rushing line and 23/351/2/15.3 receiving while averaging a ridiculous 5.07 yards after contact. Snubbed for the Combine, Thompson proceeded to blow up Utah State's Pro Day. Thompson is way undersized at 5-foot-8, 200 pounds. Chiefs scout Trey Koziol said the team likes Thompson's moves in space and views him as a big-play threat. Koziol believes Thompson offers a "little bit different dimension in terms of the passing game and guys who operate out in space." Thompson will be an intriguing, zero-risk flier in rookie Dynasty drafts. It is worth taking notice when Andy Reid drafts a running back, no matter the round.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

May 2, 2019, 2:56 PM ET

Mid second??? That would be a huge reach.  Nobody is drafting him that high in any of the drafts I have seen so far. 

There are more than 18 players with day 2 draft capital or better.  If you're drafting anyone drafted in the 6th round ahead of those guys, you're doing it wrong IMO. 

Don't get me wrong, I want him on my team.  There are just many other players that I need to draft before Thompson. 
I just feel like he'll be a player who's shadow will grow longer as we move into the summer months.  Andy Reid rb, Hyde sucks, Williams was a backup, lots of wrs in bad situations...

Just moved him up to 30 on my draft list.  That's late 2nd in 16 man so not sure I'll actually stick to that, and the reality is that there will probably be 1/2 a dozen guys I list higher still there when I pick, but I may just shell out and move up in the 3rd to get him.  4 drafts all start on Monday and this is the kind of guy that catches fire fast.

Just moved him up to 30 on my draft list.  That's late 2nd in 16 man so not sure I'll actually stick to that, and the reality is that there will probably be 1/2 a dozen guys I list higher still there when I pick, but I may just shell out and move up in the 3rd to get him.  4 drafts all start on Monday and this is the kind of guy that catches fire fast.
I have him at 31 in SuperFlex draft rankings. 

I think there is a huge dropoff at 28, once all of the day 2 draft capital players plus a couple of the 4th rounders who landed really well (Justice Hill, Hakeem Butler) are gone.  I see very little chance that he moves into the top 28, so he's a mid 3rd rounder for me in superflex.  Probably an early 3rd in non-superflex.

Andy Reid speaks about Chiefs draft class and rookie minicamp

Excerpt:

Running back Darwin Thompson out of Utah State was praised as a sleeper pick for the Chiefs in the sixth round. Reid provided a brief update on Thompson, saying the best comparison to a player he’s had before is former Chiefs back Charcandrick West. While West was not spectacular for the Chiefs (although he had his moments),  the size for both West (5’10”, 205 lbs) and Thompson’s (5’8″, 200 lbs) is comparable and both have nice versatility. Thompson has stronger legs and should be more productive but West’s versatility as a running and receiving back made him a great option for quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

Every year a guy comes out of nowhere and suprised the league. He could be that guy. Of course, he could also be fool's gold. 

The odds of a 6th rounder panning out is virtually slim to none.  I'll pass.
What are the odds an UDFA pans out? But last year it did, and Lindsay was a huge bargain.

I agree, odds are slim, but it seems to happen often enough to give value to threads like this. He may not pan out at all from a fantasy perspective, but I'd rather know his name than ask myself, "who?! how did I miss him" if he does pan out 

I feel like his best case is this guy in the KC offense:

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/dion-lewis/

In comparison:

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/darwin-thompson/

and not to make it all about comps but he does have an empty downside. This was a guy I liked last year in a decent (not as plum) situation last year that didn’t make it through week 1 cuts and then struggled to find a P.S. until half way through the year: 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/boston-scott/

All somewhat similar athletic, build and production profiles. All taken beyond round 4. It’s tough to identify hits that late. You’re shooting for the moon but no better spot than KC.

I feel like his best case is this guy in the KC offense:

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/dion-lewis/

In comparison:

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/darwin-thompson/

and not to make it all about comps but he does have an empty downside. This was a guy I liked last year in a decent (not as plum) situation last year that didn’t make it through week 1 cuts and then struggled to find a P.S. until half way through the year: 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/boston-scott/

All somewhat similar athletic, build and production profiles. All taken beyond round 4. It’s tough to identify hits that late. You’re shooting for the moon but no better spot than KC.

I don’t get any comparison between Thompson’s and Dion Lewis’ games.  Two radically different styles and capabilities, IMO.  To equate these two says to me that the evaluator isn’t looking too far beyond height and weight.

That backup job is there for the taking in KC, and Thompson could possibly fill that role. That is worth a 3rd round rookie pick to me, though if his ADP starts to rise into round 2, I'll probably pass. Its entirely possible the Chiefs 2020 starting RB isn't currently on the roster, as they have no real investment in anybody right now.

I don’t get any comparison between Thompson’s and Dion Lewis’ games.  Two radically different styles and capabilities, IMO.  To equate these two says to me that the evaluator isn’t looking too far beyond height and weight.
Well I’m not soooooooo. “Film watching” amongst the fantasy community is stupid and close to pointless in my opinion. I’ll listen to a Dane Bruglar or Greg Cosell and find it interesting and I think they’re better at what they do than most. However, I’m looking to get a high hit rate not justify my rights or wrongs so I can watch more television and puff up my chest. They’re similar athletes who produced similarly in their final year of college. What their running style is I could honestly give a crap. The numbers suggest they could be used similarly. Quality target rate, quality usage in the red zone,  similar athletic build and good agility (great in Lewis case). Yes size also being a factor in why I picked Lewis as there are few sub 205lb backs to choose from. 

Well I’m not soooooooo. “Film watching” amongst the fantasy community is stupid and close to pointless in my opinion. I’ll listen to a Dane Bruglar or Greg Cosell and find it interesting and I think they’re better at what they do than most. However, I’m looking to get a high hit rate not justify my rights or wrongs so I can watch more television and puff up my chest. They’re similar athletes who produced similarly in their final year of college. What their running style is I could honestly give a crap. The numbers suggest they could be used similarly. Quality target rate, quality usage in the red zone,  similar athletic build and good agility (great in Lewis case). Yes size also being a factor in why I picked Lewis as there are few sub 205lb backs to choose from. 

So you just make causal comparisons between players along with posting links to support your position, and then get defensive when someone points out that players aren’t alike other than some physical characteristics while at the same time admitting that you have no idea what kinds of players they are and that you don’t really care?

Duly noted.

In an Andy Reid O this guy can be a stronger Westbrook. Westbrook was a not so highly regarded 3rd Rd pick. 

So you just make causal comparisons between players along with posting links to support your position, and then get defensive when someone points out that players aren’t alike other than some physical characteristics while at the same time admitting that you have no idea what kinds of players they are and that you don’t really care?

Duly noted.
What difference does it make? Why do you always make this about other posters instead of the player in question?

Whatever KC rb took a flyer on was going to get pumped up by the community lol.  I'm still of the opinion this is Damien's backfield at least for this coming season.  That said, I wouldn't hesitate to spend a late 2nd or early 3rd on the guy.

What difference does it make? Why do you always make this about other posters instead of the player in question?
Because he’s offering opinions on players on a message board.  It’s worth knowing how much effort a person does, or does not, put forth in formulating those opinions don’t you think?  I certainly don’t claim to have any special insight above many others here, which is why I come here.  I rely on many others here to help me in learning more about these players - as well as engaging socially.  It’s well worth knowing what the basis is of others’ positions.  I learn as much and usually more from those whom I have differing opinions, so I probe a little to see where they’re coming from.

In this case, I saw this diametrically different than Bojang did about Thompson in his comparisons and asked as much.  His first thought was to seriously deride people who actually watch the players in question.  That kind of reaction tends to set me off a bit.  I like people who think differently and say so.  what I dislike is his defending himself by tearing down a bunch of others who do things differently than he does (and the work they put in doing it) and then on top of that admits he doesn’t care about actually seeing the players play.  So I said as much.

As mentioned above, one of the key reasons why Thompson may make some noise is the guys ahead of him. Potential opportunity, if you will.

Damien Williams certainly flashed last year,  but he was basically pushed to the background in Miami due to his ineffectiveness. While DW could still thrive in the Reid system, we’ve seen other average backs like Wade (granted also injury related) and West fade before. And Hyde is another guy who has faded. We don’t know much about Darrel Williams, so he might also be a guy to watch (if he makes the team).

Because he’s offering opinions on players on a message board.  It’s worth knowing how much effort a person does, or does not, put forth in formulating those opinions don’t you think?  I certainly don’t claim to have any special insight above many others here, which is why I come here.  I rely on many others here to help me in learning more about these players - as well as engaging socially.  It’s well worth knowing what the basis is of others’ positions.  I learn as much and usually more from those whom I have differing opinions, so I probe a little to see where they’re coming from.

In this case, I saw this diametrically different than Bojang did about Thompson in his comparisons and asked as much.  His first thought was to seriously deride people who actually watch the players in question.  That kind of reaction tends to set me off a bit.  I like people who think differently and say so.  what I dislike is his defending himself by tearing down a bunch of others who do things differently than he does (and the work they put in doing it) and then on top of that admits he doesn’t care about actually seeing the players play.  So I said as much.
I’ll continue to have very little respect for film grinding for anyone who hasn’t done it on a professional basis or for a professional team.

Just took him at 2.13 (16 team league). There isn’t much value on the board and I like him. Plus several people in my league are on this board (I believe) and all the attention probably bumps him up 

Thompson is small (light) & he's not very dynamic. Don't like him much (long-term), but I can see taking a shot since this is a weak class overall.

The main problem is Thompson isn't feature back material & very likely wasn't drafted to be.

Thompson is small (light) & he's not very dynamic. Don't like him much (long-term), but I can see taking a shot since this is a weak class overall.

The main problem is Thompson isn't feature back material & very likely wasn't drafted to be.
He’s insanely strong for his size

Users who are viewing this thread