What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darwin Thompson, Chiefs RB (1 Viewer)

yahoo has him projected at 8.5 points (0.5 ppr league)

Really debating on darwin over sony or terry.....dammit

Last edited by a moderator:
yahoo has him projected at 8.5 points (0.5 ppr league)

Really debating on darwin over sony or terry.....dammit
That surprises me (seems high) in that there is a very real scenario where he is truly a 3rd string RB vs BAL depending on how the coaching staff views his ability to pass protect.

If Darwin blows up this weekend for his expected 150 total yards and 2 TDs, is he the guaranteed #1 RB in KC next week?

Will Reed continue with the committee?
Reid does not have a history of using RBBC as long as a RB proves themselves to be worthy of the start.

Right now it is a running back by competition but I expect this competition to resolve itself in a few weeks.

I think McCoy is the most likely RB on the KC roster to win this job, but that hasn't happened yet.

If Darwin puts up numbers like that against the Ravens it will be very impressive and likely a good step towards him winning the starting job. 

That seems pretty unlikely.

ESPN's Adam Teicher reports that the Chiefs are "likely to be cautious about overloading" LeSean McCoy (ankle, questionable) in Week 3.

It's not a surprising development considering Shady was limited in practice all week. He's expected to suit up Sunday against the Ravens, but likely won't see a ridiculous 80% snap rate or three-down workload. Look for Darwin Thompson and potentially Darrel Williams to also be involved. Still, Shady is in the RB2 discussion as the lead back in the Chiefs' high-scoring offense.

SOURCE: Adam Teicher on Twitter.

Sep 20, 2019, 3:48 PM ET

^ this may push me over the edge

Had AB at Wr1 and Singletary at flex with Mclaurin on the bench.

Mclaurin now starting at WR.  

I can start Darwin or Hardman at flex now. Waiting to see of we get a better idea on DT’s usage.

If Darwin blows up this weekend for his expected 150 total yards and 2 TDs, is he the guaranteed #1 RB in KC next week?

Will Reed continue with the committee?
Now rein it in folks. This is just ridiculous.  What is "expected" about such outlandish numbers?  Perhaps Kareem Hunt could do that, but Thompson is nowhere near the level of Hunt.

To help you with some perspective:

By Lance Zierlein     NFL Analyst

Draft Projection    Priority free agent

Overview

"Worker-bee running back with a willingness to put the hard-hat on and make his living between the tackles despite a lack of size. Thompson runs with zeal, but his average foot quickness and delayed downhill trigger limits his ability to threaten beyond on the second level. He will be unable to outrun NFL speed to the corner so his future may be limited to what he can do between or over the tackles. He's versatile and tough enough to get a chance to compete for a spot at the back-end of the roster as a three-down backup prospect."

Now rein it in folks. This is just ridiculous.  What is "expected" about such outlandish numbers?  Perhaps Kareem Hunt could do that, but Thompson is nowhere near the level of Hunt.

To help you with some perspective:

By Lance Zierlein     NFL Analyst

Draft Projection    Priority free agent

Overview

"Worker-bee running back with a willingness to put the hard-hat on and make his living between the tackles despite a lack of size. Thompson runs with zeal, but his average foot quickness and delayed downhill trigger limits his ability to threaten beyond on the second level. He will be unable to outrun NFL speed to the corner so his future may be limited to what he can do between or over the tackles. He's versatile and tough enough to get a chance to compete for a spot at the back-end of the roster as a three-down backup prospect."
Agree, I like the player but would bet the farm he is not given the keys no matter his performance once everyone is healthy. Also put me in the crowd the Darrel Williams gets more touches than most here desire.

Agree, I like the player but would bet the farm he is not given the keys no matter his performance once everyone is healthy. Also put me in the crowd the Darrel Williams gets more touches than most here desire.
he passed the eyeball test this summer and Waldman doesn’t agree with Zuerlein’s assessment 

he passed the eyeball test this summer and Waldman doesn’t agree with Zuerlein’s assessment 
I like Walkman and agree with Darwin’s talent...and I am invested...just tempering my expectations as none of these injuries seem long term. McCoy and Damien will continue to put chinks in his armor this year when healthy IMO.

I think eoMMan was being sarcastic, for those who responded to 150 and a touch. I sort of caught an edge in his voice there about the whole deal.

I have Thompson rostered in the perfect spot to use him at FLEX. I also have Shady to use there.

I just picked him up in my ten team league (he got dropped last week, no one bid on him anyways).  I probably wont start him this week but I'll waste the 5 bucks to see what happens over the next week or two.  The two guys in front of him are not going to last the season one way or another but we still don't know what that will do for Thompson fantasy wise.

At this point, we should probably start monitoring Jay Ajayi for KC. I mean it. I've missed out on so much good first and second week talent because of this mess on my roster that I want to scream.

Not worth it. Never doing this again.

I don’t trust him in my flex this week unless McCoy is also out.  With McCoy still playing and vs a tough defense im holding on my bench and let’s see what happens.  If he excels maybe he will be given more chances even after williams is back to health. 

Starting curtis Samuel over him.  

Expecting Darwin to take the majority of carries. 

Williams is out.  McCoy is nursing his bad knee.  The knee isn't going away and they are going to want to save Shady for the Playoffs and the Patriots.  This is when things get interesting in KC.  

Darwin is going to evolve the offense.  Survival of the fittest. 

Williams is out.  McCoy is nursing his bad knee.  The knee isn't going away and they are going to want to save Shady for the Playoffs and the Patriots.  This is when things get interesting in KC.  

McCoy doesn’t have a bad knee. Unless by bad, you just mean old?

• Smile
Reactions: SCT

It’s Week 3 - if they need to start saving McCoy for the playoffs already they should just put him on IR and bring him back in Week 10.

As said ad nauseum, I have a strong feeling Thompson may not get as many touches as we’d like. Pass pro is going to be the big factor vis-a-vis McCoy and Darrel, and Thompson may not be there yet.

Darwin is still available in my league but I don't see a clear path to him being a clear starter for multiple weeks.  McCoy and Williams' injuries don't seem serious, I guess if he's a "special" player, talent will win.  I'm sticking with Malcolm Brown as my lottery ticket for now.

Darwin is still available in my league but I don't see a clear path to him being a clear starter for multiple weeks.  McCoy and Williams' injuries don't seem serious, I guess if he's a "special" player, talent will win.  I'm sticking with Malcolm Brown as my lottery ticket for now.
Malcolm Brown

Justin Jackson

Darwin Thompson

All three to me have similar upside. 

Just get everyone you can get in the KC backfield.  We should have all learned from last year... Whoever is this years Damien is going to gain a bunch of value and be a great sell high at the end of the year or offseason. 

NY Post-Drew Loftis

"From Jamaal Charles to Charcandrick West to Spencer Ware to Kareem Hunt to Damien Williams. The Kansas City backfield has provided a parade of productive running backs. One goes down, another steps in and barely misses a beat."

i'm gonna say 9 carries for 52 yards.  4 receptions for 48.  100 total yards with a 50/50 shot at a TD.
That will get him a lot more snaps and a solid part of the committee. 

McCoy has done very little in the passing game so far. Williams is fresh off a 9 carry 8yd performance, there's plenty of room for Darwin to make a splash. 100 total yds and becoming a viable pass option would be wonderful moving forward, TDs are unpredictable. 

NY Post-Drew Loftis

"From Jamaal Charles to Charcandrick West to Spencer Ware to Kareem Hunt to Damien Williams. The Kansas City backfield has provided a parade of productive running backs. One goes down, another steps in and barely misses a beat."
I get the idea here, but Charles was an elite RB, probably a top-5 RB of his generation. They've never really replaced him, but the others(especially Hunt) have all fared pretty well.

Man, imagine prime Charles with this 2019 offense. 

rockaction said:
At this point, we should probably start monitoring Jay Ajayi for KC. I mean it. I've missed out on so much good first and second week talent because of this mess on my roster that I want to scream.

Not worth it. Never doing this again.
Who did you miss that you wanted specifically?  I held D Thompson, but for me he's a really long-term play (like next year).  I dropped D Harris and G Allison for McClaurin and Hardman.

FGITLOTR said:
When you get a chance, go watch Darwin’s film, because you obv haven’t seen him play. 
He was a 6th round pick man. He may end up being a good fantasy player but it’s unlikely he’s Walter Payton out there. 

zamboni said:
As said ad nauseum, I have a strong feeling Thompson may not get as many touches as we’d like. Pass pro is going to be the big factor vis-a-vis McCoy and Darrel, and Thompson may not be there yet.
His pass pro in the Pre-season was excellent, but they still not be comfortable having him help protect Mahomes. Somewhere in this thread someone linked Waldman’s analysis of his pre-season pass pro...I don’t think he gets 

I’d be happy with that.  Struggling with him or Burkhead to replace DWill in my 2.   
I’m in the exact same spot! I’m leaning Darwin because my opponent is loaded 

He was a 6th round pick man. He may end up being a good fantasy player but it’s unlikely he’s Walter Payton out there. 
6th round pick at the RB position doesn’t mean much anymore...he can clearly play and plenty of guys have come out of nowhere to produce 

6th round pick at the RB position doesn’t mean much anymore...he can clearly play and plenty of guys have come out of nowhere to produce 
Of course it means something, that’s ridiculous. I have him in my main - I’m not saying he can’t be good or not a fantasy option but the takes in here that this guy is a no brainer are silly imo. 

Who did you miss that you wanted specifically?  I held D Thompson, but for me he's a really long-term play (like next year).  I dropped D Harris and G Allison for McClaurin and Hardman.
I'd have to look, but I missed McLaurin because I bid on A.J. Brown per Waldman's analysis of his talent. That's totally on me. I indeed know better. I thought Brown would force both snaps and targets. Wouldn't matter. Mariota is that bad.

I missed out on adding Hollywood. His numbers through two weeks are just insane. We'll see if he levels off.

I'd have to look, but I missed McLaurin because I bid on A.J. Brown per Waldman's analysis of his talent. That's totally on me. I indeed know better. I thought Brown would force both snaps and targets. Wouldn't matter. Mariota is that bad.

I missed out on adding Hollywood. His numbers through two weeks are just insane. We'll see if he levels off.
It's a good lesson about trusting talent isn't it?  Everyone thought so highly of Hollywood as a talent before the Draft, but then the "consensus" was that BAL was a terrible landing spot, and we didn't see him much in the preseason.  He didn't even get drafted in our league, even though we have space for a keeper spot!  Lesson learned.

It's a good lesson about trusting talent isn't it?  Everyone thought so highly of Hollywood as a talent before the Draft, but then the "consensus" was that BAL was a terrible landing spot, and we didn't see him much in the preseason.  He didn't even get drafted in our league, even though we have space for a keeper spot!  Lesson learned.
Lesson learned for me, too. I definitely take your point about consensus. I drafted Hollywood in another draft and held. He's a starter. Now. 

But on the flip side, A.J. Brown has talent and won't see more than five targets in a game. And won't be a viable starter until Tenn. gets rid of Mariota. Which means not this year. So, it does have something to do with situation.

Lesson learned for me, too. I definitely take your point about consensus. I drafted Hollywood in another draft and held. He's a starter. Now. 

But on the flip side, A.J. Brown has talent and won't see more than five targets in a game. And won't be a viable starter until Tenn. gets rid of Mariota. Which means not this year. So, it does have something to do with situation.
Exactly. I think the lesson here reinforces that situation matters even more. The problem with Hollywood was that most of us misread his situation, not his talent.

Users who are viewing this thread