What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darwin Thompson, Chiefs RB (1 Viewer)

Will both D Williams out, he may get another long look on Sunday unless Reid goes with old semi-reliable Ware alongside McCoy.

Who knows?  But Andy seems to be a huge speed guy and I think Darwin gets enough shots to be started - just depends over who?

I can't bring myself to start him this week.  Maybe next if he shows well with a lot of usage or McCoy goes down. 

My guess is Ware was brought in because of the injuries and being familiar with the system. I would be surprised if he jumps Thompson unless Thompson comes out and struggles mightily. That being said I think they will rely on McCoy as much as they can.

Darwin Thompson compiled seven yards on four carries while nabbing four catches for an additional 36 yards on five targets Sunday in the Chiefs’ Week 14 win over the Patriots.

Thompson surprisingly led the Chiefs' backfield in touches last week but that was not the case Sunday as the sixth-round rookie took a clear backseat to LeSean McCoy while also seeing fewer snaps than Spencer Ware, who was making his 2019 debut following a nearly fourth-month stint of unemployment. Though he didn't make much headway as a ball-carrier, Thompson did show well as a receiver, turning four catches into a career-high 36 receiving yards. He'll stay involved if Damien Williams (ribs) misses another game in Week 15, though starting Thompson in fantasy would be a Hail Mary.

Dec 8, 2019, 9:23 PM ET

I can't bring myself to start him this week.  Maybe next if he shows well with a lot of usage or McCoy goes down. 
I don’t think I can ever start him, I’m about to cut bait with him and use his roster spot for the latest waiver wire darling.   A few weeks too late,  lol.

To be fair....while he looked like a deer in the headlights when he recovered the ball....in football you can’t advance a muff but you can advance a fumble....so he may have been confused for a second....but either way there is nothing wrong with taking it to the house....but could have been a game changer if they didn’t punch it in there.... 

This is the guy you want to go after following Damien Williams' retirement. 
If you’re talking about the #2 guy after CEH, I think Darrel Williams stands just as much a chance - if not more - at being that guy. Darwin had all the hype last off-season, but if he were that good, Reid would have played him and probably not brought in other guys in the offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you’re talking about the #2 guy after CEH, I think Darrel Williams stands just as much a chance - if not more - at being that guy. Darwin had all the hype last off-season, but if he were that good, Reid would have played him and probably not brought in other guys in the offseason.
No one is saying he is “that good”

Thompson is an obvious next man up to fill some or all of a roll Williams was going to have. I have a feeling Andy Reid will use CEH as much as he would have if Williams didn’t opt out. 

No one is saying he is “that good”

Thompson is an obvious next man up to fill some or all of a roll Williams was going to have. I have a feeling Andy Reid will use CEH as much as he would have if Williams didn’t opt out. 
This is what I disagree with. Darrel Williams was coming on last year and got a lot more PT than Darwin when Damien went down and Shady was underperforming (and then Darrel went down for the year). I don’t even think it’s out of the question that DeAndre Washington would be the next man up.

This is what I disagree with. Darrel Williams was coming on last year and got a lot more PT than Darwin when Damien went down and Shady was underperforming (and then Darrel went down for the year). I don’t even think it’s out of the question that DeAndre Washington would be the next man up.
Good points all around

Your reasoning is a fallacy. 1)Teams need a bunch of running backs. KC wasn't going to go into 2020 with three of them. 2) Many players have needed a rookie year to develope.

If I've learned anything from Andy's time in KC, you never know what the hell he's going to do at RB. I admit the most likely outcome is CEH getting majority of the work, but this is not foregone. I think it's a little overstated based on some of the trades I've seen. Just so I'm clear, I think Thompson is a dark horse here, but he is so forgotten he's basically free, more free than Darrel Williams. I think Darwin's definitely worth dropping KeSsean Johnson for, having pretty good upside, apparently unappriciated upside.. 

Bought into the hype in last year's rookie draft and was just getting comfortable with the idea of not protecting him.   For me this makes him a definite hold, albeit on a short early season leash.   I think CEH's share goes up some, but not as much as those that now have him as a mid/late 1st in redraft.   I fully expect a rotation of Darrel Williams, Thompson, and Washington to pick up most of Damien's workload early.   So I think the opportunity will be there for Darwin, just a matter of whether enough of the 2019 hype was real that he will actually be able to distinguish himself from that group to make a compelling case for a large share of Damien's workload.   If he doesn't, I will at least have a much easier drop to make.     

Your reasoning is a fallacy. 1)Teams need a bunch of running backs. KC wasn't going to go into 2020 with three of them. 2) Many players have needed a rookie year to develope.

If I've learned anything from Andy's time in KC, you never know what the hell he's going to do at RB. I admit the most likely outcome is CEH getting majority of the work, but this is not foregone. I think it's a little overstated based on some of the trades I've seen. Just so I'm clear, I think Thompson is a dark horse here, but he is so forgotten he's basically free, more free than Darrel Williams. I think Darwin's definitely worth dropping KeSsean Johnson for, having pretty good upside, apparently unappriciated upside.. 
I agree that rookies sometimes need a season to develop, but the RB position is more often plug and play. Kareem Hunt came right in and thrived, although granted he is a considerable talent. If Thompson was all that, I think he would have gotten more playing time when Damien got hurt last year. 

As for other RBs being brought in, I also agree that teams need depth. But after McCoy left, not only did they use a 1st round pick on CEH, they also went out and got Washington and Elijah McGuire along with returning Darrel Williams. Doesn’t sound like a lot of confidence in Darwin.

I may be way off, but IMO the path to the starting gig of CEH falters/gets hurt is muddled at best.

I may be way off, but IMO the path to the starting gig of CEH falters/gets hurt is muddled at best.
I agree with this, and is more often the case in fantasy football than we appreciate. I would only add CEH doesn't have to falter or get injured for any of these guys to get playing time, ask Rashaad Penny.

Bought into the hype in last year's rookie draft and was just getting comfortable with the idea of not protecting him.   For me this makes him a definite hold, albeit on a short early season leash.   I think CEH's share goes up some, but not as much as those that now have him as a mid/late 1st in redraft.   I fully expect a rotation of Darrel Williams, Thompson, and Washington to pick up most of Damien's workload early.   So I think the opportunity will be there for Darwin, just a matter of whether enough of the 2019 hype was real that he will actually be able to distinguish himself from that group to make a compelling case for a large share of Damien's workload.   If he doesn't, I will at least have a much easier drop to make.     
The CEH hype is out of control.

My main league just drafted this weekend and this league has been going on since 1995. CEH went at the 1.10. I drafted Darwin at the 25.09 and then took Darrell and DeAndre at the 30.11 and 36.11 spots respectively.

Clearly CEH has been crowned by the fantasy community.

If you're the kinda guy who loves to draft value, there's somebody slipping to you at the end of the first or early second round who you didn't expect to be there thanks to the CEH effect.

I still like Darwin to be the eventual #2 because I think he has a complete game. But Washington has solid passing game chops and Darrell played well, too.

The big unknown is how much (if any) that Darwin has grown. Given how things are so jammed up right now with camps and practices, we probably won't know till the season starts. Which is why I grabbed all three to hedge my bets.

And the biggest overhype in the history of the Shark Pool has come to an end.  I bet Waldman regrets this analysis:

Matt Waldman @MattWaldman

Thompson is a stronger Tarik Cohen with not quite the vertical receiving skill but excellent quicks, contact balance, and STRENGTH.

This guy is like Dion Lewis with Thump. He can develop into a focal point RB as a hybrid guy with the right scheme.

KC is that scheme.

4:01 PM · Apr 27, 2019

Having watched a fair amount of Darwin Thompson breakdowns, I do think he's still a talented player. I don't think the Chiefs ever gave him a fair shot.

And the biggest overhype in the history of the Shark Pool has come to an end.  I bet Waldman regrets this analysis:

"Dion Lewis with THUMP".   You take those words, add a dash of Shark Pool hype, sprinkle in a Brian Westbrook comparison, a weak 2019 RB class, stir in some disdain for Damien Williams, and bake in the afterglow of a 50-td Mahomes breakout season, and that's how you throw the 1.9 into the rubbish bin when you're a noob rookie drafter like myself playing in their first dynasty league.   Valuable lesson learned.

From what I saw in the week 17 game last season, I'm still not convinced that the kid can't play a change-of-pace role, which is frustrating.    

Waldman admits to his misses, and Thompson was probably his biggest whiff.  But he nailed Nick Chubb and I am in lockstep with his Trey Sermon evaluation.  I also agreed with his Etienne criticism as I believe he was way overvalued/drafted.

Waldman is one of the better analysts out there IMHO.  His evaluation is another datapoint, just like Matt Harmon's and other, more technical analysts.

Wasn't DT a 6th round pick? Him sticking around as long as he did proved he has talent. Some get opportunites, other don't. He was obviously a long shot. 

Waldman admits to his misses, and Thompson was probably his biggest whiff.  But he nailed Nick Chubb and I am in lockstep with his Trey Sermon evaluation.  I also agreed with his Etienne criticism as I believe he was way overvalued/drafted.

Waldman is one of the better analysts out there IMHO.  His evaluation is another datapoint, just like Matt Harmon's and other, more technical analysts.
He's had plenty of whiffs. He's also had plenty of home runs. CMC, Chubb, Mahomes, and Lamar Jackson all come to mind in recent memory. You can't win them all. 

His write ups are tremendous. But you have to know he falls crazy in love sometimes and has big misses too. I think he called Hakeem Butler the best wr since Calvin Johnson. But if you read what he wrote and balance it out with your opinion and others it has a lot of value. Looking way back at Ty Hilton he pretty much nailed the scouting even if he ranked him too low as a good example.

TripItUp said:

I agree.  I like Waldman - and I agree with Trey Sermon.  As an analyst you can't get them all right though.  Although 99% of the overhype was from the Shark Pool, maybe 1% from analysts.

Power, pass catching ability and heart. What aren't you seeing?
Pass blocking, size, and a role in the offense. He's an older rookie at 23, he's 3 inches shorter and 12-15 pounds lighter than Williams at 5'8" 198-200 lbs, and he's bad at pass blocking. He was a 6th round pick who is hoping to just make the team, and he's got a difficult road to get there let alone a starting job. Guys his size and shape typically hope to get a shot on special teams and an occasional offensive snap before maybe getting a third down role. But even if he beats the odds, makes the team, passes one of Damien Williams, hyde and Darrell Williams to make the roster (the chiefs typically keep 3 backs plus a fullback) then passes the other two to not only get touches but actually get to start, and then has over 600 yards and 10 touchdowns in his first 6 starts he'll apparently be a hard sell next offseason because nobody will believe in him and will be betting on the next next big thing.

Looking back at this and thinking about my pro allgeier stance from this year. Entirely possible Allgeier gets replaced your offseason so I'm not looking at the results just the difference in the two prospects.

Both entered a rb room that had questionable talent. Both were day 3 picks. Both had positive attributes that made scouts think they might be steals. Both went to teams whose starters surprised people the previous year.

Allgeier has prototype size. Darwin was small.

Allgeier went to a run heavy coach. Darwin went to a much lower volume offense.

The chiefs needed a pass blocker who could do other things. The Falcons needed a pounder.

The chiefs had a bunch of decent veterans so a new guy would have to be head and shoulders better to get the lead role. The Falcons wanted to complement a very good but aging Cordarelle after he started off hot and cooled down late in 2021, and Allgeier was the highest drafted guy they went after to do it.

In other words, Allgeier was drafted to fill a role that he was well suited for, and Darwin was drafted as depth in a role that was already filled, in the hopes that he could become a good pass blocker and succeed at 198 lbs.

Yet Allgeier was going in the mid- late second or third in rookie drafts and Darwin crept into the first.

Stuff to think about when evaluating late round rb flyers.

Pass blocking, size, and a role in the offense. He's an older rookie at 23, he's 3 inches shorter and 12-15 pounds lighter than Williams at 5'8" 198-200 lbs, and he's bad at pass blocking. He was a 6th round pick who is hoping to just make the team, and he's got a difficult road to get there let alone a starting job. Guys his size and shape typically hope to get a shot on special teams and an occasional offensive snap before maybe getting a third down role. But even if he beats the odds, makes the team, passes one of Damien Williams, hyde and Darrell Williams to make the roster (the chiefs typically keep 3 backs plus a fullback) then passes the other two to not only get touches but actually get to start, and then has over 600 yards and 10 touchdowns in his first 6 starts he'll apparently be a hard sell next offseason because nobody will believe in him and will be betting on the next next big thing.

Looking back at this and thinking about my pro allgeier stance from this year. Entirely possible Allgeier gets replaced your offseason so I'm not looking at the results just the difference in the two prospects.

Both entered a rb room that had questionable talent. Both were day 3 picks. Both had positive attributes that made scouts think they might be steals. Both went to teams whose starters surprised people the previous year.

The chiefs needed a pass blocker who could do other things. The Falcons needed a pounder.

The chiefs had a bunch of decent veterans so a new guy would have to be head and shoulders better to get the lead role. The Falcons wanted to complement a very good but aging Cordarelle after he started off hot and cooled down late in 2021, and Allgeier was the highest drafted guy they went after to do it.

In other words, Allgeier was drafted to fill a role that he was well suited for, and Darwin was drafted as depth in a role that was already filled, in the hopes that he could become a good pass blocker and succeed at 198 lbs.

Yet Allgeier was going in the mid- late second or third in rookie drafts and Darwin crept into the first.

All good points.

I’m still not sold on Algier, and would not be surprised to see ATL being in competition, or at least a COP back to take on a receiving role.

But you were spot on with Thompson.

All good points.

I’m still not sold on Algier, and would not be surprised to see ATL being in competition, or at least a COP back to take on a receiving role.

But you were spot on with Thompson.
My take on Allgeier is and has been that Atlanta can't live on Cordarelle alone. It's not that Cordarelle is small or incapable, but he's old for a feature back and he's never had to survive a full season workload as a running back. When he has tried, he's worn down. A sane coach would use Cordarelle as a change of pace and bring in a pounder who can soften defenses and survive the beating game after game. That's Allgeier. And that's exactly what happened down the stretch once Patterson predictably wore down.

This off season the Falcons could easily draft Bijan if they wanted. I think they've got higher priorities. Qb obviously. Defensive line/ edge. A second receiver. O line. If he's there in the second... maybe. But I don't see them moving up to get him.

This is a deep rb class. They could get a good one in the second or third. And that would seriously hamper Allgeier's value. But pretty much every rb is facing that. In a limited role Allgeier broke 1000 yards rushing and was in the top 16 rbs in both rush yards and total yards while averaging 4.9 ypc and finishing with 4 games for 483 total yards in a playoff push. I don't know that the Falcons will be first pig at that particular trough either.

I do think they'll draft someone. They need depth after Huntley hurt his Achilles. It's just a question of how early, and what kind of back. I'm not going to trade for Allgeier until I've seen what they do unless I get a huge bargain, and I'm not going to trade him away where I drafted him unless I get something close to the "I can't believe they didn't sign or draft anyone at all" price. He's a good player in a potentially great situation for now and people are hesitant so he's probably a hold for most people right now.

Seahawks waived RB Darwin Thompson.​

Thompson spent all of last season on the Seahawks practice squad and hasn't suited up for a game since 2020. An undersized back who has a career rushing line of 64-225-2, Thompson will likely find somewhere to compete for a job this offseason, but his days as an NFL contributor appear to be over. In addition to Thompson, the Seahawks also parted ways with DT Jarrod Hewitt, DB Chris Steele, WR Connor Wedington, and WR Easop Winston

Users who are viewing this thread