What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jaylon Smith or Fred Warner? Dynasty (1 Viewer)

garren33

Footballguy
I'm making a trade in my Dynasty League. I can have Fred Warner or Jaylon Smith in return.    Thoughts and reasons one over the other?

Thanks!   

Not much league info to go on, but I agree that Smith would be best. A bit better pedigree, a stud running mate in LVE with both producing well last season. He's still only 23 so a very young LB for a guy heading into year 4. His contract is up after this year, though. With the insane contracts ILBs got this year, Smith may be let loose next year and who knows what the change of scenery will bring. If it's a contract league there's no way I'd take Smith over Warner. 

Thanks!  New to the site and I somehow created two threads. One with league info.

2.5 tackle, 0.75 assist, 2.5 sack

Not a contract league.  But yes, his potential FA status next year is of concern.  Warner good through 2021.

I also wonder about his reconstructed knee. Didn't seem to be a problem last year, but...

Tough one as I think there are flaws with both, but also upside. I personally like Warner better as a talent but I think Smith has been overrated since he was drafted.

Up until last year, he was heading towards bust territory (as an NFL player on the field) but his opportunity was keeping his fantasy value alive. I didn't see many Dallas games last year, but from what I've read he showed improvement last season so he may not be as much of a risk now. He also likely has 'name value' in your league over Warner which might make him a better asset to hold and perhaps move in a trade down the track (the perception of him still seems to be that he would have been some all-world prospect without the injury when he was drafted). On the other hand, LVE is a beast and probably caps Smith's tackle upside in Dallas. 

Warner started off on fire last year but his production wise as the season went on last year and with Kwon Alexander there (if healthy), there's maybe a bit more tackle competition for him as well. 

Overall I'd take Warner due to personal bias and the fact that I've never had any desire to have Smith on a roster, but I don't feel strongly about it. I think they are both in the LB2 range and it's just matter of personal preference - neither IMO will make a leap into elite status. 

Jaylon playing MLB or SLB this year? FBG has him listed as the SLB, does that hurt his value? If so how much?

Users who are viewing this thread