Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
ZenoRazon

Witness history being made.....

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Chaka said:

We don't.

Well then you;d be 100% wrong.

Google....Hattie McDaneil, why do we need to know she was the first black to win an Oscar?

Why do we need to know about Willie Thrower at all? 

Why do we need to know Doug Williams was the first black QB to win a Superbowl?

Why do we need to know Joe Perry was the first black to have a 1000 yard NFL season?

Why do we have HBCU schools like Grambling?

Talk to me bout MoTown.

Why do we need to harmonica wizard DeFord Bailey was the first black to perform on the Grand Old Opry?

Google...Willie Thrower, what do you see?

Yes, we do care about this stuff, it's never what the hell we're all the same at all and never will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jhib said:

See what it took?

I really don't care what others want to talk about anyone who does, why?

Yes wiping butts, farting....hey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Well then you;d be 100% wrong.

Google....Hattie McDaneil, why do we need to know she was the first black to win an Oscar?

Why do we need to know about Willie Thrower at all? 

Why do we need to know Doug Williams was the first black QB to win a Superbowl?

Why do we need to know Joe Perry was the first black to have a 1000 yard NFL season?

Why do we have HBCU schools like Grambling?

Talk to me bout MoTown.

Why do we need to harmonica wizard DeFord Bailey was the first black to perform on the Grand Old Opry?

Google...Willie Thrower, what do you see?

Yes, we do care about this stuff, it's never what the hell we're all the same at all and never will be.

Get back to me when a white athlete is forbidden from competing exclusively because they are white.

You're race baiting. I would like to think you are doing it unintentionally out of ignorance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Get back to me when a white athlete is forbidden from competing exclusively because they are white.

You're race baiting. I would like to think you are doing it unintentionally out of ignorance. 

Ignorance is thinking anytime a white/black/Asian etc athlete is the first to do something isn't big news.

I have no problems being in the real world and talking like mature adults do, I have no reson to play silly games. Nothing wrong with talking about the first female to climb Mount Everest , the first Asian to win an Olympic 100m gold medal, the first black to win an Olympic swimming gold medal. If you do then ....why?

One more time!

Google...Willie Thrower......pretty please.

Forget that. Here ya go.

 

Willie Lee Thrower (March 22, 1930 – February 20, 2002) was an American football quarterback. Born near Pittsburgh in New Kensington, Pennsylvania, Thrower was known as "Mitts" for his large hands and arm strength, which stood in contrast to his 5' 11" frame. He was known to toss a football 70 yards. Thrower was a part of the 1952 Michigan State Spartans who won the national championship. He became one of the first National Football League (NFL) African American quarterbacks in the modern era, playing for the Chicago Bears in 1953 (Fredrick Douglas Fritz Pollard was a pre-modern era African American quarterback; George Taliaferro was a modern era contemporary of Thrower.) .

So why do we need to know about his race, could it be because he was the first?  Trust me the only reason we know about him at all is because he was the first.

 

 

Edited by ZenoRazon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

 

So why do we need to know about his race

 

 

You really don't get it, do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chaka said:

You really don't get it, do you?

Tell that to.....

Hattie McDaniel (June 10, 1893[1][2] – October 26, 1952) was an American stage actress, professional singer-songwriter, and comedian. She is best known for her role as "Mammy" in Gone with the Wind (1939), for which she won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, the first Academy Award won by an African American entertainer.

In addition to acting in many films, McDaniel recorded 16 blues sides between 1926-1929 (10 were issued), was a radio performer and television star; she was the first black woman to sing on radio in the United States.[3][4] She appeared in over 300 films, although she received screen credits for only 80 or so.[5]

......why do we need to know her race?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

 

......why do we need to know her race?

 

 

...why do you not get it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what has Matthew Boling overcome?  

He is a white male. He goes to a Catholic Prep School that costs $20K year.  He has every advantage you could ask for. 

Do you think his challenges compare to those of Hattie McDaniel or Willie Thrower?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chaka said:

...why do you not get it?

Well when you know all about the SWAC/MEAC (black colleges) BET...TV, EBONY the magazine. Miss Black America, MoTown, and all those firsts by black athletes. entertainers, because.................you read all about it.  You get that people do care about this stuff so you accept that fact.  It's not......just ignore all that race stuff....at all and never has been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Nugget said:

So what has Matthew Boling overcome?  

He is a white male. He goes to a Catholic Prep School that costs $20K year.  He has every advantage you could ask for. 

Do you think his challenges compare to those of Hattie McDaniel or Willie Thrower?

Who is talking cjhallenges?  The bottom line is all of them were the first to do something.  And race is that first. And yes we are told this....why?

Why do we need to know that Thrower was the first anything......well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K80ZSLygsYo

What is the news there?

Edited by ZenoRazon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZenoRazon said:

See what it took?

Yup. All it took was a topic that you were uncomfortable talking about for you to go into the thread, complain about the topic of the thread, and completely derail the thread with your complaining.

Certainly not "simply passing by things that don't interest" you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. That isn’t news either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jhib said:

Yup. All it took was a topic that you were uncomfortable talking about for you to go into the thread, complain about the topic of the thread, and completely derail the thread with your complaining.

Certainly not "simply passing by things that don't interest" you.

 

Come n man, most people will think a thread title about wiping butt is a bit weird. Other than wiping butt I don't care who does what.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nugget said:

Agreed. That isn’t news either. 

Tell that to Track & Field News the magazine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ate roasted chicken for dinner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Nugget said:

I ate roasted chicken for dinner. 

My cousin Mikey and I went to a Biker bar for tacos, the best tacos in the world. The owners wife is from TJ she speaks no English but man can she make some serious tacos. While munching down our tacos a big cat walked in bragging about how he could wipe anyone in the joint. Mikey hit him over the head with a  beer pitcher, knocked him out cold.

Great tacos.

Edited by ZenoRazon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Well when you know all about the SWAC/MEAC (black colleges) BET...TV, EBONY the magazine. Miss Black America, MoTown, and all those firsts by black athletes. entertainers, because.................you read all about it.  You get that people do care about this stuff so you accept that fact.  It's not......just ignore all that race stuff....at all and never has been.

Why do you still not get it?

It seems like you're so close too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chaka said:

Why do you still not get it?

It seems like you're so close too. 

Chaka, there is nothing to get, if you think there is you are wrong.  You don't appear to know anything at all about track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Chaka, there is nothing to get, if you think there is you are wrong.  You don't appear to know anything at all about track.

So, are you also the guy who wonders why white people aren't supposed to use the N-word?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Chaka said:

So, are you also the guy who wonders why white people aren't supposed to use the N-word?

Look, all this is about is sports, ok?  Anytime we see someone from a tiny country do something unusual...news.  A teenage girl turns in a WOW high jump....news.  A sprinter from Guam runs a sub10.00...news.  A white HS kid running a sub 10.00....BIG NEWS.

All that stuff you are trying to talk about simply has nothing to do with this at all, ok?  This is how we talk in the sports world.

Howard Drew was the first "Worlds Fastest Human"  back around 1914ish, he was the roots to the tree the first great black sprinter.  I bet if we Google Howard Drew we are told that, here we go.....

Howard Porter Drew (June 28, 1890 – February 19, 1957) was an American track and field athlete who competed in the 1912 Summer Olympics.

An inspirational African-American athlete, Drew was once considered the "world’s fastest man", known as the first great black sprinter, and went from being an Olympic track athlete to serving in World War I to becoming a judge in Hartford, Connecticut later in life.

Well I'll be damn, what do ya know.

Where someone is from, what race they are is HUGE in track and nobody plays this silly.....why talk race.....at all, we are  way above that silliness. YES we want to know the race, the country, the story.

Mike Agostini was a famous Trinidad sprinter in the 50's. What was unusual about this?

Edited by ZenoRazon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I' ll be damn,  It just hit me....WHAM!...this kid isn't the first white USA sprinter to break 10.00 IF going with windy times,  that was John Teeters in 2015 with a 9.91.  He is the fastest white American with a legal 10.00 and he is still competing.

Still a great run by a HS kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, you're that guy.

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Yeah, you're that guy.

You really don't get any of this do ya Chaka, totally lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

You really don't get any of this do ya Chaka, totally lost.

Perfectly clear, thanks for asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chaka said:

Perfectly clear, thanks for asking.

Chaka, you really are out of your element here, you really aren't getting any of this, ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Chaka, you really are out of your element here, you really aren't getting any of this, ok?

:coffee:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid has wings on his feet.  Good for him.  It's better than my best time in the 100, and my time was at 100 yards, not meters.  Yes I'm old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The race is featured on Sportscenter’s Facebook page. 1.4 million views, 14,000 likes and 6,000 shares. That’s pretty awesome coverage for a local high school track athlete. Fastest 100m dash in high school history. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And we still can't spell Motown right. Must be an expert. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bigbottom said:

The race is featured on Sportscenter’s Facebook page. 1.4 million views, 14,000 likes and 6,000 shares. That’s pretty awesome coverage for a local high school track athlete. Fastest 100m dash in high school history. 

If my Googling is correct ... Boling's time would've been a world record as recently as the early 1970s.

EDIT: More like late 1960s. The wind-aided vs not-wind-aided thing ... plus the hand-timed vs. auto-timed thing made the WRs at the time a little flexible.

Edited by Doug B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ZenoRazon said:

My cousin Mikey and I went to a Biker bar for tacos, the best tacos in the world. The owners wife is from TJ she speaks no English but man can she make some serious tacos. While munching down our tacos a big cat walked in bragging about how he could wipe anyone in the joint. Mikey hit him over the head with a  beer pitcher, knocked him out cold.

Great tacos.

When you can fart loud enough to make animals curious, let me know because you may be able to win some burritos.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigbottom said:

The race is featured on Sportscenter’s Facebook page. 1.4 million views, 14,000 likes and 6,000 shares. That’s pretty awesome coverage for a local high school track athlete. Fastest 100m dash in high school history. 

And his start was kinda slow/clumsy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this some really bad Studs & Duds wannabe alias?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ned said:

And his start was kinda slow/clumsy.

It was.  I did not catch that I was so enamored with his speed as he got upright.  His almost leaned back posture reminded me of who was it, Michaeal Johnson?  Imagine if the kid had a good start, he could have saved a tenth right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There is actually room for good discussion about sprinting in this thread. For instance:

Is sprinting the kind of sport in which elite high-schoolers can make significant improvement in their times between age ~18 to, say, ~22-23? Or even a little older than that?

Seeing Boling's run made me curious about how old Usain Bolt was when he first ran an official sub-10.0 at a meet. Might be able to Google that.

EDIT: Heard this during the last Olympics, but had forgotten: Bolt trained exclusively as a 200- and 400-meter sprinter until the 2007 Jamaican championships, a few months before he turned 21. His first official 100m time was 10.03. One year later, Bolt ran the 100m in 9.76, two-hundredths of a second off the world record. Less than a month after running 9.76, he ran a 9.72 to take over the 100m world record at age 21 years and 9 months.

Bolt set his standing world record of 9.58 ten days shy of his 23rd birthday.

Edited by Doug B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

It was.  I did not catch that I was so enamored with his speed as he got upright.  His almost leaned back posture reminded me of who was it, Michaeal Johnson?  Imagine if the kid had a good start, he could have saved a tenth right there.

Yup.  Michael Johnson is my all time fav  - I'll always remember his 1996 Olympics:wub:   19.32 blew my mind (200/400 were my events in HS).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Equivalent to a like a ~4.2 40 yard time. Nuts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ned said:

Yup.  Michael Johnson is my all time fav  - I'll always remember his 1996 Olympics:wub:   19.32 blew my mind (200/400 were my events in HS).

He just had such a distinctive and memorable style.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 11:45 AM, TheIronSheik said:

What's the fastest an Arab has ever run the 100m?  

Depends on the length of the fuse.     

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, E Street Brat said:

Depends on the length of the fuse.     

False.  We don't run from them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rockaction said:

Thanks for the thread. We all could have read Taboo or listened to our fathers or used "common sense" to draw conclusions as radical as you have. The problem is this:

  1. You have no idea how history will turn out
  2. You have no idea how to quantify social pressures or even address them
  3. You have no idea how to handle outliers from racial averages
  4. You have no idea how to use nuance and anything other than observation of artificial constructs and rules for drawing conclusions

It's really something more suited for fifth-grade discussion than serious discussion the way you go about it, but you'd have no idea about that. It was said not more than decades ago that whites and those of European descent would not play basketball at the level of blacks or those of West African descent, and yet it happens routinely these days. It took the social barriers to fall, like barriers to entry and participation, notably the European adoption of basketball as a primary sport in addition to soccer.

You can't tell that the lack of representation of blacks in baseball and hockey is anything but social barriers to entry when baseball was once very multiracial and integrated and proof of the similarity of the races regarding baseball's skill set.   

I coached football in Detroit when I got out of college for 5 year as an assistant to a guy I grew up with.  

The football team had a full varsity of 35-40 players, full JV and full freshman team. Same with the basketball team.  The HS baseball team could hardly field a squad, same with JV and did not have a freshman team. We had to pitch kids who never pitched before..it was ugly.

In the 60s and 70s Detroit had a talented HS baseball system that produced MLB players but eventually football and basketball just skyrocketed while baseball declined.  Right now baseball is almost non-existent in the city.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

 Right now baseball is almost non-existent in the city.

Yeah, there aren't the spaces to play it, nor are people willing to put in the maintenance required for fields and grass. Land costs are also prohibitive given the sport's popularity or lack thereof in the inner city. It's getting better, I think, given the makeup of major league teams these days, but it is nowhere near what it used to be. 

It doesn't mean, however, that there is a different genetic makeup that makes baseball more conducive to white players (not that you're saying anything remotely like that, I'm just piggybacking on what Zeno is arguing about track). That myth was exploded in the '70s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ZenoRazon said:

Well then you;d be 100% wrong.

Google....Hattie McDaneil, why do we need to know she was the first black to win an Oscar?

Why do we need to know about Willie Thrower at all? 

Why do we need to know Doug Williams was the first black QB to win a Superbowl?

Why do we need to know Joe Perry was the first black to have a 1000 yard NFL season?

Why do we have HBCU schools like Grambling?

Talk to me bout MoTown.

Why do we need to harmonica wizard DeFord Bailey was the first black to perform on the Grand Old Opry?

Google...Willie Thrower, what do you see?

Yes, we do care about this stuff, it's never what the hell we're all the same at all and never will be.

Fail. Joe Perry is the lead guitarist in Aerosmith and he's white! Boom! Roasted 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ZenoRazon said:

You really don't get any of this do ya Chaka, totally lost.

Nobody does  but you apparently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matthew Boling breaking the high school 100M record (albeit, wind-aided) has gone viral over the past day with numerous mainstream media outlets deeming it newsworthy.  One of those mainstream media outlets, CBS News, even noted Boling's nickname, White Lightning, in their headline.  Commenters of all races are also noticing the obvious -- Boling's race -- and are having a good time with it in their comments.  This is how normal view this feat, and there's nothing wrong with that.

CBS News

ESPN

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.