Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BassNBrew

2019 FBG Spring Survivor League Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, -OZ- said:

  curse @drunken slob for taking Anderson.  That was my last target

Sorry man, it was either some PK I haven't heard of or him. I have KJ in my dynasty league. My preference is that Anderson doesn't get more than 30% of the rush attempts in any week this season.  

:banned:

 

Edited by drunken slob
Read the original post, it was not good. Hopefully this one makes more sense
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2019 at 3:21 PM, nittanylion said:

1/3 of the way through...

Brees/9

Gurley/9, Ingram/8

Golladay/5, CDavis/11

Ebron/6

Already commented on the Gurley pick. I waited years for Ebron to fulfill his potential, and he's found himself in the Colts offense. Love the Colts pass offense this year, and he's in the upper end of my Tier 1 guys, which put him ahead of the remaining Tier 1 WR in my rankings, given the format. Receptions and TD aplenty, IMHO. Loved Golladay at 3.13 as WR19. Had a real debate on my hands at 4.04. Very excited about Ingram's prospects this year as Raven's multi-dimensional workhorse. Drafting a playmaking WR in Round 1 solidified Ingram in my rankings. Increased the room Ingram will have to operate in, IMHO, but drafting a 2nd RB 3 picks in was going to leave me in a precarious position at WR. RB's were drafted ahead of Ingram that I had him well in front of, just like with Golladay, and I had a small bucket of WR to hope would fall back to me 24 picks later. That worked out pretty well until the 4/5 turn, when Ref took both Mike Williams and Jarvis Landry, my 2 top remaining guys, since with Gurley on the Roster, I had to bump down Woods and Kupp due to Bye Week mgmt. WR's were pretty much all the same guy, IMHO, when it got back to me, and it sure looked like a QB run had started, so the opportunity to grab Brees, despite the bye conflict w/ Gurley was too much temptation to resist. Saints - Ingram + Jared Cook = uptick for Brees, IMHO, and as much as I'd prefer to wait on QB, I couldn't take the chance of getting caught on the wrong end of a run in 6pt/TD. Although only Winston went between me and 6.04, I don't think Brees would have made it back to me, and again, I have him ahead of some QB's taken before him, so, as far as I'm concerned, I'm still scooping value. What a 2018 for Corey Davis. Considering no Delanie Walker and Rishy Matthews, and coverages he saw, he matured pretty well. Like the offseason additions, even at QB. Competition may make the position stronger, and added weapons should loosen coverage. Don't mind landing him as a WR2 at that point in the draft at all. I'm quite optimistic at this point in the Draft.

I'm way behind on my write-ups. Life (and the 18-yr-old Dynasty League I run, which started as a 14-Teamer in 2001. grew to 16 in 2007, and which I'm now shepherding through a Contraction, returning to 14 Teams), have gotten in the way...

2/3 of the way through...

After 6.04, the next 24 picks went 5/2/9/8, severely depleting the WR and TE pool. Peyton Barber represented outstanding value to me as an RB3 here. The new regime apparently likes his work ethic/approach to the game. He appears to know what he is, and his running style shows self-awareness and generates results. It appears that he trained to impress the new coaching staff, and worked on his body to handle the workload he intended to earn, and it appears to have worked. I'm not high on the prospects of Ronald Jones. With no flex, Barber is going to have to earn his way into my full strength box score, but if Gurley's knee gets tricky, or Gurley/Ingram put up a dud, and during the bye weeks, I'm psyched to have him on the Team. After the turn, I saw a lot of similar guys at RB/WR/TE, and 3 more QB had been picked over the course of those 6 picks back to me, and I was quite surprised to see Cousins remaining, so again I went after what I perceived as value, closed out the position on my Roster, and decided to see how the chips would fall at the other positions after 24 more guys were selected, at a point where I held faint hope that maybe a PK, D/ST or two would contaminate the flow. Start 3 WR, no flex, I consigned myself to building a WR3BC after bypassing the position since 6.04. I love multidimensional guys like Curtis Samuel, and to get a guy like him at around the midway point of a 16-Teamer just screamed value to me. He's a legit WR3 (ranks in the 33-48 range) with the potential for weekly production spikes, so the committee approach was starting off better than I expected. Kid can do it all. We're all Presidents of more than a few fan clubs. Among mine is the Tyrell Williams fan club, and I lost him through the turn (nice pick, Sweet Love). That would have been a coup, but such things rarely happen in a room full of solid drafters. Fortunately, (for me, at least) I'm just as big a fan of (Hey) Geronimo Allison, who I believe will log the highest percentage of WR snaps for the Packers behind Davante Adams. It's a lonely hill on which to plant a flag at this time, but when August rolls around, I think it's going to get pretty crowded. The #2 WR for the Packers has immense fantasy upside, and as a piece of my WR3BC if he realizes #'s inside the top 48 (a very realistic projection for the Packers #2 WR). I'm singing 'Bombs Away!' Now, the truth of the matter is that I probably could have landed him at 11.13, but 24 picks is a long wait for a guy you like, in a position you need to address. So. Another long wait, with a bunch of guys I only had marginal interest in leaving the board. Then Bass and Holloway took defenses, and Crip took the 1st PK, my spider sense started to tingle 'run'. Busman grabbed Sanu right ahead of me, who would have at least given me pause. I could have waited until 12.04 and gotten the Ravens, but taking a position Player at 11.13 would have made me choose between PK and D/ST at 12.04, and in between my picks, 4PK and another D/ST moved, so at least I got one of each that I liked before any run shenanigans ensued, as Fairbairn rounded out the second 'third' of the Draft.

 

Brees/9, Cousins/12

Gurley/9, Ingram/8, PBarber/7

Golladay/5, CDavis/11, Samuel/7, Allison/11

Ebron/6

Fairbairn/10

Ravens/8

Final 'third' to follow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went with my top DST choice, the Green Bay Packers with my next to last pick since @BassnBrew did not get my second TE target. What was @Busman thinking grabbing a third TE? There went Brate so I settled for Everett as my #2. Draft complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stephen Holloway said:

Went with my top DST choice, the Green Bay Packers with my next to last pick since @BassnBrew did not get my second TE target. What was @Busman thinking grabbing a third TE? There went Brate so I settled for Everett as my #2. Draft complete.

I had been eyeballing Everett for a few rounds as I was thinking about adding him as a TE3 .....especially when I saw that you and Bass were still riding solo....thought maybe one of you were sitting on him and was thinking keep away.....almost pulled the trigger a few times and like him better then some of the options taken before him....to me snagging a piece of the Ram pie in this format is never a bad idea....I know Kupp will be back, but Everett should be on the field.....I think he is a solid TE2 in these leagues....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stinkin Ref said:

I had been eyeballing Everett for a few rounds as I was thinking about adding him as a TE3 .....especially when I saw that you and Bass were still riding solo....thought maybe one of you were sitting on him and was thinking keep away.....almost pulled the trigger a few times and like him better then some of the options taken before him....to me snagging a piece of the Ram pie in this format is never a bad idea....I know Kupp will be back, but Everett should be on the field.....I think he is a solid TE2 in these leagues....

Almost took Everett over Andrews. But I have him in a lot of leagues already. SOD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 12:47 PM, Sweet Love said:

@Stinkin Ref - Seriously?  You grabbed a third QB??  Thanks to @BassNBrew getting in your head, my plan to scoop the last QB has been dashed...well, time for me to do what great people do.  Think outside of the box.  And Bass, you are now on my crap list too (why is there no poop emoji?)...

So with only 18 roster spots and everybody else’s combo pretty solid and figuring they wouldn’t take a third, I was willing to play chicken with you for awhile....kept staring at Luck sitting there on your roster by himself wondering when you would pull the trigger....finally felt I had given you enough opportunities and I didn’t love anything else, so I took Rosen....but even at the time I was seriously considering Haskins instead since living in CO I have seen the Keenum movie and fully expect Haskins to start day one....but at the time of the Rosen pick the draft day trade was still fresh in my mind and figured Rosen already has a year under him and MIA will want to see what they got....and if Haskins stumbles in camp maybe Keenum does get some early starts and riding Murray is risky....wasn’t sure if you would have taken Rosen or Haskins, but then also decided with a Murray/Rosen combo I wasn’t real strong and Fitz is a much better QB in my mind then Keenum....so I didn’t want to gift wrap Haskins for you as well....so I pulled the trigger thinking it is a weak position for me, but now I have 3 options every week and hopefully I handicapped you and maybe help eliminate you if Luck has a bad week....I struggled with adding a third QB or a third TE (Everett) and I may regret that call, but I felt QB is a higher scoring position and might help me advance more throughout however long I last (which according to Bass won’t be long).....so as far as Bass getting in my grill, that wasn’t really an issue, he’s been paying rent and taking up space there for awhile now so I’m just used to it kinda like a fantasy wife or something...he’s just trying to bully me again in preparation for IBL.....I knew my QB situation wasn’t real strong so I addressed it at the expense of other spots.....and I gave you plenty of chances....will be fun to see if it helps send you home...:banned:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The final 3rd (Rounds 13-18):

Kickers flying off the board, left and right. D/ST, not so much...Gio Bernard is a player who's usage under Marvin Lewis both mystifies and vexes me, year in, year out. It seems as if every time he's given opportunity, he makes the most of it, but always finds himself playing second fiddle to someone when the cupboard is full. When Jay Gruden landed the Redskins gig, I was engaged in constant genuflecting to the football gods that a trade would be engineered that would give him the opportunity to be featured, but no. I'm enamored with the guy, and hope that a change of regime finds him utilized more. Joe Mixon is undeniably the bell cow there, but show a more than capable guy some well-deserved love, would you please? There's tremendous upside, if you do. TIA, will answer yours...that completed a quartet of RB I was pretty happy with, pending a roster decision down the road, and at the turn, it just seemed like the same group of Players I'd been looking at for the better part of the last 4 rounds, so I took my preferred PK, Gano, from the remaining available lot, crossed the position off my list, sat back and watched another 24 picks unfold...more of the same, always like the Broncos D/ST if the cost isn't out of line, cross it off, move on...geez, I only have one TE. My favorite TE, but only one nonetheless. However, the field had been pretty piss-poor since Rounds 6-7, so I didn't really miss any of the guys I'd bypassed while stocking up elsewhere. I liked what I saw of Swaim last year, and apparently the Jags did too. Although he's a Jag, I'll hope he's not a JAG, and that Ebron doesn't get hurt. With no Yeldon, and relatively little competition from the rest of the TE room, I can see Swaim paying dividends higher than his current #34 ppr TE ranking. Other than banging Fournette into the line repeatedly, what exactly do the Jags have in the way of a red zone alternative? TE still in play roster-wise with 2 selections remaining...there go the D/ST. Already have 2. Philip Dorsett, I've been staring at your name for days, it seems. You seem to have morphed into another Pats reclamation project. Did you really only post 34/290/3 last year? You are not Julian Edelman, N'Keal Harry, or Josh Gordon. You're kind of unique, though, and earned BB/TB's trust, which is big, and you had some big games, which could pop up at opportune moments, especially if Edelman gets knocked silly, or you usurp some Gronk production, given that the TE room looks comparable to the Jags. Given that I missed out on plenty of the kind of depth WR types that I like, I'll take a shot with you. Sure would have liked Hakeem Butler to have fallen a few more spots, though. Say, I don't have any Rookies to root for on this squad, and what the heck is a highlight-waiting-to-happen Diontae Johnson still doing in the green room? RB's? Nothing to write home about. TE? Considered Sternberger here, but saw Johnson's path to relevance a little more open, and the kid is flat-out exciting, and a better compliment to JJS-S than Washington, Moncrief or Rogers, IMHO. A fine player to grab in Round 18, and I think I can cobble together a respectable WR3 between Samuel/Allison/Dorsett/Johnson. I like my draft. Barring injury, and perhaps some bye week trouble, I think I've got a shot.

Brees/9, Cousins/12

Gurley/9, Ingram/8, PBarber/7, Bernard/9

Golladay/5, CDavis/11, Samuel/7, Allison/11, Dorsett/10 , Diontae Johnson/7

Ebron/6, Swaim/10

Fairbairn/10, Gano/7

Ravens/8, Broncos/10

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team Holloway 2019 SSL

 

1.8 RB LeVeon Bell (4) taken as RB6. Bell as everyone knows, has not played since the 2017 season and last year’s saga was long and ugly. He has finished as RB5 and RB 2 in his two most recent seasons played and although nobody is expecting the level of success that Bell had with the Steelers in New York, he undoubtedly will be featured in the offense, both running and receiving. He averaged 80 receptions in his two most recent seasons. Seems like a solid foundational pick at #8 overall. The early bye week is a plus.

2.9 Joe Mixon (9) taken as RB10 provides the second piece in a solid floor running back duo with Bell. Mixon was the primary positive for the Bengals a season ago with 1,464 total yards, 43 receptions and 9 total TDs. Taken close to expected production, but solidifies my RB position so that I can focus on others for many rounds.

3.8 Julian Edelman (10) taken as WR17 is another high floor ppr receiver taken at value. Edelman has averaged over six receptions per game over the past five seasons. With the departure of Gronkowski and Brady’s dwindling arm strength, expectations should be six catches per game at a minimum.

4.9 Tyler Lockett (11) taken as WR 20 has been the opposite of Edelman over his career. He has averaged just under 50 receptions per year, but also has averaged 14.3 yards per catch and scored a career high 10 TDs a year ago. Lockett should see a career high in targets and receptions, especially if Doug Baldwin retires. He is an excellent best ball WR with the potential for long yardage TDs at any point.

I was very pleased to salvage the WR position somewhat after beginning with back to back RB selections in the first two rounds. Bye week management is much more important in the SSLs with the reduced rosters and I had not duplicated any bye weeks in the first four picks.

5.8 QB Matt Ryan QB (9) taken as QB9 was solid value, but I much preferred to continue my WR depth strength by selecting Allen Robinson, but @BassnBrew took him one pick before me. Ryan has six top ten QB seasons out of his 11 NFL seasons and with the drafting of two offensive lineman early by the Falcons, seems well set to match last year’s career high of 35 TDs, and career low 7 Ints. He has passed for over 4,000 yards for the past eight seasons and had his second highest passing yards in 2018. This also duplicated the week 9 bye, so it added compromise by forcing me to generally avoid week 9 players.

6.9 Kyle Rudolph TE (12) taken as TE11. The narrative for Rudolph took a nosedive following the Vikings drafting Irv Smith, the rookie from Alabama. Trade rumors were around pre-draft, but they intensified after. Rudolph has been a steady for the Vikings, when healthy. His TDs dropped from 8 in 2017 down to 4, but he still caught 64 passes for 634 yards last season. Rookie tight ends occasionally take some time to catch on in the NFL, so perhaps the expectations dropped farther than they should have. Not a bargain at this price though, but I had waited quite a while to take my first tight end so I pulled the trigger.

7.8 Cam Newton QB (7) taken as QB 15. Again sniped by @BassnBrew as I was set to nab Lamar Miller as my third running back. However, Newton provided solid value here at QB15. He has finished in the top six in five of his eight NFL seasons and never lower than 17th, even when he missed a couple of games. Reports seem to be positive on him being fully healthy heading into the 2019 season.

8.9 Christian Kirk (12) taken as WR46. Kirk caught 43 passes for 590 yards as a rookie in only 12 games for the dismal Cardinal offense. Expectations are much higher for 2019 with the Cardinals new coach and quarterback leading the way. They did draft additional wide receivers, but Kirk could compete to be Murray’s top target. Happy to get him here, but now have doubled up at a second bye week and this one at the end of the bye week season.

9.8 DeSean Jackson (10) taken as WR 52 – Really good value pick as Jackson returns to Philadelphia to be Carson Wentz’ favorite deep target. Career 17.4 yards per catch with 53 total TDs is a nice best-ball combination. Jackson is not a high reception guy, with only one season over 63 catches, but he averages just under 4 catches per game and does a lot with his receptions. Downside is now I have two of my four WRs out on week 10.

10.9 Jerick McKinnon (4) taken as RB44 – Excellent receiver who averaged 47 catches per season in his last two years in Minnesota. He was a big free agent signing in San Francisco a year ago and should be completely recovered from his “pretty clean” ACL injury last pre-season. Yes, the 49ers signed Tevin Coleman, but McKinnon remains a good fit for this offense. Downside is now two of my three running backs have the same week 4 bye and I have doubled up on four weeks of the season.

11.8 Jacksonville DST (10) taken as the second defense, immediately after the Bears. Love the Jaguars defense for 2019. They added an excellent rusher in the draft and with their much improved quarterback play should not be placed in awful situations nearly as often. Downside is that I took them early and magnified the already poor bye week issues by now having three spots off on week 10.

12.9 Adam Vinatieri PK (6) taken as PK8, he has had an unbelievable career, but is not as highly ranked lately. He is still solid though and without injury will have a great floor as the kicker in the high flying Colts offense. I consider him much less likely to be cut and his addition was a good bye week fit.

13.8 Brett Maher PK (8) taken as PK16. Considered going solo at PK which I expect many to do, but decided to add another solid PK here and again spread out the bye weeks. At this point, I was confident in getting WRs the next few rounds that I value over their ADP to make the WR position a strength.

14.9 Jalen Richard RB (6) taken as RB56. Ridiculous value with Richard as the primary receiving RB in Oakland. He is coming off a career high 68 receptions and could also have the second most carries on the team. Was really excited to add Richard.

15.8 Taylor Gabriel WR (6) taken as WR84, another good value pick. Gabriel is coming off career highs in catches (67) and yards (688) and should remain a viable receiving threat for the Bears, who could see continued production growth for Trubiski. Although he was another week 6 bye, my trio there is my lowest ranking WR, lowest ranking RB and one of my two PKs. Thankful that @BassnBrew left him available.

16.9 Willie Snead WR (8) taken as WR88. Snead is the leading returning wide receiver for the Ravens. He is being vastly under-rated with the Ravens taking two rookie wide receivers in the draft. The son of a coach and a hard worked, Snead has caught over 60 passes in three if his four NFL seasons. He should continue to have a role and he had a non-conflicting bye week for me.

17.8 Green Bay Packers DST (11) taken as DST24. My choice of the remaining defenses with a reasonable fitting bye week.

18.7 Gerald Everett TE (9) taken as TE32. Nice to add a little assistance to my already weak tight end position. Had targeted Cameton Brate, who was @Busman’s pick earlier this round as his third tight end.

QBs – Ryan (7) and Newton (9) – I love this NFC South duo

RBs – Bell (4), Mixon (9), McKinnon (4) and Richard (6) – not league leaders, but solid if the team can get by week 4.

WRs – Edelman (10), Lockett (11), Kirk (12), Jackson (10), Gabriel (6) and Snead (8) – Expect top half of our league with these six, despite waiting till the third round, but week 10 might be an issue.

TEs – Rudolph (12) and Everett (9) – near bottom of the rankings here, but hoping Rudolph keeps his role or even better gets traded.

PKs – Vinatieri (6) and Maher (8) – I guess I look at this differently, but with fewer roster spots, I felt a greater need to secure a score here. PKs come and go so quickly these days.

DSTs – Jaguars (10) and Packers (11) – Got what I see as a top option, but wanted two here with the same reasoning as the kickers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another survivor draft in the books, another new strategy to evaluate ...

5.03 Deshaun Watson, QB3 HOU [10]
8.14 Sam Darnold, QB24 NYJ [4]

I'm liking this new Survivor League world where elite QBs are falling into the 5th round. Yes, in best-ball two baseline-level QBs will usually keep pace with a top-5 name, but the ability to wait and grab falling value at QB2 (or not) means a stud QB at this price is worth it. Watson's mobility gives him a solid floor and we've already seen his ceiling is #1 overall. Darnold was the last name on the board with even close to QB1 upside - plus it's always fun to jump the queue on Ref. I thought long and hard about the Darnold pick as had I passed on him, I most likely would've flown solo at QB, which would have been an interesting experiment.

1.03 Ezekiel Elliott, RB3 DAL [8]
10.14 D'Onta Foreman, RB45 HOU [10]
11.03 Matt Breida, RB47 SFO [4]
14.14 Ito Smith, RB57 ATL [9]
18.14 T.J. Yeldon, RB70 BUF [6]

"Zeke and a bunch of lottery tickets" is no kind of a foolproof plan, but hopefully in a start-2, no-flex format it won't cost me too many points to the field. Foreman might be the most talented backup RB in the NFL; if he's back to even 90% this year ... of course with his injury that's a huge "if" ... he could usurp the lead role with relative ease. Breida could go down Week 1 or could have the lion's share of the work as the last man hobbling standing. Both he and Foreman have above-average HR potential which is always a plus in a best-ball. Smith's getting very little love for being the RB2 in a top-half offense whose only competition is a 6th-round rookie. I'll take the gamble on a Coleman-lite role for him. Yeldon shares a backfield with two guys whose combined age on Week 1 will be 67. He should get the majority of the pass-game work and has upside beyond that.

2.14 T.Y. Hilton, WR11 IND [6]
3.03 Keenan Allen, WR14 LAC [12]
4.14 Chris Godwin, WR23 TBB [7]
9.03 Keke Coutee, WR49 HOU [10]
13.03 DaeSean Hamilton, WR69
(nice) DEN [10]
15.03 Albert Wilson, WR78 MIA [5]

Cutting back to 18-man rosters in the later SL's impacts WR depth the most as it's tough to go more than 5-6 deep. Fortunately with my top 3 I shouldn't need much depth. The Colts remain my dark-horse SB pick and Hilton should be good for a third or so of the 4,500+ yards I expect Luck to drop. Allen may cede RZ targets to Henry and Williams is a budding star, but as the league's best route-runner he'll eat regardless. Godwin just scratched the surface of his potential late last year ... with the ability to line up at all 3 WR positions he's got Fitz-esque fantasy upside in Arians' offense. Coutee's another upside play in a plus offense with stack potential to boot. Hamilton and Wilson are dart-throws in offenses I expect to struggle all season long, but even moderate positive regression for either QB could deliver nice value for them this late.

6.14 Vance McDonald, TE14 PIT [7]
7.03 Delanie Walker, TE17 TEN [11]

I got the same combo in the opposite order in PDSL but, even at this price, I can make the case that McDonald is being undervalued. The Steelers have a ton of targets to redistribute and I could see Vance going from last year's 72 to more like 110 - that's Ebron-like volume, and even Ebron fell into a top-5 TE season on that diet. Walker will have no choice but to be scripted back into a heavy role, because the Titans' pass game was so clearly adrift at sea without him ... all the same, I hate relying on low-wattage offenses in TE-premium leagues and would rather have had Goedert two full rounds later. Not an exciting combo, but should be average at worst.

12.14 Robbie Gould, PK12 SFO [4]
16.14 Cowboys, DST18 DAL [8]
17.03 Jets, DST22 NYJ [4]

One reliable kicker with an early bye. Two defenses with different byes. Basically all I care about.

Pretty sure this is the longest I've ever waited in these drafts to fill out my skill-position starters, as a result of which I'm very strong at QB/WR and should keep pace at TE. Zeke will probably make or break things for me. If he's in typical MVP-level form, I'm solid enough behind him that I should be in the mix. If he gets hurt or the Cowboys are 2019's version of the Cards, probably an early boot here.

Always a blast doing this with you folks, good pace in this draft. Good luck to all this year. :banned:

Edited by Mr. Irrelevant
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ref…....:banned:

6.15    Kyler Murray ARI QB13    12
13.02    Josh Rosen MIA QB31  5
17.02    Dwayne Haskins WAS QB32 10

Quantity over quality baby….yeah that’s right… 2 rookies and a second year guy….how do like them apples…good chance I got 3 starters week one….just need one score…air raid leading the way while the investment in numbers (3) seems pricey with only 18 roster spots, the investment round wise wasn’t huge here….I got caught getting a little greedy at the 8-9 turn thinking I would have more QB2 options available at the 10-11 turn….was thinking  Flacco/Dalton type would fall…no dice…in retrospect, might be better off it didn’t as maybe a Rosen/Haskins combo late outperforms one of those guys….plus it might help bounce Sweet Love….I think I’ll hang with the field here.

1.02    Christian McCaffrey  CAR RB2   7
2.15    Damien Williams  KCC RB14   12
8.15    Austin Ekeler LAC RB38    12
14.15  Chris Thompson WAS RB58 10

Going to lean heavily on CMAC and Williams…..but I feel good about it so only went 4 deep here….Ekeler IMO is a great type of RB in these leagues….he is going to get you something every week, and some weeks enough to score for you…plus he seems locked in to the #2 role should something happen to Gordon….with Ekeler having gone to high school with my kids and being able to have access to some insider scoop on things via snapchat, instagram, text, facebook, etc. I feel confident this will be his most productive year statistically….not real sure what to make of Thompson, hoping for that 3rd down/4 minute/2 minute role with some receptions…the NFL draft left me feeling good about Williams and he will make or break this unit…

3.02    Stefon Diggs  MIN WR13    12
4.15    Mike Williams LAC WR24   12
5.02    Jarvis Landry,  CLE WR27   7
9.02    Marquise Brown BAL WR48  8
11.02    DeVante Parker MIA WR63  5
15.02    Donte Moncrief PIT WR77  7

I’m pretty pumped about the first 4 even though Jackson sucks at QB….top 3 should see a healthy share of targets and TD’s….even if in a WR2 or WR1B role on their teams….I’m cool with where I was able to land those top 4….Parker, Parker, Parker….dude was for sure a goner, cut, bye bye see ya later…but no….HE agrees to a pay cut and gets resigned….new coaching staff and team must like something they see and maybe Parker would like the chance to prove them right and show some appreciation for the opportunity…..I like the smell of what is cooking there for some reason….Rosen or Fitz, doesn’t matter although seems like Fitz would make him better numbers wise….in the 11th round I’ll take one last shot at the physical dimensions, the talent, and the opportunity of a guy who is WR1 in the depth chart….so after the somewhat of a let down feeling with the Parker pick…along comes Moncrief still sitting there…dude landed in a top 5 type of possible destinations and situations….seriously there aren’t many better spots to go when you think about it…he finished WR54 last year (Bortles/Jags) and I got him at WR77….IMO, WR2 in PIT is his for the taking and there are a ton of targets to be had…Washington does not scare me off of Moncrief…and he is only (25)….enough said really…late steal IMO…this group won’t dazzle you with a big name, but I see some sneaky production here that keeps me easily in the mix….

7.02    T.J. Hockenson DET TE16 5    
10.15    Noah Fant DEN TE22     10

I’ve commented about the TE landscape a few times now…..I see no reason why these two won’t be on the field a ton and trip over themselves into production that keeps me in the mix at TE each week….both were drafted in the top 20….and those type of picks are expected to play immediately….thought about adding a third here several times, but then said screw it….let my rooks ham n egg it….
    
12.15    Giorgio Tavecchio ATL PK13 9    

Dudes a beast…13 of their 16 games including their first 9 are all in a dome…..:eek:.....hello solo here and probably the PK on all my home league teams this year….only part of team on week 9 bye….so other 17 are active…. to maybe help cover the lost points that week...  
    
16.15    Tennessee Titans DEF19 11    
18.15    Washington Redskins DEF30  10

Can’t believe I did it in May, but I did a little digging on 2019 NFL defense rankings….found a little thing on bleacher report that power ranked every NFL defense after the 2019 draft….with explanations, etc….so not just a ranking….a few surprises were in there including TEN as #5 (got em at 19) and Washington at #10 (got em at 30)…..hmmmmm….what does that mean…not #### really…not sure why I wasted my time....with this scoring system it’s the teams that get a few TD’s that separate themselves for the most part…we should look at that IMO…Kansas City had one of if not the worst "defenses" in the league but finished DST3...

Overall: lot of holes and risks combined with ignoring bye weeks….what could go wrong….if someone were to visit the forum for the first time, they would think this is my first rodeo…but I do have a goal….make it to week 12…I won’t make it past there if I get there, but I could leave a trail of carnage in my path….I could take some folks down with me…maybe I can win immunity for week 12….like I said before, this group is dangerous….not real good, but dangerous….

Random Draft Thoughts: I think Goff provided excellent value as QB12 in the 6th for Crippler….and Carr at the 8-9 turn for Norseman…I almost took him before Norseman cause I knew Norseman was going to go QB back to back there…probably should have done it and passed on one of Ekeler or most likely M. Brown…like Slob’s pick of Murray in mid fourth, was hoping he fell…finally somebody else took Penny, but I think Sweet Love will like that pick there…like Ballage and Henderson in the 13th….BSS could have a steal with Willimas in the 16th….he was on my radar….like Metcalf in th e8th to Ryheaps…and Williams to Sweet Love in the late 9th….something tells me Enunwa shouldn’t make it to the 14th in 16 teamer start 3….and I still have no clue what to make of fantasy TE’s this year....in my home leagues I really try to gain some points there, but not sure where they come from this year after the top 3….maybe it will be McDonald….enjoyed it again….good luck everybody….:banned:
 

Edited by Stinkin Ref
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2019 SSL - Team Norseman

i was that happy to have the first pick and then the long wait for pick #2, but it has been a while since I have had the first pick, so let’s make the best of it. Barkley seems to be the consensus first pick, and I didn’t want to take a huge risk at #1.

At the 2-3 turn Josh Jacobs had the highest upside of the remaining RBs IMO. He has the talent & opportunity to finish top 5-10. It is a reach, but I would probably do it again. However, I 🙂 the 🏨 with the selection of Watkins. All the news of T. Hill probable suspension, KC high powered offense, Mahoney slinging him the rock clouded my judgment and that potential made me distracted from who Sammy is. He hasn’t finished higher than 15th any year. He’s only played in more than 13 games twice. That’s a long way to say that I should have taken Diggs. Could Watkins meet has draft position (15th)? Not as likely as Diggs, but anything is possible in FF.

With only 2 QBs gone by the 4-5 turn, I gave serious consideration to taking one here. But after winning PDSL last year with Jimmy G and Case Keenum as my QBs, I figured that WR and/or TE were the direction I wanted to go. Nothing at TE stood out so I went with my two top ranked WRs, especially since we need to start 3.

i knew I couldn’t wait any longer to take a TE at 6-7 turn, but I missed out on Burton & McDonald. I settled for Jimmy Graham, who after his rookie season hasn’t finished outside of TE#4 except in his first season in Seattle and his first season in GBay. Let’s hope that continues. I looked at taking a QB here, but no one stood out to me, plus I figured with all the options left that at least one good choice would be there at the next turn, so I added to my WR corps Sam Darnold’s deep threat. He should count for me at least 5-6 times.At the 8-9 turn I knew I needed to take 2 QBs and was thrilled to get D. Carr. He finished 18th last year and this year he’s got AB to throw to, enough said. I also think N. Foles is a good value as the 26th QB off the board. In 2016 Jacksonville’s QB finished 7th in this league...

After going RB,RB to start the draft I had avoided the position long enough, so at the 10-11 turn I took another piece of the KC offense with C. Hyde, who is on his 4th team in 3 years. There should be enough in their offense to let him count for me a few times and maybe he could even get a few starts for KC. I needed to get another TE soon and the starter for Tom Brady is always a good place to look. Unfortunately, Ben Watson’s un-retirement could demote ASJ to second on the depth chart. Hope he can finally emerge in NE or they run a lot of 2 TE sets. I considered taking Watson with my last pick, and it may have been a better choice than a second K.

A kicker before all the safe options were gone was taken at the 12-13 and another WR on a good offense. Hopefully T. Ginn can hang on to the #2 spot in New Orleans. 

I was hoping to get MVS at the 14-15 turn but BnB swiped him from me so I settled for the high target option on a new team. Hopefully he continues to get the targets from M. Marriota. I did a good job spreading the bye weeks around except I missed on Alexander Mattison, as he and C. Hyde both have week 12 byes, not the best time to be down to 2 RB options. Mattison should get a good portion of the Vikings carries and if D. Cook gets hurt he could pick up the whole load. 

I got 2 defenses with different byes at the last turn, which should do good enough.

Mr. Irrelevant was a kicker. I considered Ben Watson or taking another WR, but settled on having a second option each week at K.

 

QB Carr (6), Foles (10)

RB Barkley (11), J. Jacobs (6), Hyde (12), Mattison (12)

WR Watkins (12), Jeffery (10), M. Jones (5), R. Anderson (4), Ginn (9), Humphries (11)

TE Graham (11), Seferian-Jenkins (10)

K Hauschka (6), Hopkins (10)

D Miami(5), Indy (6)

 

 

Edited by Norseman
put 2 posts together and fix the emojis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QB Carr (6), Foles (10)

RB Barkley (11), J. Jacobs (6), Hyde (12), Mattison (12)

WR Watkins (12), Jeffery (10), M. Jones (5), R. Anderson (4), Ginn (9), Humphries (11)

TE Graham (11), Seferian-Jenkins (10)

K Hauschka (6), Hopkins (10)

D Miami(5), Indy (6)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Stinkin Ref said:

Ref…....:banned:

 

It's different and I like it.

Other than the TEs. It's certainly possible they do well but rookie TEs are always risky.  Good value. I might like the team better with ASJ or Andrews instead of Fant. But then I'd have taken fant instead of Andrews in the 11th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QB:

Brissett, Jacoby IND QB

Luck, Andrew IND QB

RB:

Edmonds, Chase ARI RB

Jones, Aaron GBP RB

Montgomery, David CHI RB (R)

Penny, Rashaad SEA RB

Smallwood, Wendell PHI RB

WR:

Jones, Julio ATL WR

Jones, Zay BUF WR

Richardson, Paul WAS WR 

Sutton, Courtland DEN WR

Westbrook, Dede JAC WR

Williams, Tyrell OAK WR

TE:

Hurst, Hayden BAL TE

Kittle, George SFO TE

K:

Lutz, Wil NOS PK

Tucker, Justin BAL PK

DEF:

Vikings, Minnesota MIN Def

 

Well, here it is, in all it's glory - the worst team in the draft (likely big point getters in bold).  I have been doing these for years and my first six picks are always the same - 2/3 RBs, 3/4 WRs - I never have strayed from the "formula" and it has always served me well (I believe I won the SSL4 and SSL1 in successive years (many moons ago).  For giggles, I decided to mix it up and go QB and TE early.  I've seen people do this in drafts like this and in regular drafts, and I have no idea why they do it.  You are constantly playing catch-up, and there are slim pickings after you use two early picks on QB/TE.  

Outside of that, here are my general thoughts:

QB - As part of this strategy, I went with Luck early.  Not early for him, per se, but early on QB.  While it is nice to know you have strong production at the position, I passed on guys like Lindsay, Freeman and Ingram to get him.  Rivers and Cam went in the mid-7th.  Stinkin' Ref took a third QB, which messed with my strategy of waiting on that third one, and there was no guaranteed starter after that.  So I doubled down on the Cots QB position.  If Luck does go down, Brisset is a more than capable back up, so I don't lose on the position, but I miss out on QB during week 6, and I have to hope Luck is consistent.

RB - Just awful.  I have Aaron jones, who I actually expect to be good, and then a rookie, and a few backups - not PT guys, but back ups.  I have to hope Penny pushes Carson out.

WR - Not much better.  Julio is a #1, Courtland could rise to be a #2, but Williams is a bit of a wildcard, and I don't like anything after that - I bascially went with guys who can produce big games on the back end there.

TE - Probably my best spot.  Kittle is a beast, and Hurst should flourish in his second year (like most TEs).

Def - Just chose to go with one since I lack good depth elsewhere.  Def is a position to pun on in these leagues, as the delta for scoring is not as great as it is with kicker.

Kicker - Here is where I chose to shoot my shot.  We are picking in Spring, and a lot can happen between now and the season.  You cannot afford to go into this league without a kicker due to injury or loss of job...you just can't.  An entire Def cannot be cut, nor injured, so even if they suck, you will get point.  I took the first and third kickers, and started a run.  I will get the top score of two top scoring kickers.  I am great with that.

Curious if people agree with my assessments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 4:00 AM, nittanylion said:

The final 3rd (Rounds 13-18):

Kickers flying off the board, left and right. D/ST, not so much...Gio Bernard is a player who's usage under Marvin Lewis both mystifies and vexes me, year in, year out. It seems as if every time he's given opportunity, he makes the most of it, but always finds himself playing second fiddle to someone when the cupboard is full. When Jay Gruden landed the Redskins gig, I was engaged in constant genuflecting to the football gods that a trade would be engineered that would give him the opportunity to be featured, but no. I'm enamored with the guy, and hope that a change of regime finds him utilized more. Joe Mixon is undeniably the bell cow there, but show a more than capable guy some well-deserved love, would you please? There's tremendous upside, if you do. TIA, will answer yours...that completed a quartet of RB I was pretty happy with, pending a roster decision down the road, and at the turn, it just seemed like the same group of Players I'd been looking at for the better part of the last 4 rounds, so I took my preferred PK, Gano, from the remaining available lot, crossed the position off my list, sat back and watched another 24 picks unfold...more of the same, always like the Broncos D/ST if the cost isn't out of line, cross it off, move on...geez, I only have one TE. My favorite TE, but only one nonetheless. However, the field had been pretty piss-poor since Rounds 6-7, so I didn't really miss any of the guys I'd bypassed while stocking up elsewhere. I liked what I saw of Swaim last year, and apparently the Jags did too. Although he's a Jag, I'll hope he's not a JAG, and that Ebron doesn't get hurt. With no Yeldon, and relatively little competition from the rest of the TE room, I can see Swaim paying dividends higher than his current #34 ppr TE ranking. Other than banging Fournette into the line repeatedly, what exactly do the Jags have in the way of a red zone alternative? TE still in play roster-wise with 2 selections remaining...there go the D/ST. Already have 2. Philip Dorsett, I've been staring at your name for days, it seems. You seem to have morphed into another Pats reclamation project. Did you really only post 34/290/3 last year? You are not Julian Edelman, N'Keal Harry, or Josh Gordon. You're kind of unique, though, and earned BB/TB's trust, which is big, and you had some big games, which could pop up at opportune moments, especially if Edelman gets knocked silly, or you usurp some Gronk production, given that the TE room looks comparable to the Jags. Given that I missed out on plenty of the kind of depth WR types that I like, I'll take a shot with you. Sure would have liked Hakeem Butler to have fallen a few more spots, though. Say, I don't have any Rookies to root for on this squad, and what the heck is a highlight-waiting-to-happen Diontae Johnson still doing in the green room? RB's? Nothing to write home about. TE? Considered Sternberger here, but saw Johnson's path to relevance a little more open, and the kid is flat-out exciting, and a better compliment to JJS-S than Washington, Moncrief or Rogers, IMHO. A fine player to grab in Round 18, and I think I can cobble together a respectable WR3 between Samuel/Allison/Dorsett/Johnson. I like my draft. Barring injury, and perhaps some bye week trouble, I think I've got a shot.

Brees/9, Cousins/12

Gurley/9, Ingram/8, PBarber/7, Bernard/9

Golladay/5, CDavis/11, Samuel/7, Allison/11, Dorsett/10 , Diontae Johnson/7

Ebron/6, Swaim/10

Fairbairn/10, Gano/7

Ravens/8, Broncos/10

 

Probably one of the best balanced teams.  You may have gotten the best value at QB of anyone in the draft.  Gurley was a steal and Ingram was cheap based on earlier drafts. Not a fan of Barber, but Bernard was a huge value and someone I considered a couple of times.  I personally feel like your WRs are weak at the top, but love the Samuel/Allison combo.  If Cam's arm is alright, Samuel is a BB home run and Allison is way undervalued this year.  Dorsett is a boom/bust pick.  I don't know who Deontae is.  Enron will be a stud for you.  Interesting that you didn't pay a price for taking a TE early elsewhere.  K and D will be above average.

I agree with you assessment that you should be a contender.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sweet Love said:

QB:

Brissett, Jacoby IND QB

Luck, Andrew IND QB

RB:

Edmonds, Chase ARI RB

Jones, Aaron GBP RB

Montgomery, David CHI RB (R)

Penny, Rashaad SEA RB

Smallwood, Wendell PHI RB

WR:

Jones, Julio ATL WR

Jones, Zay BUF WR

Richardson, Paul WAS WR 

Sutton, Courtland DEN WR

Westbrook, Dede JAC WR

Williams, Tyrell OAK WR

TE:

Hurst, Hayden BAL TE

Kittle, George SFO TE

K:

Lutz, Wil NOS PK

Tucker, Justin BAL PK

DEF:

Vikings, Minnesota MIN Def

 

Well, here it is, in all it's glory - the worst team in the draft (likely big point getters in bold).  I have been doing these for years and my first six picks are always the same - 2/3 RBs, 3/4 WRs - I never have strayed from the "formula" and it has always served me well (I believe I won the SSL4 and SSL1 in successive years (many moons ago).  For giggles, I decided to mix it up and go QB and TE early.  I've seen people do this in drafts like this and in regular drafts, and I have no idea why they do it.  You are constantly playing catch-up, and there are slim pickings after you use two early picks on QB/TE.  

Outside of that, here are my general thoughts:

QB - As part of this strategy, I went with Luck early.  Not early for him, per se, but early on QB.  While it is nice to know you have strong production at the position, I passed on guys like Lindsay, Freeman and Ingram to get him.  Rivers and Cam went in the mid-7th.  Stinkin' Ref took a third QB, which messed with my strategy of waiting on that third one, and there was no guaranteed starter after that.  So I doubled down on the Cots QB position.  If Luck does go down, Brisset is a more than capable back up, so I don't lose on the position, but I miss out on QB during week 6, and I have to hope Luck is consistent.

RB - Just awful.  I have Aaron jones, who I actually expect to be good, and then a rookie, and a few backups - not PT guys, but back ups.  I have to hope Penny pushes Carson out.

WR - Not much better.  Julio is a #1, Courtland could rise to be a #2, but Williams is a bit of a wildcard, and I don't like anything after that - I bascially went with guys who can produce big games on the back end there.

TE - Probably my best spot.  Kittle is a beast, and Hurst should flourish in his second year (like most TEs).

Def - Just chose to go with one since I lack good depth elsewhere.  Def is a position to pun on in these leagues, as the delta for scoring is not as great as it is with kicker.

Kicker - Here is where I chose to shoot my shot.  We are picking in Spring, and a lot can happen between now and the season.  You cannot afford to go into this league without a kicker due to injury or loss of job...you just can't.  An entire Def cannot be cut, nor injured, so even if they suck, you will get point.  I took the first and third kickers, and started a run.  I will get the top score of two top scoring kickers.  I am great with that.

Curious if people agree with my assessments.

One of my title wins was Ben and his backup.  Last year I went to the title game having only taken Ryan.  I like this approach.

Jones was a value at RB and that should save you.  Montgomery didn't offer value there IMO and I think Penny was a better pick 4 rounds later.  You'll be fine here

WR is looking thin to me.  Not a Sutton fan and too many guys on teams with bad QBs to have much upside.

TE will be a strength.

I think you got K and D backwards.  Tucker and Lutz finished 2nd and 4th last year.  Lutz would have added 33 pts (15 in one bye week).  Tucker would have added 41 points.  The Rams would have added 84 pts to Minn D last year.

When I first looked at your team I thought to myself that it looked really bad.  When I break it down by position, it actually stacks up pretty well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sweet Love said:

 

TE - Probably my best spot.  Kittle is a beast, and Hurst should flourish in his second year (like most TEs).

 

this kind of stood out to me and curious about some comments maybe from you @Sweet Love ...and @-OZ-.....as one of you took Hurst and one took Andrews...

you both kind of seemed to think your guy is the guy...so just curious....

bedsides the fact that Jackson may be the worst passing QB in the league (unless you get points for balls thrown into the ground or air mailed).....these two guys actually sit like 2 and 3 on the TE depth chart right now in BAL....BAL just resigned the "other TE" Nick Boyle to a 3 year $18 million contract.....and Boyle is the best blocker of the bunch and will probably be on the field the most since running is the focus of the offense....I realize the other guys may see the field in for sure passing situations, but those aren't necessarily the best time for Jackson to actually showcase his passing (ahem) skills.....would think early play action is best....anyway...I'll hangup and listen but it seems like there were some better options out there at that point of the draft that may have offered more opportunities for fantasy points....Eifert. Ian Thomas, Gesicki, Brate, Everett....

Edited by Stinkin Ref

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stinkin Ref said:

this kind of stood out to me and curious about some comments maybe from you @Sweet Love ...and @-OZ-.....as one of you took Hurst and one took Andrews...

you both kind of seemed to think your guy is the guy...so just curious....

bedsides the fact that Jackson may be the worst passing QB in the league (unless you get points for balls thrown into the ground or air mailed).....these two guys actually sit like 2 and 3 on the TE depth chart right now in BAL....BAL just resigned the "other TE" Nick Boyle to a 3 year $18 million contract.....and Boyle is the best blocker of the bunch and will probably be on the field the most since running is the focus of the offense....I realize the other guys may see the field in for sure passing situations, but those aren't necessarily the best time for Jackson to actually showcase his passing (ahem) skills.....would think early play action is best....anyway...I'll hangup and listen but it seems like there were some better options out there at that point of the draft that may have offered more opportunities for fantasy points....Eifert. Ian Thomas, Gesicki, Brate, Everett....

Hurst is somewhat of a concern, but Andrews is Lamar's best returning receiver, they were fairly successful together last year, and with Herndon going to miss the first month of the season, that was a priority over later in the year.  

I think Andrews will score the most points on that offense, other than Jackson and probably Ingram. 

I was really hoping Reed would fall to my 10.11, I almost took him over Hines. 

I disagree pretty strongly with any of those guys being a better option than Andrews, although if eifert stays on the field he could be - but that rarely happens. As talented as he is, he only has one year with more yardage than Andrews had as a rookie.  Gesicki would be my second choice there, but with the first month being a priority, it wasn't particularly close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stinkin Ref said:

this kind of stood out to me and curious about some comments maybe from you @Sweet Love ...and @-OZ-.....as one of you took Hurst and one took Andrews...

you both kind of seemed to think your guy is the guy...so just curious....

bedsides the fact that Jackson may be the worst passing QB in the league (unless you get points for balls thrown into the ground or air mailed).....these two guys actually sit like 2 and 3 on the TE depth chart right now in BAL....BAL just resigned the "other TE" Nick Boyle to a 3 year $18 million contract.....and Boyle is the best blocker of the bunch and will probably be on the field the most since running is the focus of the offense....I realize the other guys may see the field in for sure passing situations, but those aren't necessarily the best time for Jackson to actually showcase his passing (ahem) skills.....would think early play action is best....anyway...I'll hangup and listen but it seems like there were some better options out there at that point of the draft that may have offered more opportunities for fantasy points....Eifert. Ian Thomas, Gesicki, Brate, Everett....

I went with the fact that they spent a first rounder on Hurst last year, and he started the year injured.  I think that is the point with Jackson; his inaccuracies will force him to throw shorter distances.  I realize Andrews had the better year, but Hurst will get his shot...no question.  According to FBGs, Boyle is third on the depth chart...with 652 plays last year, he was on the field almost as much as Hurst and Andrews, yest had 40 less targets than the two combined.  They definitely spread the ball, but I really believe it is a two-man race between Andrews and Hurst, with literally nothing to worry about from the WRs in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Sweet Love said:

I went with the fact that they spent a first rounder on Hurst last year, and he started the year injured.  I think that is the point with Jackson; his inaccuracies will force him to throw shorter distances.  I realize Andrews had the better year, but Hurst will get his shot...no question.  According to FBGs, Boyle is third on the depth chart...with 652 plays last year, he was on the field almost as much as Hurst and Andrews, yest had 40 less targets than the two combined.  They definitely spread the ball, but I really believe it is a two-man race between Andrews and Hurst, with literally nothing to worry about from the WRs in 2019.

You mean like the WR Ref drafted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.