What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alexander Mattison, LV (1 Viewer)

Coach Mike Zimmer said Vikings third-round RB Alexander Mattison has shown "great maturity."

Mattison is a big, bruising back who is expected to take over the Latavius Murray role as backup to Dalvin Cook. Last year at Boise State, Mattison carried the rock 302 times and had 27 receptions, so he has some fantasy upside purely as a late-round handcuff given his three-down skill set.

SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter

Aug 2, 2019, 11:07 AM ET

Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph thankful being among seven getting a ‘vet day’

–Kubiak is impressed with rookie running back Alexander Mattison. “Matt handles himself like a vet,’’ he said. “He’s a very mature kid. He’s very fortunate that he’s watching the guy ahead of him (starter Dalvin Cook). … We’re asking a lot of him and so far, he’s made a lot of progress.’’
From what I have seen of Mattison so far he seems quicker and more svelte than he looked in college. Maybe it is just because the pro players on the Vikings are so much bigger across the board? Anyhow he has shown some good footwork and more quickness than I expected.

these are the guys you wish were in subscriber contest.

:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexander Mattison went for 30 yards on nine carries while securing one-of-two targets for a one-yard touchdown Friday in the Vikings’ preseason opener against New Orleans.

It was a workmanlike effort for the rookie, who maxed out with a long run of eight yards in his debut. With bell-cow Dalvin Cook getting the night off, Mattison saw extensive work with the Vikings’ first-team offense. Even if he didn’t take full advantage of the opportunity, the reps still served as valuable experience for the 21-year-old, who got Minnesota on the board early with a one-yard receiving touchdown off a play-action pass from Kirk Cousins. Like most rookies, Mattison is far from a finished product, but that shouldn’t stop him from asserting himself as the Vikings’ clear No. 2 back.

Aug 9, 2019, 11:17 PM ET

The Athletic's Jay Glazer reports the Vikings can't stop "raving about" third-round RB Alexander Mattison at camp.

"The Vikings have a rookie RB named Alexander Mattison who they were all raving about when I stopped by their camp," Glazer writes. "I mean, to a man, couldn’t stop preaching his gospel." Mike Boone has torn up the preseason for the second straight year, notching 111 yards on 22 touches through Minnesota's first two games, but Mattison (19/71) has clearly been used ahead of the former in both contests. Much like Latavius Murray's situation with the Vikings last year, Mattison is both the direct handcuff to Dalvin Cook and continues to have late-round standalone value as fantasy's current RB57.

Alexander Mattison rushed seven times for 18 yards in Minnesota's Week 7 win over the Lions.

Mattison's largest contribution was falling on a fumble from Stefon Diggs (7/142) to ensure the Vikings didn't turn the ball over mid-second quarter. As usual in competitive games, Dalvin Cook (25/142/2) rumbled ahead of Mattison to the point of no return. The rookie remains fantasy's top handcuff to roster heading into Minnesota's Week 8 matchup against Washington.

Oct 20, 2019, 6:07 PM ET

Alexander Mattison rushed 13 times for 61 yards in the Vikings' Week 8 win over the Redskins, adding two catches for three additional yards.

Tasked with closing out a brisk, run-established affair, Mattison could have had a much bigger statline but lost an absurd 3/40 to Vikings penalties. Mattison continues to look like one of the most valuable handcuffs in all of fantasy football. Mattison would win leagues were Dalvin Cook to go down with injury. With garbage time unlikely to be a thing for next week's road trip to Kansas City, Mattison will lack FLEX appeal.

Like the way he looks for sure and he may be a kingmaker for non-Cook owners in event of an injury. 

Cook owners who have him should expect some drop-off in the event of the worst.

Mattison looks good, Cook looks special.

Been trying to get mattison from the guy who’s had him the last 5-6 weeks. Won’t take something reasonable, wants “max” value. I told him I’m the only one who will pay anything for him. Still nope

Been trying to get mattison from the guy who’s had him the last 5-6 weeks. Won’t take something reasonable, wants “max” value. I told him I’m the only one who will pay anything for him. Still nope
No one wants bench fodder for the top handcuff in the league.

He probably ran for damn near 100 last night if it were not for penalties that stat line would look a bit more solid.  Anyone know off the top of their head what Cook's contract looks like?

Just looked it up....UFA 2021

A few weeks ago I traded

Marvin Jones, Jamison Crowder, and a 2020 3rd

for

Mattison and Gesicki 

I was deep at WR.  As a Cook owner I thought having Mattison was a must.  And I’m still a believer in Gesicki even on that craptastic Miami team. 

edited to add... 12 team ppr, TE premium league

I would rather have Mattison than McLaurin. Chark is interesting. 
The Mattison owner might be considering trading me for Chark.  But it was hard to understand what he was saying exactly because his tongue was so far up Mattison's rectum everything he said was mostly unintelligible.

The Cook owner hasnt approached me once about getting his handcuff. So far its working out for him. Not that Im rooting for injuries or anything. I agree with the guy above, Cook is special but Mattison runs hard and would put up RB1 numbers in this offense.

To be honest, I was scratching my head a bit when the Vikings took him in the third round...but I'm VERY happy to admit that I was wrong about this guy. So much more explosive than I thought he was coming out of college - plus has short yardage power.

Alexander Mattison handled eight carries for 52 yards in Minnesota's Week 10 win over the Cowboys.

Mattison played his usual role behind Dalvin Cook (26/97/1) for the second straight week, seeing the field on merely 14-of-76 offensive snaps. Mattison's role has shown its true colors with Minnesota engulfed in competitive game scripts in their last two contests, shoe-horning the rookie into a true handcuff spot on just 13.5 percent of the team's snaps in that span. He's a league-winning backup if Cook ever goes down.

Nov 11, 2019, 2:40 PM ET

Kid runs with more furry and more purpose than I had anticipated.  Solid backup and serviceable spot starter, and who knows, maybe more.  Two weeks in a row he caught my eye, and I do not follow the Vikes except as a division rival.  Even as a casual observer you can't help but notice him.

how does Cook's contract work? his rookie contract would technically expire after 2020, but does the first year even count? if it still expires 2020, Minnesota front office gonna look like geniuses having landed Mattison to take away some of the leverage from Cook. Though, with what he's shown so far, can Minnesota not make Cook their centerpiece for the next few years? Mattison looks great so far in the limited touches so very curious how this works out in the off season if Cook finishes out the season healthy.

Kid runs with more furry and more purpose than I had anticipated.  Solid backup and serviceable spot starter, and who knows, maybe more.  Two weeks in a row he caught my eye, and I do not follow the Vikes except as a division rival.  Even as a casual observer you can't help but notice him.
I don’t think his long hairstyle has a meaningfully beneficial impact on his velocity or his power output.

(Sorry...your posts are usually sufficiently erudite that catching you in a typo is notable.)

how does Cook's contract work? his rookie contract would technically expire after 2020, but does the first year even count? if it still expires 2020, Minnesota front office gonna look like geniuses having landed Mattison to take away some of the leverage from Cook. Though, with what he's shown so far, can Minnesota not make Cook their centerpiece for the next few years? Mattison looks great so far in the limited touches so very curious how this works out in the off season if Cook finishes out the season healthy.
*Melvin Gordon and Austin Ekeler have entered the room*

- Yeah, I don't think it works that way.  Cook is going to command a bunch of money and Mattison could be the insurance that a Cook departure won't leave them with their pants down.

What he does in his own time is his business, NTTIAWWT

Alexander Mattison rushed four times for 22 yards and caught 4-of-5 targets for 51 yards in the Vikings' 37-30, Week 13 loss to the Seahawks Monday night.

Dalvin Cook injured his shoulder early in the third quarter, went to the locker room, returned to the sideline, but never re-entered the game. It put Mattison in an every-down role, but with the Vikings chasing points and trailing by double digits much of the second half, the rookie didn't get many carries. He was making waves in the passing game, however. If Cook is unable to play Week 14 at home against the Lions, Mattison will be an RB1 with a 20-touch floor.

If he’s somehow available spend every last dollar on him.
FWIW, Cook said after the game that he’s playing next week and could of returned. As a Mattison owner, I hope the Vikes give him a week off and let the rookie run roughshod over that anemic Lions D. Cook has had shoulder issues before, so there is a strong likelihood of reinjury. 

If Cook "could have returned" he would have returned. That was a winnable game for a team fighting for a playoff spot. He also looked extremely pensive in his post game interview. Regardless of what you believe, if Mattison is available, 100% FAAB easy.

The Vikings might decide to rest Cook for a week even if it is a minor injury.  They don't need Cook to beat the Lions.  Cook could use the rest even without the injury.  The Vikings' coaching staff and front office must be as curious as we are with what Mattison would do in a featured role.  Please Baby Jesus!

In the one league I didn't get a bye my rbs are Henry, Gordon, and Jacobs. If Cook misses I'm not sure I can even play Mattison.

The Vikings might decide to rest Cook for a week even if it is a minor injury.  They don't need Cook to beat the Lions.  Cook could use the rest even without the injury.  The Vikings' coaching staff and front office must be as curious as we are with what Mattison would do in a featured role.  Please Baby Jesus!
I’ve had this kid at the end of my bench in all 3 leagues for pretty much the whole season 

I’ll 2nd that Please Baby Jesus :lol:

I am thinking of starting him over Jacobs and his fractured shoulder. If cook is out I will for sure but ....

Alexander Mattison chipped in with 46 yards on 14 carries while also pulling in two catches for 18 yards on two targets Sunday in the Vikings’ Week 14 win over the Lions.

Conscious of Dalvin Cook's injured shoulder, the Vikings gave Mattison free reign in the fourth quarter, allowing the rookie to set a career-high with 16 touches. The Vikings could afford to give Cook a breather in Sunday's blowout, though obviously that won't be the case every week. Already among the sport's steadier handcuffs, Mattison should occupy an important change-of-pace role next week against the Chargers.

Alexander Mattison (ankle) did not participate in practice Wednesday.

Mattison said he'll be ready to go for Sunday against the Chargers, but the rookie will need to get in a limited practice this week to assure that happens. With Dalvin Cook (chest) feeling "healthy" and practicing in full, Mattison will be a change-of-pace back in Week 15.

SOURCE: Vikings on Twitter

Dec 11, 2019, 6:13 PM ET

Already ruled out.

Does anyone know the severity of this ankle injury?

I've been holding Mattison all year waiting for the inevitable Cook injury which has never taken place. If he's this banged up now and ruled out he'd be tough to trust next week anyway.

Thinking of dumping him. I've got opponents to block.

I dropped him, too. I'll worry about Week 16 if my M*A*S*H unit gets there. Until then, it's play for this week and this week only.  

Already ruled out.

Does anyone know the severity of this ankle injury?

I've been holding Mattison all year waiting for the inevitable Cook injury which has never taken place. If he's this banged up now and ruled out he'd be tough to trust next week anyway.

Thinking of dumping him. I've got opponents to block.
I don't know how serious Mattisons injury is. Serious enough that he has to miss this game.

Mike Boone will be active instead. Dalvin Cook talking him up this week.

Mattison, a rookie from Boise State, has 462 yards rushing as the backup to Dalvin Cook. But Cook has full confidence in second-year player Mike Boone taking his place.

“I’m expecting big things from Boone, and he knows that, so he’s been locked into the game plan,” Cook said. “He’s ready to go, no doubt about it. … I’m ready to see him light it up. … (Boone) coming in and trying to spell me, he brings that same thing to the table, so there’s no drop-off.” Link

Users who are viewing this thread