What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alexander Mattison, LV (1 Viewer)

Dropping him for who? 

Every league is different but I'm very curious who is available on any wire at this point that anyone would actually consider starting?

ETA: Boone is the only guy I'd consider. It's the reason people have held onto Mattison all year. He may not be as good but if Cook and Mattison are down at the same time I think it's Boone's show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Boone is as good a play as Mattison was last week.

Cook has practiced in full and may get more snaps because of being fully recovered from the injury now.

The Vikings are not at home and the Chargers are playing Rivers not a back up QB. No reason to think that the back up RB gets more snaps than usual like last week because of a early sustainable lead.

Boone has a lot of speed though. If your desperate to put in somebody there.

Dropping him for who? 

Every league is different but I'm very curious who is available on any wire at this point that anyone would actually consider starting?

ETA: Boone is the only guy I'd consider. It's the reason people have held onto Mattison all year. He may not be as good but if Cook and Mattison are down at the same time I think it's Boone's show.
With Mattison out this week, I wouldn't start him next week regardless.

In any decent league there aren't any good starting options on the wire, but there are plenty of blocking moves to make.

In any decent league there aren't any good starting options on the wire, but there are plenty of blocking moves to make.
Exactly.

Been holding out hope but now there's no way he's in my lineup next week.

Decided to pick up INDY D (vs CAR) to block my opponent next week.

If Dalvin gets injured you wouldn't consider Mattison if he practiced all week? Or Boone if Mattison is limited/out?

If there are no good starting options are there really any good blocking options? 

Any updates on Mattison’s assumed HAS injury?

Haven’t  heard anything since Sunday M, but was hoping someone closer to the situation might have some insight

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/50161/alexander-mattison

Coach Mike Zimmer said Alexander Mattison (ankle) has a "good chance" to suit up Monday night against the Packers.

Zimmer should not be taken at his word. He's continuously downplayed injury news for the likes of Adam Thielen and Dalvin Cook this season, making the latest update on Mattison worth next to nothing. Reports have indicated Cook won't suit up on Monday night, meaning Mike Boone and Ameer Abdullah would form a two-back committee if the Vikings are without their top-two RBs.

SOURCE: Courtney Cronin on Twitter

Dec 19, 2019, 11:34 AM ET

I take anything Zimmer says with extreme skepticism. I’ll check the practice reports for the real story. 

if Mattison fails to log a single practice, even limited, I’m assuming he’s out.

I wonder the % of folks that have Boone and Mattison rostered. 
I have Boone only, making it slightly riskier.
But high ankle sprains take 4-6 weeks to heal, sometimes longer. 

mattison has missed one (1) game. That would be the fastest healing high ankle sprain in history. 

not saying it’s impossible, but color me skeptical. 

icehouse said:
I wonder the % of folks that have Boone and Mattison rostered. 
I've got both, but would still be concerned rolling into Monday night without Cook being ruled out. Not sure I could do it.

Hell, not even sure I can do it if Cook is ruled out. Could see Mattison and Boone split carries. Would kill me to see my alternative (D. Washington) already rip it up on Sunday.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I have Boone only, making it slightly riskier.
But high ankle sprains take 4-6 weeks to heal, sometimes longer. 

mattison has missed one (1) game. That would be the fastest healing high ankle sprain in history. 

not saying it’s impossible, but color me skeptical. 
But we don't really know what type of ankle sprain Mattison has, do we? Was it announced as a HAS?  I wish MN would be a little more up front about these injuries.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/50161/alexander-mattison

Alexander Mattison (ankle) was cleared for individual drills at Saturday's practice.

He'll likely be listed as limited. It's a step in the right direction for Mattison, who's shaping up as a game-time decision. With Dalvin Cook not expected to play, the Vikings may try to push Mattison at less than 100 percent.

SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter

Dec 21, 2019, 12:33 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Alexander Mattison (questionable, ankle) is not expected to play Week 16 against the Packers.

Now assured of a playoff spot (San Francisco eliminated the Rams with Saturday's victory), there's no reason for Mattison to push it at less than 100 percent. Schefter confirms it will be the Mike Boone Show when the Vikings renew their long-standing rivalry with Green Bay Monday in Minneapolis. Slated for workhorse usage against a Packers defense that has allowed the ninth-most rushing yards per game, Boone checks all the RB2 boxes for Week 16.

RELATED: 

Mike Boone

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 22, 2019, 9:12 AM ET

Dalvin Cook would be insane to not "opt out" of playing this year at his current salary. 

Lots of leverage to be had telling the Vikings his current contract isn't worth risking Covid but a different one might be, regardless of what his actual position on that is. 

The Athletic's Arif Hasan reports Alexander Mattison is "taking the bulk of the first-team duties" with Dalvin Cook watching.

Cook and the Vikings are in the middle of contract negotiations, so Mattison has received more run with the first team to begin training camp. If Cook keeps his word and doesn't hold out into the season, Mattison only has insurance value for fantasy purposes, but it's a nice note that Mattison is only "occasionally switching with Ameer Abdullah" with the first team. Given Cook's contract and shoulder injuries, Mattison is arguably the most valuable pure insurance back in fantasy. He's an upside play early in the double-digit rounds, especially with Hasan noting that Mattison "may have added speed" this offseason.

RELATED: 

Mike Boone

, Ameer Abdullah

, Dalvin Cook

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 18, 2020, 6:24 PM ET

Alexander Mattison rushed six times for 50 yards and caught all four of his targets for 30 yards in the Vikings' Week 1 loss to the Packers.

Mattison will get his customary 8-10 touches per week behind Dalvin Cook, giving him some FLEX appeal in deeper leagues, but his true value is as an elite handcuff. Mattison would be a true league-winning option should Cook ever go down with an injury.

- Rotoworld

Alexander Mattison rushed three times for 13 yards in the Vikings' Week 2 loss to the Colts, adding a three-yard reception. 

That's six fewer touches than Mattison saw in Week 1. The Vikings' game flow wasn't any better this week, but unlike Week 1, they couldn't even get anything going in garbage time. Mattison is elite Dalvin Cook insurance, but he will lack for standalone value more weeks than not. 

- Rotoworld
Really odd, they didn't run Cook or Mattison much. Not many screens either.

Alexander Mattison rushed 20 times for 112 yards in Week 5 against Seattle.

Mattison was the Vikings' lead back in the second half after Dalvin Cook left with a groin injury. He had some splash runs and set a career high in yards, but Mattison couldn’t convert a fourth-and-1 late in the game that let the Seahawks pull off a comeback. Cook briefly returned for one play, a sign that he could be ready for Week 6. Mattison would be a plug-in RB2 if Cook misses time.

Oct 11, 2020, 11:55 PM ET

He should have a great opp to show what he can do over the next few weeks as I expect Cook to possibly miss a few games. 
He came back in the game which suggests it may not take long for him to recover.

They gave him some treatment and cleared him to go back on the field. So it wasn't something they were concerned about him reinjuring. Obviously the pain Cook felt was too much to finish the game though.

He came back in the game which suggests it may not take long for him to recover.

They gave him some treatment and cleared him to go back on the field. So it wasn't something they were concerned about him reinjuring. Obviously the pain Cook felt was too much to finish the game though.
They drop to 1-4 and really fade with so many questions coming like what they do with Cousins, do you trade him to Dallas? Is he better than Dalton in actuality? Just questions

Do you really need tp push Cook now?

They drop to 1-4 and really fade with so many questions coming like what they do with Cousins, do you trade him to Dallas? Is he better than Dalton in actuality? Just questions

Do you really need tp push Cook now?
I think if Cook is healthy enough to play he plays.

He might sit a week if needed but I think his health is the only factor in that decision.

I wish they could trade Cousins. I dont think his contract allows it, but it could always be renegotiated I suppose.

Who would trade for Cousins awful contract? 21M guaranteed salary for 2021, 35M 2022 salary guarantees at the start of the 2021 league year.

Its also possible that coming back in the game caused him to injure it further, he did pull up pretty hard after that play. 

Assuming its a groin strain, the real question will be how he feels Tue/Wed and how much it swells up. Minor groin strains can be multi-week injuries(Arian Foster had a recurring one for a year) the more extreme ones(which was my first thought as it happened) can be up to 6 weeks, though that is less likely as he was able to come back. 

Hopefully, its not a bigger injury. Luckily the Vikings seem to have a really good backup RB in Mattison.

Its also possible that coming back in the game caused him to injure it further, he did pull up pretty hard after that play. 

Assuming its a groin strain, the real question will be how he feels Tue/Wed and how much it swells up. Minor groin strains can be multi-week injuries(Arian Foster had a recurring one for a year) the more extreme ones(which was my first thought as it happened) can be up to 6 weeks, though that is less likely as he was able to come back. 

Hopefully, its not a bigger injury. Luckily the Vikings seem to have a really good backup RB in Mattison.
Yeah it may cause him to miss next week. Just saying we dont know yet.

Users who are viewing this thread