What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2 trillion in infrastructure (1 Viewer)

:confused:   Doesn't change the fact you're telling others not to do something you yourself are doing.  Personally, I don't care what you do, but don't expect me to take the request seriously.  It's rather easy to point out the responsibility of the groups and that's what I plan to do as I have always done.
Apportioning blame 50/50 is the same as not apportioning blame. Personally, I don't care whether you understand this or not.

The discussion's been ongoing for years. Obama spent a good bit of his campaign and first term pushing an "infrastructure bank," and eventually just started asking for increased spending, over and over. The lack of progress stems for Republicans in Congress rejecting those efforts because they didn't want the Obama administration and the Dems calling for increased spending to get any credit for it. Here's one of many examples, related to an Obama/Sanders proposal killed by the GOP Senate.

This bad faith obstruction during the Obama years- and voters' decision to reward that bad faith obstruction by electing Republicans in 2014 and 2016- puts the Dem in a bind now. If they work with Trump they not only boost his reelection efforts but also reward the GOP obstruction strategy with exactly the outcome they sought, thus encouraging more obstruction next time there's a Dem in the White House. If they don't, obviously there's no new infrastructure funding plus the norm-breaking Trump will blame it all on them and the press will dutifully report his angry rants without the necessary context.
Agreed.  I also think it's likely that any infrastructure deal will be held hostage by Republican leadership seeking wall funding, spending cuts, tax breaks etc..  This should be easy, but nothing is easy in the swamp right now.

Agreed.  I also think it's likely that any infrastructure deal will be held hostage by Republican leadership seeking wall funding, spending cuts, tax breaks etc..  This should be easy, but nothing is easy in the swamp right now.
Spending cuts need to happen.  Wall funding and more tax breaks are known non-starters.  "Coming to the table" with either or both is not really coming to the table at all.

Burgess Everett‏ @burgessev

Sen. Thune, No. 2 GOP leader, says $2 trillion infrastructure bill will have to be paid for entirely to pass the GOP Senate. so there ya go
Translation= this is dead in the water because the GOP won't support it without a tax increase, which the GOP also won't support.

Can I get an update on the appropriate levels of blame-apportioning now? TIA

Translation= this is dead in the water because the GOP won't support it without a tax increase, which the GOP also won't support.

Can I get an update on the appropriate levels of blame-apportioning now? TIA
And yet never once do tax cuts have to be paid for. Never once does our obscene level of financing for the war machine have to be paid for. But large investments in this country? Oh yeah how you going to pay for that?

How about instead of cutting spending we actually make the tax system fair again? Corporations pay record low taxes while making record profits time to pay more. How about the one percent pay more since they get more? Time to put a stop to this gilded age.
I'm with you but we can do both.  Especially need to do something about defense spending/bloat.  It's no longer acceptable to say we can't do anything about it.

I agree that Democrats should work with Trump on this, but there are 2 issues that need to be resolved: 

1. The Republicans in the past have wanted money paid to private companies to do most of the work. This either has to be heavily regulated or scrapped altogether, as its become a corrupt system. 
Here Here Comrade     Government must have control of the means of production, 

So apparently Trump is turning to the Democrats to get an infrastructure deal going. Looking at 2 trillion in spending. Still have a lot of work to do on paying for it but Trump seemed willing, today, to have a serious discussion about it.

So what do you guys think from a political standpoint. This would be a win for the admin but you can also see it as a win for Dems if they can get a deal but the GOP spikes it in the Senate. Which I think they would. Might help Democratic Senate candidates running in red states which would see plenty of investment. 

Personally I say if they can get a deal they should jump on it. What say you?
solid political move

massive spending without massive spending cuts is a grand failure from out GOVT for years ... I hate that its continuing :(

Yep. If there is one thing D's and R's in Washington love to do. It's spend our money
You know this is a thread about roads and bridges and stuff, right?  We're not talking about paying for fighter jets and bar tabs at Mar-a-Lago here. Where do you think the roads and bridges come from?

Herb said:
1. The Republicans in the past have wanted money paid to private companies to do most of the work. This either has to be heavily regulated or scrapped altogether, as its become a corrupt system. 
I get what you're saying here, and I agree in principle. But if not private companies,  who does the work? Do we have tens of thousands of public workers with the necessary knowledge, tools and massive amounts of heavy equipment to accomplish such an immense infrastructure upgrade? I dont see the problem with private companies doing the work and making the profits as long as the bidding and construction processes are transparent enough that corruption can be minimized (no one's naive enough to think there won't be a little grifting going on).

E Street Brat said:
Here Here Comrade     Government must have control of the means of production, 

@timschochet can correct me, but I don't think he means that private companies would be the contractors working on these projects but that the GOP wants to privatize the  roads and such in order to pay for them with "user fees" (tolls) which private companies can more easily raise than the government.

Stealthycat said:
solid political move

massive spending without massive spending cuts is a grand failure from out GOVT for years ... I hate that its continuing :(
Its called an investment. You drive right? Are you big on bridges collapsing as you drive over them? You likely use city water do you like it to be clean? Think your kids should go to schools that aren't in need of repair? The list goes on.

NCCommish said:
And yet never once do tax cuts have to be paid for. Never once does our obscene level of financing for the war machine have to be paid for. But large investments in this country? Oh yeah how you going to pay for that?
Come on. Haven't you read Art Laffer, Grover Nordquist, Arthur Brooks & company who for decades insisted tax cuts for the top 1% increased economic growth that they more than paid for themselves?  

US conservatives have bought into this since I first heard about the Laffer Curve in the late 70s. From my own reading it's a discredited idea but people who vote for Republicans don't seem to care and will buy into it indefinitely. 

Its called an investment. You drive right? Are you big on bridges collapsing as you drive over them? You likely use city water do you like it to be clean? Think your kids should go to schools that aren't in need of repair? The list goes on.
then better make some massive cuts in spending in other area's to compensate - its called a budget

but when the Fed Govt is spending everyone elses money ..

then better make some massive cuts in spending in other area's to compensate - its called a budget

The only reasonable place to cut is military budgets- I think that’s a very good idea. 

We can also reverse Trump’s tax bill. 

The only reasonable place to cut is military budgets- I think that’s a very good idea. 

We can also reverse Trump’s tax bill. 
the tax bill is interesting ... people pay less federal taxes, but the deductions have changed and we're all still paying taxes

we are 21trillion in debt now, more ?  the 9 trillion in the 8 year of Obama hurt badly. Stop sending money to other countries immediately. Scale back social care which is the elephant in the room. Slash Govt employment - NEVER was the USA Fed Govt supposed to be the largest employer in the world

the tax bill is interesting ... people pay less federal taxes, but the deductions have changed and we're all still paying taxes

we are 21trillion in debt now, more ?  the 9 trillion in the 8 year of Obama hurt badly. Stop sending money to other countries immediately. Scale back social care which is the elephant in the room. Slash Govt employment - NEVER was the USA Fed Govt supposed to be the largest employer in the world
You could do all of that and you wouldn’t touch the annual deficit. You can only reduce it significantly by cutting the military, cutting social security, cutting Medicare,  or raising taxes. Those are your choices. All the stuff you mentioned is pennies on the dollar. 

@timschochet can correct me, but I don't think he means that private companies would be the contractors working on these projects but that the GOP wants to privatize the  roads and such in order to pay for them with "user fees" (tolls) which private companies can more easily raise than the government.
Oops. Misunderstood what Tim was saying. In that case, I agree that private business should stay TF out of it. Privatization of public property only ever ends well for the stockholders of the companies taking control. And of course the politicians that facilitate the acquisitions. 

Stop sending money to other countries immediately
Are you refering to the interest payment on e.g. Treasury T bonds to foreign holders? If so, are you acquainted with the effects of defaulting on your loans, as a country?

Last edited by a moderator:

GTFO of here with this crap.  The best you've been able to muster towards Trump and the GOP in this regard is a post the equivalent of throwing up your hands and saying "eh, I wish they didn't do it, but whattaya gonna do?".  You don't get to pretend that this is all of a sudden a deeply seeded care of yours.  Your actions tell us it's not.  Be careful stepping down off this soapbox :rolleyes:  

TobiasFunke said:
You know this is a thread about roads and bridges and stuff, right?  We're not talking about paying for fighter jets and bar tabs at Mar-a-Lago here. Where do you think the roads and bridges come from?

msommer said:
they spawn....
then they span....

Voila!

You could do all of that and you wouldn’t touch the annual deficit. You can only reduce it significantly by cutting the military, cutting social security, cutting Medicare,  or raising taxes. Those are your choices. All the stuff you mentioned is pennies on the dollar. 
you are not far off - the largest areas spent are logically the places to reduce 

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/budget-basics/federal-budget-101/spending/

if it were me ?

cut 10% across the board ......... everyone hurts equally until there can be agreements on the massive waste in spending and get it under control. Although honestly, I don't think it'll ever get there. I think the system of mass spending with no way to pay for it .... its what our Govt does now, its what people do, its what kids do .......... and in the coming years there will be consequences for it. 

you are not far off - the largest areas spent are logically the places to reduce 

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/budget-basics/federal-budget-101/spending/

if it were me ?

cut 10% across the board ......... everyone hurts equally until there can be agreements on the massive waste in spending and get it under control. Although honestly, I don't think it'll ever get there. I think the system of mass spending with no way to pay for it .... its what our Govt does now, its what people do, its what kids do .......... and in the coming years there will be consequences for it. 
The thing I found most interesting in that article is that the value of tax breaks is greater than the amount of all discretionary spending combined (includes military).

That's where I'd start.

Hopefully there's some funding in that $2T for the Gateway Program.  The tunnels that connect NJ with NYC are in bad shape. But since they connect two blue states, its unlikely.

The first locomotive chugged through the Pennsylvania Railroad’s 2.5-mile tunnel in 1910. Amtrak, its current owner, says it’s still safe, albeit unreliable, and in constant need of temporary fixes. But say its haywire electrical system finally goes kaput, or its cracked concrete walls and ceilings yield to the river’s muck. There goes the New York City commute for Wall Streeters, big-city accountants and lawyers from New Jersey suburbs, plus the legions that work in health, tech, tourism and retail. Beyond New York, that’s the end of Boston-to-Washington service on the nation’s busiest passenger-rail route.

Over the next decade it is likely that 8 Trillion will be used for the US Military alone. Something to think about in this connection.

In comparison the tax cut was expected to add 1.4 Trillion to the deficit 2018-2027

cut 10% across the board ......... everyone hurts equally
Yep the person on their fixed income social security check that chooses each month whether to splurge on a dollar menu hamburger is hurt equally by this cut as the billionaire having his defense stocks hit by a couple less needless fighter jets.

Yep the person on their fixed income social security check that chooses each month whether to splurge on a dollar menu hamburger is hurt equally by this cut as the billionaire having his defense stocks hit by a couple less needless fighter jets.
if a person ignores treating an injury because of the pain involved with a bit of alcohol .... later, when the injury has festered and it requires hospitalization etc the pain will be far far greater

there is going to be pain in dealing with 21 trillion in debt - you cannot wave a wand at it

Over the next decade it is likely that 8 Trillion will be used for the US Military alone. Something to think about in this connection.
how much in social aids given ? how many trillion in trying to deal with the illegals at the southern border?

if a person ignores treating an injury because of the pain involved with a bit of alcohol .... later, when the injury has festered and it requires hospitalization etc the pain will be far far greater

there is going to be pain in dealing with 21 trillion in debt - you cannot wave a wand at it
Yes there will be pain from the debt that has been created by tax cut after tax cut.  Your solution to the pain is to take Social Security and Medicare which currently own some of that debt as these programs until relatively recently more than paid for themselves and cut there.  Classic ugly version of "starve the beast".   But as disgusting as this theft from working class Americans to the rich has been, it is not even a rebuttal to the nonsensical idea that "cross the board" cuts impact everyone equally.  

In comparison the tax cut was expected to add 1.4 Trillion to the deficit 2018-2027
If we whack the defense budget it's going to have to be accompanied by a pretty drastic revision of our foreign policy. The net result will be more global instability.

More global hot spots, authoritarian regimes, refugees, terrorist cells and the like that will be contrary to American interests that we will not have the resources to prevent. No ally is going to step in to fill the void. Chinese and Russian influence will only continue becoming larger. 

Are we ready to accept those results as a consequence of whacking the military budget?

If we whack the defense budget it's going to have to be accompanied by a pretty drastic revision of our foreign policy. The net result will be more global instability.

More global hot spots, authoritarian regimes, refugees, terrorist cells and the like that will be contrary to American interests that we will not have the resources to prevent. No ally is going to step in to fill the void. Chinese and Russian influence will only continue becoming larger. 

Are we ready to accept those results as a consequence of whacking the military budget?
Are you of the opinion that the previous years foreign policy have not in fact created more hot spots, dictatorial regimes etc.?

Yes there will be pain from the debt that has been created by tax cut after tax cut.  Your solution to the pain is to take Social Security and Medicare which currently own some of that debt as these programs until relatively recently more than paid for themselves and cut there.  Classic ugly version of "starve the beast".   But as disgusting as this theft from working class Americans to the rich has been, it is not even a rebuttal to the nonsensical idea that "cross the board" cuts impact everyone equally.  
show me how much the US Govt has brought in each year over the past ... 20 years lets say

then show me how much they've spent

taxation is NOT the problem .... the massive spending it the problem ............ nobody runs their finances like the US Govt does do they? you simply don't spend that much more than you'er bringing in without some point there being an accountability 

its coming - 

Are you of the opinion that the previous years foreign policy have not in fact created more hot spots, dictatorial regimes etc.?
I'm of the opinion that we've experienced a degree of global stability over the past 35 years that has enabled unprecedented economic growth. Our foreign policy has had a lot to do with that. 

I'm open to change and reducing the military budget...reduced spending has to come from somewhere. You asked people to think about it. I did.

I just want to know more specifics from those who arbitrarily want to take an axe to the military...how they will do so while simultaneously maintaining equal or better a) national defense and b) global stability that keeps economic prosperity on the upswing.

Pelosi and Schummer out in front of this...apparently they met with Trump today.  Three weeks....clock's ticking.  They want his proposal in three weeks.  Found it interesting they are considering broadband too....that's a plus.  Solidifying the power grid...it's almost like they are actually taking this seriously.

There are places to cut the defense budget that won't hurt as bad as others. We've all heard the stories of the military saying we don't need another 150 jets, but the congressmen from the district that builds the jets pushed it though anyway. 

I've been saying it for years now. Simplify the tax code. Take the IRS employees that will no longer be needed and flip them to auditing the government. Retrain some them to work with ICE and start tracking down illegals that have over stayed their visa's  

Users who are viewing this thread