What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Someone Asked Me for Gas at the Pump (1 Viewer)

It's all about getting money.  Nowadays, people are less likely to hand over cash.  But gas?  Can't see why that would be bad.  So they can then sell gas to someone much cheaper than what they'd normally pay for it.  They're not trying to get rich.  They're just trying to support their habit.  
My guess is this is 5% legit

95% chance is ....if you are willing to fill up gas you are willing to either A say "hey here's a 20 spot as well, looks like you could use it....or B if you were nice enough to do that you just opened the door for me to ask you for money and my chances of finding someone willing to hand it over.

Scammers often look for openings when talking to people. The guy who needs 100 bucks to buy crack isnt asking for 100.

He is asking for a something possibly non monetary that will lead to asking for additional stuff that will eventually lead to asking for money.

I need a ride to get to point Z for X will undoubtedly be met with "would you be able to spare $ for Y"

And those rendered homeless through unfortunate circumstances, like medical bills, gentrification, job loss, fleeing domestic abuse etc. Who outnumber the scammers by, what? 100 to 1? 1000 to 1? More?

What would those people like feel about you?
The scammers are the ones who ruin it for everyone.  Not me.  It used to be that you would see someone on the side of the road with a flat tire, you'd stop and help.  Then people started getting mugged and stopped by people preying on kind hearted people.  Now, people don't stop as much to help.  Is that the kind hearted person's fault?  Or the muggers and killers?

You are more than welcome to help anyone you want.  But I don't see why you would get mad at others who choose not to.

It's not like the "scammers" aren't putting the hours in? Or that it's easy. They aren't living in a Tesla, going home to a penthouse with an ocean view or funding a 401K.
What's your point, GB?  Because someone worked hard at scamming me, I should support their drug habit?  I mean, they did put in a full day of work.  How dare I not give him money for heroin.

Where and how do they sell that gas.  I mean if some stranger comes up to me proposing that he will poor 5 gallons of something that may smell and look a little bit like gas, but is who knows what, in my tank and will only charge me $2 per gallon I am thinking I am going to decline.
I won't even risk name brand low octane at the pump. If the guy has a car I'm sure he is just using it himself.

I gave $20 to a cute girl at an airport recently who only needed like $17 to afford a train ticket to somewhere.  The terminal was under construction and she did help me find my way to the rental cars.  I knew it was a scam but the help and the hug (@Nathan R. Jessep)  were worth the $20.  :wub:  

She did know an awful lot about a certain small town in southeast Nebraska.  She had either been there or was that good of a scammer.
well worth it, IMO :thumbup:  

I was filling up at Kwik Trip on the way home today. As I’m standing there, a 20-something guy comes over holding a 5 gallon gas can in one hand, and a toddler in the other.

He says “Would you be kind enough to spare some gas so we can get home?”

Me: “No.”

Is this some sort of scam I’ve never heard of or am I just a complete #####?
thank you for fighting climate change

I won't even risk name brand low octane at the pump. If the guy has a car I'm sure he is just using it himself.
You might not trust it.  But someone else probably would if it's cheap enough.  For the same reason people buy laptops, phones and other things off the street.  

This issue has gotten pretty bad in my area.  I will case a gas station for people like this before stopping.  

I seem to be a magnet for this type of thing probably based on appearance.  

In the market for an EV, and honestly avoiding this crap is a huge perk that is being overlooked.

The scammers are the ones who ruin it for everyone.  Not me.  It used to be that you would see someone on the side of the road with a flat tire, you'd stop and help.  Then people started getting mugged and stopped by people preying on kind hearted people.  Now, people don't stop as much to help.  Is that the kind hearted person's fault?  Or the muggers and killers?

You are more than welcome to help anyone you want.  But I don't see why you would get mad at others who choose not to.
I did not mean to call you out, just pointing out a different perspective.  Now, the "muggers and the killers" stuff? Seriously? GTFO with that paranoid nonsense.  When did we go to someone asking for help at a public location to pulling over in an alley on a dark rainy night in and industrial district of downtown Fallujah?  We act like we are living in the most dangerous country at the most dangerous time in our history.  That is simply untrue.  Violent crime is lower than it has been at any point in your lifetime (technically the low was 2014).  The people you should be afraid of aren't the ones asking for $5 worth of gasoline at the Circle K.

The scammers aren't ruining it for anyone, we are losing our compassion and blaming everyone but ourselves.  Were apathetic, isolated, insular people who live in echo chambers with millions of distractions that allow us to sink further down into that spiral.  We're a pliable, spoon fed people who are far too easily controlled by fear.

I am not saying you should give away all your earthly possessions and live a communal lifestyle.  I hate hippies. Take a shower beard boy! But I am saying that if you have an extra dollar, or quarter, or $100, or sandwich, or whatever then don't sweat what the other person wants to do with it. Just be compassionate.  It doesn't make you weak.

What's your point, GB?  Because someone worked hard at scamming me, I should support their drug habit?  I mean, they did put in a full day of work.  How dare I not give him money for heroin.
I am not saying that at all (and let me clearly state that I am debating with zero anger and have nothing but love for some IronSheik).  But again you're going to this lowest common denominator that all these people are heroin addicts.  That is an easy thought experiment that allows you to ignore the fact that they are people first.  You don't know that the money is for drugs. Most often it's not. And who cares if it is?  If my life were reduced to sleeping under bridges, eating out of trash cans and praying for the compassion of other humans, which is an increasingly depressing proposition, I might want some drugs too.  I certainly wouldn't expect you to take me into your home, clean me up provide me the edge I needed to get back onto my feet.  But helping to ease my pain?  Yeah, that doesn't seem like a lot to hope for.  Hope, not demand.  These people aren't demanding anything, they're asking and hoping. 

We do live in a country of abundance but the truth is the majority of people are trading their future stability for abundance in the present.  It is frighteningly easy to lose everything and incredibly difficult to gain it back afterwards.

The truth about our perceived abundance is that we are never more than nine missed meals away from total anarchy.  Individually in our personal lives or in the totality of our society.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran into this scam two years ago outside of San Diego.    I asked him where his car was and he said on the Interstate.   Then his girlfriend came walking up from a tent city that was across the street.   I told him if just wanted money he should have asked.   I didn't give him anything

I did not mean to call you out, just pointing out a different perspective.  Now, the "muggers and the killers" stuff? Seriously? GTFO with that paranoid nonsense.  When did we go to someone asking for help at a public location to pulling over in an alley on a dark rainy night in and industrial district of downtown Fallujah?  We act like we are living in the most dangerous country at the most dangerous time in our history.  That is simply untrue.  Violent crime is lower than it has been at any point in your lifetime (technically the low was 2014).  The people you should be afraid of aren't the ones asking for $5 worth of gasoline at the Circle K.

The scammers aren't ruining it for anyone, we are losing our compassion and blaming everyone but ourselves.  Were apathetic, isolated, insular people who live in echo chambers with millions of distractions that allow us to sink further down into that spiral.  We're a pliable, spoon fed people who are far too easily controlled by fear.

I am not saying you should give away all your earthly possessions and live a communal lifestyle.  I hate hippies. Take a shower beard boy! But I am saying that if you have an extra dollar, or quarter, or $100, or sandwich, or whatever then don't sweat what the other person wants to do with it. Just be compassionate.  It doesn't make you weak.
We will have to agree to disagree then, GB.

I am not saying that at all (and let me clearly state that I am debating with zero anger and have nothing but love for some IronSheik).  But again you're going to this lowest common denominator that all these people are heroin addicts.  That is an easy thought experiment that allows you to ignore the fact that they are people first.  You don't know that the money is for drugs. Most often it's not. And who cares if it is?  If my life were reduced to sleeping under bridges, eating out of trash cans and praying for the compassion of other humans, which is an increasingly depressing proposition, I might want some drugs too.  I certainly wouldn't expect you to take me into your home, clean me up provide me the edge I needed to get back onto my feet.  But helping to ease my pain?  Yeah, that doesn't seem like a lot to hope for.  Hope, not demand.  These people aren't demanding anything, they're asking and hoping. 

We do live in a country of abundance but the truth is the majority of people are trading their future stability for abundance in the present.  It is frighteningly easy to lose everything and incredibly difficult to gain it back afterwards.

The truth about our perceived abundance is that we are never more than nine missed meals away from total anarchy.  Individually in our personal lives or in the totality of our society.
No worries.  I know we're just talking.  It's all good.  

I'm not saying everyone is an addict or that everyone is scamming.  My only point is that (and I'm just throwing out a year as a reference, not meant to be a solid fact) in 1970, if someone came up to you at the gas station and said, "Hey, mister.  Do you have $5 so I can get home tonight?"  He was probably being truthful.  But over time, scammers realize that kind hearted people will give money to those people.  So they began to use that.  And over decades, scammers have fine tuned what gets money.  And more people are realizing it, so more people are scamming.  So in 2019, when someone comes up to you and asks for $5, there's a much better chance it's someone scamming you.  

And that's the fault of the scammers.  Not anyone else's.

Where and how do they sell that gas.  I mean if some stranger comes up to me proposing that he will poor 5 gallons of something that may smell and look a little bit like gas, but is who knows what, in my tank and will only charge me $2 per gallon I am thinking I am going to decline.
There’s no chance I buy gas from someone unless I actually know the person and even then I would question it.

I guess my point, which was kind of dumb and pointless, was I’d call that begging more than scamming- but if somebody is that desperate (because of addiction or anything else) then I feel sorry for them.*

*this was directed at Sheikh but you apparently have to be a rocket surgeon to know how to multi quote on a mobile device 

There’s no chance I buy gas from someone unless I actually know the person and even then I would question it.

I guess my point, which was kind of dumb and pointless, was I’d call that begging more than scamming- but if somebody is that desperate (because of addiction or anything else) then I feel sorry for them.*

*this was directed at Sheikh but you apparently have to be a rocket surgeon to know how to multi quote on a mobile device 
I can't multi quote on a PC, so I feel ya.

Again, you keep putting yourself in the shoes of a gas buyer.  But you're not their customer base.  The same way your not the customer base of a guy selling slightly used car stereos out of a trunk.  Or a loose cigarette on the corner.  Or a baggie filled with white powder that you're about to cook and shoot into your veins.  People buying items on the street, especially at a discounted price, are not usually in the FBG annual salary range.

95% chance is ....if you are willing to fill up gas you are willing to either A say "hey here's a 20 spot as well, looks like you could use it....or B if you were nice enough to do that you just opened the door for me to ask you for money and my chances of finding someone willing to hand it over.

Scammers often look for openings when talking to people. The guy who needs 100 bucks to buy crack isnt asking for 100.

He is asking for a something possibly non monetary that will lead to asking for additional stuff that will eventually lead to asking for money.

I need a ride to get to point Z for X will undoubtedly be met with "would you be able to spare $ for Y"
Yep. Its an intro. It is a chance to thank you repeatedly and tell more of a sob story with the hopes you will offer more. At the very least after a couple hours the guy has a full tank of gas in his car parked a block away and he got some exercise. 

This issue has gotten pretty bad in my area.  I will case a gas station for people like this before stopping.  

I seem to be a magnet for this type of thing probably based on appearance.  

In the market for an EV, and honestly avoiding this crap is a huge perk that is being overlooked.
"Dude, can you spare a few kilowatts for my Tesla so I can get to Greenwich?"

It's not like the "scammers" aren't putting the hours in? Or that it's easy. They aren't living in a Tesla, going home to a penthouse with an ocean view or funding a 401K.
Two stories:

Story #1:  a buddy of mine got a job as a teller at BofA right out of college in Santa Barbara, CA.  There was a guy who'd come in every few days who looked (and smelled) like he was homeless.  He'd come in with a stack of cash and rolls of quarters, etc.  His account balance was well over $50,000.

Story #2:  a TV station in Houston once did an expose' on panhandling in the city.  They spent 3 days asking for change, mostly hanging out on busy intersections' medians.  One day was especially lucrative; I think they said they made over $1,000.

---

I keep change in my car and will grab a handful of coins for someone if I'm approached.  I'd rather buy them a bag of chips or something but whatever. I'm sure they're buying drugs.

We will have to agree to disagree then, GB.
And therefore you feel justified in showing compassion to anyone looking for help that you deem to be a scammer? Despite the fact that the vast majority of these people are legitimately seeking help (I forgot to mention that the largest segment of the homeless population have mental disorders)?

I am surprised to hear that but it solidifies my position that we are losing touch with our humanity.

No worries.  I know we're just talking.  It's all good.  

I'm not saying everyone is an addict or that everyone is scamming.  My only point is that (and I'm just throwing out a year as a reference, not meant to be a solid fact) in 1970, if someone came up to you at the gas station and said, "Hey, mister.  Do you have $5 so I can get home tonight?"  He was probably being truthful.  But over time, scammers realize that kind hearted people will give money to those people.  So they began to use that.  And over decades, scammers have fine tuned what gets money.  And more people are realizing it, so more people are scamming.  So in 2019, when someone comes up to you and asks for $5, there's a much better chance it's someone scamming you.  

And that's the fault of the scammers.  Not anyone else's.
There are more scammers to be sure.  My phone was on blast for about a year from scam calls until Google and Verizon did whatever voodoo they did last month and it has almost stopped.

But they do not represent the majority of the homeless people seeking help. You are making the choice to decide their intent is to "scam" you rather than viewing the far more likely proposition that they are in need.  And, I would argue that most of these "scammers" are also in need but I doubt that will move the needle. 

Fox Opinion loves to run with the story of the "homeless" guy with a sign who gets into his Mercedes at the end of the day.  That guy is a unicorn.  We love to judge the lady who uses her SNAP dollars to buy her child a birthday cake and ignore that she is likely choosing to go hungry herself for several days to provide that bit of joy for her child.

We should strive to be better people to those that are in need. Instead we judge them as scammers and ignore reality.

And therefore you feel justified in showing compassion to anyone looking for help that you deem to be a scammer? Despite the fact that the vast majority of these people are legitimately seeking help (I forgot to mention that the largest segment of the homeless population have mental disorders)?

I am surprised to hear that but it solidifies my position that we are losing touch with our humanity.
I once had a homeless guy ask me for some money so he could eat.  Hadn't eaten in days.  I handed him a bag of chips I had in my bag and he said very angrily, "GTFOOH, man.  I need money, not food."

I've never given a person money after that.  I've given to charities and to things like that.  But, nope. No more handouts on the street from Sheik.  One bad apple spoils the bunch.

Two stories:

Story #1:  a buddy of mine got a job as a teller at BofA right out of college in Santa Barbara, CA.  There was a guy who'd come in every few days who looked (and smelled) like he was homeless.  He'd come in with a stack of cash and rolls of quarters, etc.  His account balance was well over $50,000.

Story #2:  a TV station in Houston once did an expose' on panhandling in the city.  They spent 3 days asking for change, mostly hanging out on busy intersections' medians.  One day was especially lucrative; I think they said they made over $1,000.

---

I keep change in my car and will grab a handful of coins for someone if I'm approached.  I'd rather buy them a bag of chips or something but whatever. I'm sure they're buying drugs.
That's great that you do, I applaud it.  Maybe they are buying drugs, maybe not you cannot be sure of that.

Your stories are fine and dandy. We don't know the first guy was homeless but if he was, isn't that the kind of homeless guy you want? One who works hard and saves his money?  I am not sure what to think of the expose, those pieces can be very misleading. 

But none of it is to say that there are no "scammers", rather who cares if there are? We have about 550,000 homeless people in this country and millions more one paycheck, or accident, or whatever away from being homeless.  Better to help them and the occasional "scammer" than to simply not care and ignore them all.

I once had a homeless guy ask me for some money so he could eat.  Hadn't eaten in days.  I handed him a bag of chips I had in my bag and he said very angrily, "GTFOOH, man.  I need money, not food."

I've never given a person money after that.  I've given to charities and to things like that.  But, nope. No more handouts on the street from Sheik.  One bad apple spoils the bunch IronSheik.
:(

Two stories:

---

And these points are exactly why panhandlers won't get a cent from me. You see these same lazy a@@ cons everyday.

I had an old lady ask me to put gas in her minivan a couple of months back.  She gave some song and dance about going to the hospital 100 miles away to meet her grandchild who was just born.  I honestly thought she was full of #### about the grandchild but if some senior citizen is hard up enough for $20 in gas that they have to scam me for it, I'm willing to be swindled.

We all think it can't happen to us.

Check your IRAs and 401Ks ladies and gents.  I bet most everyone who responds to that will give some song and dance about how they regularly contribute and max out but national statistics say most of you are scamming yourselves.

We all like to say "I would never..." but life sometimes doesn't offer you that luxury even if you have scammed yourself into believing that.

How's your work days going ladies and gents?  Your employer getting their max dollar out of you or are you scamming them?

But you would never...

I've never given a person money after that.  I've given to charities and to things like that.  But, nope. No more handouts on the street from Sheik.  One bad apple spoils the bunch.
Beggar: “could you spare $5, I haven’t eaten in 3 days”

Drunk Wrigley: looks up, sees Gyro sign “man, that sucks.  I’m hungry too, let’s go in here. I’ll buy you a Gyro

Begger: “I don’t eat meat”

DW: “But Gyros are soooooo gooooood”

he gave up 

A couple of weeks back one of my co-workers was "bragging" to an admin about what a great thing he did that day. He said he was out to lunch at a local pizza place and when he was getting into his car some guy asked him for some money because he just left the Parkway because he was on empty and discovered that he left his wallet back at the office.

I said that's weird, and I think you may have got scammed, because three days ago as I was leaving the parking lot at work and some guy pulled up to my window from the other direction and asked me for money for gas because he was on empty and left his wallet back at work. When I said he started the conversation with "Let me take a shot in the dark here...", my co-worker's face turned white because the guy said the same thing to him.

I told him I didn't give any money because I just got a bad feeling from him and to me the give-away was that he said he left the Parkway because he was low on gas and his first question to me wasn't "Where's the closest gas station?".

We give to charitable orgs that originate in our town only. I tell my wife to not interact with anyone who tries to approach you as they can be violent and desperate. She always argues until I say what would your Kids say to you if you were stabbed by a homeless person. It has happened. I have seen it. It cured me of all my impulses to interact with strangers who seem to not pass the smell test. I tell them to seek out a shelter who will help them get back on their feet. I figure I'm doing what I can donating to the greater good instead of chancing being shanked and then doing no one any good bleeding out.  

We give to charitable orgs that originate in our town only. I tell my wife to not interact with anyone who tries to approach you as they can be violent and desperate. She always argues until I say what would your Kids say to you if you were stabbed by a homeless person. It has happened. I have seen it. It cured me of all my impulses to interact with strangers who seem to not pass the smell test. I tell them to seek out a shelter who will help them get back on their feet. I figure I'm doing what I can donating to the greater good instead of chancing being shanked and then doing no one any good bleeding out.  
Exactly.  There are places for these people to get help.  And it's not at a gas station begging for money.  I give to charities so people don't have to beg at gas stations.  

Do you know why people don't go to the places that offer food and assistance in times of need?  Because those places give help with food and clothing.  Not money to go buy booze and drugs.

If anyone wants to give hand outs to random people on the street, that's cool.  But just realize you might be helping an addict get their next fix.  And that fix might keep them from going and getting help.  And not getting help is what kills them.  

There are more scammers to be sure.  My phone was on blast for about a year from scam calls until Google and Verizon did whatever voodoo they did last month and it has almost stopped.

But they do not represent the majority of the homeless people seeking help. You are making the choice to decide their intent is to "scam" you rather than viewing the far more likely proposition that they are in need.  And, I would argue that most of these "scammers" are also in need but I doubt that will move the needle. 

Fox Opinion loves to run with the story of the "homeless" guy with a sign who gets into his Mercedes at the end of the day.  That guy is a unicorn.  We love to judge the lady who uses her SNAP dollars to buy her child a birthday cake and ignore that she is likely choosing to go hungry herself for several days to provide that bit of joy for her child.

We should strive to be better people to those that are in need. Instead we judge them as scammers and ignore reality.
I have seen a near unicorn.  I once watched a couple get out of a brand new Jeep Cherokee, go around back, slide on some very raggedy over cloths, grab their signs, and solicit the rush hour crowd at a busy intersection.  It was fascinating to watch from the outdoor seating.  They did fairly well and packed up and left as I was paying the bill.  Not a Mercedes mind you, but close.  I make no sweeping assumptions from the singular event, but it was interesting. 

I do believe the world could benefit from everyone sharing your attitude.  The thing is, if it is less than everyone then inevitably some will take advantage of others. It is probably commendable that such a risk does not deter you, it does me, and perhaps I am the lesser for it.

Exactly.  There are places for these people to get help.  And it's not at a gas station begging for money.  I give to charities so people don't have to beg at gas stations.  

Do you know why people don't go to the places that offer food and assistance in times of need?  Because those places give help with food and clothing.  Not money to go buy booze and drugs.

If anyone wants to give hand outs to random people on the street, that's cool.  But just realize you might be helping an addict get their next fix.  And that fix might keep them from going and getting help.  And not getting help is what kills them.  
OR ..you may get stabbed or pushed down unexpectedly and then stomped on or worse. They have nothing to lose and may use you for an outlet. lack of food, sleep and hydration can drive an insane amount of violence for a short amount of time. Do you have that time/life to give? 

Dude, can you charge my car?
Sure ..let me plug you in ...you like indica I'd assume....You want to split a veggie burrito bro? We should defiantly check out that new podcast about being conservative to our planet. All my Starbucks friends say it's the bomb! OH..and at the end ...there is a code for next in line at the charging station.

I kid

Can everyone let me borrow $5?  I just realized I left my wallet at home and have no gas for my car.  My wife is sick and I really need to get home with the meds I just bought at the pharmacy for her cancer.  Just send me your debit card info and I'll only take out $5.  Bless you.

Do you feel any sense of responsibility if you felt being very generous to the guy who asked you for a few bucks and you gave him $50 only to find the next day he overdosed on heroin with the money you gave him?

Do you feel any sense of responsibility if you felt being very generous to the guy who asked you for a few bucks and you gave him $50 only to find the next day he overdosed on heroin with the money you gave him?
This is over the top imho. No need for this. Some of us want the best outcome for humanity and would love for it to be at a cost we can embrace. That said be cautious and forewarned that not everyone who approaches you will have the best intentions.

Can everyone let me borrow $5?  I just realized I left my wallet at home and have no gas for my car.  My wife is sick and I really need to get home with the meds I just bought at the pharmacy for her cancer.  Just send me your debit card info and I'll only take out $5.  Bless you.
no probs. just send me your drivers licence and ssn and I'll send the card no asap

This is over the top imho. No need for this. Some of us want the best outcome for humanity and would love for it to be at a cost we can embrace. That said be cautious and forewarned that not everyone who approaches you will have the best intentions.
I think he just meant it as you can see the good and bad in both sides.  Giving money to someone doesn't make you a saint the same way not giving doesn't make you evil.

True dat.

I was just in Chicago as my wife had a conference for Catholic School Educators.  The walk from our hotel to the L went through a less than desireable spot in town.  On our way, a walking in to a White Castle spots us a block away, turns and comes towards us.  I inteded on just walking past him, but his scam was good starting with a "don't worry, I'm not asking for money..." yada yada yada.  He clearly knew there was a conference up the street for people who tend to be charitable so I'm sure we looked like marks.  He starts off just asking for advice of how he can get to where we are since we obviously have everything together, but sooner than you can say I'dratherbegthanwork he asks us if  we did choose to give him something today, what would be our motivation to do that?  I just said I can't help and turned to keep walking and he asks my wife the same thing.  She just says "I'll pray for you" which I wish I would have thought of because it would have been a sick burn since I'm not religious, but she was actually sincere.

Saw a vagrant with a sign that said "Private jet needs fuel.  Please help."  I gave him $5.  Bum with a sign that reads, "Who am I kidding?  I need $ for Booze/Drugs."  They get my cash.  This BS about being hungry or a veteran and "god bless" this and "god bless" that.  Go screw.  Honesty is the best policy.

Users who are viewing this thread