What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Someone Asked Me for Gas at the Pump (1 Viewer)

Earlier I, trying to be honest with myself, figured and posted that at least half those actors as being scammers.  50-50 coin flip qualifies as the norm. That's based on a decade and a half of direct observation across three different states.  What you got?
About 554,000 homeless people in America, who knows how many more less than a paycheck away, and a strong disagreement with observations of what you allege to be bad actors. Unless you consider living in your car to not be homeless.

I also think we would need to differentiate between what is a bad actor and what isnt. 

Most of the people with a sign on a street corner are probably homeless. 

Most of the "distressed stranger" people are probably lying to you. 
I guess it's possible, and I agree "distressed stranger" absolutely sounds like a routine. But it's certainly a routine that an actual homeless person might use as well.

I'm curious what you believe the lives of these "scammers" looks like? Homeless on the street? Homeless in their car or a shelter or halfway house? Living day-to-day in an apartment? Secure in their housing and well fed?

Mission Beach in the early 90's . Bum went crazy when approached by a passerby and stabbed him in the leg. I had lived in Mission for 22 years at that point and seen many homeless lose it on people.
That’s unfortunate, and surprising as I thought the data showed homeless and mentally ill people were no more likely to commit violent crimes than the general population.

I fell for a slightly less creative scam years ago.  As I was pumping gas in a poorer area of Akron, a guy came up to me wanting $10 for gas because he needed to "get to the hospital to see his wife and kid that had just been born."  I didn't quite buy it, but it was payday Friday, and I was flush for cash and feeling good.  

I gave him $20, just feeling like "hey, if that guy needs to run that scam to get along, he needs it more than I do."

I remember cursing myself slightly less than a couple weeks later when I scraping around for something to eat the last couple of days before payday.  
I fell for similar thing in NJ.  Never again

BobbyLayne said:
Johnny Rock said:
I would think $8 PER HOUR would be low for NYC. $8 PER DAY seems preposterous.   🤷‍♂️
 Give it a shot & report back?
I wasn’t trying to be a jerk. Your post was just so different than anecdotal things I’ve read over the years. 

https://www.georgefox.edu/journalonline/spring14/alumni/panhandling.html

Panhandling experiment nets $11.10 per hour over 12 days in Oregon, 2014. 

http://residentiallychallenged.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-much-does-panhandler-really-make.html?m=1

This guy says he makes about $15 per hour on average at a desirable location in Seattle, 2016. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/164e6f/for_those_who_have_ever_been_beggars_how_much/

Lots to wade through on Reddit. Even if just some of them are true it’s a pretty good amount of money, especially with no tax. 

I'm still looking for a definition of the scam here.

If someone tells me they need gas to get somewhere for something but in reality they're homeless because of mental disease or they had an medical expenses that wiped them out etc. etc. etc. We're you scammed?

At what point does it rise to "scam" level?

If someone tells me they need gas to get somewhere for something but in reality they're homeless because of mental disease or they had an medical expenses that wiped them out etc. etc. etc. We're you scammed?

chaka i think your heart is frankly a lot bigger than mine honestly brohan but with all due respect any time you lie to get money i think that qualifies as a scam doesnt it take that to the bank bromigo

chaka i think your heart is frankly a lot bigger than mine honestly brohan but with all due respect any time you lie to get money i think that qualifies as a scam doesnt it take that to the bank bromigo
The lie is an assumption. And also in OP there's a young child present there with the person asking for gas. I understand a lot of people have made up their mind that the guy is scamming them and going to buy drugs or try to stab and kill them or whatever but maybe he's not? And maybe either way the $5 means way more than to them than it does to me.

The lie is an assumption. And also in OP there's a young child present there with the person asking for gas. I understand a lot of people have made up their mind that the guy is scamming them and going to buy drugs or try to stab and kill them or whatever but maybe he's not? And maybe either way the $5 means way more than to them than it does to me.
no i am responding to chaka and he said what is below i am not talking about what the op said just about what chaka said where he says flat out someone lied to get money and that my friend is a scam right take that to the bank 

Your points are valid, but there are plenty of other people out there to whom $5 means a lot, too. How do you choose? First come, first serve?

I don't assume I'm being scammed by beggars (nor do I care), but I think there are better ways to help them than handing out cash, gas, etc. And I definitely don't want to potentially enable something destructive like addiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are plenty of people out there to whom $5 means a lot too. How do you choose? First come, first serve?

I don't assume I'm being scammed by beggars (nor do I care), but I think there are better ways to help them than handing out cash, gas, etc.
Yeah, see I guess I think you have to look both big and small picture. In the grand scheme of things, my $5 can be put to better use, without a doubt.   

Right here, right now is a person less fortunate than me who needs the $5 more than I do. Is he going to buy a sandwich or a beer? I don't know and i really don't care, but I'm empathetic to the situation he's in and I don't think in the vast majority of situations he's going back to a house or luxury car despite the one off anecdotes that have been presented in here.

I occasionally give a few bucks to homeless people.  I don't care what they do with it.  Better to let them get their fix begging than robbing people.

By definition if they are lying to you, then you are getting scammed. Perhaps you don't mind being scammed if you think the person is down on their luck. That's your choice. 

I donate money based on how well I think the recipient will utilize that money to solve a problem. I don't expect the problem to necessarily be solved, but I do expect my money to be put to productive use.

I don't think that "buying gas for a homeless person" is an example of putting my money to good use.

The guy with a gas can is pretty much omni present at the arco on paradise and tropicana.

Kind of amazing that so many people run out of gas right by one of the most popular gas stations for tourists to use before returning their rental cars. 

Yeah, see I guess I think you have to look both big and small picture. In the grand scheme of things, my $5 can be put to better use, without a doubt.   

Right here, right now is a person less fortunate than me who needs the $5 more than I do. Is he going to buy a sandwich or a beer? I don't know and i really don't care, but I'm empathetic to the situation he's in and I don't think in the vast majority of situations he's going back to a house or luxury car despite the one off anecdotes that have been presented in here.
Yeah, I think the high roller and violent homeless stories are overblown. But I also think you're underestimating the potential harm you may be causing if your cash is used to fuel addiction. 

I'm not sure about my heart but I appreciate it.

It's a valid point ol' SWCer, a lie is a lie. How much truth are people demanding here? Is "I need help" enough or do we demand an accounting of circumstances before we make the determination if the person is worthy enough of our $5? How much a time are you willing to give to listen to a homeless person recount their story?

How will you determine the veracity of that story? I imagine there are more than a few in here (seems like my position is in the clear, overwhelming even, minority in here) who even if they give the time, which I highly doubt, will hold the position that any story is a lie.

It's a neat trick that allows one not to help and still retain the perception of holding the moral high ground.

I'm not sure about my heart but I appreciate it.

It's a valid point SWCer, a lie is a lie. How much truth are people demanding here? Is "I need help" enough or do we demand an accounting of circumstances before we make the determination if the person is worthy enough of our $5? How much a time are you willing to give to listen to a homeless person recount their story?

How will you determine the veracity of that story? I imagine there are more than a few in here (seems like my position is in the clear, overwhelming even, minority in here) who even if they give the time, which I highly doubt, will hold the position that any story is a lie.

It's a neat trick that allows one not to help and still retain the perception of holding the moral high ground.
i dont have the answers to any of the larger questions you asked but i dont think it is right to excuse lies history has taught us that leads to horrible things so for myself i subscribe to old sammy langhorn clemens addage that people who tell the truth dont have to remember anything take that to the bank bromigos 

My guy using a child as a prop in an attempt to turn the odds in his favor is a scam by definition.

i dont have the answers to any of the larger questions you asked but i dont think it is right to excuse lies history has taught us that leads to horrible things so for myself i subscribe to old sammy langhorn clemens addage that people who tell the truth dont have to remember anything take that to the bank bromigos 
Love that quote. One of my favorites.

So, how do we know who is lying?

Seems pretty easy to assume everyone is lying. That way we can keep our $5 and feel comfortable ignoring people who make us uncomfortable.

Presuming he is lying. And what if he's not?

How do you know with certainty?
1. I wasn’t born yesterday

2. He had a 5 gallon can. They don’t sell this size at the gas station. I don’t keep a can on any if our vehicles, nor does anyone else normally. Let alone a 5’er, which subsequently is maximizing the amount of gas you “need” from your marks.

Seems pretty easy to assume everyone is lying. That way we can keep our $5 and feel comfortable ignoring people who make us uncomfortable.
honestly i have no idea how you determine who is lying i guess the only way you know is when you find out but all i am saying is that once you know it should not be excused take that to the bank brohan 

1. I wasn’t born yesterday

2. He had a 5 gallon can. They don’t sell this size at the gas station. I don’t keep a can on any if our vehicles, nor does anyone else normally. Let alone a 5’er, which subsequently is maximizing the amount of gas you “need” from your marks.
FTR I also think that guy is probably lying about needing gas.

And what if he's not lying? What if he's a guy living in his car and that gas can is the only thing between him and losing that too? Most cities have rules for how long a car can remain parked in a single location before it gets impounded. Moving your car becomes a necessity.

You aren't obligated to fill that gas can. You can put in as much or little as you like. Saves him multiple trips to have a larger can.

That #$$# is a sad reality, that happens far more often than many realize.

I wonder if the gas station thing specifically is a reaction to society becoming more and more cashless. No one ever actually has spare change but they've already put their debit/credit card into the pump. 
I went through a drive through food place. I paid with cash, the exact amount.  the cashier seemed absolutely startled that somebody was using cash.  clearly she was ready for me to show my phone or my watch.  I'm a dinosaur and the comet is coming right for me.

honestly i have no idea how you determine who is lying i guess the only way you know is when you find out but all i am saying is that once you know it should not be excused take that to the bank brohan 
Okay, but it seems like you are going off the assumption that everyone is lying. The guy with the sign saying "Will work for food" or "Homeless vet" or "Anything helps". All liars.

And you have no way of truly knowing so...?

I wasn’t trying to be a jerk. Your post was just so different than anecdotal things I’ve read over the years. 

https://www.georgefox.edu/journalonline/spring14/alumni/panhandling.html

Panhandling experiment nets $11.10 per hour over 12 days in Oregon, 2014. 

http://residentiallychallenged.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-much-does-panhandler-really-make.html?m=1

This guy says he makes about $15 per hour on average at a desirable location in Seattle, 2016. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/164e6f/for_those_who_have_ever_been_beggars_how_much/

Lots to wade through on Reddit. Even if just some of them are true it’s a pretty good amount of money, especially with no tax. 
Interesting perspective.

So I Googled “can you live comfortably off panhandling” and pretty much the whole first page was filled with studies from the U.S. (& one from Winnipeg), or anecdotal stories with a “we interviewed six panhandlers to find out how much they make” theme. Seems like $2-3 per hour and $25 per day is the average or the norm? One extensive study said 94% of the proceeds was spent on food, and all the articles I read stated the vast majority of money (usually >80%) went solely for basic subsistence. Admittedly unscientific but suffice to say - in my view - it’s gotta be a pretty grueling lifestyle. But if you’re looking for articles that fit a different view, I guess the good news is you’ll find them.

SIDEBAR

Backstory - About five years ago my oldest (he’ll be a senior at Michigan Tech this fall) was in town for Spring Break, and I took the week off to take him to a half dozen plays. No big productions, no musicals, but just thought provoking, dialogue driven shows covering a variety of issues: authenticity, existentialism, faith, identity, moral obligation. We had amazing conversations all week! It was the best staycation ever. He was 15 at the time; it was a watershed period, when I stopped treating him as a child and began demonstrating I trusted his decision making and ability to form his own judgements. 

Anyway, toward the end of the week we were walking home one evening and we passed a guy holding a panhandling sign. After we were out of earshot, my kid asked if he thought that guy “was faking it.” I responded by suggesting we get some pie.

Over desert I asked him what circumstances could he imagine that might have caused that man to be living on the street? I asked him how he thought it might feel to stand on the street pleading for spare change? I asked him how he thought the entirety of that experience - not having a place to lay your head, being on alert 24/7/365, always being exhausted, not having any possessions, being unable to help people you care about in a meaningful way - would impact a persons self-image? Those 20 minutes changed his worldview on the less fortunate.

My son grew up in an affluent suburb with his mother, attended private schools, his entire life has been comfort, privilege and safety. All of us view the world through the prism of our life’s experiences. It should not be surprising some imagine all or most panhandlers are scammers, or the money begged for is being spent on alcohol or drugs.

Most of us cannot really empathize “that could be me”, we cannot relate to what life on the margins of society is truly like. We fail to recognize so much of our opportunities, successes, or even just having an incredible safety net beneath us, is due solely to something we had no control over - we won the birth lottery. We were born into a good family, we were taught invaluable lessons by our parents or grandparents, we have a legacy to maintain, we possess an ethos of hard work & self-reliance, al of which is foreign to some segments in our society. There’s a whole underclass out there that lacks basic life skills which we take for granted.

IDK the answer. I do think we need more empathy. We could use more grace. If we cultivate an attitude of gratitude for what we do have, it makes it that much easier to be generous about helping others.

FTR I also think that guy is probably lying about needing gas.

And what if he's not lying? What if he's a guy living in his car and that gas can is the only thing between him and losing that too? Most cities have rules for how long a car can remain parked in a single location before it gets impounded. Moving your car becomes a necessity.

You aren't obligated to fill that gas can. You can put in as much or little as you like. Saves him multiple trips to have a larger can.

That #$$# is a sad reality, that happens far more often than many realize.
Good point. I say be up front about it and you’d get a guy like me throwing you gas and a 20.

Okay, but it seems like you are going off the assumption that everyone is lying. The guy with the sign saying "Will work for food" or "Homeless vet" or "Anything helps". All liars.

And you have no way of truly knowing so...?
nope i am not assuming anything i was simply responding originally to the question you asked where if someone lies were you scammed and i said yes a lie is a lie and that is a scam that is the only point i was making i honestly know that i dont know enough about people and why they do what they do to make judgment calls about them or to be able to tell if they are telling the truth or not my only singular one off this is it point is that lying is lying and it shouldnt be excused thats it take that to the bank brochacho

Response:  "That has to be very distressing.  Stay right here.  I'll call the Police.  They will, I am certain, be able to hook you up with the appropriate agencies to get you the help you need.  They keep a referral list. Have no fear, help is on the way.  You're welcome."

With strangers asking me for something, that is the safe thing to do.  I am confident I am right more often than not.  And by lying I'm include little white lies, deception, and lies of omission.

I hope everyone in here is giving money to every single charity and every single person they see on the street.  Otherwise, I feel bad for the state of humanity.  We've become terrible people.  :(

nope i am not assuming anything i was simply responding originally to the question you asked where if someone lies were you scammed and i said yes a lie is a lie and that is a scam that is the only point i was making i honestly know that i dont know enough about people and why they do what they do to make judgment calls about them or to be able to tell if they are telling the truth or not my only singular one off this is it point is that lying is lying and it shouldnt be excused thats it take that to the bank brochacho
My apologies, you're right. You were just responding to my question.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
With strangers asking me for something, that is the safe thing to do.  I am confident I am right more often than not.  And by lying I'm include little white lies, deception, and lies of omission.
So how much time are you willing to give someone to convince you they are telling the truth? What does that scenario look like?

My guess is most people are willing to grant that person less than 10 seconds. So what is a person with legitimate need supposed to do?

BTW there are a lot of people on a lot of message boards who are probably not telling their employees how many work hours they spend on non-work related things. Lies of omission.

Do we honestly view them as scammers and liars?

Interesting perspective.

So I Googled “can you live comfortably off panhandling” and pretty much the whole first page was filled with studies from the U.S. (& one from Winnipeg), or anecdotal stories with a “we interviewed six panhandlers to find out how much they make” theme. Seems like $2-3 per hour and $25 per day is the average or the norm? One extensive study said 94% of the proceeds was spent on food, and all the articles I read stated the vast majority of money (usually >80%) went solely for basic subsistence. Admittedly unscientific but suffice to say - in my view - it’s gotta be a pretty grueling lifestyle. But if you’re looking for articles that fit a different view, I guess the good news is you’ll find them.

SIDEBAR

Backstory - About five years ago my oldest (he’ll be a senior at Michigan Tech this fall) was in town for Spring Break, and I took the week off to take him to a half dozen plays. No big productions, no musicals, but just thought provoking, dialogue driven shows covering a variety of issues: authenticity, existentialism, faith, identity, moral obligation. We had amazing conversations all week! It was the best staycation ever. He was 15 at the time; it was a watershed period, when I stopped treating him as a child and began demonstrating I trusted his decision making and ability to form his own judgements. 

Anyway, toward the end of the week we were walking home one evening and we passed a guy holding a panhandling sign. After we were out of earshot, my kid asked if he thought that guy “was faking it.” I responded by suggesting we get some pie.

Over desert I asked him what circumstances could he imagine that might have caused that man to be living on the street? I asked him how he thought it might feel to stand on the street pleading for spare change? I asked him how he thought the entirety of that experience - not having a place to lay your head, being on alert 24/7/365, always being exhausted, not having any possessions, being unable to help people you care about in a meaningful way - would impact a persons self-image? Those 20 minutes changed his worldview on the less fortunate.

My son grew up in an affluent suburb with his mother, attended private schools, his entire life has been comfort, privilege and safety. All of us view the world through the prism of our life’s experiences. It should not be surprising some imagine all or most panhandlers are scammers, or the money begged for is being spent on alcohol or drugs.

Most of us cannot really empathize “that could be me”, we cannot relate to what life on the margins of society is truly like. We fail to recognize so much of our opportunities, successes, or even just having an incredible safety net beneath us, is due solely to something we had no control over - we won the birth lottery. We were born into a good family, we were taught invaluable lessons by our parents or grandparents, we have a legacy to maintain, we possess an ethos of hard work & self-reliance, al of which is foreign to some segments in our society. There’s a whole underclass out there that lacks basic life skills which we take for granted.

IDK the answer. I do think we need more empathy. We could use more grace. If we cultivate an attitude of gratitude for what we do have, it makes it that much easier to be generous about helping others.
I love your well thought out response and agree wholeheartedly. As a father I seek teachable moments for my kids as well.

Empathetic, philosophical and humanitarian discussion aside, I was strictly speaking to the “$8 per day” collected in NYC comment, which I still say is ludicrous for anyone that panhandles regularly.

The main problem is that the more people who give without caring if it's a real person who needs help or a scammer, then the more scammers come along.  By blindly handing out money to everyone, it essentially creates more scammers.  And the more scammers, the less of the overall pie that goes to those in need.  Not to mention, it jades people against handing money over to strangers.  

So less money comes into the overall bucket and more people means that smaller amount is divided by more people.  A lot of whom are not genuine.

I hope everyone in here is giving money to ... every single person they see on the street.
You're jesting, but that is something to think about.

New Orleans has a large homeless population, with large encampments a few blocks from my work. On the drive in and the walk over from the garage, I will encounter anywhere from 3-5 to 15-20 panhandlers a day -- many busy street corners will have folks working all four approaches. Most hold signs silently. A few will approach pedestrians and ask for money more or less respectfully. A very few will be aggressive and resort to insults, attracting the attention of local shopkeepers and police. Giving out food is a mixed bag. Giving out a bottle of beer, a pack of cigarettes, or a few dollars is generally appreciated.

So. What happens when you give a $5 to the first panhandler, and then another $5 to the second one, and then you see the third one? It's a day when more are out than usual, and you run across a dozen -- you can pass out a few bills to all of them, yes, but eventually it will add up. Eventually, even if you can readily afford to pass out $20-60 dollars five days a week, you reach a mental tipping point where you just stop, don't you? If so, does today's fifth panhandler deserve that $5 less than the first one?

Does the calculus change -- for individuals who agree with Chaka and Northern Voice -- when panhandlers are present in numbers, and are not just a once-in-a-while thing? What does a properly-tuned sense of humanity suggest to us in such a scenario?

So how much time are you willing to give someone to convince you they are telling the truth? What does that scenario look like?

My guess is most people are willing to grant that person less than 10 seconds. So what is a person with legitimate need supposed to do?

BTW there are a lot of people on a lot of message boards who are probably not telling their employees how many work hours they spend on non-work related things. Lies of omission.

Do we honestly view them as scammers and liars?
That's not my problem to solve as I walk down a city street.  I give to charity and have been recognized as a top volunteer in my 70,000+ employee company, so I sleep well at night knowing I'm doing my share.  Every person I encounter on the street has a problem of some sort.  Some are short on money.  Some have issues in their marriage.  Some just lost a parent, or other loved one.  I certainly can't worry myself with solving all of the troubles in the world, so I do what I can in a way I feel is appropriate.  Giving money to people I don't know on the street to do something I don't know isn't a responsible use of my limited resources.

The main problem is that the more people who give without caring if it's a real person who needs help or a scammer, then the more scammers come along.  By blindly handing out money to everyone, it essentially creates more scammers.  And the more scammers, the less of the overall pie that goes to those in need.  Not to mention, it jades people against handing money over to strangers.  

So less money comes into the overall bucket and more people means that smaller amount is divided by more people.  A lot of whom are not genuine.
I appreciate your honesty here.

I think that worldview explains many of the answers in this thread. In game theory, it's called Zero-sum thinking. This zero-sum bias informs our thinking in any situation: resources are finite, and therefore your loss is my gain. If someone else is winning, then someone is losing - probably me. It's them or us. It's a view of the world as a closed system.

• Apply this concept to finances: The rich would have a lot less if the poor were to have more than barely anything.
  • Social interactions: If I’m friends with you, I don’t have any friendship left over for that other person. So they’re not included in our group.
  • Classroom: We’re grading on a curve. So even if you do excellent work, you may get a low grade, because there are others who do more excellent work and somebody has to be on the bottom end of the curve.
  • Workplace: There are 2 positions open, with 10 applicants. Only 2 can get a job. The rest are losers.
It’s all about competition: The player who collects the most and makes it through the course is the winner. The others lose. Some people take game playing very seriously and will do just about anything to win.

The thing is, zero-sum thinking is just that: Thinking. It’s a psychological construct that could be based in facts, but often is not.

If success is measured by happiness, life is not a zero sum game because happiness is not a limited resource. Could that apply to other areas?

• At the end of our lives we have more skills, experiences and wisdom than when we entered it. (Hopefully a lot more of each if we played our cards right).
  • There is no limit to human creativity. E.g. two companies in the same industry who compete with each other, will actually grow the entire industry and both will profit. E.g. Apple and Samsung.
  • An act of kindness to another human being or animal can lead to a reciprocating action as a well as a friendship. So for zero net cost, you have now gained a friendship.
  • If there is only one promotion vacancy available and your competitor gets it but you think you could have done it, you can get that promotion at another company or start your own business. So you both win.
  • Let's imagine we are young men ( :lol: ) pursuing the same young lady. Surely this is a zero-sum game; one of us is going to be a winner, and the other will be the loser. But what if she chose neither of us? Did we both lose? But then let's suppose we each go on to meet someone even better suited to be a life partner: more beautiful, kinder, more in tune with our dreams & ambitions, absolutely committed to making the relationship work. Though there was an L in there for the short term, we both end up with a W, and it wouldn't have been possible without the relationship that never worked out.
Personally I don't think of life as a zero sum game. We live in a time of amazing abundance. There are new things being created, invented, perfected, every single day. Life gets better and better. I don't need to worry about the size of my slice of the pie (& the crumbs that fell off cutting it - those are mine too!) if the pie is getting bigger and bigger.

Zero-sum thinking limits us far more than it actually protects us. It divides us into winners and losers. Setting that thinking aside, we can find options. We can have a win-win instead. Sure,  there are times when resources or options are truly limited; zero-sum thinking might apply in those circumstances. But I would submit it's not nearly as many times as we are apt to think. Because options. There are so many options in life when we look for them. Options, alternatives, other ways of addressing the problem or issue. Other ways to move forward.

It starts with our thinking: A mindset of abundance, so let’s find options. Or a mindset of limited resources, so somebody wins and somebody loses. Which do we really prefer?

I appreciate your honesty here.

I think that worldview explains many of the answers in this thread. In game theory, it's called Zero-sum thinking. This zero-sum bias informs our thinking in any situation: resources are finite, and therefore your loss is my gain. If someone else is winning, then someone is losing - probably me. It's them or us. It's a view of the world as a closed system.

• Apply this concept to finances: The rich would have a lot less if the poor were to have more than barely anything.
  • Social interactions: If I’m friends with you, I don’t have any friendship left over for that other person. So they’re not included in our group.
  • Classroom: We’re grading on a curve. So even if you do excellent work, you may get a low grade, because there are others who do more excellent work and somebody has to be on the bottom end of the curve.
  • Workplace: There are 2 positions open, with 10 applicants. Only 2 can get a job. The rest are losers.
It’s all about competition: The player who collects the most and makes it through the course is the winner. The others lose. Some people take game playing very seriously and will do just about anything to win.

The thing is, zero-sum thinking is just that: Thinking. It’s a psychological construct that could be based in facts, but often is not.

If success is measured by happiness, life is not a zero sum game because happiness is not a limited resource. Could that apply to other areas?

• At the end of our lives we have more skills, experiences and wisdom than when we entered it. (Hopefully a lot more of each if we played our cards right).
  • There is no limit to human creativity. E.g. two companies in the same industry who compete with each other, will actually grow the entire industry and both will profit. E.g. Apple and Samsung.
  • An act of kindness to another human being or animal can lead to a reciprocating action as a well as a friendship. So for zero net cost, you have now gained a friendship.
  • If there is only one promotion vacancy available and your competitor gets it but you think you could have done it, you can get that promotion at another company or start your own business. So you both win.
  • Let's imagine we are young men ( :lol: ) pursuing the same young lady. Surely this is a zero-sum game; one of us is going to be a winner, and the other will be the loser. But what if she chose neither of us? Did we both lose? But then let's suppose we each go on to meet someone even better suited to be a life partner: more beautiful, kinder, more in tune with our dreams & ambitions, absolutely committed to making the relationship work. Though there was an L in there for the short term, we both end up with a W, and it wouldn't have been possible without the relationship that never worked out.
Personally I don't think of life as a zero sum game. We live in a time of amazing abundance. There are new things being created, invented, perfected, every single day. Life gets better and better. I don't need to worry about the size of my slice of the pie (& the crumbs that fell off cutting it - those are mine too!) if the pie is getting bigger and bigger.

Zero-sum thinking limits us far more than it actually protects us. It divides us into winners and losers. Setting that thinking aside, we can find options. We can have a win-win instead. Sure,  there are times when resources or options are truly limited; zero-sum thinking might apply in those circumstances. But I would submit it's not nearly as many times as we are apt to think. Because options. There are so many options in life when we look for them. Options, alternatives, other ways of addressing the problem or issue. Other ways to move forward.

It starts with our thinking: A mindset of abundance, so let’s find options. Or a mindset of limited resources, so somebody wins and somebody loses. Which do we really prefer?
I understand what you're saying about happiness, but this is actual money.  There is a finite amount of money that is going to be handed out to panhandlers.  If I see one panhandler, I give them $5.  If I see 20 panhandlers, I won't be giving each one $5.  So the more panhandlers we add, the less money there is in the overall pot that is collected each year.  But if we add scammers in with the panhandlers, less money goes to the actual people who need it.  

So, yes, I totally agree with everything you're saying.  But I don't believe that applies when we're looking at a situation where we have an actual set amount of money being handed out.  

I occasionally give a few bucks to homeless people.  I don't care what they do with it.  Better to let them get their fix begging than robbing people.
What they do with the money I give them speaks to them as a person.  Whether or not I choose to help or to not help someone when I have the ability to speaks to me as a person.

This is different from what i read. The only studies i saw that had %s that high were when they gave out gift cards and tracked the purchases because they had the card info. 

Obviously gift cards would skew heavily toward food. In fact fast food was the highest % iirc. 

The interview articles i have read re legit homeless panhandlers getting cash almost all said they spend it at a gas station. The nih data i read (old from 2002) had almost all of them buying cigarettes regularly. 

The questions asked matter a ton too. Even studies that show a high % of the money being spent on food still have the same people admitting to being alcoholics and drug addicts at fairly high %s. So that is a pretty disingenuous way of arguing that the money goes toward food. Thats different money i spend on those things. 

I also think you are completely misrepresenting that 94% figure. I am guessingvyou are quoting bay area study.

94% of them used the money for food. Well 44% used it for drugs or booze according to same study. 

See the issue with your statement? 

This is different from what i read. The only studies i saw that had %s that high were when they gave out gift cards and tracked the purchases because they had the card info. 

Obviously gift cards would skew heavily toward food. In fact fast food was the highest % iirc. 

The interview articles i have read re legit homeless panhandlers getting cash almost all said they spend it at a gas station. The nih data i read (old from 2002) had almost all of them buying cigarettes regularly. 

The questions asked matter a ton too. Even studies that show a high % of the money being spent on food still have the same people admitting to being alcoholics and drug addicts at fairly high %s. So that is a pretty disingenuous way of arguing that the money goes toward food. Thats different money i spend on those things. 

I also think you are completely misrepresenting that 94% figure. I am guessingvyou are quoting bay area study.

94% of them used the money for food. Well 44% used it for drugs or booze according to same study. 

See the issue with your statement? 
Does your employer follow you around to see if you’re hitting the liquor store after payday?

Most of us are cashless & walk around without any bills. Debit card for everything (though I usually carry some because so many restaurants are cash only or have a high vig if you swipe.)

If you’re worried the ROI on a couple bucks, maybe just answer (probably truthfully) “Sorry I don’t have any cash today” if you’re that concerned about how it’s going to be spent.

We’re literally talking about extending compassion in the form of a few dollars to the most vulnerable people. It’s not gonna move the needle in your life.

Just my  :2cents:  , feel free to hold another view.

I borrowed my neighbor's kids to use as props in order to get some free gas from kind folks at the local Racetrac. Only took 3 people to fill my tank.  Here I was paying for my own gas like some kind of sucker.

Does your employer follow you around to see if you’re hitting the liquor store after payday?

Most of us are cashless & walk around without any bills. Debit card for everything (though I usually carry some because so many restaurants are cash only or have a high vig if you swipe.)

If you’re worried the ROI on a couple bucks, maybe just answer (probably truthfully) “Sorry I don’t have any cash today” if you’re that concerned about how it’s going to be spent.

We’re literally talking about extending compassion in the form of a few dollars to the most vulnerable people. It’s not gonna move the needle in your life.

Just my  :2cents:  , feel free to hold another view.
Why does that matter?  I did an assigned task for an agreed upon set of money.  That transaction is completed.  I made no promise to my employer of what I would spend it on, and my employer doesn't care as long as I don't spend it on something that affects my job.

That is completely different from someone asking for money and offering nothing in return, but implying they are only asking for something for nothing because it is a just cause.

I borrowed my neighbor's kids to use as props in order to get some free gas from kind folks at the local Racetrac. Only took 3 people to fill my tank.  Here I was paying for my own gas like some kind of sucker.
Should have just sold the kids.  

Users who are viewing this thread