What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

8,000 CD's... (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
...now add......

The Best of the Chantels...big addition.

The Best of Southern Rock

Big Band Vocalists (Cab Calloway I didn't have)

The Wolf Man Jack Show......anyone remember him? 

The Carter Family....a few classics here I didn't have.  Them and Jimmie Rodgers the foundation of country music.

Lost Treasures......who is familiar with  Ersel Hickey, Ivan, Little Joe and the Thrillers, Gene Thomas, The Blendells, Big Dee Irwin?

Anthology of the Female Vocal Groups......The Cantels, Martha and the Vandella's, The Shirelles etc.

The Best of Gary "US" Bonds

Four bucks well spent.

All because I refused to pay 25 bucks for a hoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7cAZhW-WGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEh2rAj_9IU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akXU5n6AR1I

Last edited by a moderator:
My part-time gig back in my high school days was at The Record Shop. I had a stash of hundreds of records in the basement I set off to the side; my wish list.  Sadly, after Oscar died, his son did little to keep the place alive.  I wish I could go back in time and walk through the store, top-side and basement, and truly appreciate what was there.

Wolf Man Jack was an integral part of one of my favorite movies 
Back in the day it was....just who is this guy?  It was,...a black guy....a short Mexican...a white guy but strange. Nobody knew who he was, and he played a different kind of music than the norm.

You have different yard sales/junk stores then we have around here.
I have put together all the Conans, all the John Carter on Mars books hitting yard sales/thrift shops.  Yep, took years.  I;'ve found some outrageous deals....a mint condition John Elway RC...10 bucks.  A five CD set of Early Country Classics...a buck.  And on and on....

...now add......

The Best of the Chantels...big addition.

The Best of Southern Rock

Big Band Vocalists (Cab Calloway I didn't have)

The Wolf Man Jack Show......anyone remember him? 

The Carter Family....a few classics here I didn't have.  Them and Jimmie Rodgers the foundation of country music.

Anthology of the Female Vocal Groups......The Cantels, Martha and the Vandella's, The Shirelles etc.

The Best of Gary "US" Bonds
Good pull. Was it the Rhino version of The Best of Gary "US" Bonds? What labels put these out and are they the original recordings?

So in my quest for a cheap hoe, I found....

The Best of Jerry Lee Lewis.....a few gems I didn't have.

The Girl Group Sound....volumels Nine and Ten...Tons of new to me. Groups I;d never heard of before.

Roots of Rock 1945-1956, the star........Caldonia Louis Jordan

Street Corner Essentials....classic Doo ***, a lot where it's..????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR6pHtiNT_k

Good pull. Was it the Rhino version of The Best of Gary "US" Bonds? What labels put these out and are they the original recordings?
The Rhino version, all the original recordings. i do watch for that, have been burned with...New Studio Recordings in small print.

The Rhino version, all the original recordings. i do watch for that, have been burned with...New Studio Recordings in small print.
Very sweet on the Rhino version. I had that Gary "US" Bonds Rhino CD, but I probably dropped sixteen or seventeen bucks on it back when it came out.

Yeah, new studio recordings are the pits. When I used to find gems at the local truck stops on cassette for a radio show I was doing in the nineties, I'd make sure to check for that.

So many good '50s and '60s recordings at those truck stops.

Very sweet on the Rhino version. I had that Gary "US" Bonds Rhino CD, but I probably dropped sixteen or seventeen bucks on it back when it came out.

Yeah, new studio recordings are the pits. When I used to find gems at the local truck stops on cassette for a radio show I was doing in the nineties, I'd make sure to check for that.

So many good '50s and '60s recordings at those truck stops.
I really didn't know much about Bonds/Anderson until now thanks to the liner notes. That is what I like about CD's, usually get a history lesson.

Like most his...New Orleans/Quarter to Three were about it for me, not anymore.  I 'd mix him in with Fats Domino, Lloyd Price, Lee Dorsey, Ernie K. Doe, Bo Diddley, Chuck Willis, Big Joe Turner, Smiley Lewis.

Off-topic, my 14 year old daughter is an old soul. She just doesn't act like a teenager and has always "got" things when others are just oblivious. She recently has developed a love for 50's and 60's music specially doo-*** music like the Skyliners, the Platters or Frankie Lymon. I got her a pretty cool all in one record player from Victrola. We have been hitting all the used music shops around town buying old LPs.  It has just been a great time. She picked up Bill Haley and the Comets, Frankie Avalon and a surprisingly good copy of Abby Road last week. 

What prompted me to post was I showed her American Graffiti and of course Wolf Man's famous part in that. We have not found that soundtrack LP yet--but we did find More American Graffiti.  

Off-topic, my 14 year old daughter is an old soul. She just doesn't act like a teenager and has always "got" things when others are just oblivious. She recently has developed a love for 50's and 60's music specially doo-*** music like the Skyliners, the Platters or Frankie Lymon. I got her a pretty cool all in one record player from Victrola. We have been hitting all the used music shops around town buying old LPs.  It has just been a great time. She picked up Bill Haley and the Comets, Frankie Avalon and a surprisingly good copy of Abby Road last week. 

What prompted me to post was I showed her American Graffiti and of course Wolf Man's famous part in that. We have not found that soundtrack LP yet--but we did find More American Graffiti.  
How cool is that?

A few suggestions.

Maybe....The Chantels

Angel Baby....Rosie and the Originals

I Only Have Eyes For You....The Flamingos

In the Still of the Night....The Five Satins

Love Letters...Katty Lester

Hello Stranger....Barbara Lewis

Sea of Love....Phil Philips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvzNeh4Mq1o

Let''s see....

The Counts

Lee Andrews & The Hearts

The Shields

The Stereos

The Barons

Tootsie & The Versatiles

Darlene & The Jokers

The Kittens

The Tornados

Lee Scott & The Windsors

The Explorers

The Four Evers

The Ocapellos

....yep, me either.

ZenoRazon said:
Sure ya can, it wasn't the qualiy of the hoe, I just know I can pick one up at a yard sale/junk store for 5-10.
You need to be careful not to get diseases from hoes that cheap

My son needed a ride to work this morning his truck needs work.  On the drive over I notice a yard sale, will hit it on the way back.

It was one of those you have to drive a ways down a country road to find.

Anyway.....

A lot of tools, clothes, lamps, and....one CD.

A three CD/one DVD Set with a booklet breaking down the life of Stevie Ray Vaughn, it's all there, everything on SRV.  5 bucks.

Yep, a blessing in disguise. 

In the mid 50's Houston bluesman Larry Davis had a regional hit with his "Texas Flood"

Then there was this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVjdMLAMbM0

I learned this today, here is where Stevie got  Double Trouble from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2TvnZshoo8

According to Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy, the only gee-tar man superior to SRV was the great Jimi Hendrix.  I think SRV was great but  so are those guys and Duane Allman and hell....Django Rhinehart, Lonnie Johnson,Charley Christian, Wes Montgomery, a few others.

One of the really great musical decades was the 40's.  We saw the very first recordings of...

Hank Williams

Muddy Waters

John Lee Hooker

Lightnin' Hopkins

Frank Sinatra.....took off in the 40's.

The Mills Bros, The Ink Spots, Louis Jordan, The Big Bands were in vogue. So much great music in the decade.

Big fan of Vaughn Monroe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHo6ug6yAmw

Burl Ives did the original, but that is my fav cover, better than Johnny Cash, Peggy Lee, The Outlaws.

You need to be careful not to get diseases from hoes that cheap
I'll go slow, you can do this.

Ya know that tool you use to chop into dirt?  They call it a....hoe....honest, ok?  I broke mine and need another one.....ok?

ZenoRazon said:
Don't know much about football cards do you?
I had the entire '84 set. I gave away the John Elway card and was happy to do so. I felt the absence of that card improved the value of my entire collection.

Don't know much about sports and being a fan (or proper punctuation), do you?

ZenoRazon said:
I'll go slow, you can do this.

Ya know that tool you use to chop into dirt?  They call it a....hoe....honest, ok?  I broke mine and need another one.....ok?
Wow. I sure hope this is shtick.

I had the entire '84 set. I gave away the John Elway card and was happy to do so. I felt the absence of that card improved the value of my entire collection.

Um....do you have any more cards like that you want to give away 😜

What was the most valuable card in that 84 set?

Found a hoe at a yard sale for a ....buck.  This is a custom made one, a metal pole with a heavy hoe head sodered into the medal handle, so nothing to break.  Far better than what I had.

For me? Fouts or Chandler.
Most collectors look at it like this...

1984 Topps Football Loaded With Key Rookies

April 16, 2017 By Bob D'Angelo

The 1984 Topps football set is easily the most sought-after product of the 1980s and beyond, especially because of the great crop of rookies. Start with quarterbacks John Elway and Dan Marino; add running backs Eric Dickerson, Roger Craig and  Curt Warner; and throw in wide receivers Mark Duper and Willie Gault, and that’s quite a rookie card class.

Most collectors look at it like this...

1984 Topps Football Loaded With Key Rookies

April 16, 2017 By Bob D'Angelo

The 1984 Topps football set is easily the most sought-after product of the 1980s and beyond, especially because of the great crop of rookies. Start with quarterbacks John Elway and Dan Marino; add running backs Eric Dickerson, Roger Craig and  Curt Warner; and throw in wide receivers Mark Duper and Willie Gault, and that’s quite a rookie card class.
I know. I was a card collector and avid football fan at the time. I also tore up and threw out my Vernon Perry card. 

How about this mix....

Cab Calloway

Louis Jordan

Billie Holiday

The Ink Spots

Lena Horne

Count Basie

The Mills Brothers

Wynonnie Harris

Mildred Bailey

Duke Ellington

Big Joe Turner

Tearing up football cards?  How old were you then, sound like some kid.
Yes, in the mid-80's I was in high school. How old were you?

Also, you have no idea who Vernon Perry is, do you?

Yes, in the mid-80's I was in high school. How old were you?

Also, you have no idea who Vernon Perry is, do you?
Dude, I graduated HS in 1968, been into pro football since around 1958.  I know every football player being a serious historian, what do you want to know about Vernon Perry?

Huge HBCU fan also.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While here....

Add , The Best of The Shirelles....a two CD set.  The best of the female vocal groups, but....Maybe...by The Chantels;s the best song by a female vocal group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IePTH1PWzAs

ZenoRazon said:
 I know every football player being a serious historian, what do you want to know about Vernon Perry?
Knowing how I evaluated the 1984 Topps football set, why would I hate this player enough to tear up his card?

My part-time gig back in my high school days was at The Record Shop. I had a stash of hundreds of records in the basement I set off to the side; my wish list.  Sadly, after Oscar died, his son did little to keep the place alive.  I wish I could go back in time and walk through the store, top-side and basement, and truly appreciate what was there.
What a great article.  Thanks for sharing.  I bet Big Spring was a great place to grow up.

What a great article.  Thanks for sharing.  I bet Big Spring was a great place to grow up.
I would not go that far to say it was a great place.  I only attended high school for my last two years, in Coahoma, 10 miles down the road. Even though I was familiar with the place because much of my family lived there, it was culture shock moving there from Bucks County, PA.

But, I do miss it. 

I would not go that far to say it was a great place.  I only attended high school for my last two years, in Coahoma, 10 miles down the road. Even though I was familiar with the place because much of my family lived there, it was culture shock moving there from Bucks County, PA.

But, I do miss it. 
Fair.  I love West TX but most of my experiences are South of Big Spring.  Iraan and San Angelo are about as far North as I ever spent much time.

Fair.  I love West TX but most of my experiences are South of Big Spring.  Iraan and San Angelo are about as far North as I ever spent much time.
San Angelo is a nice little town. Drove the stretch from Big Spring dozens of times. Always stopped in Sterling City for the taco platter at DQ.  Good times.

Users who are viewing this thread