What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread - Sebestian (1 Viewer)

Mjolnirs

Footballguy
It is early for this, but the damn weather guy just showed a weather disturbance with a 10% chance of development.
It's not much of a chance, but enough to make go ahead and start this thread.
The season officially starts June 1st

2019 Names
Andrea
Barry
Chantal

Dorian
Erin
Fernand
Gabrielle
Humberto
Imelda
Jerry
Karen
Lorenzo 
Melissa
Nestor
Olga
Pablo
Rebekah
Sebastien
Tanya
Van
Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of forecasts showing an average number of storms predicted for the year.  There is a slight El Nino (-> more Atlantic wind shear -> fewer storms) forecast for now but a lot of uncertainty over whether it might strength later in the year (good), or even weaken towards a La Nina (-> less Atlantic wind shear -> more storms).

In the process of finishing our hurricane shelter (i.e. house in South Florida). We bailed to Panama City with the last hurricane that came through, Irma in 2017, but watching this house get built and the amount of cement and steel rebar that went into the foundation, walls and floors, I'm less interested in leaving now :oldunsure:  unless it's an ###-kicking Cat-5. 

In the process of finishing our hurricane shelter (i.e. house in South Florida). We bailed to Panama City with the last hurricane that came through, Irma in 2017, but watching this house get built and the amount of cement and steel rebar that went into the foundation, walls and floors, I'm less interested in leaving now :oldunsure:  unless it's an ###-kicking Cat-5. 
Made it through Michael ok? 

I am in Miami so there wasn't any impact from Michael. We are building at 14 feet above sea level which is pretty much the highest point in Miami. Don't have to worry about sea level rise or storm surge. Who knows, we may be oceanfront in 50 years. 
Oh, gotcha. Thought you meant you were in PC. Good luck with building your fortress. 

Latest models keep pushing this potential storm West. Looks to appear off Alabama coast then strengthen and loop towards Texas.

Formation chance through 5 days...high...70 percent

Man those models taking it up along the Mississippi is bad news  those folks sure don't need anything that could cause more flooding.

Man those models taking it up along the Mississippi is bad news  those folks sure don't need anything that could cause more flooding.
Yep, thankfully our local rivers have fallen a good bit the last couple of weeks, but I expect they will shoot right back up this weekend if we get anything close to what is being predicted currently. 

Right now it looks like a Cat 1 at landfall.  But it also looks like it could be slowing down it's westward movement, which could mean a further east landfall and slightly more time for intensification.

Either the UKMET is genius or off its rocker.  (Usually it's the latter, but not always.) 

Every model is bunched together sending it into LA.  UKMET has it hitting Houston.  :confused:

NWS meteorologist predicting up to TWENTY FIVE inches of rain in some localized areas. And 20 in widespread areas. It doesn't matter if it's a depression, storm, or hurricane at this point. There's not much of a way to prepare for 20-25 inches of rain. There's going to be some devastation. Here's to hoping it's minimal and in mostly unpopulated areas. 

NWS meteorologist predicting up to TWENTY FIVE inches of rain in some localized areas. And 20 in widespread areas. It doesn't matter if it's a depression, storm, or hurricane at this point. There's not much of a way to prepare for 20-25 inches of rain. There's going to be some devastation. Here's to hoping it's minimal and in mostly unpopulated areas. 
Yikes. Trade in your MJ card for an Ark.

One of the biggest issues with how we talk about tropical systems is the antiquated Category system.  There are a couple places out there trying new things, but Categories are terrible.

Reason why is all it does it rate the wind speed.  But water is the deadliest part of a tropical system, whether it be rainfall or storm surge.  In a case like this, people will hear "Tropical Storm" Barry and think, "No big deal."  But the fact is this is going to be much worse than a storm that has 120mph winds, affects an area 40 miles wide along the shore, and drops 5 inches of rain.  But people would be much more worried about that Cat 3 hurricane than this TS.

One of the biggest issues with how we talk about tropical systems is the antiquated Category system.  There are a couple places out there trying new things, but Categories are terrible.

Reason why is all it does it rate the wind speed.  But water is the deadliest part of a tropical system, whether it be rainfall or storm surge.  In a case like this, people will hear "Tropical Storm" Barry and think, "No big deal."  But the fact is this is going to be much worse than a storm that has 120mph winds, affects an area 40 miles wide along the shore, and drops 5 inches of rain.  But people would be much more worried about that Cat 3 hurricane than this TS.
Yep, exactly. And the report I read, that seemed to be what they were trying to convey to the public. That just because this isn't a hurricane, won't mean it's not going to wreck shop. Just hope people are listening. 

Yep, exactly. And the report I read, that seemed to be what they were trying to convey to the public. That just because this isn't a hurricane, won't mean it's not going to wreck shop. Just hope people are listening. 
They should come up with the Big Mutha####a Scale:

BMF 1: Not bad. You can stay home and eat Cheetos and drink your beer. Enough rain to water your plants.

BMF 2: It's gonna be windy. Do what you did in BMF 1 but tie down your patio furniture and roll up the car windows.

BMF 3: Go to the store before the rest of the coon-asses get all the bread, milk, and booze.

BMF 4: Batten down the hatches. Fill the tubs with water. Make "Rescue Me" signs. 

BMF 5: GET THE FOOK OUT!

TheIronSheik said:
Either the UKMET is genius or off its rocker.  (Usually it's the latter, but not always.) 

Every model is bunched together sending it into LA.  UKMET has it hitting Houston.  :confused:
TABS track looks more interesting

Weather Channel desperately trying to gin up the drama on Barry. Looks like a dry air shear coming in from AL is choking it and now they are talking about the rain.

Weather Channel desperately trying to gin up the drama on Barry. Looks like a dry air shear coming in from AL is choking it and now they are talking about the rain.
Calling it: the New Orleans metro area is in the clear from Barry. If something is going to happen, it’ll be worst 50 miles to the west.

Calling it: the New Orleans metro area is in the clear from Barry. If something is going to happen, it’ll be worst 50 miles to the west.
Rain is the problem.  Those huge swaths of rain to the SE of the center are going to be rolling over NO for two days.  

I get you, GB.  Unfortunately, any replacement system may confuse the general public...at least that's my fear.

Users who are viewing this thread