What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need help, this is really rough (1 Viewer)

prosopis

Arizona Chupacabra
My dog who is one of my best friends is dying. He is drinking tons of water, lots of panting, has stopped eating, backend not working so well. He is not in any pain. I can see in his eyes that he is not in pain and is still with me mentally. This has been coming on for a week and got real bad the last two days. Right now I just sit with him petting him gently, talking in a soothing voice, telling him its ok to go. Its just really painful emotionally and I am struggling. Other then going to a vet to put him down does anyone know of a painless humane way to finish this process. In the past I have put my own animals down Old Yeller style which while I can do it takes a great toll on me. I dont want to go that route as he is not in any pain to justify it. I was really hoping he would have passed over night but that did not happen.

Any recommendations? 

He was the runt of the litter and I bottle fed him from the get go as his mom would not let him breast feed. He has been by my side 100% of the time since. This is really hurting me. Super hard going to work and hiding in a closet to cry.

I have looked on google and only thing I can find is confirmation that this is the end.

That sucks.  I would suggest calling your vet and seeing if they know of a vet that does this type of house call.

Honestly, is it money or availability with respect to not wanting a vet? An explanation would help your readers/counsel.

Similar situation in our household recently.

Get him to the vet ASAP.  High probability that this is the end for him and you should have the vet put him down peacefully after they evaluate him.

If the dog isn't eating, there's a good chance he is in pain.  Dogs are very proud and more reluctant than humans to show signs of pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, what everyone else said. Take him to the vet. Unfortunately this is part of the process. I have a couple of my own that will be going through this sooner rather than later.

Just keep loving on him.

I'm really sorry prosopis.  This is the worst responsibility as a dog owner but it just might be the most important.

May aunt is a vet and told us that panting can be a sign of a dog being in pain.  Go to the vet and have your boy checked out at a minimum. 

When the time does come, I'd look into having a vet come to your house to put him to sleep.  I've never done this, but plan to going forward.  Good luck.   

While it doesn’t sound good my dog had a similar issue a few months back, ended up being a ruptured disk in his back and steroids and rest got him back to normal 

But with the not eating and drinking lots of water I’d lean more towards kidney failure 

Animals are stoic creatures, and can hide pain better than us humans, but there are signs. Animals don't have to cry out to be in pain.  Not eating, panting, being quiet, hiding, depressed etc can be signs.  You also say his back end isn't working well. It seems your fella is struggling, and you don't want him to completely suffer.  Fortunately us humans can help release our furry loved ones from having to suffer. One of the greatest acts of love you can give your buddy is letting him go, and helping him to do so. I suggest you take him to the vet. I'm sorry you and your pal are going through this. 

This is going to be pretty unanimous.. Time to go to the vet.  Whoever said dogs hide pain better than humans is 100% correct.  Just because you dog is not showing signs of pain doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.  One of the best things we can give our four legged friends that we sadly can't give our loved ones is an end to the suffering.  I have cried like a baby every time that it has gotten to this point with one of my dogs, but I'm always grateful I could end the suffering if needed.  

:cry: :cry:

Sorry it sucks. Take him to the vet man. Had the exact same happen to my childhood dog (water/not eating/panting/backside). Believe it was kidney failure. 

We had litter mates for 9 years -- black lab/bassett hound mixes.  Last summer one got cancer and passed away.  In January the other one was drinking a ton of water, not eating much, and basically a zombie.  Move his paw to awkward position and he would just leave it there.  We took him to vet and basically it was "we don't know for sure, but can do expensive surgery that may or may not help."   We chose to bring him home and prepare to put him down in a few days.  The vet gave him IV liquids to hydrate him and steroids to stimulate his appetite.

Crazy, but a couple days later he perked up.  We got another weeks worth of steroids and he was eating and drinking normally and excited to go on walks.  Here it is May and he seems as spry as ever.

We spent about $1500 on tests and crap to basically have the vet say they did not know what was wrong, but $25 worth of steroids and an IV seemed to do the trick.  If I had to do it again, knowing what I know now, I would take the dog in to get an IV and ask for steroids to stimulate his appetite.  If the IV and steroids did not work we were going have someone come put him down at home.

I know it sucks and hope for the best for you and your dog.

Thanks for the replies. 

My dog is old enough that I can't justify spending a lot of money on vet. I also think that would freak my dog way out. He is very anxious around everyone except me. Getting his vaccination shots was a nightmare. So much that he has never gotten his booster shots. 

I don't want to lie to anyone here so I'm gonna lay it out there. As much as I love my dog,cats,chickens etc..... I do realize they are animals and I can't really justify any even moderate medical bill. I am in shock when I hear about people spending thousands on vet bills. I know someone who just had their dogs acl repaired. Thats not something I'm willing to do. Having said that I want to stress how much I love these animals and have developed real relationships. Like I said he is one of my best friends. I do think I would know if he was in pain and I don't think he is. I do think he is feeling sad, confused, and depressed. From what I have read the breathing and the back end not working well is a sign of the end is near. 

I was hoping to find a magic pill I could give him. I just want him to go to sleep and painlessly slip away. I have been telling him that its ok to move on. 

#### this is really hard.

Losing a pet can be as tough as losing a person.  Sorry for your loss...

The cost isn't as much as you might think to have the Vet help take him over the Rainbow bridge and in my experience with 3 dogs plus a cat they make it very comfortable for the dog/cat by giving them a shot first to relax them and give you time with them. Then, when you are ready they give the final drug to send them on the way.

It is one of the toughest things I've gone through many times, but in the end very much worth the :cry:

Thanks for the replies. 

My dog is old enough that I can't justify spending a lot of money on vet. I also think that would freak my dog way out. He is very anxious around everyone except me. Getting his vaccination shots was a nightmare. So much that he has never gotten his booster shots. 

I don't want to lie to anyone here so I'm gonna lay it out there. As much as I love my dog,cats,chickens etc..... I do realize they are animals and I can't really justify any even moderate medical bill. I am in shock when I hear about people spending thousands on vet bills. I know someone who just had their dogs acl repaired. Thats not something I'm willing to do. Having said that I want to stress how much I love these animals and have developed real relationships. Like I said he is one of my best friends. I do think I would know if he was in pain and I don't think he is. I do think he is feeling sad, confused, and depressed. From what I have read the breathing and the back end not working well is a sign of the end is near. 

I was hoping to find a magic pill I could give him. I just want him to go to sleep and painlessly slip away. I have been telling him that its ok to move on. 

Here's what my boss did when he had to put down a dog:

1. dig large hole in backyard

2. put dog food in hole.

3. let dog walk into hole and eat dog food.

4. shoot dog.

5. fill hole.

Thanks for the replies. 

If it is the end the vet can help your buddy . If you call and let them know the story I’m sure the can take care of him at the end of the day when all the other pets are gone. 

Here's what my boss did when he had to put down a dog:

1. dig large hole in backyard

2. put dog food in hole.

3. let dog walk into hole and eat dog food.

4. shoot dog.

5. fill hole.
This is how I usually handle it. While I can and have done this I was looking for another way. It's one of the most difficult things I have done and leaves a mark on your soul. Shooting your best friend even when you know it is the right thing to do is not easy. Right now the best outcome for me would be that he pass away tonight while we are watching the baseball game. That is one of his favorite things to do with me. Chill, watch baseball, eat some snacks,nap. I'm really hoping for a natural passing here.

He also likes Game of Thrones. I would say the dragon show is on and he would go right to the tv. I think he even knew the schedule of it being on Sunday nights.

Get him to the vet. 

Some tough advice here, but when it's time to put him down, don't wait until the last minute.  Our dog deteriorated extremely quickly in her last 2-3 days.  We selfishly put it off when we should have ended the suffering earlier.

Yeah I had a Lab with very similar symptoms. It came out of nowhere and there was nothing vet could do for him. I would take him to the vet to be sure and if they cant help him, i'm so sorry, I know how hard it is. I've had to do it too many times.

Honestly, and this will most likely come off as doushie to you, but you shouldn't own a dog if you aren't willing to spend the hundred or two it would take to put him down when the time comes. 

Not fair to the dog.

(And I grew up on a farm where my dad did the ole yeller treatment. It ain't right)

We could probably come up with enough in this thread to get to him to the vet. I haven’t owned a dog since I was young, how much are we talking? 

This is how I usually handle it. While I can and have done this I was looking for another way. It's one of the most difficult things I have done and leaves a mark on your soul. Shooting your best friend even when you know it is the right thing to do is not easy. Right now the best outcome for me would be that he pass away tonight while we are watching the baseball game. That is one of his favorite things to do with me. Chill, watch baseball, eat some snacks,nap. I'm really hoping for a natural passing here.
Sad, confused, depressed, the breathing, the back end not working, has stopped eating, panting, drinking tons of water, and so on. Your dog is suffering, and I guarantee you that your dog is in some type of pain.  If you aren't having your dog cremated, the cost of putting an animal down isn't a lot, and even an animal shelter will show your dog some mercy and will do it for you. You say it is painful emotionally for you and you are struggling, which I'm sure is true, but your dog  is feeling it so much more. Help him, and I don't mean dig a hole and put a bullet in his head.  A lot of vets will do payment plans if need be. While you wish for a natural passing, your best friend is suffering, and that isn't natural. 

I am not trying to be an ###, but putting my 20 year old cat down last year was one of the worst things I have ever done--especially since I held him as he passed--but what sucked equally is getting a new kitten 8 months later and having to put  this little thing down right away because he had FIP.

Man, I appreciate what you are going through, but what you are doing is borderline animal cruelty. Your best friend is suffering--call an in-home service to euthanize him. If you can't afford it, bottom line you can't afford having a pet. They are compassionate and most work with you.

Give him the decency and respect he deserves--no not deserves--he earned.

Hang in there, pro.... :(

Dude - he's suffering and googling the symptoms or asking us here is not going to do you any good; all it's going to do is stress you out and prolong his suffering.  Do what's right and get him to the vet yesterday.  You're making a big assumption that this is the end - let a professional confirm that before you make a rash decision.

I'll pitch in to help on the vet bill also.

Last dog I took to the emergency vet clinic in the middle of the night several years ago charged me $25 to euthanize him. 

I really am not looking for a debate in here. I was just looking for some magic Kevorkian recipe that would help. I am calling different vets to see if one would come out here. I am pretty rural out here. I would say that bringing him to a vet would increase his anxiety by about 1000% and would make it worse for him. I would even argue that going to a vet with any animal for the end is worse then a quick shot to the head. This in my opinion from what I have seen and tales I have been told by people in the vet field is true from the animals point of view. 

I break it down like this:

Trip tp vet, dog is terrified, smells all the vet smells, will be fighting me as much as he can to go in, once in it may take three people to pin him down and put in an IV, Now scared and wondering what is going on he will look at me blubbering and get more freaked out as he slips away

vs

The dog is walking in his backyard that he has ruled for many years and spent the happiest days of his life, there will be some good food there if he wants to eat it, suddenly the lights go out.

To me the at home death seems preferable to the dog. Preferable to me and my psyche? No, I will be a complete wreck for a good week.

Like I said I did not come here for a debate at this time. I know everyone in here means well and I thank you.

* I am calling some vets to see if they will come out. I do want the understanding that if the dog starts freaking they will just leave and I will deal with it. At home is the only way I would let a vet do this. Going somewhere is completely off the table. I may feel differently if the dog had a different mentality. I can't express how anxious this dog got with a vet or even strangers. I doubt I could even easily get him in the car. If he was a dog who did not mind the vet, car, strangers etc.. we would probably already be done with this but thats not what I have here so I am dealing with it best I can.

I would again strongly recommend a veterinarian. The title of the thread has "help" in it, and the OP asks for " any recommendations?" So far, the overwhelming and unprompted response has been to tell you to call or get to a vet. It's probably like around 25-2 (one being yourself). That should tell you something. If it wasn't up for debate or discussion, and you just wanted sympathy without debate, you should have left it in a way where your situation and fixed solution didn't so immediately prompt debate.

To be clear, I am also against treating animals -- even pets -- as human, nor do I judge those who do or do not rack up huge bills to try and save their pets from serious ailments. Some people cannot afford it, some people want to, etc. 

My thoughts are indeed with you during this difficult time for you, though. I just hope you do right by your bud. 

I really am not looking for a debate in here. I was just looking for some magic Kevorkian recipe that would help. I am calling different vets to see if one would come out here. I am pretty rural out here. I would say that bringing him to a vet would increase his anxiety by about 1000% and would make it worse for him. I would even argue that going to a vet with any animal for the end is worse then a quick shot to the head. This in my opinion from what I have seen and tales I have been told by people in the vet field is true from the animals point of view. 

I break it down like this:

Trip tp vet, dog is terrified, smells all the vet smells, will be fighting me as much as he can to go in, once in it may take three people to pin him down and put in an IV, Now scared and wondering what is going on he will look at me blubbering and get more freaked out as he slips away

vs

The dog is walking in his backyard that he has ruled for many years and spent the happiest days of his life, there will be some good food there if he wants to eat it, suddenly the lights go out.

To me the at home death seems preferable to the dog. Preferable to me and my psyche? No, I will be a complete wreck for a good week.

Like I said I did not come here for a debate at this time. I know everyone in here means well and I thank you.

* I am calling some vets to see if they will come out. I do want the understanding that if the dog starts freaking they will just leave and I will deal with it. At home is the only way I would let a vet do this. Going somewhere is completely off the table. I may feel differently if the dog had a different mentality. I can't express how anxious this dog got with a vet or even strangers. I doubt I could even easily get him in the car. If he was a dog who did not mind the vet, car, strangers etc.. we would probably already be done with this but thats not what I have here so I am dealing with it best I can.
Sounds like you’re the anxious one. And you are the one who is making this more difficult. Just being honest here. 

If you're certain he's going to die, can you pay someone to put him down and bury him for you at your house?

Pro it is tough I get it. I have had four cats in my life and all of them have meant the world to me. My first one was really sick when he was six. We did all we could to keep him alive, but it became unfair to him and us. We made the decision to euthanize him. As I was driving him to the vet, he had a seizure and died in my arms on the side of the road. 

So I get your apprehension to put your guy through the whole vet routine. I guarantee if you do a search for at home euthanasia, you will find several in your area that will come to you. Just reading your posts, it seems like this would be the best route for you personally,  so you don’t have to live with the pain of having to do that your friend. 

My dog who is one of my best friends is dying. He is drinking tons of water, lots of panting, has stopped eating, backend not working so well. He is not in any pain. I can see in his eyes that he is not in pain and is still with me mentally. This has been coming on for a week and got real bad the last two days. Right now I just sit with him petting him gently, talking in a soothing voice, telling him its ok to go. Its just really painful emotionally and I am struggling. Other then going to a vet to put him down does anyone know of a painless humane way to finish this process. In the past I have put my own animals down Old Yeller style which while I can do it takes a great toll on me. I dont want to go that route as he is not in any pain to justify it. I was really hoping he would have passed over night but that did not happen.

Any recommendations? 

He was the runt of the litter and I bottle fed him from the get go as his mom would not let him breast feed. He has been by my side 100% of the time since. This is really hurting me. Super hard going to work and hiding in a closet to cry.
I put one of my best buds down about 8 years ago.  I knew he wasn’t feeling so well so I put him on one of those round fence kennel things in my kitchen so he didn’t poop anywhere.  I went home to check on him at lunch.  He was panting and I found him with his head in his water bowl.  He was in rough shape.  I took him to the vet and it was kidney failure.  They told me I could take him to the LSU vet school but not sure he would make the drive there.  I had to make one of the toughest choices I ever had to make and that was putting him down.  It was the right thing to do, but it was hard.  I took the rest of the day off of work and cried in bed.  I was 33 at the time.

I lasted 2 weeks and it wasn’t the same without him.  I went and found another long haired dachshund in the paper, and adopted her.  To this day I miss my bud Sam.  This other dog isn’t the same but I know I did the right thing by putting him down.  Ok I am just rambling now.

Pro....

I was a 33 year old man crying like a baby.  I held his paw as they injected him and I had to leave and let my wife take care of the bill.  Big mistake by the way as she opted for cremating him at $500!, but that’s besides the point.  If it’s time it’s time.  It’s going to be hard.  I had to tell myself that I really couldn’t tell if he was suffering because he was always so happy,  it when I saw him passed out in his water bowl I knew.  It’s going to be ok bud.

Users who are viewing this thread