Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Diontae Johnson, Steelers

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

Let's not forget that Ben loves Ju-Ju.

Ben's loved a lot of WR's over the years and has had not problem moving on to the next one.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Ben's loved a lot of WR's over the years and has had not problem moving on to the next one.

 

Why should he like ju-ju any less?   It's not like Smith-Schuster is devoid of talent.

Edited by JohnnyU
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Why should he like ju-ju any less  It's not like Smith-Schuster is devoid of talent.

Who said he had to like JuJu any less?  Your contstant JuJu references in the Diontae Johnson thread is  frankly a tired spiel and my only regret is feeding it in anyway.

Ben's had a ton of #1WR's over the year and he's adjusted quite well with different #1 WR's. Except for that 1.5 games last year JuJu has never been that guy. But when he had two good WR's in 2018 both caught over 100 passes. So for me while wondering which one of Diontae or JuJu is actually a better football player is of interest to me as a football fan and as a Steelers fan but for fantasy debating which WR Ben likes more or how they fit in his hierarchy for this next season is of zero consequence to me and as it should be to anyone when his last full season he showed he can feed multiple WR's.

And as this relates to dynasty the way this is going to work out is the only way JuJu makes it back in 2021 is if he has another bad year. There is close to no chance he has a big rebound year and returns in 2021 so again why continue to bring up JuJu constantly in the Diontae thread?

 

Edited by menobrown
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, menobrown said:

so again why continue to bring up JuJu constantly in the Diontae thread?

 

Because there seems to be an agreement among some that Johnson will be the #1WR in Pittsburgh and I believe that is still Smith-Schuster.  Now that doesn't mean Johnson can't have a 1000 yd season if he's #2, because if the Steelers rock with a renewed offense and a healthy and productive Roethlisberger, there will be plenty to go around.  Last year was a throw away because Ben was out and they had garbage at the QB position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Let's not forget that Ben loves Ju-Ju.

Like most QBs he loves whoever gets open and whoever he he can trust 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Why should he like ju-ju any less?   It's not like Smith-Schuster is devoid of talent.

I don’t think he likes him any less. IF they all 3 stay healthy all year I could see them become a 1A and 1B. If that happens, I thin JJSS would be the 1A but Johnson would not be far behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Because there seems to be an agreement among some that Johnson will be the #1WR in Pittsburgh and I believe that is still Smith-Schuster.  Now that doesn't mean Johnson can't have a 1000 yd season if he's #2, because if the Steelers rock with a renewed offense and a healthy and productive Roethlisberger, there will be plenty to go around.  Last year was a throw away because Ben was out and they had garbage at the QB position.

I don't think it's an agreement I think it's a discussion about who is the #1 WR.  Very different players who will be lined up an utilized in different ways. JuJu to me is a more of a possession YAC guy who will operate out of the slot more often, Diontae to me is a better outside receiver who can separate better. Traditionally I tend to view view the better outside WR as the true #1 and not the possession/slot guy but with respect to target share I'd go with JuJu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, menobrown said:

I don't think it's an agreement I think it's a discussion about who is the #1 WR.  Very different players who will be lined up an utilized in different ways. JuJu to me is a more of a possession YAC guy who will operate out of the slot more often, Diontae to me is a better outside receiver who can separate better. Traditionally I tend to view view the better outside WR as the true #1 and not the possession/slot guy but with respect to target share I'd go with JuJu.

Both could be very good.  Like sad, last year was a throw away because of horrible QB play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Diontae Johnson declared himself "100 percent" following offseason sports-hernia surgery.

Johnson said he suffered the injury in Week 2 last season. If so, it makes his rookie campaign all the more impressive after he led the wideouts in touchdown grabs, posting a 59-680-5 line with Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges throwing him the ball. Johnson is a popular year-two breakout candidate with Ben Roethlisberger back healthy under center. Johnson is currently being taken as the WR45 in the tenth round of fantasy drafts. He's a value at that price.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Aug 5, 2020, 11:43 AM ET

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have him as my WR3 in a very deep league and not much behind him/ my top 3 except projects and NFL roll players .........  can I count on him for 1000-6 ??  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, leave a whisper said:

have him as my WR3 in a very deep league and not much behind him/ my top 3 except projects and NFL roll players .........  can I count on him for 1000-6 ??  

Depends a lot on Big Ben. Given what I'm hearing from Steelers camp, I'd say you're a bit on the optimistic side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, leave a whisper said:

have him as my WR3 in a very deep league and not much behind him/ my top 3 except projects and NFL roll players .........  can I count on him for 1000-6 ??  

His ceiling is higher than that. I got his range between 875-1200. TD's are notoriously hard to predict but he does seem to have a nose for the endzone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nice to see that some in here have some optimism for him like myself.   I am having to decide whom to keep between Diontae Johnson and Michael Gallup, and  almost everywhere I look overwhelmingly has Gallup as the choice.   I personally see it closer than what I'm seeing on sites, consensus rankings and adp.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Truebluey said:

Depends a lot on Big Ben. Given what I'm hearing from Steelers camp, I'd say you're a bit on the optimistic side. 

What are you hearing from Steelers camp that makes you think 1000 and 6 is too optimistic?  I'm not following camp closely but Ben appears to be healthy and a it seems Johnson is looking pretty good so far.  Not trying to argue just wondering if I missed something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steeler said:

What are you hearing from Steelers camp that makes you think 1000 and 6 is too optimistic?  I'm not following camp closely but Ben appears to be healthy and a it seems Johnson is looking pretty good so far.  Not trying to argue just wondering if I missed something.

One reporter at camp said it looked like Ben was short arming it, and compared the throwing style to Philip Rivers. While it's turned out okay for Philip Rivers in his career, that's not typically how Ben throws.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

According to Dr Jesse, he'll be out a couple weeks. 

Is that Dr. Dan’s fourth or fifth alias?

  • Laughing 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate the timing of this. He needs to develop with Big Ben. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

According to Dr Jesse, he'll be out a couple weeks. 

Tomlin called him “day to day”

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

Tomlin called him “day to day”

Dr. Jesse says if players rush back from calf injuries, a two week injury becomes a 6 week injury. He says calf injuries are tricky because not a lot of blood flow goes there so recovery must be managed carefully. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Dr. Jesse says if players rush back from calf injuries, a two week injury becomes a 6 week injury. He says calf injuries are tricky because not a lot of blood flow goes there so recovery must be managed carefully. 

Who is Dr Jesse?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Who is Dr Jesse?

Never seen Full House?

  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JamboTaylor said:

Would you guys take Kareem Hunt for him?

Depends on my team but probably. I feel like I can find another WR easier than another Hunt. I'm a little worried the Browns sign him longer and then he is stuck in the 2 back committee role. Valuable but in that situation I'd rather have Johnson. So I would need to be confident he moves on in FA. IDK it's a good value comp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Diontae Johnson (leg) has missed the last five days of practice.

It's believed to be a calf issue, but we won't know unless the Steelers specify it since they're not required to produce injury reports. Johnson is a very popular year-two breakout candidate with a healthy Ben Roethlisberger back under center. The injury isn't believed to be serious, but any soft-tissue issue is worth monitoring. James Washington and rookie Chase Claypool are getting more reps in Johnson's absence.

SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter

Aug 24, 2020, 1:28 PM ET

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's missed 7 days now. Starting to get a little concerned.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Milkman said:

He's missed 7 days now. Starting to get a little concerned.......

"Practice?  We talkin bout... practice?  Not... not... not a game but practice?" - Allen Iverson

He's gonna be fine for a week 1 rollout, win your fantasy league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TVT 0 N S T A said:

"Practice?  We talkin bout... practice?  Not... not... not a game but practice?" - Allen Iverson

He's gonna be fine for a week 1 rollout, win your fantasy league. 

How do you know this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

How do you know this?

Other than an overall winner's hunch?  I mean, he played injured most of last year - you think he is going to allow a calf strain to stop him from playing week 1.  Ya'll talking about chemistry with Ben Roethlisberger - Ben has made worse players look relevant and, alternatively, Diontae Johnson was looking good with Mason Rudolph at QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

How do you know this?

He doesn't.

He needs this time with Big Ben. We'll see if he practices this week......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TVT 0 N S T A said:

Other than an overall winner's hunch?  I mean, he played injured most of last year - you think he is going to allow a calf strain to stop him from playing week 1.  Ya'll talking about chemistry with Ben Roethlisberger - Ben has made worse players look relevant and, alternatively, Diontae Johnson was looking good with Mason Rudolph at QB. 


A “winner’s hunch”? Can we please at least argue for things that exist when we’re debating on these boards, folks? Damn

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:


A “winner’s hunch”? Can we please at least argue for things that exist when we’re debating on these boards, folks? Damn

Don't let this guy bring you down. Winners like us should trust our hunches. They usually work out. That's why we're winners. 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jabarony said:

Don't let this guy bring you down. Winners like us should trust our hunches. They usually work out. That's why we're winners. 

Hey, I appreciate it.  I am just trying to be the voice of reason.  We are getting bent out of shape because a guy is out with a calf strain and concerned he won't have rapport with Big Ben.  Well, if you can catch passes and be productive with Mason Rudolph - I am going to exercise common sense and say he and Ben will be just fine.  I drafted him.  

I added that in the post prior, but this guy decided to latch onto the joke about a winner's hunch.  This is the world we live in.  

 

13 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:


A “winner’s hunch”? Can we please at least argue for things that exist when we’re debating on these boards, folks? Damn

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020 at 10:57 PM, JoeSteeler said:

Who is Dr Jesse?

It’s hard to take a guy named Dr. Jesse seriously.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diontae Johnson back at practice today. Great news if he doesn't have a setback he'll be ready week 1. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Diontae Johnson back at practice today. Great news if he doesn't have a setback he'll be ready week 1. 

There we gooooooo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


 

Quote

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

"(Diontae) Johnson was eased back in and made a couple of smooth catches, and Washington continued to show that he’s more than just a combat-catch receiver, hauling in passes near the sideline and over the middle, and also catching a touchdown."

https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1300789620939128833?s=21
 

Quote

PFF PIT Steelers @PFF_Steelers

Diontae Johnson caught 91% of the catchable targets thrown his way

#HereWeGo

https://twitter.com/pff_steelers/status/1300795549055152128?s=21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From today's pool report, sounds like Ben Roethlisberger had quite the connection with WR Diontae Johnson. He opened practice with a 30-yard strike to the second-year WR, who caught it in stride. He had three other significant completions to Johnson throughout practice.

https://twitter.com/bepryor/status/1301612822351286272?s=20

 

The breakout is coming. #1 WR in last years draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.