What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (3 Viewers)

They’re saying “knee” for juju, toe for Dionte.

i’m thinking “short week day off excuses”. Neither looked to be hurt in the slightest at any point of that football game. 
Maintenance day, maybe. Make sure they get a chance to let already creaky bodies heal some. I've Claypool dialed up on speed dial if I hear any different. Claypool scored a 90% grade from PFF.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Wait, what? He looked like he was in the best shape of his career. He was looking pudgy last couple of years, he looked thinner and in great shape on Monday night.

… He’s an NFL quarterback…They take hits. I think you’re making way too much out of one small hit that had him limp a little. we’ll see, but I’m skeptical Tomlin stops throwing the ball. 
Plus Ben has always been a drama queen who plays up injuries so he looks more heroic when he “overcomes” them.

Plus Ben has always been a drama queen who plays up injuries so he looks more heroic when he “overcomes” them.
Totally. I also think he sometimes does it to deke a defense. I distinctly remember him limping like he got shot after one play, (I forget the game, it was several years ago) and grabbing & rubbing his knee/leg in the huddle - PBP guy commenting on how bad it looked, them showing the hit on replay....next play was a QB draw and he ran for a dozen yards. When he got up he winked at the LB. It's part of his game. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Diontae Johnson on the injury report again with some kind of toe injury. He has basically been hurt his entire pro career. So not only can he not stay healthy, he can't get healthy in the first place. 

Might just be one of those guys that never realizes his potential because of a lack of health. 
Rotoworld take:

Diontae Johnson (toe) did not practice Wednesday.

Johnson was limited last week with a foot issue, so it may be the same injury. He ended up playing through it against the Giants and led the team with 10 targets, turning them into a 6-57-0 line on 86% of the snaps. The Steelers get a date with the Broncos' A.J. Bouye-less (shoulder) secondary in Week 2.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Sep 16, 2020, 4:03 PM ET

How many NFL games has Johnson missed in his career? 
Yeah he had a groin or some kind of hernia injury he played through most of last season. Maybe you're a glass is half full kind of person and that's wonderful but I don't see being on the injury report constantly but still playing all the time as a positive. 

Yeah he had a groin or some kind of hernia injury he played through most of last season. Maybe you're a glass is half full kind of person and that's wonderful but I don't see being on the injury report constantly but still playing all the time as a positive. 
I’m a glass half full guy as longs he keeps producing at the rate he did last year and Week 1

I’m a glass half full guy as longs he keeps producing at the rate he did last year and Week 1
I'm Diontae Johnson's biggest fan. Just like to stay fluid in my valuations. I'm not downgrading him at this point but I'm definitely making a note of the nagging injuries. If this is in fact another nagging injury and not just a rest day then he's literally never been 100% healthy in 17 career games. 

Steelers WR Diontae Johnson (toe) practiced in full Thursday. 

Johnson missed practice Wednesday but appears on track to play against Denver this week. Despite a spotty first half against the Giants on Monday night, Johnson led the Steelers in targets (10), catching six balls for 57 yards. With that kind of volume, he could have a far higher fantasy floor than once thought. 

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter 

Sep 17, 2020, 3:41 PM ET

Why didn’t I start him the last two weeks?    I’m an idiot.   
You are not the only one.  I benched him and Metcalf in favor of OBJ and Parris Campbell (he had an enticing matchup with Vikings).   My question is... With given steady target volume,  is DJ match-up proof?  

You are not the only one.  I benched him and Metcalf in favor of OBJ and Parris Campbell (he had an enticing matchup with Vikings).   My question is... With given steady target volume,  is DJ match-up proof?  
Nice.    Glad to see I’m not the only one that started Campbell over D.J. this week.   If not for the injury, Campbell may have had a good day so our logic may not have been wrong.    However, it certainly looks like Johnson is going to be a big part of the Steeler passing game most weeks.   Johnson is my WR3 moving forward assuming Golladay is back as my 1.   I answered your question in a roundabout way but I think Johnson is a solid WR2.   

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Diontae Johnson has a lingering toe injury.

Johnson has been listed on the injury report the last two weeks. He may be limited in practice, but this shouldn’t keep him out. Johnson is coming off a 8/92/1 line and leads the Steelers with 23 targets.

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Post Gazette

Sep 23, 2020, 9:55 AM ET

Diontae Johnson (toe) did not practice Wednesday.

JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) was also sidelined. It's the same routine the duo followed last week before playing against the Broncos. Johnson hung an 8-92-1 on Denver and leads the Steelers with 23 targets. He'll be a WR2 with upside against Houston.

Sep 23, 2020, 3:48 PM ET

Got laughed out of the thread last year for this beauty. 
Looked for him everywhere last year and this because of your certitude and a belief in a Milkman from the internet zapped over my computer was right on. After watching a game or two, I believed. He got scooped up in one my leagues, but I got him in another. I still want to weep about dynasty because I tried to get him as a throw-in this summer from a Pittsburgh homer in a Julio Jones trade and was rebuffed, with the guy telling me that Johnson was going to be huge and was virtually untouchable.

Let's hope for his health here. 

Looking for a price check on Diontae.  What's the crossover point in value to RB's now?

Non-ppr - would David Johnson be about right or is more needed?

PPR - I assume it would take a low end RB1 or high RB2 to get him from some one.

Looking for a price check on Diontae.  What's the crossover point in value to RB's now?

Non-ppr - would David Johnson be about right or is more needed?

PPR - I assume it would take a low end RB1 or high RB2 to get him from some one.
Diontae should be valued as a WR1 because by all indication he's the #1 in PIT. If his perceived value in your league is lower, then go get him. If you have him, price him accordingly.

creepythinman said:
Diontae should be valued as a WR1 because by all indication he's the #1 in PIT. If his perceived value in your league is lower, then go get him. If you have him, price him accordingly.
I hope that you are correct for the sake of my team but I think JuJu and Johnson are going to be targeted equally.   I don’t there is a true WR1 in Pittsburgh.   JuJu is a very good WR

I hope that you are correct for the sake of my team but I think JuJu and Johnson are going to be targeted equally.   I don’t there is a true WR1 in Pittsburgh.   JuJu is a very good WR
Personally I've always considered JuJu an above average possession receiver that greatly benefited from Antonio Brown drawing double and triple coverage, leaving him wide open on crossing routes, and who fell on his face the first time he was the #1. IF Diontae starts drawing the doubles, JuJu could pop again.

Diontae may be "accidentally" getting twice the targets of JuJu in 2 games. Or it could be simply that Ben recognizes that Diontae is far more explosive than JuJu and easily the better route runner and sees Antonio Brown 2.0 in him.

Fun stat: As a rookie, Diontae Johnson had the second-best year among all NFL wide receivers between 2017-2019 at creating separation from coverage on short passes.

You guys are killing me with the comps to AB and Tyreek.   Diontae has a long way to go before he is either.   I’m not saying it isn’t possible but it seems way too early.   

You guys are killing me with the comps to AB and Tyreek.   Diontae has a long way to go before he is either.   I’m not saying it isn’t possible but it seems way too early.   
He looks just like AB when he plays. He's not Tyreek at all but he might be better for FF than Tyreek is. 

Users who are viewing this thread