Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Diontae Johnson, Steelers

13 minutes ago, creepythinman said:

Fun stat: As a rookie, Diontae Johnson had the second-best year among all NFL wide receivers between 2017-2019 at creating separation from coverage on short passes.

Ooooohhhh I likey! Who was first?

11 minutes ago, IHEARTFF said:

probably Tyreek

Incidentally, I think Diontae is about to go "Tyreek" on the league.

You guys are killing me with the comps to AB and Tyreek.   Diontae has a long way to go before he is either.   I’m not saying it isn’t possible but it seems way too early.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

You guys are killing me with the comps to AB and Tyreek.   Diontae has a long way to go before he is either.   I’m not saying it isn’t possible but it seems way too early.   

It's coming...

• Laughing 1

12 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

He looks just like AB when he plays. He's not Tyreek at all but he might be better for FF than Tyreek is. 

55 minutes ago, creepythinman said:

Diontae may be "accidentally" getting twice the targets of JuJu in 2 games. Or it could be simply that Ben recognizes that Diontae is far more explosive than JuJu and easily the better route runner and sees Antonio Brown 2.0 in him.

23/14 in targets but 14/13 in receptions.  Is it his route running or separation that's the problem?  Or does Ben have a problem throwing it to him?

4 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

23/14 in targets but 14/13 in receptions.  Is it his route running or separation that's the problem?  Or does Ben have a problem throwing it to him?

I actually read earlier that Ben hasn't been anticipating DJ's speed, and has thrown behind him on a few occasions. You have to figure Ben is throwing to open receivers, and Johnson gets great separation regularly.

• Like 1

In my contract keeper league we can start 3 WR's and right now I'm rostering Godwin and Evans plus Diontae and JuJu. Nice problem to have but someone gets the bench each week.

1 hour ago, Hu-Tang Clan said:

In my contract keeper league we can start 3 WR's and right now I'm rostering Godwin and Evans plus Diontae and JuJu. Nice problem to have but someone gets the bench each week.

That is a nice problem and fortunate when any of them are dinged.  

6 hours ago, That one guy said:

Rebuild and D Henry just wasn’t gonna do me any good...gave Henry and got Diontae + 2021 1st

I love Henry, but wouldn't trade DJ plus the pick for him.

6 hours ago, tricky92 said:
6 hours ago, tangfoot said:

I actually read earlier that Ben hasn't been anticipating DJ's speed, and has thrown behind him on a few occasions. You have to figure Ben is throwing to open receivers, and Johnson gets great separation regularly.

:thumbup:

It takes time for connection to be fully developed.  Prior to this season, Johnson had less than year with Roethlisberger last year.  The fact that Roethlisberger admitted the need to trust his receivers particularly with Johnson bodes well for him.  And they both are taking initiative to improve their connection even now.   I like the fact that Roethlisberger continued to target Johnson in the season-opener even after his bout of jittery (and miffed punt return, resulting fumble loss).    

Don't worry, boys... Johnson will be WR1 by end of season this year.   I would be extremely happy if he produces 75% of AB during his best years with Roethlisberger.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Faust said:

This is great read and the following excerpt have reinforced my belief on Johnson's potential this year.  

It will just take some time for Johnson and Roethlisberger to get fully on the same page.

Roethlisberger has seemingly force-fed Johnson the first two weeks of the season. That alone says that he realizes what a talent Johnson is on film. There is no doubt that Johnson is one of the shiftiest receivers in the league and a superb route runner to top it off. Roethlisberger recognizes that.

These great duos need time to mesh their styles together. Johnson is unlike any receiver Roethlisberger has ever had in his career. That is true for any new wide receiver a quarterback gets. However, as we can see with Chase Claypool, a full offseason gives Roethlisberger enough time to trust and feel out any given receiver. That is not true for Johnson, who missed time with that calf injury.

A friendly reminder from page one:

'He checked all of the boxes'

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:00 AM

Why you should be excited about third-round pick Diontae Johnson:

He's special: Johnson, a 5-foot-10, 183-pound wide receiver from Toledo, produced four return scores (two on punts and two on kickoffs) over the last two seasons. He averaged 20.2 yards per punt return and 23.4 yards per kickoff return at Toledo.

He's decorated: Johnson was the MAC Special Teams Player of the Year, first-team all-MAC at punt returner and wide receiver and second-team at kickoff returner in 2018.

He's productive: Johnson caught 137 passes for 2,276 yards and 24 touchdowns in 38 games at Toledo. His best season was in 2017, when he caught 74 passes for 1,278 yards ( a Toledo single-season record) and 13 touchdowns and led the MAC in all-purpose yards per game (148.0).

He has character and charisma: "I fell in love with him after spending time with him, dining with him, and talking to him, seeing his passion for the game, his passion for wanting to be great, and his passion for his teammates," Steelers wide receivers coach Darryl Drake said. "As you get to be around him, you're going to love his smile and his personality and his style of play. 

"I went to Toledo and spent some time there and with him. I also attended his Pro Day and I met him at the Combine. I had time to really be around him because it was important to me what kind of character he had. That's extremely important and he checked all of the boxes as far as that's concerned.

"I've been doing this for 40 years, and he was one of the best interviews and guys that I've been around in a long time."

The Steelers beat the Bucs to the punch:"There were so many people at his Pro Day and there were so many coaches who were at that Pro Day and everybody raved about this kid, so he probably would not be around (past the third round)," Drake said. "I know for a fact Tampa Bay was going to take him on their next pick, and I got cussed out by the Tampa Bay head coach who called me some names for taking him because that was his guy.

"We all talk, receiver coaches talk. He was the one guy everybody talked about, and there wasn't one guy who didn't like this guy." 

He's Roy Hobbs: General Manager Kevin Colbert, like Drake, was effusive in is praise of Johnson.

"Diontae Johnson is a nice insider-, outside-capable receiver that does both punt and kick returns," Colbert assessed. "When we talked about Diontae in our meetings, Phil Kreidler, our scouting coordinator, when he read his report on Diontae was just kind of funny. I know Coach Drake used the same terms, but (Kreidler) must've said 'natural' five times.

"It's just what we believe, that this kid is just a natural football talent."

Tex

He does not show quite the almost ridiculous quick twitch moves that AB had and the almost as ridiculous contested catch hands AB had but this is year two and I'd love to see a side by side at the same time because it looks eerily the same and I only really recall AB at his peak (end).  DJ might be even better in the open field - returning the ball has taught him to cut up field where occasionally A.B would dance.  

At 20 games in and only 5 with Ben he is playing at what looks like an easy 100+ catch pace.  We'll see what happens when they start to roll coverage because that is coming.

Just for fun

Diontae Johnson

Diontae Lamarcus Johnson

Position: WR

5-10, 183lb (178cm, 83kg)

Antonio Brown

Antonio Brown  (AB, Mr. Big Chest, MBC or Ronald Ocean)

Position: WR Throws: Left

5-10, 185lb (178cm, 83kg)

Brooke Pryor

⁦‪@bepryor⁩

Ben Roethlisberger said he was going to focus on building his connection with WR Diontae Johnson this week.

Johnson said he felt that in Thursday and Friday's practice:

"Mostly every play, the ball was coming my way. Had to make sure I was getting out of my breaks on time."

9/25/20, 11:48 AM

• Like 2

What rookie WR would you rather have out of last years class before Diontae Johnson?

Nobody for me but I'm sure some would prefer DK Metcalf but who else.......?

Just now, Milkman said:

What rookie WR would you rather have out of last years class before Diontae Johnson?

In Dynasty, I would rather have Metcalf and McLaurin (Ben will be retired in a year or two and Haskins will be cut in a year or two).

3 minutes ago, Milkman said:

1 minute ago, creepythinman said:

In Dynasty, I would rather have Metcalf and McLaurin (Ben will be retired in a year or two and Haskins will be cut in a year or two).

Metcalf, AJ Brown and then he's tied with McLaurin for me because of this (QB)

That said Steelers are a competent franchise I am sure they'll find someone

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KChusker said:

Metcalf, AJ Brown and then he's tied with McLaurin for me because of this (QB)

That said Steelers are a competent franchise I am sure they'll find someone

Sam Darnold?

Metcalf and AJ are still a tier ahead, but I have McLaurin and Johnson essentially equals.

It's unfortunate we lost Paris, because he was about to step into the tier with Terry and Diontae.

Interesting....

I'm choosing between Diontae and Terry this week and all rankings have Terry, but I am leaning Diontae based on matchup, and what we've been hearing about chemistry between him and Ben moving forward.....love Terry as well, but I could see browns D stuffing wash offense.

AJ Brown still overrated I see. 

Still I like how the consensus is coming around. Statement game incoming soon. 

Edited by Milkman

42 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Sam Darnold?

Sam Darnold certainly wishes

20 minutes ago, Milkman said:

How is he overrated?

1000 yards on 84 targets as a rookie with Mariota for almost half the season--not to mention a physical freak

I have both too so it's not ownership bias

Just now, KChusker said:

Sam Darnold certainly wishes

How is he overrated?

1000 yards on 84 targets as a rookie with Mariota for almost half the season--not to mention a physical freak

I have both too so it's not ownership bias

Just a lot of long break away TDs he won't get most years. I'm not saying he's bad he's just not as good as his rookie stats would imply. Diontae on the other hand is special in several ways. Just my opinion and we'll have to see how this year plays out. Typically injuries have a huge impact on things.

3 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Just a lot of long break away TDs he won't get most years. I'm not saying he's bad he's just not as good as his rookie stats would imply. Diontae on the other hand is special in several ways. Just my opinion and we'll have to see how this year plays out. Typically injuries have a huge impact on things.

That's fair

In redraft I liked Diontae a lot more at his 7th-8th round price than Brown at his 3rd-4th but long term I don't think it's clear

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 10:37 AM, Milkman said:

Funny, I have both on my roster in Dynasty League.  In rookie draft last year, I had a shot to take AJ Brown at 1.06 but I decided to trade down to accumulate more picks (resulting Deebo Samuel and Diontae Johnson).  I love Brown's talents but I dont love his team's offensive scheme (it's run-heavy and little bit dose of play action). 

• Like 1

Traded away JuJu this week to make room in my starting line-up for Diontae.

Upgraded my RB situation (Fournette to Drake) in the process, and added the circus act of Will Fuller to my bench.

In my 16 team PPR league I started Juju and Dionte in the first 2 weeks and will start them this week as well.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

In my 16 team PPR league I started Juju and Dionte in the first 2 weeks and will start them this week as well.

Don’t see why ya wouldn’t. Some weeks it’ll be JuJu, Some it’ll be Dionte, some it might even be both if the cards fall right. 

Neither has a bad floor - JJSS had 7 catches last weekend, so while he didn’t get into the end zone he was still a PPR stud. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Don’t see why ya wouldn’t. Some weeks it’ll be JuJu, Some it’ll be Dionte, some it might even be both if the cards fall right. 

Neither has a bad floor - JJSS had 7 catches last weekend, so while he didn’t get into the end zone he was still a PPR stud. 

Agreed. The defense is pretty good too. Might hold Diontae back from going nuclear this year. Probably just WR 5-6 lolol

• Like 2

On 9/25/2020 at 12:52 PM, tangfoot said:

Metcalf and AJ are still a tier ahead, but I have McLaurin and Johnson essentially equals.

It's unfortunate we lost Paris, because he was about to step into the tier with Terry and Diontae.

It's hard to argue against what could have been, but I sure didn't see Paris being quite at this level. 

On 9/25/2020 at 1:05 PM, Milkman said:

:lol:

I'll put the 3 in the same tier, McClaurin below.  We'll see what happens when AJ gets healthy. But these 3 are pretty close. I'll probably take Brown, just as a titans fan, but DK is probably the most valuable objectively (partly because he has one of the truly elite QBs throwing the rock)

Assume health and comparable QB play for the next decade (that's a leap, but go with me for a second) who do you take:

Juju and DJ 

or

Godwin and Evans

is there an other?

5 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Assume health and comparable QB play for the next decade (that's a leap, but go with me for a second) who do you take:

Juju and DJ 

or

Godwin and Evans

is there an other?

this is an extremely difficult question.

If we’re truly assuming “competence” of QBs remains constant, I probably take the 1st, because the PIT offense is well tailored to Roethlisburger & I’m not yet sure of what the TB offense’s identity is. 

I know PIT is gonna run the ball and sling the rock. And as of this moment, Big Ben & the Steelers are clicking a little better than TB & his Bucs air game. 

It’s a big assumption though considering age of QB & current backups. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

It's hard to argue against what could have been, but I sure didn't see Paris being quite at this level. 

:lol:

I'll put the 3 in the same tier, McClaurin below.  We'll see what happens when AJ gets healthy. But these 3 are pretty close. I'll probably take Brown, just as a titans fan, but DK is probably the most valuable objectively (partly because he has one of the truly elite QBs throwing the rock)

Agreed Wilson adds to DK's value for sure. 

2 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Juju and DJ 

or

Godwin and Evans

is there an other?

Julio and Ridley

• Like 1

11 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Juju and DJ 

or

Godwin and Evans

is there an other?

9 hours ago, brewer said:

Julio and Ridley

You'll take a 31yo Julio for the next decade? He's great but that seems a bit of a stretch. 

I do agree these two are among the elite groups right now.  

1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

You'll take a 31yo Julio for the next decade? He's great but that seems a bit of a stretch. 

I do agree these two are among the elite groups right now.  

I think projecting anyone for a decade is tough.  I think Julio is elite for the next 5 at least so worth considering.  I love Dionte, but if I had to pick right now(even for 10 years) it would be the Falcons pair followed by the Bucs pair followed by the Steelers pair.

• Like 1

Second-year breakout watch: 5 players who look set for a breakout year, 5 players who have taken a step back

Excerpt:

WR Diontae Johnson, Pittsburgh Steelers

Johnson ending up on the list of players showing signs of a breakout isn't much of a surprise. We got a glimpse of it down the stretch in 2019, and he's carried that into 2020.

In his last six games, Johnson has produced an 81.9 receiving grade and broken 14 tackles on 37 catches, four more broken tackles than any wide receiver. A defender does not want to find themselves in a one-on-one situation with Johnson coming at them with the ball in their hands:

(click on the article to view the video clip)

Johnson has earned a 75.2 receiving grade in just his two games this year, 15th among 56 qualifying wide receivers. He's been targeted on 28.8% of his routes run, which is also the eighth-highest rate in the NFL and over 10 percentage points higher than any other Pittsburgh wide receiver. Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers believe in Johnson, and we do too.

Possible concussion. Sorry guys I own him everywhere that's why he's hurt. Lol

10 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Possible concussion. Sorry guys I own him everywhere that's why he's hurt. Lol

Glad it's you, and not because I traded JuJu this week to get him in to my starting line-up.

Steelers WR Diontae Johnson (concussion) is questionable to return for Week 3 against the Texans.

Johnson was taken back to the locker room for further evaluation mid-second quarter after being shaken up on an end-around handoff. He was replaced by James Washington.

Sep 27, 2020, 2:07 PM ET