Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Diontae Johnson, Steelers

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Yes sir. 

They doubt the Steelers ability to scout WRs for their system. 🙈

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

They doubt the Steelers ability to scout WRs for their system. 🙈

He's Antonio Brown but not crazy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

who has a better year - DJ or Washington?

If its ppr, would be hard to not pick DJ today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ketamine Dreams said:

Over McLaurin? Samuel? Metcalf?

I wouldn't trade him in dynasty for those guys.

I think AJ Brown is more talented, but DJ isn't far behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Washington's aDOT is 23. He, like Will Fuller of the same aDOT, are, to the untrained eye, sacrificing targets and personal touches so that a 1A gets the love. Fuller with Nuk and JuJu in this case.

At least I surmise, because those kind of patterns seem like they come with a very low catch rate %. So you're definitely giving something to get something in that case. They're being asked to catch JUGS punts with guys covering them, except that's no machine, that's a human delivery.

Tough gig, and often thankless. For PPR purposes, take the underneath over Fuller any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ketamine Dreams said:

Over McLaurin? Samuel? Metcalf?

It's best to just take his hyperbole with a grain of salt.  He still thinks Goedert is the best TE in the league.

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I wouldn't trade him in dynasty for those guys.

I think AJ Brown is more talented, but DJ isn't far behind.

Really?! That seems bold. Care to sell me a little more (sorry if I missed that post)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

It's best to just take his hyperbole with a grain of salt.  He still thinks Goedert is the best TE in the league.

Lol sour grapes. I nailed this a week ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

Really?! That seems bold. Care to sell me a little more (sorry if I missed that post)?

Which part?

My season has gone to hell already, just let me have this one for now.

On 5/5/2019 at 4:14 PM, -OZ- said:

All in

Got him in every dynasty except one where I didn't have an early pick. (my son took him in that league). 

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Which part?

My season has gone to hell already, just let me have this one for now.

 

Me too. Got him in both dynasties. Sometimes it's simple: Pitt drafts a WR, you draft that WR. 

Props to @Milkman for delivering an icy cold quart of prognostication to the doorstep of the Shark Pool. Pity the lactose intolerant refused to benefit. 

  • Like 4
  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tombonneau said:

Me too. Got him in both dynasties. Sometimes it's simple: Pitt drafts a WR, you draft that WR. 

Props to @Milkman for delivering an icy cold quart of prognostication to the doorstep of the Shark Pool. Pity the lactose intolerant refused to benefit. 

Omg that's the funniest thing I've read in a week. Bravo!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Milkman said:

https://twitter.com/SteeIerNation/status/1175100155718262790?s=20

 

 

This isn't just the starter in 3 wr sets either. This is Diontae Johnson (not Washington) starting in 2 WR sets opposite JuJu. 

 

 

Correct, it was ALWAYS Diontae behind Moncrief at that position in the teams practices and camps.

Most people just chose to ignore that or were flatly unaware. DJ was also behind Switzer as the slot guy in the 3-wide looks also.  Not sure how that is slotted with his promotion now.

Edited by BigSteelThrill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Ben being out does make this more cloudy though.......not the slam dunk it could have been. 

Edited by Milkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Big Ben being out does make this more cloudy though.......not the slam dunk it could have been. 

Short term, sure. I won't be starting him anywhere (he's firmly in the taxi squad) but the future is bright. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Short term, sure. I won't be starting him anywhere (he's firmly in the taxi squad) but the future is bright. 

Absolutely. It could still be hot early too but I'd be more confident in that if Big Ben was starting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tangfoot said:

It's best to just take his hyperbole with a grain of salt.  He still thinks Goedert is the best TE in the league.

I've got Dionte, Unicorn, Kyler and Jaylen Samuels on my roster. Just need to trade for Goedert and I'll have the all Milkman team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FreshiZ said:

I've got Dionte, Unicorn, Kyler and Jaylen Samuels on my roster. Just need to trade for Goedert and I'll have the all Milkman team.

Need Preston too

Err yes he is the unicorn. 

Maybe tyreek then :)

 

Edited by kittenmittens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am flirting with the idea of starting him at my last flex in a PPR league over Miles Sanders, Lindsay, and Crowder. Am I nuts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

damn this guy is small

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Milkman seems to be really all over him. Would like to hear his predictions for Johnson's line on Sunday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, joffer said:

damn this guy is small

That's what she said to you? dang :lmao:

Edited by ffmail4me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

That's what she said to you? dang :lmao:

good one

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KingPrawn said:

Milkman seems to be really all over him. Would like to hear his predictions for Johnson's line on Sunday

I'd be blindly swinging at a pinata. The Big Ben injury made this situation impossible to predict. I feel he's the most talented WR on the team. I think he'll show that at some point this year. Washington has a great relationship with Mason Rudolph though......so he might get the biggest immediate bump. 

 

Diontae put a show on last week though......he just wasn't targeted. Pittsburgh saw it. That's why he's the starter now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joffer said:

damn this guy is small

He's the same exact size as AB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Milkman said:

I'd be blindly swinging at a pinata. The Big Ben injury made this situation impossible to predict. I feel he's the most talented WR on the team. I think he'll show that at some point this year. Washington has a great relationship with Mason Rudolph though......so he might get the biggest immediate bump. 

 

Diontae put a show on last week though......he just wasn't targeted. Pittsburgh saw it. That's why he's the starter now. 

If he truly is the most talented WR on this team(better than Juju) and he's getting the opportunity to start then there's no reason why he shouldn't shine early. QB's tend to throw the ball to the guy who gets open, and if they don't, the coaches will be there waiting for him on the sidelines ready to chew out the QB with their iPads in hand to show them the open guy they repeatedly missed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nucker101 said:

If he truly is the most talented WR on this team(better than Juju) and he's getting the opportunity to start then there's no reason why he shouldn't shine early. QB's tend to throw the ball to the guy who gets open, and if they don't, the coaches will be there waiting for him on the sidelines ready to chew out the QB with their iPads in hand to show them the open guy they repeatedly missed. 

Yeah and if you watch last weeks game I think that's what happened. Pretty sure the Steelers showed Mason Rudolph those routes and how open Diontae was over and over. So I can see that happening. I can also see Mason Rudolph going to Washington because he's got a good connection with him. Time will tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Milkman said:

He's the same exact size as AB. 

hey I’m in. just thought he was bigger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Milkman said:

He's the same exact size as AB. 

He's listed as the same size on paper. But in real life, he looks a lot closer to Tavon Austin than AB. I mean he looks small, like a pomeranian in a purse small. Guy looks super talented too but so do all the smurf WR's until they get lit up by a safety on a crossing route.

I'm rooting for him but I think Washington is the guy to play here given the history with the QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drafted him with my 9th pick. Hoping he does good.

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Milkman said:

Diontae put a show on last week though

1 catch for 17 yards is a show? That was off of four targets, too. 

I don't know much about this guy, other than he has speed and had good ST ability out of college, and open to any talent, regardless of size, being an effective weapon in the NFL.

In this case, I'll believe it when I see it. Really hasn't shown enough to make me think he's going to be a fantasy factor, and a few highly polished/better WRs ahead of him right now in the depth chart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Milkman said:

He's the same exact size as AB. 

Even their combine numbers are nearly identical! It’s insane how closely identical they are.

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

1 catch for 17 yards is a show? That was off of four targets, too. 

I don't know much about this guy, other than he has speed and had good ST ability out of college, and open to any talent, regardless of size, being an effective weapon in the NFL.

In this case, I'll believe it when I see it. Really hasn't shown enough to make me think he's going to be a fantasy factor, and a few highly polished/better WRs ahead of him right now in the depth chart.

I believe he’s referring to Johnson being open a few times after running good routes, including once in the red zone, and not even getting a target. 

 

Also, he’s #2 on the depth chart right now, only Juju is ahead of him

Edited by PigSkinMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PigSkinMan said:

I believe he’s referring to Johnson being open a few times after running good routes, including once in the red zone, and not even getting a target. 

 

Also, he’s #2 on the depth chart right now, only Juju is ahead of him

No, I get that -- totally open to a guy passing eye tests and looking like the real deal, but looking open on a few looks also isn't the whole story. Stats and targets are meaningful adn he just doesn't have either to make me excited yet.

Looks like the guy is taking over Moncrief's position, so he'll have that opportunity.

But JuJu and James Washington have more proven ability, so while there is reason to be more excited about this guy, I just want to see what he does with it before getting all goosepimply over a rookie starting for the first time with a backup QB throwing to him.

Can he be amazing? Why the hell not. Let's just see it first with some production. Will be watching, totally open to seeing a young guy start generating excitement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

No, I get that -- totally open to a guy passing eye tests and looking like the real deal, but looking open on a few looks also isn't the whole story. Stats and targets are meaningful adn he just doesn't have either to make me excited yet.

Looks like the guy is taking over Moncrief's position, so he'll have that opportunity.

But JuJu and James Washington have more proven ability, so while there is reason to be more excited about this guy, I just want to see what he does with it before getting all goosepimply over a rookie starting for the first time with a backup QB throwing to him.

Can he be amazing? Why the hell not. Let's just see it first with some production. Will be watching, totally open to seeing a young guy start generating excitement.

What has Washington proven?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cobbler1 said:

What has Washington proven?

Hes has shown to be very adept at deep balls. Particularly so on the contested throws and sideline patterns. A distinct set of traits that all work to that ability.

Edited by BigSteelThrill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Hes has shown to be very adept at deep balls. Particularly so on the contested throws and sideline patterns. A distinct set of traits that all work to that ability.

Maybe in the preseason. He had one of the worst graded seasons of any wr last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cobbler1 said:

Maybe in the preseason. He had one of the worst graded seasons of any wr last year. 

Correct, him and Ben were on totally opposite pages last year. He needed that year. His skills and what he has shown still remain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

* Johnson 5-10 1/2, 183, 30 1/4 arms, 9-inch hands, 4.53 40, 15 reps, 33.5 vertical, 7.09 3-cone.
* Brown 5-10 1/8, 186, 31-inch arms, 9-inch hands, 4.56 40, 13 reps, 33.5 vertical, 6.98 3-cone.

As you can see on the table above, Johnson is almost a carbon copy of Brown in every physical category listed when he entered the league in 2010. As for comparing Brown/Johnson in terms of production coming out of school, Brown dusts Johnson’s career numbers. With both players playing three seasons in college, Brown had 305 career receptions for 3,199 yards at Central Michigan compared to Johnson’s 135 receptions for 2, 235 yards at Toledo. While Brown remains on an entirely different world of efficiency, Johnson actually has one more receiving touchdown (23) than Brown did (22) with a larger yards per reception (16.6) than Brown (10.5).

Per Pro Football Focus, Johnson was one of the best all-around route runners going into his senior season, as he earned a 140.1 passer rating when targeted. Johnson was ranked as the 11th best receiver heading into the 2019 NFL Draft by PFF.

***I’m NOT saying he’ll be Antonio Brown***

I’m just saying they have nearly identical metrics, measurements, and stats.

Tex

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Correct, him and Ben were on totally opposite pages last year. He needed that year. His skills and what he has shown still remain.

I’m confused. You agree he was bad last year yet you say what he has shown still remains. What he showed wasn’t good. Am I reading your reply wrong and you’re agreeing with me that he hasn’t actually proven anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cobbler1 said:

I’m confused. You agree he was bad last year yet you say what he has shown still remains. What he showed wasn’t good. Am I reading your reply wrong and you’re agreeing with me that he hasn’t actually proven anything?

His skill is with the hardest to complete passes in the game. So when he and the QB are "off" its going to look bad.  But we can see what he did in this preseason and last preseason and what he did college.

  • 2018 preseason -- 7 - 158 - 22.6
  • 2019 preseason -- 10 - 208 - 20.8
  • 2019  season -- 4 -74 -18.5
  • In 3 years of college he was... 20.9, 19.4, 20.5 on 198 catches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2019 at 6:29 PM, Milkman said:

https://twitter.com/SteeIerNation/status/1175100155718262790?s=20

 

 

This isn't just the starter in 3 wr sets either. This is Diontae Johnson (not Washington) starting in 2 WR sets opposite JuJu. 

 

 

Huh.

Well according to this the Steelers have run 2 WR sets on 16 of 113 total plays or 14% of their snaps.

The Steelers have had 3 WR or more on the field 86% of their plays.

Maybe Johnson is playing in the 2 WR sets over Washington when they do only have 2 WR? I suppose that could be, however it is a very small part of their offense.

As far as snap counts Washington had more than Johnson in the most recent game but only by 7 snaps. Both played a lot more with the benching of Moncrief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Huh.

Well according to this the Steelers have run 2 WR sets on 16 of 113 total plays or 14% of their snaps.

The Steelers have had 3 WR or more on the field 86% of their plays.

Maybe Johnson is playing in the 2 WR sets over Washington when they do only have 2 WR? I suppose that could be, however it is a very small part of their offense.

As far as snap counts Washington had more than Johnson in the most recent game but only by 7 snaps. Both played a lot more with the benching of Moncrief.

Yeah so on those 14% of plays Diontae will be on the field and Washington will be on the sideline. It's not insignificant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.