What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We remember - May 4 (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
A Dutch friend wrote this and shared it with me today. Thought some here might appreciate hearing it.

There's something I have to say on this day each year.

Roughly eighty years ago, our immediate neighbor fell under the sway of an authoritarian madman who promptly declared war on most of the world, committing atrocities so horrifying that both his own name and that of the party he led have become synonymous with 'evil'.

We tried to resist the invasion, of course, but our country is the size of a postage stamp, and at the time Germany had more people under arms than we had citizens in total, and our defensive doctrine heavily relied upon both our traditional neutrality and certain assumptions about the effectiveness of rivers as natural barriers that turned out to be outdated and unable to cope with Blitzkrieg or air bombing of civilian targets, and we were overrun within a week.

It took five years of occupation before forces of the free world managed to combine their strength and retake Europe, liberating its countries one by one. On May 5th 1945 the occupying force surrendered, and my country was once again free.

As is traditional, we celebrate this liberation tomorrow -- and equally traditional, we spend the evening before it with a few minutes' silent reflection and remembrance for all those who didn't live to see it.

Those who fought and died fighting the invaders. Those who fought and died resisting the occupation. Those who were carted off to concentration camps for the crime of being the wrong faith, the wrong color or the wrong sexual orientation and never came back. Those who died from starvation or hypothermia in the final winter when the occupation forces tried to drain us dry in the hopes of stemming the tide. And those who died liberating us.

We remember.

No wonder they dont celebrate 5-5-1945 like Mexico does 5-5-1862. It's called "Vijfde Mei" and who wants to get Heinie-soaked to that consonant fest?!

We have learned nothing - as many Hitlers as ever and closer to tracking on a large scale and drowning the best of the world in its wake as any time in my life. On the present track, with the oligarchs clowning militias onto their side, don't see how the next depression doesnt create a new Fuehrer just as ruinous. So a solemn observance indeed

Users who are viewing this thread