What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Depression sucks (1 Viewer)

Depression doesn't have to suck. Sometimes, it blows.

What's the difference between internal weather and gas? We take internal weather personally.

Been there.  The law of undulation applies to all and you just have to fight through the valleys.  I've been through a multi-year battle with the darkness.

All I can say is stay the course and keep finding reasons to push on.  Treatment of any kind is better than nothing.

Hang in there and push on. The peaks are great and the valleys are bad places to be. Find something to give you enjoyment. Exercise and diet help. If need be, reach out to a friend.  This is coming from someone who has battled those demons  since I can remember.  Some days are better than others. I know that the dark days can be really dark. Just don't give up until you find a way including getting help.  HTH and GL!

Eating the right food will help you manage your depression, and indulging in the wrong food have the opposite effect.
Although it's ancillary this is important. Also, it's crazy how good of an effect drinking lots of water has on you. We hear that all the time but I was well into middle age before I started practicing it, wish I had started the habit sooner.

But of primary importance is getting treatment.

What are the right foods to eat?  I'm assuming just means eating healthy, fruits..vegetables..lots of water, but if different I'll take a link!

Just when you think you are in the clear

it sneaks up on you without any warning.
Not sure what you have tried so far, but if you haven't already, maybe think about trying CBT?

I was enrolled in insight therapy for many years; learned a lot about root issues, but wasn't getting better.

(my deal was anger mgt/rage - behavioral issues - but it was all wrapped up in layers having to do with self-image)

Anyway, don't regret the years in other types of therapy, but with CBT I started seeing objective progress.

It basically teaches you how to be your own therapist. You do a lot of homework that breaks down distortive thinking that causes faulty conclusions.

Depression is a different kind of challenge, but I have heard CBT is a very effective treatment for that as well.

Here's a good breakdown of CBT & depression.

It's also an alternative to prescription solutions. I sought it out because I need to function at high levels for long periods and didn't want to be impeded by side effects.

For anyone else interested, here is a general overview of Cognitive Behavior Therapy

Last edited by a moderator:
Although it's ancillary this is important. Also, it's crazy how good of an effect drinking lots of water has on you. We hear that all the time but I was well into middle age before I started practicing it, wish I had started the habit sooner.

But of primary importance is getting treatment.
My diet sucks

I know i don't drink much water but never considered the effects. 

My diet sucks

I know i don't drink much water but never considered the effects. 
Exactly me not too many years ago. I was amazed how much it impacted me.

Water helps in a number of ways to optimize body functions. Think about it - our bodies are 60% water and blood is 90% water. When we get more oxygen into our bodies at a cellular level, you'll feel way more energetic.

Drinking enough water helps to regulate body temperature and provides essential lubrication for every joint. It enables the body to get rid of waste products and toxins.

There's like a dozen different things that just work better when you drink a lot of water. Here in the states we often hear 8 ounce glasses 8 times a day (1 gallon per day), but opinions vary.

But def try drinking more than you are used to, and make a conscientious effort to keep the new habit up for 3-4 weeks. You'll be hooked for life.

Exactly me not too many years ago. I was amazed how much it impacted me.

Water helps in a number of ways to optimize body functions. Think about it - our bodies are 60% water and blood is 90% water. When we get more oxygen into our bodies at a cellular level, you'll feel way more energetic.

Drinking enough water helps to regulate body temperature and provides essential lubrication for every joint. It enables the body to get rid of waste products and toxins.

There's like a dozen different things that just work better when you drink a lot of water. Here in the states we often hear 8 ounce glasses 8 times a day (1 gallon per day), but opinions vary.

But def try drinking more than you are used to, and make a conscientious effort to keep the new habit up for 3-4 weeks. You'll be hooked for life.
That's a half gallon.

I've read to drink from a half ounce to an ounce per pound that you weigh. I try to drink at least 100 ounces but 200 is crazy. Unless you are really focused on doing it. I just haven't been able to get into the routine to drink that much. Even though the water is good here in NY, I bought that Zero Water and love it. I can't say it's had a noticeable impact on me but just knowing the health benefits is enough for me.

But why?   This is something I don't understand much--and please know thats not a dig at all.  I get it but I don't get it.  My wife goes through this sometimes and I try to tell her to not be depressed, like that does any good at all. 

Is it your work? Home?   Something else?  What do you think causes it?  How do you make it stop?   

One reason is hormone imbalance.

Best way I can explain it is when a 'normal' person is sad or happy, the feelings you get are caused by regulation of serotonin.  Your brain makes it and distributes it throughout your body.  Your brain keeps the levels in balance and you get an extra boost when happy or lower levels when stressed or upset. 

However, something can 'misfire' like an engine and suddenly you are out of balance for no reason whatsoever. Your body and mind feel like your dog died even though you already know from the outside that 'you have nothing to feel sad about'.  "I don't know why I'm crying." is frustrating for both individuals!

Certain anti-depressents are meant to boost and regulate seratonin levels. 

Most important to understand, and is hard to comprehend, is that you can suffer it even though you have nothing to be sad about. 

Add to that when you have someone whose brain is often out of balance AND they experience a 'sad event', they can really go super out of whack. It can be something as minor as just stubbing your toe or an actual serious event.

People don't feel ashamed if their thyroid is out of whack and they take daily meds but there's obv a stigma to taking anti-depressents to keep their brain hormones in balance. "Just deal with it!"

Buck Bradcanon said:
What are the right foods to eat?  I'm assuming just means eating healthy, fruits..vegetables..lots of water, but if different I'll take a link!
I've been reading a lot about gut bacteria and it's relation to depression.  I'm convinced sugar is the devil and responsible for a lot of mood swings.  I find I feel better when I'm eating clean.  Stay away from bread, sweets and fried foods if you can.   

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/02/evidence-mounts-gut-bacteria-can-influence-mood-prevent-depression

You can find lots of ideas for foods and diets that will help your gut online.  I did a gut cleanse and definitely felt better. 

https://foodrevolution.org/blog/best-foods-for-gut-health/

supermike80 said:
But why?   This is something I don't understand much--and please know thats not a dig at all.  I get it but I don't get it.  My wife goes through this sometimes and I try to tell her to not be depressed, like that does any good at all. 

Is it your work? Home?   Something else?  What do you think causes it?  How do you make it stop?   
It isn’t necessarily due to a trigger - when it is, it’s called reactive depression or an adjustment disorder. But that’s not how most depression works.

One of my ex-GF described it as a cloud which hung over her. She couldn’t explain why it was there or how long it would remain, but it just added darkness to her day. She couldn’t even think of things in a positive manner, as her neurotransmitters were derailing any good thoughts. It didn’t matter that superficially everything seemed to be going well.

Telling someone not to depressed is not likely to help. Emotions are not rational or easily controlled. Agree with others that taking care of oneself by eating well and exercising are important, as is keeping socially engaged, avoiding substance/alcohol use and seeking a therapist before things get too bad.

I've been reading a lot about gut bacteria and it's relation to depression.  I'm convinced sugar is the devil and responsible for a lot of mood swings.  I find I feel better when I'm eating clean.  Stay away from bread, sweets and fried foods if you can.   

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/02/evidence-mounts-gut-bacteria-can-influence-mood-prevent-depression

You can find lots of ideas for foods and diets that will help your gut online.  I did a gut cleanse and definitely felt better. 

https://foodrevolution.org/blog/best-foods-for-gut-health/
Perfect.  Many thanks GB.

I've battled depression my entire life.  It never goes away completely.  It just hides enough to let you seem normal for long periods of time.  About 3 months ago it hit me hard.  Like, really hard.  I went and talked with a therapist.  That helps me.  It's almost like just saying the words out loud get the bad out.  After 3 weeks, I was back to as normal as I usually am.  

No one understands depression like someone who suffers from it.  And that's not a slight against those trying to help you.  It's just a pain you can't describe.  If you ever need to vent, GB, shoot me a PM.  Hopefully you get through this rough patch quickly.  

It isn’t necessarily due to a trigger - when it is, it’s called reactive depression or an adjustment disorder. But that’s not how most depression works.

One of my ex-GF described it as a cloud which hung over her. She couldn’t explain why it was there or how long it would remain, but it just added darkness to her day. She couldn’t even think of things in a positive manner, as her neurotransmitters were derailing any good thoughts. It didn’t matter that superficially everything seemed to be going well.

Telling someone not to depressed is not likely to help. Emotions are not rational or easily controlled. Agree with others that taking care of oneself by eating well and exercising are important, as is keeping socially engaged, avoiding substance/alcohol use and seeking a therapist before things get too bad.
Right.  All that makes sense, even if I don't get it.   I wouldn;t think telling my wife to just get over it would work.....

I think there is a lot to drinking a lot of water, getting good gut bacteria, eating clean etc. I have started to drink kombucha tea and am having fun brewing my own. We will see how the 1st batch turns out.. if it is terrible I will get a kit from amazon but I wanted to try it from literally nothing. 

Anyway, like other have posted, you can't just "deal with it" - "I have been battling depression for most of my adult life although I never thought of it like that until about a year ago. In  reflecting more, the best times are when I  am working out regularly, and eating clean - relatively anyway. Thanks to all who have posted. I have run the last two days and somehow will figure out how to get a couple runs in while on a business trip the rest of the week. 

I've battled depression my entire life.  It never goes away completely.  It just hides enough to let you seem normal for long periods of time.  About 3 months ago it hit me hard.  Like, really hard.  I went and talked with a therapist.  That helps me.  It's almost like just saying the words out loud get the bad out.  After 3 weeks, I was back to as normal as I usually am.  

No one understands depression like someone who suffers from it.  And that's not a slight against those trying to help you.  It's just a pain you can't describe.  If you ever need to vent, GB, shoot me a PM.  Hopefully you get through this rough patch quickly.  
Thanks mate. I was put on a new ADD meds and the side effects make me throw up. I can hardly function without them though.

For me, there is usually a stressor that triggers it, but the only way to make it stop is some kind of break in the cycle.

Since stress seems to be omnipresent, it is hard to determine the exact starting point, but it can start to have a snowball effect:  initial depression leads to poor activity levels which lead to poor habits which lead to low achievement which leads to more stress which leads to more depression.  If something doesn't break that cycle, it can spiral really quick.

I usually need to have like a half day where I sleep more and workout or just a full day off (usually like a Saturday or Sunday).  Sometimes just a good evening of relaxation with some exercise and something fun and then a good nights sleep can pull me out.

The problem is, those neuropathways are so entrenched that it doesn't take much to fall back into the ruts.

For me, there is usually a stressor that triggers it, but the only way to make it stop is some kind of break in the cycle.

Since stress seems to be omnipresent, it is hard to determine the exact starting point, but it can start to have a snowball effect:  initial depression leads to poor activity levels which lead to poor habits which lead to low achievement which leads to more stress which leads to more depression.  If something doesn't break that cycle, it can spiral really quick.

I usually need to have like a half day where I sleep more and workout or just a full day off (usually like a Saturday or Sunday).  Sometimes just a good evening of relaxation with some exercise and something fun and then a good nights sleep can pull me out.

The problem is, those neuropathways are so entrenched that it doesn't take much to fall back into the ruts.
I've found that people who don't suffer from depression don't and can't fully understand the physical manifestations of depression.  Specifically, how much it saps your energy and that there are full days where it feels like an almost insurmountable burden to get physically going.

And then that lethargy often compounds the depression because you feel like you're not getting necessary stuff accomplished, you're a loser as result, and you become even  more depressed.  Can be such a devastating cycle.

Gary Coal Man said:
I've found that people who don't suffer from depression don't and can't fully understand the physical manifestations of depression.  Specifically, how much it saps your energy and that there are full days where it feels like an almost insurmountable burden to get physically going.

And then that lethargy often compounds the depression because you feel like you're not getting necessary stuff accomplished, you're a loser as result, and you become even  more depressed.  Can be such a devastating cycle.
Good point, the physical part is just strange. I have like zero energy and all I want to do is sleep or watch TV.

Gary Coal Man said:

I always hate when people say "Why don't you get up and do something?   That might help your depression."  But like you said, that depression is exhausting.  

Honestly many factors.  I actually almost started this thread multiple times as people in my family and some friends have dealt with this.  As have I to varying degrees.

Why?  Thats a great question.  Its not always simple though.  I can speak for myself...some of it comes from losing both parents in the past 4 years.  The family health genes being what they are, Im looking at possible illnesses like that in my future...and then I wonder about my kids and hoping my wife's genes help mitigate that.  Weight fluctuations and injuries that have kept me from running and working out the way I want.  Stress and obligations of some things for work.  College a few years away for my son...so many factors that can play into it. 

Most of the time...Im fine.  Other times...feels like the weight of everything is on me.  Other times...there is no real reason.  Nothing happens to bring it on.  I just feel it, feel like crap, unmotivated to do anything.  As someone else posted, like the cloud has come over me for literally no reason.

And even saying all that...at least for now, Im pretty damn lucky.  It doesn't even hit me all that hard.  I don't go on drinking binges.  Don't get angry and lash out.  Never have felt suicidal or wanting to hurt myself or anyone else.  Just feeling down and sometimes helpless.

I definitely feel for anyone going through that and worse...hoping everyone gets the help they need.

There are a lot of very accurate descriptions of depression here. I have found that not everyone experiences it the same; or for the same reasons.

I once had a psychiatrist that told me something like this:

Sometimes feelings like this are a normal reaction to life. They are not wrong or bad, in and of themselves; so don't stress or feel guilty over having these feelings. Often, they arise because they need to arise. The important part is how one deals with them. Find your own way to deal. Find your own way to understand. Find those who do understand. Find those who have dealt. Let them help you. It is human - it is not always abnormal.

Speaking for myself (bipolar), I experience depression less as a "sadness" and more of a "nothingness".

So, it is not really about being unhappy for me; rather, it begins as a lack of any feeling - just a blank. No motivation; no desire; no hope; no nothing.

If feelings of "sadness" eventually do occur, I don't view them as the depression, but a result of the depression. I have also felt anger and, oddly, even mania during depression (mixed episodes). It is not always a clear picture in regards to the outward manifestations of depression that I have experienced.

I have found my own path to wellness over the past 5 or so years, but it is not one recommended by most docs; and, I am reluctant to recommend it here. However, that is exactly why my good doc told me that I had to find my own way. He, and others, helped greatly though - no denying that - but, I had to do the heavy lifting myself. I think we all do, in the end.

Good luck.

There are a lot of very accurate descriptions of depression here. I have found that not everyone experiences it the same; or for the same reasons.
For me, I experience depression as a lack of joy in anything coupled with a hopelessness that it will ever get better. 

Lack of joy results in zero interest in doing anything ordinarily considered fun...  including no interest in such things as going on vacation. So it makes for a rather dull life with no hope of ever finding anything joyful.  

Let me preface this by saying I don’t have any medical expertise and this is not advice per se but just passing along information.  

I was listening to a fairly old podcast of Joe Rogan’s where he has Chris Kessler on - https://chriskresser.com/

Kessler is a proponent of functional medicine and during the podcast he talked in length about the gut microbiome and its impact on health.  The reason I’m posting this is he mentioned in passing the research being done in this area with respect to depression.  He made sure to caveat that he’s not an expert in this area and that he’s not implying this is some kind of panacea but he said the results some people were having were significant.

I started reading some this evening and found this article -  https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/02/evidence-mounts-gut-bacteria-can-influence-mood-prevent-depression

Thought I would post in case it is helpful to anyone.

My son (just finished freshman year of college) is struggling with this.  I'm mostly lost in what to say or do.  2nd semester grades were horrible (worst grades ever) and he led us to believe everything was fine when we talked to him throughout the semester.  We didn't know the truth until he moved home and we got the grades.  We're scheduling an appointment with a psychiatrist and I hope we can at least learn how to manage it sooner rather than later.  I feel kind of helpless so I can only imagine how bad he is feeling...

My son (just finished freshman year of college) is struggling with this.  I'm mostly lost in what to say or do.  2nd semester grades were horrible (worst grades ever) and he led us to believe everything was fine when we talked to him throughout the semester.  We didn't know the truth until he moved home and we got the grades.  We're scheduling an appointment with a psychiatrist and I hope we can at least learn how to manage it sooner rather than later.  I feel kind of helpless so I can only imagine how bad he is feeling...
You are doing the right thing by taking it seriously.

I had my 1st episode during my freshman year at college - away from home. I managed to do ok the first semester, but the 2nd would have been a fail if not for a doctor's note. Even though I got the note, I was never treated. They attributed it to an acute panic episode - nothing to worry about.

At the time, I had no clue what was going on. I just thought I had partied too much. It was not until years later, that a pattern began to become clear. At that point, I could trace things back to even grade school.

By tackling this head on - right now - you are giving your son and your family an amazing head start. Just be prepared for some denial - from lots of sides. It can take a while to see things clearly after such an episode.

PM me if you want. I don't mind sharing if it could help.

EDIT: By "denial", I don't mean lying. I mean unable to clearly see.

Man of Constant Sorrow said:
You are doing the right thing by taking it seriously.

I had my 1st episode during my freshman year at college - away from home. I managed to do ok the first semester, but the 2nd would have been a fail if not for a doctor's note. Even though I got the note, I was never treated. They attributed it to an acute panic episode - nothing to worry about.

At the time, I had no clue what was going on. I just thought I had partied too much. It was not until years later, that a pattern began to become clear. At that point, I could trace things back to even grade school.

By tackling this head on - right now - you are giving your son and your family an amazing head start. Just be prepared for some denial - from lots of sides. It can take a while to see things clearly after such an episode.

PM me if you want. I don't mind sharing if it could help.

EDIT: By "denial", I don't mean lying. I mean unable to clearly see.
Thanks.  This sounds similar to my son minus the partying.  Apparently he spent a good part of the semester in his room, not going to classes, not talking to anyone.  And his second semester WAS essentially a fail - he'll have retake 3 of 5 classes.  I'm just going to try to emphasize to him that he needs to be completely honest with the psychiatrist as to what he is struggling with so that he can get the right kind of help, whatever it ends up being. 

Nipsey said:
Curious if @PlayaHata's son or @Man of Constant Sorrow went though a big break-up just before they hit that rough patch?
Wow - in regards to me, you hit the note.

My girlfriend and I arranged to go to college together - not at same school - but same town. It really pissed my pop off because I had opportunities that he thought were better. He was right.

It really pissed off my gf's mom because she had gotten pregnant (with my gf) in early college (1968) and had to quit school and get married. Her marriage was really bad. She worried that the same would happen to her daughter.

Well, because of all the pressure from all sides, we actually broke up mid summer before college. But, the night before I left - she came to my party - and - eh - well we slept together. It was really weird - out of the blue. I thought that maybe their was hope here.

So, mid September - I get word that she is pregnant - my child. I flipped. Also, I am adopted - so the whole abortion/adoption issue is a really complicated one for me. I had a lot of sleepless nights...until I went to the doctor's office with her in October. After a little discussion with the doc, I found that it was impossible to be my child - as the timing was at least a month off.

My ex then confessed that she knew it was not mine; but, in a panic - she slept with me - cause she knew I loved her.

GAH!

At that point, I stepped out of any decision making in regards to her child - it was not mine.

The time period following that - late Oct to late April - I went through heaven and hell.

I came home late April - back to my parents house. As mentioned earlier, my episode was written off as acute panic. My ex and I actually tried to make it work - on and off - for the next 2 years. It never worked. She is now happily married with 3 or 4 wonderful kids. We are friends.

How did you guess, Nipsey?

Thanks.  This sounds similar to my son minus the partying.  Apparently he spent a good part of the semester in his room, not going to classes, not talking to anyone.  And his second semester WAS essentially a fail - he'll have retake 3 of 5 classes.  I'm just going to try to emphasize to him that he needs to be completely honest with the psychiatrist as to what he is struggling with so that he can get the right kind of help, whatever it ends up being. 
Since I am bipolar, I fluctuated between extreme isolation and extreme socialization - so - I can only partly understand from personal experience. 

In regards to the part that I bold'ed...I like the way that you phrase that. Too often, I hear people say - explain it clearly - what is wrong with you? - what is wrong with me? why do you feel this way? - etc....

Those are the wrong questions, imo - as - I could never answer them, in the beginning.

The way you phrase it: be completely honest as to what he is struggling with... ----- that, is a good piece of advice. It is a reasonable request - that I believe can be done at the very beginning. But, as I said earlier, he (and everyone he knows) may have difficulty at times, in artfully explaining such things.

I think you have this nailed so far --- keep it up --- and good luck.

I've got a kind of convoluted problem and am hoping I can get an answer either from a health professional on this board -or- at least some opinions from anyone that has experience with the following.

Background:  I suffer from depression -- perhaps it is not as severe as some of the posters or relatives that have previously posted but still significant. I know what the problem is and am getting help for it, typically with a therapist but I will also be seeing a psychiatrist that my therapist is affiliated with in the very near future. My issue is that I feel like I'm stuck in a rut where I'm totally isolated and don't know how to get out of my situation. I've worked for many years in a very specialized field which doesn't give me satisfaction any longer -- I'm too old to change fields and I no longer care about the area that I live in at all (because of many things including significant  loneliness). Add in alcoholism which makes the depression worse. There are 2 options I'm considering but am not sure the best way  to achieve either:  (1) move back to where I grew up where I have family and friends that I care about <-- problem being that there aren't jobs anywhere close which would necessitate my specialization. (2) my company has a division down south where I know the sunshine would do me mental good <-- problem being that I would still feel isolated since I won't know anyone there.

There is a possibility that  I could (1) stay at the same job, move back home, and simply telecommute but this would necessitate an OK from HR which I would doubt would like to set this precedent with an employee, and (2) ask for a transfer down south where I could at least get a new start and sunshine.  Background over.

Questions regarding my upcoming visit with the psychiatrist:

(1) If a psychiatrist were to give a written recommendation that I move (home or south) would this be something that, having shown my company the recommendation, could make it much more likely for a favorable result for either of the above two options?

(2) Would a psychiatrist even consider making that kind of a recommendation?

(3) If both of the above are 'yes', how would I even ask/get the psychiatrist to make that kind of recommendation without the psychiatrist feeling like I'm "using him" and possibly making it less likely for me to get that kind of recommendation? It is true that my brother will be remotely taking part via telecon, and he can state my depression stems from isolation and thinks I need to move but the question remains:     would a psychiatrist even make that kind of recommendation?

Any thoughts? TIA

I've got a kind of convoluted problem and am hoping I can get an answer either from a health professional on this board -or- at least some opinions from anyone that has experience with the following.

Background:  I suffer from depression -- perhaps it is not as severe as some of the posters or relatives that have previously posted but still significant. I know what the problem is and am getting help for it, typically with a therapist but I will also be seeing a psychiatrist that my therapist is affiliated with in the very near future. My issue is that I feel like I'm stuck in a rut where I'm totally isolated and don't know how to get out of my situation. I've worked for many years in a very specialized field which doesn't give me satisfaction any longer -- I'm too old to change fields and I no longer care about the area that I live in at all (because of many things including significant  loneliness). Add in alcoholism which makes the depression worse. There are 2 options I'm considering but am not sure the best way  to achieve either:  (1) move back to where I grew up where I have family and friends that I care about <-- problem being that there aren't jobs anywhere close which would necessitate my specialization. (2) my company has a division down south where I know the sunshine would do me mental good <-- problem being that I would still feel isolated since I won't know anyone there.

There is a possibility that  I could (1) stay at the same job, move back home, and simply telecommute but this would necessitate an OK from HR which I would doubt would like to set this precedent with an employee, and (2) ask for a transfer down south where I could at least get a new start and sunshine.  Background over.

Questions regarding my upcoming visit with the psychiatrist:

(1) If a psychiatrist were to give a written recommendation that I move (home or south) would this be something that, having shown my company the recommendation, could make it much more likely for a favorable result for either of the above two options?

(2) Would a psychiatrist even consider making that kind of a recommendation?

(3) If both of the above are 'yes', how would I even ask/get the psychiatrist to make that kind of recommendation without the psychiatrist feeling like I'm "using him" and possibly making it less likely for me to get that kind of recommendation? It is true that my brother will be remotely taking part via telecon, and he can state my depression stems from isolation and thinks I need to move but the question remains:     would a psychiatrist even make that kind of recommendation?

Any thoughts? TIA
I've been through many therapists and only see a psychiatrist now. How would a move affect your immediate family? How old are you? How much money would you need to make per month to stay put or to move to each location (don't worry about monthly retirement savings in this number)?

I doubt the psychiatrist will make the decision to move for you but I'm not an expert. With depression and alcoholism I'd guess she will focus on those two factors. 

Users who are viewing this thread