What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Genesis thread: Peter and Phil, not Cain and Abel (1 Viewer)

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your #######. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your #######. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
Is this schtick?

There is plenty to like from almost all eras of Genesis (except maybe the last album with Ray Wilson).  The hardcore prog rock stuff of the early years was stellar, the more art rock stuff of the later 70's and early 80's was mostly really good, and the pop rock era gave us really good stuff at times (as well as some dreck). 

Top 5 Genesis albums:

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Selling England by the Pound
A Trick of the Tail
Duke
Foxtrot

Top 10 Genesis songs:

The Cinema Show
Firth of Fifth
In the Cage
Supper's Ready
Fading Lights
Duke's Travel
Ripples
Entangled
The Lamia
One for the Vine

Worst Genesis song ever:

I Can't Dance

I've told this before but we've never had a Genesis thread, so i'll repeat. One of the best things about living in Boston was that Genesis began their every American tour there. I saw their first USA gig at Brandeis University, winter of '72-3 i think. Virtually no clue who they were, i was mesmerized by the guy with the reverse mohawk who put on robes & masks & daisy heads and pushed around imaginary lawnmovers and the limits of what a rockshow was, all to this complex, humorous, buildybuildybuildy music. Top 5 alltime concert experience.

I also had the misfortune to see the international premier of Lamb Lies Down at the Music Hall. This production had levels and chutes and ladders and effects up the wazoo. Nothing worked. My 5th row center got me close enough to hear Peter Gabriel yelling at crew after being stuck in a half dozen Spinal Tap moments. I still can't warm up to that record.

But that's the only one. If you told me i could listen to but one musical artist for the rest of my life, it would be JSBach or the angel Gabriel, depending on my mood.

Love Genesis!

Top 5 albums for me:

Trick of the Tail

Seconds Out

Duke

And then there were Three

Wind and Wuthering

Worst song?   Paperlate

Best song(s)? - Suppers Ready;  Behind the Lines;  Entangled;  Blood on the Rooftops;  Cul-De-Sac;  Cinema Show; Fading Lights

Most underrated song?    Evidence of Autumn

Most overrated song?  Invisible Touch

Abacab, Genesis, and Invisible Touch are the albums in my wheel house as they coincide with my teen years when I really started to pay more attention to music.  So many good songs and good memories on those albums.  For whatever reason, Dodo/Lurker was one of our regular go to songs when when we were high.  Every time I hear it, i wish I could relive a few of those moments.

I don't know why, but I've found myself listening to a whole bunch of prog during quarantine, including much early- and mid-period Genesis. 

Some favorites that don't get talked about too much:

Stagnation
Fountain of Salmacis
Can-Utility and the Coastliners
Twilight Alehouse (B-side of I Know What I Like)
Going out to Get You (staple of early '70s live sets, never made it onto an album)
Lilywhite Lilith
The Waiting Room
Eleventh Earl of Mar 
Inside and Out (Spot the Pigeon EP)
Down and Out
Ballad of Big

Users who are viewing this thread