What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Got a new puppy Friday night (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
He's so awesome.  We spent all weekend with him.  We have another pup that's 2 years old.  We had planned to get a puppy when she turned two so she could show him the ropes.  It's amazing how much they are like humans.  She is so jealous of him and does not like sharing any of her toys.

And if she has 1 of the 50 toys out of her playpen, of course that's the one he wants. And he's willing to fight her for it.  They crack me up.

But today, we had to leave him alone in his crate for the first time.  And he is breaking my heart by crying.  I keep getting notifications from my security system saying a noise has been detected and when I check the footage, it's just him crying.  It's breaking my heart.  The other dog, who normally sits on the couch all day sleeping, has been upstairs all morning.  I know it took a couple of weeks before our first pup started to like the crate.  I'm hoping this new guy starts to like it soon.  He's breaking my heart.  :(

He's so awesome.  We spent all weekend with him.  We have another pup that's 2 years old.  We had planned to get a puppy when she turned two so she could show him the ropes.  It's amazing how much they are like humans.  She is so jealous of him and does not like sharing any of her toys.

And if she has 1 of the 50 toys out of her playpen, of course that's the one he wants. And he's willing to fight her for it.  They crack me up.

But today, we had to leave him alone in his crate for the first time.  And he is breaking my heart by crying.  I keep getting notifications from my security system saying a noise has been detected and when I check the footage, it's just him crying.  It's breaking my heart.  The other dog, who normally sits on the couch all day sleeping, has been upstairs all morning.  I know it took a couple of weeks before our first pup started to like the crate.  I'm hoping this new guy starts to like it soon.  He's breaking my heart.  :(

You drove him home in your Honda, didn't you? :)

:drive:

Seriously, that's awesome. Hope he is full of love and awesomeness and that he gets used to being crated. 

Rescue or bought?

I just put my buddy down and I am starting to get the itch. I really like a dog in my life.

Rescue or bought?

I just put my buddy down and I am starting to get the itch. I really like a dog in my life.
And sorry to hear about your buddy.  Always so difficult.  We had to do the same last year and it still hurts to think about.

What breed?

and totatly envious- daughter and I want a dog, wife and son don't. I also know living in our hovel, tiny apt in NYC, a dog doesnt' make a lot of sense... but I've just been jonesing for a pup lately.

His new thing is chewing on everything in the house.  In the last week, he's ruined the couch and the carpet in the upstairs hallway.  Today, I turn on the monitor and see him start chewing on the ottoman.  Now, as much as I have a vendetta against that thing for breaking two of my toes, I still don't want it ruined.  We have a cheap camera that only lets us hear sound, can't talk back.  So I quickly call the house phone and the ringing and voice of the Xfinity robot yelling the number out scares him away.  I've now been playing this game for 2 hours and each time I spot him I have to call and scare him.  

The worst part is, if you catch him in the act in person and yell, he runs away but pees the entire time.  So there's just piss all over everything.  So you have to find that perfect tone that scolds him but doesn't send him running in fear.  

He's so lovey and it's so hard to stay mad at him for longer than a couple of minutes.  But damnit, I'll be glad when he's over this stage.

Kong toys are your friend

He's cute as heck
Thing is, he has 1000 toys.  And he loves them all.  He also has a sister and they play constantly.  But every so often, when she gets tired of playing, his first thought is, "I'm gonna tear this place the **** up."

Sounds like he needs more exercise/activity.  Dogs chew stuff up when they're not given enough active time.  Some breeds need a lot of this.  

Before I go to lunch, check the camera, he's sleeping on the couch.  Out cold.  Go get food, come back to the office, check the camera.  He's still out cold on the couch.  But the corner of the ottoman is tore up.  It's like he's messing with me.   :angry:

My last dog would tear through a Kong toy in a few days. The pet store told me to get a tire for him.

That was 10+ years ago. The wife is starting to put the hard sell on me for a dog again.
Dogs are great.  They provide much more good times than bad.  I always say that our first dog was better than anti-depressants for me. 

His new thing is chewing on everything in the house.  In the last week, he's ruined the couch and the carpet in the upstairs hallway.  Today, I turn on the monitor and see him start chewing on the ottoman.

The worst part is, if you catch him in the act in person and yell, he runs away but pees the entire time.  So there's just piss all over everything. 
Dogs rule. 

Any doggy daycares available in your area. Our pup is seven months old and goes to daycare while my wife and I are at work all day. Been the best decision ever. She gets all her exercise and aggression out and is totally out every night at 8 pm. One of her best buds is a Corgi there. They love it. We love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any doggy daycares available in your area. Our pup is seven months old and goes to daycare while my wife and I are at work all day. Been the best decision ever. She gets all her exercise and is totally out every night at 8 pm. One of her best buds is a Corgi there. They love it.
I'm sure there are, but the whole reason we have two dogs is so they can keep each other occupied while we're not there.  And they love each other.  Well. Love like siblings.  They are honestly like two kids trying to piss the other off.  But in a loving way.  :lol:

And I get about 200 alerts on my phone telling me the motion sensor is going off.  And I have about 10,000 15 second security clips of them wrestling over toys.  So it's not that they aren't active.  Very active, actually.  

I really wanted to get a corgi when we were looking 2 years ago. But he'd have been left alone all day while we worked and since they're smart herd/work dogs he'd get bored and destroy the house. They require more stimulation than we had time to provide and that wouldn't be fair.

Any doggy daycares available in your area. Our pup is seven months old and goes to daycare while my wife and I are at work all day. Been the best decision ever. She gets all her exercise and aggression out and is totally out every night at 8 pm. One of her best buds is a Corgi there. They love it. We love it.
How much to you pay for daycare? We have one in our area but it's like $60 per day.

His new thing is chewing on everything in the house.  In the last week, he's ruined the couch and the carpet in the upstairs hallway.  Today, I turn on the monitor and see him start chewing on the ottoman.  Now, as much as I have a vendetta against that thing for breaking two of my toes, I still don't want it ruined.  We have a cheap camera that only lets us hear sound, can't talk back.  So I quickly call the house phone and the ringing and voice of the Xfinity robot yelling the number out scares him away.  I've now been playing this game for 2 hours and each time I spot him I have to call and scare him.  

The worst part is, if you catch him in the act in person and yell, he runs away but pees the entire time.  So there's just piss all over everything.  So you have to find that perfect tone that scolds him but doesn't send him running in fear.  

He's so lovey and it's so hard to stay mad at him for longer than a couple of minutes.  But damnit, I'll be glad when he's over this stage.
Stories like this make me more and more confident I'll never get another dog (currently have a 3-4 year old mutt).  I feel like we hit the lottery with this dog in that it is perfect is almost every way.  Her only issue is that she is a submissive pee'er, so anytime someone comes home you have to play the ignore game with her for a while.  If you got to pet her right away she pees.  If a stranger, or a friend who comes over only occasionally comes over, pee right away.

She loves to chew stuff and will chew 24/7 if we let her.  She'll go crazy on something for a while and I'll just have to tell her to stop to give her teeth a break.  But, only once has she ever chewed something she wasn't supposed to (when we first had her we had company over and ignored her for an hour or two so she chewed the corner of a wooden bench.  No biggie).  Never chewed a shoe, or a sock, or a couch, or anything destructible that was valuable.

Love her to pieces, but I think I'm just over the puppy stage.  Don't have time for that anymore.

How much to you pay for daycare? We have one in our area but it's like $60 per day.
$20 per day. $100 per week. Brand new facility. All epoxy flooring indoors. Expansive outdoor fenced in play area. It’s awesome. We got so lucky. We shopped all over but found the same thing. They were all $50 plus per day. We lucked into this place.

https://www.jorgensensdoggybarn.com/

Taylor is fantastic as are all the girls that work there. Our dog loves it.

I'm sure there are, but the whole reason we have two dogs is so they can keep each other occupied while we're not there.  And they love each other.  Well. Love like siblings.  They are honestly like two kids trying to piss the other off.  But in a loving way.  :lol:

And I get about 200 alerts on my phone telling me the motion sensor is going off.  And I have about 10,000 15 second security clips of them wrestling over toys.  So it's not that they aren't active.  Very active, actually.  
Yea, that’s why you send one or both to daycare to get all that pent up aggression out. It’s been a godsend for us and she has become a really wonderful dog since going there.

Not sure if your Corgi does this, but the one at daycare nips at all the other dogs feet. Pisses them off. LOL. But it’s their nature being a herding dog.

Yea, that’s why you send one or both to daycare to get all that pent up aggression out. It’s been a godsend for us and she has become a really wonderful dog since going there.

Not sure if your Corgi does this, but the one at daycare nips at all the other dogs feet. Pisses them off. LOL. But it’s their nature being a herding dog.
They nip at my feet whenever I go into the kitchen.  Just in their DNA.  Always trying to keep me from straying off the path.  :lol:

Stories like this make me more and more confident I'll never get another dog (currently have a 3-4 year old mutt).  I feel like we hit the lottery with this dog in that it is perfect is almost every way.  Her only issue is that she is a submissive pee'er, so anytime someone comes home you have to play the ignore game with her for a while.  If you got to pet her right away she pees.  If a stranger, or a friend who comes over only occasionally comes over, pee right away.

She loves to chew stuff and will chew 24/7 if we let her.  She'll go crazy on something for a while and I'll just have to tell her to stop to give her teeth a break.  But, only once has she ever chewed something she wasn't supposed to (when we first had her we had company over and ignored her for an hour or two so she chewed the corner of a wooden bench.  No biggie).  Never chewed a shoe, or a sock, or a couch, or anything destructible that was valuable.

Love her to pieces, but I think I'm just over the puppy stage.  Don't have time for that anymore.
The puppy stage has its difficulties but I love it more than I hate it.  

Had a neighbor growing up who always had the most beautiful golden retrievers, nearly the color of Irish Setters.  Purebred and very expensive and always professionally trained in obedience and hunting.  They got a new one every five years or so, often had three and four at a time.  When one would pass they  would get another.  The Dad was overly proud of them and a bit boorish about it.

After I had left home but when still returning for visits I met one of the new acquisitions, Benji, short for Benjamin.  Same size, coloration, and Sire but Benji was an excited piddler.  He would roll over on his back and pee straight up whenever excited and they told me so. For the next several days every time I would pass their house and the dog would look out I would shout his name excitedly and he would pee all over himself.  The father, who I did not like would bust out into a string of profanity.  He should never have given me access to that information as I was young and disrespectful and could not help but use it for my own bemusement.  That poor dog paid a price for my amusement.

And sorry to hear about your buddy.  Always so difficult.  We had to do the same last year and it still hurts to think about.
I did get a puppy from the rescue shortly after this. He is fantastic. Active but if you do the exercise he is great at other times. I do notice that I have to get the exercise in but that is cool with me. I hike a fair amount and I wanted a buddy for that. He is by far the smartest dog I have ever friended. Either that or I have gotten better at training. He is a rescue so I do not know the exact breed mix but I do believe he is primarily a Catahoula Leopard dog. Really cool looking dog, has different color eyes, leopard pattern coat, and webbed feet. He is now at about 40 lbs and I am hoping he will stop growing soon.

Last night I come home from work.  I get home before my wife so I'm the first one home since the fall of the ottoman Empire.  Our older dog, Charlotte, comes flying down the stairs to greet me.  She gives me a quick kiss, then runs back up the stairs and hides.  It was like she knew that he was getting in trouble and she just wanted to come down and be like, "Hey dad.  Love you and I want you to know it wasn't me.  Bye." :lol:

Last night I come home from work.  I get home before my wife so I'm the first one home since the fall of the ottoman Empire.  Our older dog, Charlotte, comes flying down the stairs to greet me.  She gives me a quick kiss, then runs back up the stairs and hides.  It was like she knew that he was getting in trouble and she just wanted to come down and be like, "Hey dad.  Love you and I want you to know it wasn't me.  Bye." :lol:
Throwing the puppy under the bus.  All part of establishing who is the Alpha.  Good for the old dog.

Users who are viewing this thread