What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Political Movies Review Thread- The American President (1 Viewer)

Now that I’ve seen 2017’s The Post, I have questions in my mind about editor Ben Bradlee; in the latter film, Tom Hanks portrays him as an affable, jovial, inviting sort of guy (much like Tom Hanks), whereas in the earlier movie Jason Robards plays him as cynical, tired, ascerbic (much like Jason Robards) I doubt he was both.
Love Hanks, but he simply has no edge. Ruined Bonfire of Vanities and the Dan Brown movies that way. Bradlee was ALL edge, from what i've heard

Where do you guys rank The Post? I thought it was brilliant, but haven’t really given much thought to all-time rankings within the genre.
I liked it quite well, but the movie was a lot more orderly than the story it told. Re-upping w Mark Rylance from Bridge of Spies in order to switch the focus over to the vainglorious Daniel Ellsberg might have been more fun, but the Katherine Graham angle was compelling and important.

Love Hanks, but he simply has no edge. Ruined Bonfire of Vanities and the Dan Brown movies that way. Bradlee was ALL edge, from what i've heard
While I agree with my friends opinion of Hanks, Bradlee came from a family that has direct lineage to Old World royalty on both sides. Their wealth took a tremendous hit during the depression, but what The Post depicts (& ATPM ignores) is both KG & BB hobnobbed with the D.C. social elite. 

While I agree with my friends opinion of Hanks, Bradlee came from a family that has direct lineage to Old World royalty on both sides. Their wealth took a tremendous hit during the depression, but what The Post depicts (& ATPM ignores) is both KG & BB hobnobbed with the D.C. social elite. 
tru dat. i had to practice palatial manners for the first two novels i attempted - both set in the Ancien Regime/French Revolution/Napoleonic era - and the gracious disemboweling that was de rigueur in aristocratic salons would have been perfect training for hard-driving editors of bigtime newspapers. What little i saw of Bluebookers in Manhattan showed me more turf wars than Bloods/Crips

American History X (1998) 

Directed by Tony Kaye

Starring Edward Norton, Edward Furlong, Fairuza Balk, Stacy Keach

Plot Edward Norton is a white supremacist who is let out of jail, having given up his former beliefs. He attempts to save his younger brother from going down the same road but is unable to stop eventual tragedy. 

Political accuracy The movie attempts to show how certain people can become radicalized into the white supremacist movement, exploring its roots, ideas, and romanticism. I think it’s a fairly accurate portrayal, and though over 20 years old it’s presentation doesn’t seem dated except for the distressing fact that at the present time this movement seems larger and more respectable than ever. 

The one aspect of the film that struck me as unlikely is that Norton makes a black friend in prison and abruptly decides to renounce his precious beliefs. In real life, my understanding is that the opposite happens; people who have these sort of racist feelings going in to prison become far more radicalized once inside. 

Grade Excellent script writing an acting. Norton is arguably at his very best ever in this role. Special shout out to Fairuza Balk, who comes across as evil, pitiable, and sexy at the same time. A

The only movie I can recall where he somewhat had some edge was Road to Perdition. I still don't know if I totally bought him in that role but it was the closest he came. 

The most amazing part of the movie is that it made a detective story that mostly revolves around people taking notes on the phone exciting. It's also crazy how much all the key writers of the film seemed to be on totally different pages about what the movie should be. Redford seems to want all the credit despite not being credited. William Goldman got all the credit but hated it. Woodward and Bernstein said they used almost nothing from Goldman's script but from what I've heard, if you actually look at the script almost everything he did was kept. At one point Nora Ephron worked on it with Bernstein and made a script that turned Bernstein into a Phillip Marlowe type who slept with every hot chick in DC. The whole production sounds like a mess but somehow it produced a classic thriller movie about taking notes. Alan Pakula deserves a #### ton of credit. 
Absolutely.

The only movie I can recall where he somewhat had some edge was Road to Perdition. I still don't know if I totally bought him in that role but it was the closest he came. 
it's his infernal decency. i spent a weekend with him when he was just a TV star - my gf's brother was his NYC roommate - and he could cut up with the best of em (verrrry funny guy) but he's one of those rare people who defeat selfishness with force of personality and one really can't play against that. i remember more of the dad than the gangster in Perdition

TCM has some of these movies playing  Saturday if anyone is interested (times are Eastern)

Noon Mr Smith Goes to Washington

2:30 All the Kings Men

6:15 Dr Strangelove

timschochet said:

Directed by Tony Kaye

Plot Edward Norton is a white supremacist who is let out of jail, having given up his former beliefs. He attempts to save his younger brother from going down the same road but is unable to stop eventual tragedy. 

Political accuracy The movie attempts to show how certain people can become radicalized into the white supremacist movement, exploring its roots, ideas, and romanticism. I think it’s a fairly accurate portrayal, and though over 20 years old it’s presentation doesn’t seem dated except for the distressing fact that at the present time this movement seems larger and more respectable than ever. 

The one aspect of the film that struck me as unlikely is that Norton makes a black friend in prison and abruptly decides to renounce his precious beliefs. In real life, my understanding is that the opposite happens; people who have these sort of racist feelings going in to prison become far more radicalized once inside. 

Grade Excellent script writing an acting. Norton is arguably at his very best ever in this role. Special shout out to Fairuza Balk, who comes across as evil, pitiable, and sexy at the same time. A
Elliot Gould's best work. 

timschochet said:

Directed by Tony Kaye

This is one of my all time favorites and still have the DVD on my shelf.
But I'm not sure it's political as it is ideological/philosophical. Either way, a great film.

And you're probably right about the unlikelihood of Derek making a black friend and being protected by the black gang in prison. From all the Shaun Atwood youtube videos I've seen, prisons are run according to race affiliation. 

And you're probably right about the unlikelihood of Derek making a black friend and being protected by the black gang in prison. From all the Shaun Atwood youtube videos I've seen, prisons are run according to race affiliation. 
If we're complaining about unlikelihood, what about that dunk?

The American President (1995)

Directed by Rob Reiner

Starring: Michael Douglas, Annette Benning, Martin Sheen, Michael J Fox 

Plot Michael Douglas plays a President who is a widower and decides to ask an environmental lobbyist (Benning) on a date. As the two begin a romance, Douglas must decide whether his political goals are more important than his love for her. 

Political Accuracy The writer, Aaron Sorkin, pays homage to Frank Capra throughout the film, even having Benning mention him when she visits the White House for the first time. This movie is a romantic comedy and it’s also meant to offer an idealized old fashioned Hollywood view of the Presidency. In addition, Sorkin, preparing for The West Wing (in many ways this movie is a preview of that show, including many of the same actors and some very similar characters), offers a liberal smorgasbord of ideas, as Douglas fights against global warming and for banning assault weapons. Rejecting pragmatism and compromise, at the end of the movie he decides to push for the extreme liberal desired outcome on both issues- and wins, winning Benning’s love as well. In other words, this is a fantasy, but again, it’s Hollywood. 

Grade You need to look past the complete unreality of the whole thing and indulge yourself in wish fulfillment. If you can do that, it’s a wonderful movie. Great acting, script, direction, music. A feel good classic. A

The American President (1995)

Directed by Rob Reiner

Starring: Michael Douglas, Annette Benning, Martin Sheen, Michael J Fox 

Plot Michael Douglas plays a President who is a widower and decides to ask an environmental lobbyist (Benning) on a date. As the two begin a romance, Douglas must decide whether his political goals are more important than his love for her. 

Political Accuracy The writer, Aaron Sorkin, pays homage to Frank Capra throughout the film, even having Benning mention him when she visits the White House for the first time. This movie is a romantic comedy and it’s also meant to offer an idealized old fashioned Hollywood view of the Presidency. In addition, Sorkin, preparing for The West Wing (in many ways this movie is a preview of that show, including many of the same actors and some very similar characters), offers a liberal smorgasbord of ideas, as Douglas fights against global warming and for banning assault weapons. Rejecting pragmatism and compromise, at the end of the movie he decides to push for the extreme liberal desired outcome on both issues- and wins, winning Benning’s love as well. In other words, this is a fantasy, but again, it’s Hollywood. 

Grade You need to look past the complete unreality of the whole thing and indulge yourself in wish fulfillment. If you can do that, it’s a wonderful movie. Great acting, script, direction, music. A feel good classic. A
For all his talents, esp his "let boys be boys and, while we're at it, let girls be boys, too" trope, Sorkin is better at suggesting than writing romance. Otherwise, there is so much "you can't do this" in his stuff that even the worst of it is heady.

Users who are viewing this thread