What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump Gives Tiger Metal of Freedom (1 Viewer)

John Blutarsky

Footballguy
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/06/720656746/trump-gives-presidential-medal-of-freedom-to-tiger-woods

President Trump Monday awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom to golfer Tiger Woods in a ceremony at the White House.

Trump praised Woods' many accomplishments on the golf course and his ability to come back from debilitating physical adversity that might have permanently sidelined any other athlete.

"Tiger Woods is a global symbol of American excellence, devotion and drive," Trump said as Woods stood by him. "These qualities embody the American spirit of pushing boundaries, defying limits and always striving for greatness."

With his mother and two children in attendance, Woods thanked his family, personal friends and aides in brief and emotional remarks.

"You've seen the good and the bad, the highs and the lows, and I would not be in this position without all of your help," he said.

Trump has had a contentious relationship with many black athletesbut Woods has a long history with the president.

Trump has long been a fan and recently, a business partner of Woods. He announced his decision to give the award to Woods in a tweet, after Woods won the Masters tournament last month at age 43, capping a remarkable comeback from personal turmoil and physical injuries.

Not everyone is a fan of Trump's decision to award Woods the Medal of Freedom, or of Wood's decision to accept it. Writer Rick Reilly, whose book Commander In Cheat portrays Trump as a notorious flouter of golf rules, tweeted Woods should spurn the award, because he says, Trump "thinks golf should only be for the rich."

Monday's ceremony is the second time in less than six months that Trump has awarded Medals of Freedom. In November, the President gave the award to a number of people, including Elvis and Babe Ruth.

Woods becomes the fourth professional golfer to receive the medal, along with Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer and Charlie Sifford. Woods said in the ceremony that Sifford was a mentor and that he named his own son, Charlie, after him.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/06/720656746/trump-gives-presidential-medal-of-freedom-to-tiger-woods

President Trump Monday awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom to golfer Tiger Woods in a ceremony at the White House.

Trump praised Woods' many accomplishments on the golf course and his ability to come back from debilitating physical adversity that might have permanently sidelined any other athlete.

"Tiger Woods is a global symbol of American excellence, devotion and drive," Trump said as Woods stood by him. "These qualities embody the American spirit of pushing boundaries, defying limits and always striving for greatness."

With his mother and two children in attendance, Woods thanked his family, personal friends and aides in brief and emotional remarks.

"You've seen the good and the bad, the highs and the lows, and I would not be in this position without all of your help," he said.

Trump has had a contentious relationship with many black athletesbut Woods has a long history with the president.

Trump has long been a fan and recently, a business partner of Woods. He announced his decision to give the award to Woods in a tweet, after Woods won the Masters tournament last month at age 43, capping a remarkable comeback from personal turmoil and physical injuries.

Not everyone is a fan of Trump's decision to award Woods the Medal of Freedom, or of Wood's decision to accept it. Writer Rick Reilly, whose book Commander In Cheat portrays Trump as a notorious flouter of golf rules, tweeted Woods should spurn the award, because he says, Trump "thinks golf should only be for the rich."

Monday's ceremony is the second time in less than six months that Trump has awarded Medals of Freedom. In November, the President gave the award to a number of people, including Elvis and Babe Ruth.

Woods becomes the fourth professional golfer to receive the medal, along with Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer and Charlie Sifford. Woods said in the ceremony that Sifford was a mentor and that he named his own son, Charlie, after him.
I agree with Rick Reilly 

Reilly is wrong. 

Although Trump does get to make the decision who gets the award, Tiger is not accepting a personal award from Trump; he’s accepting an award from the United States. If he refused to accept that would be an insult not just to Trump but to the country. 

This award is a pretty big deal. I like that Tiger is getting it. Well deserved IMO. 

Reilly is wrong. 

Although Trump does get to make the decision who gets the award, Tiger is not accepting a personal award from Trump; he’s accepting an award from the United States. If he refused to accept that would be an insult not just to Trump but to the country. 

This award is a pretty big deal. I like that Tiger is getting it. Well deserved IMO. 

Why? 

It recognizes those people who have made "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors."

I love Tiger. But I don't know why he should get it. Though I'm willing to be persuaded. Also, I reckon Trump did it for the exact reason @SaintsInDome2006 wrote above.

Why? 

It recognizes those people who have made "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors."

I love Tiger. But I don't know why he should get it. Though I'm willing to be persuaded. Also, I reckon Trump did it for the exact reason @SaintsInDome2006 wrote above.
His Masters win is one of the great feel good stories. People always love the athlete that comes back against adversity and reclaims mastery of his or her sport, especially late in life. It certainly made me happy. 

I'm struggling to understand why this is in the politics forum :oldunsure:

Is the insinuation that he did it for political reasons?

I was just about to post this article.

I don't get it.

Isn't this a slap in the face for almost all military (active and veterans), law enforcement, etc.?  

I don't get it.

Isn't this a slap in the face for almost all military (active and veterans), law enforcement, etc.?  
After reading more about it, I guess it's been given to all types of celebs over the years.

Whatever.

I'll let it pass.

For now...

After reading more about it, I guess it's been given to all types of celebs over the years.

Whatever.

I'll let it pass.

For now...
My wife read an article about this. She was pretty annoyed. I told her to look up the list of people that have been given it before reacting.

She got to Bill Cosby and was quite irritated with the writer of the article. 

His Masters win is one of the great feel good stories. People always love the athlete that comes back against adversity and reclaims mastery of his or her sport, especially late in life. It certainly made me happy. 

His Masters win was AWESOME. I loved it. But it just didn't seem like that was enough to get the highest honor the President can give a civilian.

But it appears that celebrities, athletes, etc. get the medal quite a bit. So if that's the case, I've no problem with it. 

Finally tiger gets some recognition.  It must have been difficult for him to struggle in anonymity and to never have received public affirmation.  As for his occasional contretemps involving drugs, alcohol, prostitution, drugged driving well should those stop him from being held out as a role model of our society? 

Glad for tiger he deserves the award.  I think I read before that Tiger is a big supporter of Trump.  I guess if their business partners it is true.

Id think current golfers would be skeptical of accepting an award from a man who is notorious for cheating at the game they play.

No. 

Well maybe drugged driving. Wasn’t aware of that. The others, no. Victimless. 
I would argue otherwise.  In a time of the Me Too Movement, in a time where we are trying to impart to our daughters that they have worth, equal worth, worth based on something more than sexual objectification, well I would not honor a man who heartily supports prostitution which does the opposite of what we are trying to impart.  I am not arguing that he should forever be a pariah, only that he should not be held up as an example. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always loved Tiger the golfer, not so much Tiger the person.  I don't know if Tiger deserves it over anyone else but, whatever.  There are other things to worry about in life.

sho nuff said:
Id think current golfers would be skeptical of accepting an award from a man who is notorious for cheating at the game they play.
Was Mike Tirico available for comment?

sho nuff said:
Like they would get up there and Trump would hand him a participation trophy and say haha, got you? What does this post mean, exactly? 

timschochet said:
Why are golfers allowed to womanize and cheat on their wives when politicians are not?

eoMMan said:

I don't get it.

Its a civilian award

Why are golfers allowed to womanize and cheat on their wives when politicians are not?
If you’re asking me personally, I really don’t care if a person cheats on his wife, or womanizes, so long as everything is done with consent. I see that as private business and none of mine. 

If it’s done without consent, or somebody is underage, completely different story of course. 

If you’re asking me personally, I really don’t care if a person cheats on his wife, or womanizes, so long as everything is done with consent. I see that as private business and none of mine. 

If it’s done without consent, or somebody is underage, completely different story of course. 
I doubt Tiger's womanizing was with consent of his wife, considering that she sued for divorce

I doubt Tiger's womanizing was with consent of his wife, considering that she sued for divorce
More of the same do as I say, not as I do.  The party of morals & family values conveniently look the other way when actions don't fit their agenda, I guess if they really believe in what they preach their day of reckoning will come.

Like they would get up there and Trump would hand him a participation trophy and say haha, got you? What does this post mean, exactly? 
That they’d rather not accept the award from a guy that pisses all over the game they play?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread