What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

God I hate having to buy gifts for my wife... (1 Viewer)

Fat Nick

Footballguy
Every year around this time, I realize again how much I hate buying gifts for my wife.  It's not that I don't love her or don't want to buy her things, it's that I just suck at it.  This time of year it's the triumvirate of her birthday in late April, Mother's day in May, and our anniversary in early June.  Combine that with the fact that she doesn't have hobbies (doesn't garden, doesn't drink coffee, doesn't hike or do outdoorsy stuff), and that we both generally buy whatever we need on our own, and I just generally never have anything to get her.  She's cost conscious, so I feel wasteful getting her stuff like flowers.  She's weight conscious, so I wouldn't buy her a box of sweets or some kind of treat.  She's fashion-forward (and I'm NOT) so I'm scared to buy her clothes.  She already has more purses/handbags than I can count.  "Experiences" are an option, but very hard as we have 2 little kiddos, both have demanding jobs, and have no family within 4 hours, so finding time alone is difficult.  So what does that leave?  Jewelry - more and more jewelry.  

To top it off, she's the best #### gift giver I've ever seen.  She can always find the coolest gift or neatest experience.  I don't know how she does it.  Much like female argument skills, it's something I'm convinced is gender-specific.

Combine all these things, and I literally get headaches stressing over gifts this time of year.  I WANT to get her something as awesome as she gives me.  Mother's day is coming.  I have ZERO.  I managed to squeeze a birthday "experience" in there that was maybe a 6 out of 10, but nothing for Mother's day.  Praying we can mutually agree to skip the meaningless 8th anniversary gifts so maybe I can get a reprieve on that one.

[/end rant]

The May struggle is real.  I get hit with Mothers Day, Anniversary and Bday in a 12-14 day span this time every year.  We just go to the beach and she buys whatever the hell she wants while were there and we do a nice dinner while were there.   

The only thing I've learned is the more you can get on board with not having to open presents the better things will be in the long run.   

Mother's day is easy. Get a bunch of pics of your kid and find one of the online services where you can create a bound book with photos of your kids. My teenage kids actually did this for me actually my father passed away and it was one of the best gifts I have ever received. 

In general though, you know what her favorite things are. It doesn't matter WHAT you get her. The effort and thought you put into it is what makes the gift.

Maybe plan and pay for a spa day for her, where you take care of everything. Food (could be a gift card, or a reservation at a fav spot), sitter for the kids (that might be you), bubble bath and clean house when she gets home. 

The May struggle is real.  I get hit with Mothers Day, Anniversary and Bday in a 12-14 day span this time every year.  We just go to the beach and she buys whatever the hell she wants while were there and we do a nice dinner while were there.   

The only thing I've learned is the more you can get on board with not having to open presents the better things will be in the long run.   

Every year around this time, I realize again how much I hate buying gifts for my wife.  It's not that I don't love her or don't want to buy her things, it's that I just suck at it.  This time of year it's the triumvirate of her birthday in late April, Mother's day in May, and our anniversary in early June.  Combine that with the fact that she doesn't have hobbies (doesn't garden, doesn't drink coffee, doesn't hike or do outdoorsy stuff), and that we both generally buy whatever we need on our own, and I just generally never have anything to get her.  She's cost conscious, so I feel wasteful getting her stuff like flowers.  She's weight conscious, so I wouldn't buy her a box of sweets or some kind of treat.  She's fashion-forward (and I'm NOT) so I'm scared to buy her clothes.  She already has more purses/handbags than I can count.  "Experiences" are an option, but very hard as we have 2 little kiddos, both have demanding jobs, and have no family within 4 hours, so finding time alone is difficult.  So what does that leave?  Jewelry - more and more jewelry.  

To top it off, she's the best #### gift giver I've ever seen.  She can always find the coolest gift or neatest experience.  I don't know how she does it.  Much like female argument skills, it's something I'm convinced is gender-specific.

Combine all these things, and I literally get headaches stressing over gifts this time of year.  I WANT to get her something as awesome as she gives me.  Mother's day is coming.  I have ZERO.  I managed to squeeze a birthday "experience" in there that was maybe a 6 out of 10, but nothing for Mother's day.  Praying we can mutually agree to skip the meaningless 8th anniversary gifts so maybe I can get a reprieve on that one.

[/end rant]
Take her out for a nice dinner and give her a card with a picture of your family and add a hand written note that she is the best mother on earth and how much you and the kids adore her.  Then sign it and have your kids sign it.  

Mother's day is easy. Get a bunch of pics of your kid and find one of the online services where you can create a bound book with photos of your kids. My teenage kids actually did this for me actually my father passed away and it was one of the best gifts I have ever received. 

In general though, you know what her favorite things are. It doesn't matter WHAT you get her. The effort and thought you put into it is what makes the gift.

Maybe plan and pay for a spa day for her, where you take care of everything. Food (could be a gift card, or a reservation at a fav spot), sitter for the kids (that might be you), bubble bath and clean house when she gets home. 
She does the photo books for every trip we take, and also for each of the kids 1x per year.  We've got like 10 of them.  I love them and agree they're awesome - we do those for the grandparents as gifts a lot.

The spa day is basically what I did for her birthday.  Brunch, Went to look at a new car for her (haven't bought yet, but close), Spa, Lunch, home for naps (which we never get).

I think I need to heed your middle comment - just get her something.  I'm my biggest critic when it comes to that as I feel like I should have that perfect gift.  

She does the photo books for every trip we take, and also for each of the kids 1x per year.  We've got like 10 of them.  I love them and agree they're awesome - we do those for the grandparents as gifts a lot.

The spa day is basically what I did for her birthday.  Brunch, Went to look at a new car for her (haven't bought yet, but close), Spa, Lunch, home for naps (which we never get).

I think I need to heed your middle comment - just get her something.  I'm my biggest critic when it comes to that as I feel like I should have that perfect gift.  
how about a book of pics of her with the kids? like just them... could be a 'throw-in' gift, if nothing else

also new car seems like a great gift! ;)  

Mrs. Rascal's approved list when all else fails:

1) spa day

2) something made with our kids or about our kids

3) tickets to a musical (we just watched Hamilton, which i recommend), baseball game, concert, etc.

4) remove a stresser.  If she is stressing out about something, find a way to take care of it.  

5) dinner and a night out.  There are babysitting services if you don't have family nearby.

Last edited by a moderator:

this guy knows what he is talking about.  agree 100%

also, plenty of other options besides books... you can do a wall or desk calendar, blanket, etc. The main draw with these gifts is that you are putting in the effort to pick out the photos you think she'll cherish the most. Can't lose. 

Thankfully, we're at the point where we just go out for a nice dinner on special occasions. No exchanging gifts, although I'll get something for her on a rare occasion if I know it's something she'd like. No obligation to do so though.

The May struggle is real.  I get hit with Mothers Day, Anniversary and Bday in a 12-14 day span this time every year. 
for me it's November  - February

oldest daughter birthday in November, wife & sister in December, Christmas, NYE has to be a big deal, Valentine's in February... Mom's birthday in April, mother-in-law in May ("we" have to buy her something nice!) then a break until Mother's Day with wedding anniversary hot on its heels.

[/end rant]
Take her on a hike.

When you get out a half mile or so, start scanning the ground for a nice rock. When you find one, pick it up and stand there for a moment, and say something like this:

"This rock symbolizes who you are. You are the rock for me and our family. I couldn't imagine life without you.Thank you for being you."

She will either pull down her panties right there on the spot, or start laughing at you. If she starts laughing, throw the rock at her. 

Fat Nick said:
We unfortunately have one.  Her name is Lizeth and she comes every other week.  
The great thing about this particular item is it will clean much more often than every 14 days.  All with minimal effort or cost to you and the wife. 

When our kids were young I’d give my wife a “day.” I’d go buy a bunch of gift cards to places she likes - Starbucks, a lunch place, macy’s, the movie theater, whatever. I would then make her agree on a weekend day soon where she would go use the gift cards and have a day to herself. I’d hang with the kids that day and she’d go goof off.

It was always a big hit.

Nathan R. Jessep said:
This was going to be my response.  What woman doesn't like a spa day?

Join the club. I never know what my wife defines as a gift. New cell phone? Not a gift. New house ware item? Not a gift. I give up. For mothers day I just bought her a baseball chair because she kept saying she wanted one for all our son's baseball games but I'm sure she'll complain that's not a gift either. 

i dont take my lady to a play that would be sort of half hearted instead each year i do a full scale production of a play myself this year i am doing hms pintofour and let me tell you fellows i am pretty excited about it and i think it will be to die for take that to the bank brochachos

Nathan R. Jessep said:

What, no hugs?

Find out when one of her favorite artists/bands is coming in town, even if months away.  Buy the tickets and give now in a card.  It gives her something to look forward to, and it almost works double duty as two gifts (the thought now, the event upcoming).

My wife says that all that matters is "pre-thought" - that I spent time thinking about what I could do to make her happy.  I usually get it wrong, because she's a fickle one who is hard to please.  If I put forth the effort by picking up clues or noticing things she might need, she is very appreciative.   

Maybe I am wrong on this, but Mother's Day was originally a day to take care of one's own mother. Your wife is your kids mother, so you could help them buy her a nice gift but why should the husband buy one? Shouldn't he be spending that money on his own mama?

When our kids were young I’d give my wife a “day.” I’d go buy a bunch of gift cards to places she likes - Starbucks, a lunch place, macy’s, the movie theater, whatever. I would then make her agree on a weekend day soon where she would go use the gift cards and have a day to herself. I’d hang with the kids that day and she’d go goof off.

It was always a big hit.
this, except I usually team up with another buddy (who's wife is good friend's with my wife) and we double it up.

this year going to do gift cards to a local cheese and wine shop, they have a bunch of interesting classes https://www.formaggiokitchen.com/classes

Tell the wives that we will watch the kids and go enjoy themselves.  It's a big hit, and the flip side is my buddy and I will hang out, sip a few brews while the kids entertain themselves

I already did the spa thing.  That was birthday...2 weeks ago.  Hence why I hate this time of year - I have maybe 1 good idea and I burn it on her birthday.

I snuck out at lunch and bought cards from me and the kiddos at least.  I about #### my pants when I was checking out at Wegmans as one of the cards cost ####### $8.95!!!  EIGHT GOD #### DOLLARS FOR A CARD THAT DOESN'T SING, POP OUT, OR GIVE ANYONE SEXUAL FAVORS!  WTF?  It wasn't worth it to go back and pick out another and wait in line again, so I just paid it. 

Maybe I can just circle the price of that card with a red sharpie and be done with gifts?  "Here honey, I bought you the most expensive one I could find."

I snuck out at lunch and bought cards from me and the kiddos at least.  I about #### my pants when I was checking out at Wegmans as one of the cards cost ####### $8.95!!!  EIGHT GOD #### DOLLARS FOR A CARD THAT DOESN'T SING, POP OUT, OR GIVE ANYONE SEXUAL FAVORS!  WTF?  It wasn't worth it to go back and pick out another and wait in line again, so I just paid it. 

Maybe I can just circle the price of that card with a red sharpie and be done with gifts?  "Here honey, I bought you the most expensive one I could find."
Seriously, for 8.95 you could have bought her a nice electric toothbrush.

Users who are viewing this thread