What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Late Rookie Discussion (1 Viewer)

Someone also burned a late 4th on Bruce Anderson - RB - Tampa.....from North Dakota State

Mentioned once before, but now that I have him... Bruce Anderson is the guy to go get IMO. Jones cant catch a cold. Barber isnt known for his hands... he can do it but I'm not sure in high volume. Bruce Anderson has a great opportunity to at the very least carve out a passing role in this offense, and best steal the starting job all together. super excited about this guy
Waivers for my dynasty ran on Friday and I was able to pick him up. Surprised he's not talked about with who he has in front of him.

I don’t want to get to far into this, but I have to ask.  If fumbling is such an easy problem to solve, then why does he still have it?  You think his high school and college coaches just didn’t notice him putting the ball on the carpet or just didn’t care?  How does a consumate pro like Adrian Peterson continue to have fumbling problems throughout his pro career if the fix is so simple?
I never worry about fumbling coming out (in college). Over the years, it's EXTREMELY rare for a RB to have his career derailed by fumbling if they truly show legit NFL ability.

Homer may or may not be a thing. He's got things to overcome, but the chance fumbling will be the cause of his demise is rather small. Like small enough to not change the way I feel about him AT ALL (or any RB I like for that matter).

Like you, I don't want to get into this too deep right now. If it looks like fumbling might cause him to not reach his potential, I’ll take another look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing I like about Homer is he won’t turn 21 until August. I have no doubt he would’ve had a monster season had he stayed at Miami.

Homer is much lighter than what I typically like at 201, but he’s young enough to add some good weight rather easily.

I’ll be really surprised if Homer doesn’t make the team. 

I probably didn’t want to talk about this much until my Zealots drafts and FA’s were through. This is a very good UDFA crop to take free shots on. The only one I’ve maybe seen mentioned that doesn’t really have my attention is Bruce Anderson. Other than that:

Damarea Crockett: I pair him with Higdon when I can but I really don’t like Higdon. A lot of where I’ve adjusted to with RB’s goes with age and breakout age. Crockett is one of the youngest in both of these categories. If I understand correctly he’s had some disciplinary issues and injuries have cropped up but I don’t think you can beat his profile. 225 lbs, 80th percentile speed score (huge for a player his size), 4.55 40, 21 years old, 1000 yd rusher as a true freshman and a really impressive outing against Florida (also UGA in my opinion but wasn’t used in the second half due to being down). This is the UDFA I’m stashing on every squad. It’s clear O’Brien has always wanted a big back, if Foreman isn’t back, he just has to beat out Higdon for a prime backup job to Miller.

I probably didn’t want to talk about this much until my Zealots drafts and FA’s were through. This is a very good UDFA crop to take free shots on. The only one I’ve maybe seen mentioned that doesn’t really have my attention is Bruce Anderson. Other than that:

Damarea Crockett: I pair him with Higdon when I can but I really don’t like Higdon. A lot of where I’ve adjusted to without RB’s goes with age and breakout age. Crockett is one of the youngest in both of these categories. If I understand correctly he’s had some disciplinary issues and injuries have cropped up but I don’t think you can beat his profile. 225 lbs, 80% percentile speed score (huge for a player his size), 4.55 40, 21 years old, 1000 yd rusher as a true freshman and a really impressive outing against Florida (also UGA in my opinion but wasn’t used in the second half due to being down). This is the UDFA I’m stashing on every squad. It’s clear O’Brien has always wanted a big back, if Foreman isn’t back, he just has to beat out Higdon for a prime backup job to Miller.
I was able to nab him as well. Hes as good of a stash as anyone. Super pumped for his outlook

Alex Barnes is my 3rd stash. He has a great opportunity and possibly is the best of the three backs mentioned by you and I (Anderson, Crockett, Barnes)

I’m going to talk more about these guys after my offseason waiver run right before training camps start, but one guy I don’t particularly like I’ve seen mentioned is Damarea Crockett. The situation is a plus, but he’s lacking as a prospect, IMO.

Crockett has good size & is an outstanding raw athlete, but he doesn’t have quality instincts. He kinda runs like a WR after the catch (& looks like one, too, with his “high-cut” body style). These type RBs rarely make it. Even if Crockett makes the 53, I don’t see him as a legit pro RB.

Waivers just ran post draft in one of my leagues....spent half my bb bux on dawson knox and preston williams.....cut nick foles and devontae booker.....i always burn my bb bucks early...

Boobie is already their best pass-catcher as a rookie. That, alone, is worth the rather small investment given KC’s potential on offense.

Also, despite being undersized, Boobie has some legit skills as a runner. He’s really good in space.

I like Boobie better than Thompson simply because of his ceiling. Tremendous cost to upside ratio as a late round flier.

On Thursday, the Chiefs announced a flurry of roster moves as they signed tight end Neal Sterling and released three players in the process to clear room for not only Sterling but other candidates. Among those names were offensive lineman Justin Senior, running back James Williams, and linebacker Gary Johnson. It’s the latter two that came as a fairly big surprise to Chiefs fans paying attention, since those were among the best bets to make the active roster.

James "Boobie" Willaims is a fairly big surprise to be cut this early as far as UDFAs go. 

Boobie has some legit pass-catching/escapability skills. I REALLY liked that situation if he could've caught on.

Not really. Hyde has been doing great in that role per reports. Add this one to Rico Gathers 
LOL.

Boobie WAS a surprise cut this early. Anyway, I'm not sure what people don't get about players taken 50+ into a rookie draft. The hit percentage doesn't have to be high for you to reap tremendous rewards. In fact, the hit percentage can be rather low (& it WILL be by the very nature of the prospects).

You can typically get late-3rd & 4th round picks for peanuts. I take players I like in plus situations & the strategy has been very successful over the long haul.

I like talking about fliers & seeing who other people are on. A fair amount of my time on here is talking about non-studs (or lower profile guys). As long as it interests me, I'll continue to discuss these types of players.

James "Boobie" Willaims is a fairly big surprise to be cut this early as far as UDFAs go. 

Boobie has some legit pass-catching/escapability skills. I REALLY liked that situation if he could've caught on.

If a RB is going to rely on catching pases to make the roster, he’s going to have to offer something exceptional.  The team has WRs and TEs who can do the same thing.  Other than his ability to catch out of the backfield, Williams offered very little.  It’s why he’s going so late in drafts if he’s even drafted at all.  Thompson on the other hand offers a lot of positive traits that fit the position.  He still may not do anything and end up cut, but at least he’s got a lot more to give to a team looking for a RB.

If a RB is going to rely on catching pases to make the roster, he’s going to have to offer something exceptional.  The team has WRs and TEs who can do the same thing.  Other than his ability to catch out of the backfield, Williams offered very little.  It’s why he’s going so late in drafts if he’s even drafted at all.  Thompson on the other hand offers a lot of positive traits that fit the position.  He still may not do anything and end up cut, but at least he’s got a lot more to give to a team looking for a RB.
Pass-catching backs are in high demand. It was Boobie's ability in that area that intrigued me, especially given the situation.

Bottom line is Thompson doesn't have one particular skill that's in high demand & his overall package isn't good enough for long-term success, IMO.

That said, I'm not going to knock Thompson as a flier, but he's starting to go earlier & earlier.

What other fliers are high on your list for this year's draft?
I like Travis Homer as a flier. He hasn't been talked about much, but I want to stress we're talking about 50+ players into rookie drafts. There's only so many prospects that will make it that deep (if any).

I've mentioned just about all I want to discuss now (the ones I've acquired). I may talk more after my offseason waiver run if there's interest.

You probably need to pay more attention. I've made a killing over the years taking quality FF players late in rookie drafts & in waivers/FA. I have several on my dynasty team now.

Kaffee : [in a seafood restaurant]  Why are you always giving me your resume? 

Galloway : [pauses]  Because I want you to think that I'm a good lawyer. 

Kaffee : [nods]  I do 

Galloway : no you don't

Added a bunch of fliers for cheap bids last week in my leagues:

Darren Waller

Jason Witten

Preston Williams (dealt already)

Damarea Crockett

Byron Pringle

Devine Ozigbo (dealt already)

Mo Ali-Cox

Scott Miller (dealt already)

Ty Johnson (dealt already)

Foster Moreau

Travis Homer

KeeSean Johnson

Kahale Warring

Malcolm Brown

Travon Wesco

Devontae Booker

Chad Beebe

Still a couple on here who havent been mentioned. Makes me nervous I'm completely missing the boat on them. Granted maybe 1 of these guys turns out, but there is some really good talent out there. 

David Sills has an opportunity in Buffalo, He and Duke Williams will be battling this summer for a potential back end roster spot if Ray Ray McCloud doesn't step up.

Still a couple on here who havent been mentioned. Makes me nervous I'm completely missing the boat on them. Granted maybe 1 of these guys turns out, but there is some really good talent out there. 
Going to DM you a list I have going - Ours starts Thursday.

Added a bunch of fliers for cheap bids last week in my leagues:

Darren Waller

Jason Witten

Preston Williams (dealt already)

Damarea Crockett

Byron Pringle

Devine Ozigbo (dealt already)

Mo Ali-Cox

Scott Miller (dealt already)

Ty Johnson (dealt already)

Foster Moreau

Travis Homer

KeeSean Johnson

Kahale Warring

Malcolm Brown

Travon Wesco

Devontae Booker

Chad Beebe
Free agency or bidding doesn’t start for me until August so there really is no way for me to add people.  Love this list though for most of them as fliers.  

Also why are you dealing them?  Flipping for 3rds or something?  

Free agency or bidding doesn’t start for me until August so there really is no way for me to add people.  Love this list though for most of them as fliers.  

Also why are you dealing them?  Flipping for 3rds or something?  

Generally just small deals. 

Ty Johnson for Chris Thompson.

Preston Williams and Cobb for Trey Quinn.

Scott Miller and Devine Ozigbo for Hayden Hurst.

Emmanuel Butler

has a better shot than the "other Butler" as far as I'm concerned. he is from a small school but just dominated there. Matthews signed is a little bit of a bummer, but the wr2 role in that offense is wide open with old/often injured guys leading the charge 

I'm really eyeing up that Houston backfield. 

There seems to be a high chance either Crockett or Higdon gets to one injury away from a large role in a really good offense. 

Users who are viewing this thread