What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Rolling Stones songs: 204-1: Four Musketeers Get Their Ya-Yas Out (2 Viewers)

42. Jumpin' Jack Flash

Year: 1968

US Album: Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)

Songwriter: Jagger/Richards

“I was born in a cross-fire hurricane
And I howled at the morning driving rain
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas
But it's all right. I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's a gas, gas, gas”

After dabbling in baroque pop and psychedelia, the Stones returned triumphantly to their blues based rock and roll with the release of this single. It has Keith’s riffs and Mick’s dark swagger.

The legend is the inspiration for the song was Keith’s garner at his country house, Jack Dyer, who woke the boys up one morning with his heavy footedness outside of the window. Mick woke and asked about the noise and Keith said “that’s Jack, that’s Jumpin’ Jack”.

Bill Wyman has claimed that he was the one that came up with the famous guitar riff, on piano but was never given credit for it. That may be accurate as Bill plays the Hammond organ on the track while Keith played bass and lead and acoustic guitars. Brian did contribute on rhythm guitar and Ian Stewart played piano.

Likely one of the top 3-5 songs some one would come up with if asked to name a Rolling Stones song, it’s not only a quintessential Stones song but one in 60s rock as well. The lyrics are a bit abstract yet poignant. For anyone that’s ever tried to emulate Mick’s strut while screaming along with the lyrics, this may just be the song that most embodies it.
glad to see you slay one of the holy cows with a lower than most would expect ranking ... not that i dislike JJF, but there are others i like more ... oh, and ftr, i was cool with where you slotted "Monkey Man" as well  :shrug:

41. Get Off My Cloud

Year: 1965

US Album: Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)

“The telephone is ringing
I say, "hi, it's me, who is there on the line?"
A voice says, "hi, hello, how are you?"
"Well, I guess I'm doin' fine"
He says, "it's three a.m., there's too much noise
Don't you people ever want to go to bed?
Just 'cause you feel so good
Do you have to drive me out of my head?"”

Another classic that showcases Mick’s swagger.

From wiki:
We are hitting some great #### here.

This line:

“The telephone is ringing ..." 

Reminded me of this:

the police - mother

Sorry for the derail ... mother ####ers!

42. Jumpin' Jack Flash

Year: 1968

“I was born in a cross-fire hurricane
And I howled at the morning driving rain
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas
But it's all right. I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's a gas, gas, gas”

After dabbling in baroque pop and psychedelia, the Stones returned triumphantly to their blues based rock and roll with the release of this single. It has Keith’s riffs and Mick’s dark swagger.

The legend is the inspiration for the song was Keith’s garner at his country house, Jack Dyer, who woke the boys up one morning with his heavy footedness outside of the window. Mick woke and asked about the noise and Keith said “that’s Jack, that’s Jumpin’ Jack”.

Bill Wyman has claimed that he was the one that came up with the famous guitar riff, on piano but was never given credit for it. That may be accurate as Bill plays the Hammond organ on the track while Keith played bass and lead and acoustic guitars. Brian did contribute on rhythm guitar and Ian Stewart played piano.

Likely one of the top 3-5 songs some one would come up with if asked to name a Rolling Stones song, it’s not only a quintessential Stones song but one in 60s rock as well. The lyrics are a bit abstract yet poignant. For anyone that’s ever tried to emulate Mick’s strut while screaming along with the lyrics, this may just be the song that most embodies it.
This is where it begins. Being around for the beginning, i have a greater affinity for the this&thats of Stones juvenilia, others will be more set in the strutting bigliness of the World's Greatest Rock Band era. I'll get into precisely how with other songs, but Posterity will look upon the Rolling Stones for what begins right here in a cross-fire hurricane - fusing rhythm, syllables & testosterone to declare that man was born to conquer, woman to tame man, together to conquer timidity to tame that which before they could but conquer. We're here, straight & queer, no fear, let's get on with it!

Last edited by a moderator:
40. Time Waits For No One

Year: 1974

US Album: It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll

“Men, they build towers to their passing yes, to their fame everlasting
Here he comes chopping and reaping, hear him laugh at their cheating”

This is a smooth song with Latin/Jazz influences that just sounds so good. It features one of the first appearances of a synthesizer on a Stones track played by Bill Wyman.

This song also has some really great complex lyrics by Mick about the passage of time.

My favorite part however is Mick Taylor’s solos that he attributes to his visit to Brazil where he fell in love with the local music.

I’ve mentioned a few times that Mick Taylor not being given song writing credits is what ultimately lead to his departure. This one was another battle for him. The extended solo is obviously all him. Here is where it gets tricky though. I am far from a musical savant and do not know much about songwriting or song structure, but from what I’ve read there are many that would agree with Jagger and Richards stance. The song is the lyrics, melody, chords and core musical structure – in the studio each musician will add his/her flair and style but that is not the song, it is merely their contribution as a player. However, I tend to side with Taylor only because for me the songs from his era with the Stones just sound different because of his contributions.

41. Get Off My Cloud

Year: 1965

US Album: Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)

“The telephone is ringing
I say, "hi, it's me, who is there on the line?"
A voice says, "hi, hello, how are you?"
"Well, I guess I'm doin' fine"
He says, "it's three a.m., there's too much noise
Don't you people ever want to go to bed?
Just 'cause you feel so good
Do you have to drive me out of my head?"”

Another classic that showcases Mick’s swagger.

From wiki:
PUNK AS ####! 

so swamped in Brit Invasion chaos and sloppiness- it's cacophonous and rowdy as all git out - glorious mayhem, a ton of fun ... and so damn British that it just colonized my phone 🇬🇧  

39. 2000 Man

Year: 1967

US Album: Their Satanic Majesties Request

“Oh daddy, your brain's still flashin'
Like they did when you were young
Or did they come down crashin'
Seeing all the things you'd done
Spacin' out and havin' fun”

This song starts out with a light acoustic guitar with a beautiful sound and then kicks into sonic chaos yet still remains beautiful.

It’s Brian and Keith both on the acoustic guitar – one of the few times Brian picks up a guitar on Satanic Majesties.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread – when I was very young KISS was my favorite band (insert insulting comment here: ____________), and I actually heard their version before I ever heard this one.

While it's nowhere near as good as the Stones, I have to admit Ace does a decent job with it: Sing It Space Ace!!!!!

39. 2000 Man

It’s Brian and Keith both on the acoustic guitar – one of the few times Brian picks up a guitar on Satanic Majesties.
:wub:

so much love for this one, nestled right outside my top 10 - a Jonesy opus! yeah, i hear his prints all over this. so gotdamn gorgeous.

39. 2000 Man

As I mentioned earlier in the thread – when I was very young KISS was my favorite band (insert insulting comment here: ____________), and I actually heard their version before I ever heard this one.

While it's nowhere near as good as the Stones, I have to admit Ace does a decent job with it: Sing It Space Ace!!!!!
:sadbanana:

:toilet:

:lol:

40. Time Waits For No One

I’ve mentioned a few times that Mick Taylor not being given song writing credits is what ultimately lead to his departure. This one was another battle for him. The extended solo is obviously all him. 
And look at all he's done for the world since.

The Stones were as lucky to have Mick Taylor as Mick Taylor was lucky to have the Stones. But you don't get to play the palace everyday and, like it or not, you play better in the palace than you do anywhere else because its the palace and nothing but the best will do and nothing but special extras will get you asked back. There is a progression of songwriter success - writing songs that people will listen to, writing songs that people wanna hear, writing songs that people wanna hear again, writing songs that people wanna sing along to. I saw it all the time but, once you reach that last level, you don't leave until you're out of material cuz you'll never get there again.

38. Miss You

Year: 1978

US Album: Some Girls

“I've been walking in Central Park
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy
I've been stumbling on my feet
Shuffling through the street
Asking people, "What's the matter with you boy?"”

The Stones foray into disco despite Mick and Ronnie Wood’s claims that it was not conceived as a disco song. Keith however disputes this and states it was calculated and Charlie also claims that it was heavily influenced by trips to the disco clubs notably the “four to the floor” drumming technique.

Another song where Bill Wyman claims to have come up with the riff but did not get song writing credit.

"When I did the riff for 'Miss You' – which made the song, and every band in the world copied it for the next year: Rod Stewart, all of them – it still said Jagger/Richard. When I wrote the riff for 'Jumpin' Jack Flash', it became Jagger/Richard, and that's the way it was. It just became part and parcel of the way the band functioned."
Harmonica player Sugar Blue who Mick found busking on the streets to Paris before putting him on several Stones’ records plays the famous harmonica parts here.

37. Torn and Frayed

Year: 1972

US Album: Exile on Main St.

“Well the ballrooms and smelly bordellos, and dressing rooms filled with parasites
On stage the band has got problems, they're a bag of nerves on first nights
He ain't tied down to no home town, yeah, and you thought he was reckless
You think he's bad, he thinks you're mad, yeah, and the guitar player gets restless.”

This country honk (see what I did there) tune is likely influenced by Gram Parsons who was around during the Exile recording sessions – but does not appear on the record. However Parson’s good friend and collaborator, Al Perkins, plays pedal steel guitar on it. Keith plays acoustic and electric guitars, Taylor on bass, Charlie on drums and Nicky Hopkins is on piano.

While Mick’s vocals are more prominent this is really a Mick and Keith harmony and it’s Keith’s mournful voice that makes the song.

Dr. Octopus said:
39. 2000 Man

“Oh daddy, your brain's still flashin'
Like they did when you were young
Or did they come down crashin'
Seeing all the things you'd done
Spacin' out and havin' fun”

This song starts out with a light acoustic guitar with a beautiful sound and then kicks into sonic chaos yet still remains beautiful.

It’s Brian and Keith both on the acoustic guitar – one of the few times Brian picks up a guitar on Satanic Majesties.
💖 this song!

Well, my name is a number #️⃣
A piece of plastic film 🎞️
And I'm growin' funny flowers 🌿
In my little window sill 🏚️

Dont you know I'm a 2000 man 👨‍🚀
And my kids, they just don't understand me at all ☹️

:hifive:    

While it's nowhere near as good as the Stones, I have to admit Ace does a decent job with it: Sing It Space Ace!!!!!
🛸 :spade:   🤩

otb_lifer said:
Dr. Octopus said:
39. 2000 Man

:sadbanana:

:toilet:

:lol:
Eat it, 🍑!

Or, 😘 it!

otb_lifer said:
:wub:

so much love for this one, nestled right outside my top 10 - a Jonesy opus! yeah, i hear his prints all over this. so gotdamn gorgeous.
😎

Dr. Octopus said:
38. Miss You

Hells yeah. I own one Rolling Stones record. Had to have it. Some Girls is the one for me. Love the rock/disco mix on this track. Pure dancing fire. It's all kinds of liberatingly good.

When some girls get weary/try a little synthesis...

36. Honky Tonk Woman

Year: 1969

“I met a gin soaked barroom queen in Memphis
She tried to take me upstairs for a ride
She had to heave me right across her shoulder
Cause I just can't seem to drink you off my mind”

Eighty songs ago was the entry for “Country Honk” which is was recorded before this version and was the original concept of the song. This version was released as a single prior to Let It Bleed’s release however and is obviously the better known version. Brian played on “Country Honk”, but Mick Taylor who was not yet a member of the band and Keith credits Mick Taylor for turning “Country Honk” into “Honky Tonk Woman”.

Unlike the majority of Stones’ songs it is not a Keith guitar riff that starts this song but rather a beat played on the cowbell (suck it Blue Oyster Cult).

35. Shattered

“Friends are so alarming
My lover's never charming
Life's just a cocktail party on the street
Big Apple
People dressed in plastic bags
Directing traffic
Some kind of fashion
Shattered”

Another pseudo-punk rocker from the Some Girls album that also “celebrates” New York City. Mick speaks this song more than sings it, but his charm (unlike his lover who is never charming) is evident throughout. Jagger claims that he wrote the lyrics in the back of a NYC cab while it was driving him around.

The bass line is played by Ronnie Wood and not Bill.

Here is a pretty crazy cover played by Eddie Vedder and actress Jeanne Tripplehorn (singing as Julie Andrews): Mary Poppins is Shattered

Dr. Octopus said:
Apparently you missed this genius: Taylor's Biggest Post-Stones Musical Contribution

I agree with all you said - but I loved his era more than the others - but that's just me. Guy could play. I own one of his solo records which is really good but nowhere near a Stones level (well maybe Stones Dirty Work level).
To me, it's not so much his playing, but the general chops of the band in his era. Was that because of him? We have to assume a little, of course, but maybe they matured enough and would have had the same general output if Ronnie Wood came in a few years earlier? Whatever it is, Taylor-era Stones is really, really good stuff. 

Dr. Octopus said:
38. Miss You

35. Shattered

I was hoping these two wouldn't be far apart because they are inextricably linked in my mind.

I'vetoldthisstorybefore™, but i used some of my showbiz $$ to rent a 13-room sea captain's house with a historical plaque on it in Salem to turn into a party/practice house for my up&coming musician friends. Unfortunately, it almost turned into a charity mission because discos & punk clubs were drying up the # of venues serious musicians could play and knocked a bunch of excellent players back to their day jobs. A bunch of em were sitting around the Christmas Room (the ballroom of my house was entirely lit by electric Santas, reindeer and tree bulbs) complaining about the lack of work when someone suggested "if you can't beat em, join em". In the next 36 hours we wrote a punk set of songs about dead grandmas, the clap (7 of us had got it from the same girl - all separate events - in one weekend there), paranoia and other mangled baby duck issues, called ourselves Mange and i used my old connections to get em a working audition @ Boston's famous Rat. The set was enough a hit that the band changed their names and what started a joke became a working career in punk (2 EPs).

But, besides being the soundtrack to my Jennifer's bad acid trip - Some Girls offered the real revenge on disco & punk. At a time they were beginning to be critically dismissed as rock giants, the Stones out-discoed disco with Miss You and punked punk w Shattered. I think it's what eventually killed The Ramones.

I was hoping these two wouldn't be far apart because they are inextricably linked in my mind.

I'vetoldthisstorybefore™, but i used some of my showbiz $$ to rent a 13-room sea captain's house with a historical plaque on it in Salem to turn into a party/practice house for my up&coming musician friends. Unfortunately, it almost turned into a charity mission because discos & punk clubs were drying up the # of venues serious musicians could play and knocked a bunch of excellent players back to their day jobs. A bunch of em were sitting around the Christmas Room (the ballroom of my house was entirely lit by electric Santas, reindeer and tree bulbs) complaining about the lack of work when someone suggested "if you can't beat em, join em". In the next 36 hours we wrote a punk set of songs about dead grandmas, the clap (7 of us had got it from the same girl - all separate events - in one weekend there), paranoia and other mangled baby duck issues, called ourselves Mange and i used my old connections to get em a working audition @ Boston's famous Rat. The set was enough a hit that the band changed their names and what started a joke became a working career in punk (2 EPs).

But, besides being the soundtrack to my Jennifer's bad acid trip - Some Girls offered the real revenge on disco & punk. At a time they were beginning to be critically dismissed as rock giants, the Stones out-discoed disco with Miss You and punked punk w Shattered. I think it's what eventually killed The Ramones.
one could vehemently contest that, in the face of those two juggernaut movements, "Some Girls" was their greatest triumph. 

interesting call out on the Ramones, as well ... '78 saw the release of "Road to Ruin", which was a slight departure from the rapid fire machine gun offings of their first three platters ... then '79 showcased the big grasp at "breaking out", with Phil Spector coming on board for "End of the Century" - really bizarre #### went down, like Spector supposedly holding them at gunpoint one night to finish a track (Johnny corroborated it, iirc) ... speaking of Johnny, he refused to take oart in Phil and Joey's sickeningly sweet version of "Baby, I Love You", which kicked off the album.  just not good ... they always wore their girl group influence on their sleeve, but Spector and Joey went ####### bat#### syrupy - ugh. 

also was the year of the "Rock n' Roll High School" movie ... so, yeah, even Hollywood tried - but not even a cutie like Riff Randle (who musta been in her mid 20s, at least) could help break them. 

they retreated back to the City, and went back to being the hardest working band on the planet, and i'm very glad that's the way it broke .... now, if "Some Girls" played a part in that - who knows?  :shrug:

... but, if it did ...

THANK YOU MICK & KEEF!!

one could vehemently contest that, in the face of those two juggernaut movements, "Some Girls" was their greatest triumph. 

interesting call out on the Ramones, as well ... '78 saw the release of "Road to Ruin", which was a slight departure from the rapid fire machine gun offings of their first three platters ... then '79 showcased the big grasp at "breaking out", with Phil Spector coming on board for "End of the Century" - really bizarre #### went down, like Spector supposedly holding them at gunpoint one night to finish a track (Johnny corroborated it, iirc) ... speaking of Johnny, he refused to take oart in Phil and Joey's sickeningly sweet version of "Baby, I Love You", which kicked off the album.  just not good ... they always wore their girl group influence on their sleeve, but Spector and Joey went ####### bat#### syrupy - ugh. 

also was the year of the "Rock n' Roll High School" movie ... so, yeah, even Hollywood tried - but not even a cutie like Riff Randle (who musta been in her mid 20s, at least) could help break them. 

they retreated back to the City, and went back to being the hardest working band on the planet, and i'm very glad that's the way it broke .... now, if "Some Girls" played a part in that - who knows?  :shrug:

... but, if it did ...

THANK YOU MICK & KEEF!!
well, i was just goofin' on The Ramones cuz they're the first completely dead band i know of but, thx to punk impressario Jimmy Harold, Heads/Ramones (i knew who neither were) were the last concert i saw before moving west in '77. they made a lot more sense at the time than Talking Heads, but ida paid more attention - the show was part of my  goodbye-to-Boston fling - if i knew i was seeing HoF. i didn't really 'get' either til later.

34. Emotional Rescue

Year: 1980

US Album: Emotional Rescue

“You think you're one of a special breed
You think that you're his pet Pekinese
I'll be your savior, steadfast and true
I'll come to your emotional rescue
I'll come to your emotional rescue”

Although it causes me some pain that the greatest bass-line in Stones history was not played by Bill Wyman (it’s Ronnie Wood), I can’t help ranking this song so highly. It’s just such a cool and different sound. I even like Mick’s falsetto on this one, and generally I’m not a huge fan of it.

Bill does play synthesizer on the song, while Mick and Ian Stewart both play electric piano. Bobby Keys offers his services on the saxophone.

Keith played guitar and added backing vocals but allegedly was not happy as he did not like the direction Mick was taking the band, namely with the disco-inspired compositions.

While I have plenty of respect for bands like AC/DC or ZZ Top that found their niche and stubbornly remained there no matter the musical landscape surrounding them, my favorite thing about the Stones is their diversity and willingness to explore different musical genres while still  leaving their imprint on it.

33. Coming Down Again

Year: 1973

US Album: Goats Head Soup

Although credited, as always, to Jagger/Richards this one is all Keith who called it “my song”. It features arguably his cleanest vocals and is a slow piano based ballad featuring Nicky Hopkins.

It’s lyrics reflect his relationship with Anita Pallenberg who left her dalliance with Brian Jones in favor of Keith. It features one of my favorite stanzas ever when talking about his transgression and his friend’s response:

“Slipped my tongue in someone else's pie
Tasting better every time
He turned green and tried to make me cry
Being hungry it ain't no crime”

34. Emotional Rescue

Year: 1980

US Album: Emotional Rescue

“You think you're one of a special breed
You think that you're his pet Pekinese
I'll be your savior, steadfast and true
I'll come to your emotional rescue
I'll come to your emotional rescue”

Although it causes me some pain that the greatest bass-line in Stones history was not played by Bill Wyman (it’s Ronnie Wood), I can’t help ranking this song so highly. It’s just such a cool and different sound. I even like Mick’s falsetto on this one, and generally I’m not a huge fan of it.

Bill does play synthesizer on the song, while Mick and Ian Stewart both play electric piano. Bobby Keys offers his services on the saxophone.

Keith played guitar and added backing vocals but allegedly was not happy as he did not like the direction Mick was taking the band, namely with the disco-inspired compositions.

While I have plenty of respect for bands like AC/DC or ZZ Top that found their niche and stubbornly remained there no matter the musical landscape surrounding them, my favorite thing about the Stones is their diversity and willingness to explore different musical genres while still  leaving their imprint on it.
never a fan, at ALL - woulda had this at least 150 spots lower  :shrug:

33. Coming Down Again

Year: 1973

US Album: Goats Head Soup

Although credited, as always, to Jagger/Richards this one is all Keith who called it “my song”. It features arguably his cleanest vocals and is a slow piano based ballad featuring Nicky Hopkins.

It’s lyrics reflect his relationship with Anita Pallenberg who left her dalliance with Brian Jones in favor of Keith. It features one of my favorite stanzas ever when talking about his transgression and his friend’s response:

“Slipped my tongue in someone else's pie
Tasting better every time
He turned green and tried to make me cry
Being hungry it ain't no crime”
BIG FAN!!1!!  :pickle: GHS strikes again!  man, this and "Winter" are smooth as #### all .... were they ever smoover?

never a fan, at ALL - woulda had this at least 150 spots lower  :shrug:

BIG FAN!!1!!  :pickle: GHS strikes again!  man, this and "Winter" are smooth as #### all .... were they ever smoover?
I can see why some one would not be a fan of ER (there’s a smattering of cheese) but there’s just so much to like about it imo. The bass is so bad ###, Keys excels as usual and Mick puts on a performance. It’s also semi-nostalgia based, as I had said earlier just as I was getting into the Stones earlier stuff and exploring their old records Emotional Rescue and then Tattoo you were hitting it big and getting tons of airplay on the radio and MTV.

I don’t think it’s giving anything away to say “Winter” is still to come - as there was no chance it wasn’t going to be in the top 204 and we haven’t seen it yet.

I can see why some one would not be a fan of ER (there’s a smattering of cheese) but there’s just so much to like about it imo. The bass is so bad ###, Keys excels as usual and Mick puts on a performance. It’s also semi-nostalgia based, as I had said earlier just as I was getting into the Stones earlier stuff and exploring their old records Emotional Rescue and then Tattoo you were hitting it big and getting tons of airplay on the radio and MTV.

I don’t think it’s giving anything away to say “Winter” is still to come - as there was no chance it wasn’t going to be in the top 204 and we haven’t seen it yet.
yeah, you already gave up the "Winter" ghost when i posted my top 10 awhile ago  :thumbup:

now, as far as "ER"  - i thought it was a huuuuuuge whiff - a campy attempt to recapture the glory of "Hot Stuff" & "Miss You", both of which were ballsy and gritty ... "ER" sounds like jet set Mick, whereas the other two have you actually believing he's down in those gutters of NYC - again, far too high falutin for my tastes.  

32. Shine A Light

“When you're drunk in the elevator, with your clothes all torn
When your late night friends leave you in the cold gray dawn
Just seen too many flies on you, I just can't brush them off

Angels beating all their wings in time
With smiles on their faces and a gleam right in their eyes
Whoa, thought I heard one sigh for you
Come on up, come on up, now, come on up now”

Credited to Jagger/Richards the song was mostly a Jagger/Leon Russell composition, and Russell’s gospel-esque style can be heard here. The lyrics were started back when Brian Jones was still in the band with the working title “Get a Line on You” and was about Jones’ worsening battle with drug addictions and his detachment from the band as a result.

The released version of the song features producer Jimmy Miller on drums and Mick Taylor on bass – leaving out the Stones true rhythm section. Bill Wyman disputes this claiming he did indeed play bass on the song. Also although Russell helped write the song it’s Billy Preston playing both piano and organ on it. There is however this version called “(I Can’t Seem To) Get a Line on You" by Leon Russell with Mick on vocals, Charlie on drums, and Taylor on guitar: (I Can’t Seem To) Get a Line on You

31. Under My Thumb

Year: 1966

US Album: Aftermath

“Under my thumb
It's a siamese
Cat of a girl
Under my thumb
Well, she's the sweetest
Pet in the world
It's down to me”

This song was never released as a single in the UK or US but is yet one of their most well known songs.

From wiki:

The song's lyrics are an examination of a sexual power struggle, in which Jagger's lyrics celebrate the success of finally having controlled and gained leverage over a previously pushy, dominating woman. Jagger later reflected on the track in a 1995 interview: "It's a bit of a jokey number, really. It's not really an anti-feminist song any more than any of the others ... Yes, it's a caricature, and it's in reply to a girl who was a very pushy woman".[2] For many years starting with the 1969 tour, Jagger changed the references of "girl" in the lyric to "woman".

Like many of the songs from the Aftermath period, "Under My Thumb" uses more novel instrumentation than that featured on previous Stones records, including fuzz bass lines (played by Bill Wyman[3]), and marimba riffs played by Brian Jones, which provide the song's most prominent hook.

The lyrics, which savour the successful 'taming of the shrew' and compare the woman in question to a "pet", a "Siamese cat" and a "squirming dog" provoked some negative reactions, especially amongst feminists, who objected to what they took as the suppressive sexual politics of the male narrator. American humanities professor Camille Paglia, for example, reports that her admiration and defence of "Under My Thumb" marked the beginning of a rift between her and the radical feminists of the late 1960s.

30. Memo From Turner

Year: 1970

US Album: Performance Soundtrack

“I remember you in Hemlock Road in nineteen fifty-six
You're a faggy little leather boy with a smaller piece of stick

You're a lashing, smashing hunk of man your sweat shines sweet and strong
Your organs working perfectly but there's a part that's not screwed on”

I mentioned in my preview that one of the songs would be “cheating” a little and this one is it. This version is technically a Mick Jagger solo song, although this version did appear on some Rolling Stones compilations in later years where it was credited to Jagger/Richards.

The Stones did record a version that appeared on Metamorphosis  which is very similar but not nearly as good: Stones Version

The linked/ranked version is from a movie, Performance, that Mick starred in and features Ry Cooder on slide guitar, who makes the song. It also features Russ Titelman (guitar), Randy Newman (piano), Jerry Scheff (bass) and Gene Parsons (drums).

Even Martin Scorsese thinks this is a Stones song as he used the track—incorrectly credited as the Rolling Stones version—in a scene from Goodfellas where Ray Liotta's character Henry Hill is driving to the hospital to pick up his brother after unsuccessfully trying to sell some pistol silencers to Jimmy Conway.

@Mister CIA not quite Top 10 but pretty highly regarded.

29. Waiting On A Friend

Year: 1981

US Album: Tattoo You

“A smile relieves a heart that grieves, remember what I said
I'm not waiting on a lady
I'm just waiting on a friend”

This song appeared on Tattoo You in 1981 but was originally recorded in Kingston Jamaica during the Goats Head Soup sessions in 1972. As such Mick Taylor plays guitar and not Ronnie Wood. The lyrics and vocals were added later however.

The lyrics see a more mature side of singer Jagger represented. He speaks of setting aside women and vices in favor of making some sense of his life and finding the virtues inherent in true friendship:

“Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest. But I need someone I can cry to, I need someone to protect.”

There’s a dreamy quality to the music with it’s soft guitars and the saxophone by jazz legend Sonny Rollins. Charlie joked (or more likely seriously believed) to Mick that Rollins would never agree to play on a Rolling Stones record but Mick was right.

The video was one of MTV’s first and famously features Mick waiting on the front steps of a building on St. Mark’s Street (same building used for the cover shot of Physical Graffiti) while Keith strolls down the streets of NYC to meet him.

31. Under My Thumb

“Under my thumb
It's a siamese
Cat of a girl
Under my thumb
Well, she's the sweetest
Pet in the world
It's down to me”

This song was never released as a single in the UK or US but is yet one of their most well known songs.

From wiki:
Lost in the #metoo aspects of the Stones' less-respectful numbers is what a mystery was the female in 1965. Encased in contraptions of heavy nylon & wires like a bird in a cage, carrying motherly hopes, fatherly fears and society's harshest rules. There was little room for their own cares so, for a boy my age, it was to be torn between wanting them to step right into my nest & tuck in or getting to see them fly & hear their song.

But there was the getting in - which seemed to a young lad like one of those flix where a plucky band overcomes an alpine Nazi lair. First, where the courage? As ugly as songs like these and Lennon's similar misogynies were, i dont think my gen would have been able to prevail in the chase, THEN let the bird choose for herself where to land without being convinced by our musical mates that your power remained your power no matter how it worked out. More the woman without less the man - thx, ye old British fops!

I guess it's actually gonna be more interesting than irritating to see what personal faves you'll sprinkling among the uber classics, because you've taken such care with your countdown. It's all about the love... :suds:
Out of curiosity, do you not like either of these songs or just think they are too high?

I did not set out to make the list contrarian or purposely not appear like some Rolling Stone Magazine Top 100 list - but I am glad it's not just a cookie-cutter list. These are not all the most important Stones songs, just my preferences as an individual fan with the goal of sharing the love.

I would love for you and others to add your own Top 25 (or more) lists at the end or even before. I'm very interested in other thoughts.

29. Waiting On A Friend

This song appeared on Tattoo You in 1981 but was originally recorded in Kingston Jamaica during the Goats Head Soup sessions in 1972. As such Mick Taylor plays guitar and not Ronnie Wood. The lyrics and vocals were added later however.

The lyrics see a more mature side of singer Jagger represented. He speaks of setting aside women and vices in favor of making some sense of his life and finding the virtues inherent in true friendship:

“Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest. But I need someone I can cry to, I need someone to protect.”

There’s a dreamy quality to the music with it’s soft guitars and the saxophone by jazz legend Sonny Rollins. Charlie joked (or more likely seriously believed) to Mick that Rollins would never agree to play on a Rolling Stones record but Mick was right.

The video was one of MTV’s first and famously features Mick waiting on the front steps of a building on St. Mark’s Street (same building used for the cover shot of Physical Graffiti) while Keith strolls down the streets of NYC to meet him.
I always thought that Mick was on Sesame Street here. 

I'm just waiting on a friend

A smile relieves a heart that grieves, 

Out of curiosity, do you not like either of these songs or just think they are too high?

I did not set out to make the list contrarian or purposely not appear like some Rolling Stone Magazine Top 100 list - but I am glad it's not just a cookie-cutter list. These are not all the most important Stones songs, just my preferences as an individual fan with the goal of sharing the love.

I would love for you and others to add your own Top 25 (or more) lists at the end or even before. I'm very interested in other thoughts.
Never considered Shine A Light exceptional nor MFT a Stones song (much as it outstoned the Stones in its way), but the only Stones songs i dont like are some of the countrified stuff, the ill-fittingest Richards tips and the varied vanities of Sir Mick.

But that's not important. Unlike KristaBeatles™, where their short career meant that their oeuvre completely preceded most younger folk, you came to the Stones in median re and your conception of them is and should be colored by that. You may be put off by how much i criticize others for not factoring historical perspective into critical opinion, but i hope my jibes havent made you feel i think that way about you at all, because that's the opposite of the case. You lack no perspective, merely have a different one than mine and it's a tribute to our favorite band that their career has provided the world such views on their work.

29. Waiting On A Friend

my late brother and his crew showed up to their "no show" union gig that day to work on the set/vid - he was THE  biggest Stones fan i ever met ... and i always dedicate this to him - (me being Keef, of course, though my bro looked more like him)  :D

R.I.P.  big bruddah 🙏

but the only Stones songs i dont like are some of the countrified stuff
You're not going to like the next song :D

This is a major difference for us as I very much like their take on country type songs. Generally speaking that's my preference in a lot of my music as many of my favorite newer bands are rooted in the alt-country movement like Wilco, the Jayhawks, Pete Droge, Ryan Adams, etc.

You're not going to like the next song :D

This is a major difference for us as I very much like their take on country type songs. Generally speaking that's my preference in a lot of my music as many of my favorite newer bands are rooted in the alt-country movement like Wilco, the Jayhawks, Pete Droge, Ryan Adams, etc.
one of me ol' mates was a Blood Orange and is now a Son Volt and STILL owes me several thousand cigarettes, so i'm not unused to Beggar's Banqueteers...

and i will do a brief Top 25 after. it made sense to wait in respect for where you're going, unlike w KristaBeatles™ where the arc wasnt as long 

31. Under My Thumb

“Under my thumb
It's a siamese
Cat of a girl
Under my thumb
Well, she's the sweetest
Pet in the world
It's down to me”

From wiki:
now, this was my theme song during my relationship with the EX i regret losing the most ...

... i was her first "serious" boyfriend, and she had just moved to the City from some no d1ck tumbleweed town in Arizona - and, upon meeting me, all of her doe eyed/mouth agape bewilderment fell hard for my ### - and she never knew what the #### hit her - i rode her hard - literally/figuratively/Biblically- the poor thing didn't know whether to #### or shine shoes ... but she never wavered, she absolutely adored me - and i would always play this in her presence. 

but, as fate would have it, the greedy pr1ck that i was pushed tooooo damn far one day, and she shed all that smalltown hick girl shtick and pushed tight the #### back - REAL HARD. 

needless to say, that was it - my misogynistic ### was having NONE of her being out from under - couldn't keep her down on the farm after that, so things deteriorated to the point of her getting the better of me - and that was the death knell. 

perhaps she'd still be here if i was at least 1/4 huMAN to her - so, instead, i graduated to steaight up misanthropy- and here i am!  :unsure:

THANKS YA BRIT ####S! 🇺🇸

ps -  but, f'realz ... to quote Zep: "nobody's fault but MINE" 

28. Sweet Virginia

"Thank you for the wine, California,
Thank you for your sweet and bitter fruits.
Yes I've got the desert in my toenail
And I hid the speed inside my old shoe.

Well come on, come on down Sweet Virginia,
Come on, honey child, I beg of you.
Come on, come on down, you got it in you.
Got to scrape that #### right off you shoes."

A sweet little country ditty from our lads from England – at the time living in exile in France. Some great sax by Bobby Keys on this one.

This is a favorite of mine due to Mick’s harmonica, the soft old-timey sounding acoustic guitar, the colorful lyrics with seemingly out of place drug references and Keith’s sweet backing vocals. The late great Dr. John is among the group of guest background singers on this one as well.

Sorry @wikkidpissah - but on the bright-side only one more straight out country song left.

27. Moonlight Mile

Year: 1971

US Album: Sticky Fingers

“When the wind blows and the rain feels cold
With a head full of snow
With a head full of snow
In the window there's a face you know
Don't the nights pass slow
Don't the nights pass slow”

This song is said to be the result of an all night session between the two Micks. Taylor took a short recording of a guitar piece by Keith labled “Japanese Thing” and reworked it for the recording. Of course he believed he would get a song writing credit but once again he was disappointed. Jagger plays the acoustic guitar riff throughout the song, Taylor came up with the idea of adding the string section and Jim Price who usually played trumpet played the piano. Bill and Charlie added bass and drums later.

The lyrics are said to be about the loneliness and isolation of life on the road and are a peek at the real Mick and not his larger than life persona.

One of the overlooked beautiful ballads the band has released.

28. Sweet Virginia

Naw, s'awrightawrightawright. This is the only one of those i love, but i got a reason.

My best pal for 50 yrs is a great guy, has saved my bacon more'n once, but was a student w more money than brains, so he went to one of those colleges for people like that - Johnson State College in VT. I have to say it fit him as well occupationally as poorly socially - but a HS career of beer, smoke & Ds will do that, even if you have shelves of regatta trophies. An Outward Bound type, he purely loved traipsing the Green Mts, canoeing the Lamoille River (site of the '76 Olympic canoe/kayak Trials) and skiing every trail around. In HS, all his gfs were fine young ladies his pursestring/apronspring/tamponstring-pulling mother selected for him, but Vermont offered a whole nuther assortment.

Until just barely this last generation, there wasn't an entirely pretty girl in the whole state. They are not without beauties, but there's always a flaw - farmer's shoulders, Leno chin, heavy brow, webbed feet, sumn. My pal's gf, Virginia A, had all of those and was STILL attractive - a little like Jennifer Aniston got spindled in the mail. And such a farmer's daughter, i seen her pull tree stumps like they was toothpicks. And she always had such a smile on her face it was almost cartoonish.

But her greatest quality lay in how equally my pal loved AND was embarrassed by her. It's been 40 years (most of which he's been married to a wonderful gal) and he still mourns her breaking it off (almost literally) for constant refusals to take her home to meet his mother (his trust would have been cancelled on the spot) like it was yesterday. My bud & i have had 20some fistfights during our friendship and most of em were the result of my teasing him about Sweet Virginia and the #### she put on his shoes. And i still do it, Lord help me. And the teasing most especially included a version of Sweet Virginia (rhymes w inya) that would get me lifetimed here. And i love it so.

26. Time Is On My Side

Year: 1964

US Album: 12x5

Songwriter: Norman Meade/Jimmy Norman

Not much to say here. It's a cover but the Stones made it their own with Keith's cutting guitar and Mick's swagger. Time is no longer on their side, but some things are just timeless. This song is one of them.
I did not know it was a cover. It don't really matter to me though; I still feel the same as I always did. 

Time is on my side, yes it is
Time is on my side, yes it is
'Cause I got the real love, the kind that you need
You'll come runnin' back (I knew you would one day)
You'll come runnin' back (baby I told you before)
You'll come runnin' back to me, yeah

27. Moonlight Mile

Year: 1971

US Album: Sticky Fingers

“When the wind blows and the rain feels cold
With a head full of snow
With a head full of snow
In the window there's a face you know
Don't the nights pass slow
Don't the nights pass slow”

The lyrics are said to be about the loneliness and isolation of life on the road and are a peek at the real Mick and not his larger than life persona.

Interesting. I've always liked this song a lot, but I've never read the lyrics b4 - bonus points for their inclusion in the vid.

My fav thread:

For I am sleeping under strange, strange skies
Just another mad, mad day on the road
My dreams is fading down the railway line
I’m just about a moonlight mile on down the road

Yeah, yeah
Yeah I’m coming home
Cause I’m just about a moonlight mile on down the road
On down the road, on down the road
Yeah, yeah baby

My bud & i have had 20some fistfights during our friendship and most of em were the result of my teasing him about Sweet Virginia and the #### she put on his shoes. And i still do it, Lord help me. And the teasing most especially included a version of Sweet Virginia (rhymes w inya) that would get me lifetimed here. And i love it so.
🤣

How long till the next round of fist-fights?

Have you figured the cycle out yet? 

It would be helpful to be prepared.

🤣

How long till the next round of fist-fights?

Have you figured the cycle out yet? 

It would be helpful to be prepared.
We havent had one since he went on the wagon years ago. I think that's step 11 - not swingin' on yer ol pal when he goes brutal on ya. I still tease him unmercifully, if only to hone his sobriety.

Users who are viewing this thread