What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Rolling Stones songs: 204-1: Four Musketeers Get Their Ya-Yas Out (3 Viewers)

THIS  actually made me feel worse  :oldunsure:  how could one not love that guy?
Wow. Nice interview. I love the part when he talks about "trial marriage" ... as it was still a controversial "thing" at the time. lol

Also, did Brian ever get around to making the movie he is discussing?

And, finally, I forgot to add ... my condolences.

Wow. Nice interview. I love the part when he talks about "trial marriage" ... as it was still a controversial "thing" at the time. lol

Also, did Brian ever get around to making the movie he is discussing?

And, finally, I forgot to add ... my condolences.
don't believe so, on the film  :shrug:

first album i ever bought was "Through The Past, Darkly" with the octagon cover ... when you opened the gatefold there was a poem for Jonesy:

when this you see, remember me

and bear me in your mind

let all the world say what they may ...

... speak of me as you find. 

and i was hooked - he replaced Harrison as my favorite musician - and lo all these years later ... he prolly still is. 

Too bad on the film. I am always interested in seeing works of artists in fields other than their main one.

And ... my list in now down to 25.

The ordering however ...

don't believe so, on the film  :shrug:

first album i ever bought was "Through The Past, Darkly" with the octagon cover ... when you opened the gatefold there was a poem for Jonesy:

when this you see, remember me

and bear me in your mind

let all the world say what they may ...

... speak of me as you find. 

and i was hooked - he replaced Harrison as my favorite musician - and lo all these years later ... he prolly still is. 

Too bad on the film. I am always interested in seeing works of artists in fields other than their main one.

And ... my list in now down to 25.

The ordering however ...

QUOTE FUNCTION DOWN?

:coffee:
👺🤜🍑

Finally ...

25) Sympathy for the Devil - Please allow me to introduce my list - this would have been much higher if not for the fact that I overplayed when I was younger.

24) Melody - it was her 2nd name ... and my 24th fav Stones song ... dead or alive.

23) Heaven - Nothing will stand in your way. Nothing. There's nothing.

22) Connection - The doctor wants to give me more injections ...

21) You Can't Always Get What You Want - ... so,  I went down to the Chelsea drugstore. To get my prescription filled ...

20) Down In The Hole - ... hope this keeps me from sickness ...

19) I Got The Blues - ... but I'm feelin' low down, I'm blue ...

18) Hide Your Love - ... cause, sometimes I'm up, sometimes I'm down; sometimes I'm fallin' on the ground ...

17) In Another Land - ... then I awoke. Was this some kind of joke? Much to my surprise; I opened my eyes.

16) 2000 Man - So, now I'm growin' funny flowers in my little window sill.

15) Miss You - Oooh oooh oooh oooh oooh oooh oooh!

14) 100 Years Ago - The buds were bursting and the air smelled sweet and strange.

13) Can't You Hear Me KnockingYeah, I've got flatted feet now, now, now, now.

12) You Gotta MoveYou may be high; I am.

11) Midnight RamblerI'm sighin' down the wind so sadly ...

10) (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - But, he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke ...

9) What A ShameWhat a shame.

8 ) Get Off Of My Cloud"hi, it's me, who is there on the line?"

7) Play With FireNot in Knightsbridge anymore ...

6) #####Sometimes I'm sexy, move like a stud.

5) Gimme ShelterOh, a storm is threat'ning!

4) 2,000 Light Years From HomeWe're setting off with soft explosion/ 🤔

3) Monkey Man - I'm a fleabit peanut monkey ... that's not really true.

2) Paint It BlackI have to turn my head until my darkness goes.

1) Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) - Doo Doo! He said doo doo!

@otb_lifer - I know that you have issues with backwards counting - so, I pm'ed you a forward list that you can understand. :hifive:

Happy belated birthday, Keef. The Dylan thread reminded me to revisit this one. Still think 204 songs should be the standard based on krista's glorious thread. 

Unfair to comment without at least putting up a top-ten and its unfair to try to put one song at the top but since only one can get the top slot:

1.  It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It) - Rolling Stones

David Bowie on backing vocals is subtle but adds something indescribable.

2.  The Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Women (Official Lyric Video)

John Lennon had a mouth like a torn pocket about the time the Beatles broke up and ripped into the Stones and Jagger but grudgingly said this was his favorite Stones song in a famous interview he gave:

Back in December 1970, just a few months after The Beatles announced their decision to break up, John Lennon sat down with Rolling Stone co-founder and editor Jann Wenner for a no holds barred interview.  >>  ( John Lennon tears into Mick Jagger!! )

3.  Can't You Hear Me Knocking (Remastered)

Mick Taylor dominates my top-ten and he loved this tune.

Mick Taylor: “‘Can’t You Hear Me Knocking’ is one of my favorites. (The jam at the end) just happened by accident; that was never planned. Towards the end of the song I just felt like carrying on playing. Everybody was putting their instruments down, but the tape was still rolling and it sounded good, so everybody quickly picked up their instruments again and carried on playing. It just happened, and it was a one-take thing. A lot of people seem to really like that part.” 

4.  The Rolling Stones Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

I remember the first time I heard it, stunning.

5.  Dance Little Sister (Remastered)

Can't believe this was the B-Side to the cover of 'Ain't to Proud to Beg'.  The critics sorta chopped away at it while giving it back handed compliments.  The Stones were having fun on this track.  Love the Jagger line...

Some of the lyrics refer to Mick and Bianca Jagger spending days in Trinidad watching cricket and spending the nights partying.[1] These include:

On Saturday night we don't go home
We bacchanal, ain't no dawn[1]

6.  Jumpin' Jack Flash (Original Single Mono Version)

Its alright now and a gas-gas-gas-gas.

7.  The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Official Lyric Video)

The scene in Apocalypse Now with an under aged Laurence Fishborn kicking up his legs and signing while someone is water skiing behind the swift boat gave this a second  life and I love the line 'I can't get no girl reaction'.  Originally I thought he was singing 'I can't get no Keri-action' thinking he was singing about a girl named Keri.

8.  The Rolling Stones- Shattered

Mick talking about living in NYC and how he loved it.  'You must be tough-tough-tough-tough.'

9.  Beast Of Burden by The Rolling Stones

Ranked 433 all-time greatest rock-and-roll song.

10.  The Rolling Stones - She's A Rainbow (Official Lyric Video)

Hard to pick the final song on a Stones top-ten but this reminds me of a hot muggy/rainy day as a kid in the 70s.  Was tempted to pick their cover of the Coasters song 'Poison Ivy' in mono Poison Ivy (Version 1/Mono) just to shake things up.  Heard a strange backstory to Ruby Tuesday where the song is 'supposedly' dedicated to the film star Tuesday Weld who had a book of Satanism dedicated to her.  The Stones were supposed to have had some connection to her.  Can't recall where I heard this but it ties into the Sympathy for the Devil thing.  I prefer Rainbow but you could put about fifty different songs on a top-ten Stones list and this is mine.

gimme shelter is in my top five or six songs ever and always will be the best stones song in my mind brohans take that to the bank 
Agreed.  Am dumbfounded that this isn't EVERYONE's favorite Stones song, both because of how awesome it is AND how much better it is than the other Stones songs - and that's NOT a knock on their other songs.  FWIW, Sympathy loses a lot points by giving the mystery away in the title.  It's like Mick wrote the song and then someone decided they'd get SO much publicity by naming a song "Sympathy for the Devil" but no one recalled that the ENTIRE song was asking people to "guess my name!"  WTF!

Just took a quick look at some of the online rankings and was pleased to see my #1 is frequently listed as #1 or #2. 

Remember dozing on my GF's coach the summer after HS with that song on in the background and was in that perfect place between waking and sleeping, just taking in all the perfectly blended layers, and it seemed like it went on for an hour.  Top five musical moment for me.  Can still recall exactly how it felt.
Which song was it?

Stones playing in Louisville on June 14th. It will be an outdoor stadium (Cardinal) - which I like. 

Last time I saw them was at the old stadium - Steel Wheels tour. 

I am flirting with going, but it will be dependant on having more time. 

Edit: June 14th; not March. Mind was wandering. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the doc on the Altamonte concert...really good.

Didn't realize Bryan Jones died midway thru Sticky Fingers, and that you could clearly see the difference in half the album from ‘Old’ to ‘New’ Stones.

Saw the doc on the Altamonte concert...really good.

Didn't realize Bryan Jones died midway thru Sticky Fingers, and that you could clearly see the difference in half the album from ‘Old’ to ‘New’ Stones.
Sticky Fingers is all Mick Taylor. Brian Jones died when they were recording Let It Bleed but he didn’t contribute much to that record as he was too messed up on booze and drugs.

Sticky Fingers is all Mick Taylor. Brian Jones died when they were recording Let It Bleed but he didn’t contribute much to that record as he was too messed up on booze and drugs.
Sorry right..mixed those two up in order. According to the doc, Taylor was involved in Gimme Shelter and 2 others...and that the Stones noticeably changed their songwriting and sound post-Taylor and post-Altamonte...mid-album.

My favorite period for the Stones was during Mick Taylor's era. He was by far the best guitarist they ever had, and his melodies and jams really stood out. He never really got the song writing credits he should have, which is part of the reason he left.
Hi, I’ve come to Hipple your thread!  

The Mick T. era is my favorite as well. He gave them a flair that is missing from the other eras. 

Looks like the first major debate was Mick’s voice. I’m fine with it. It’s well suited for (most of) the material they performed. I have no problem with Neil Young’s and Bob Dylan’s voices for that reason either. 

Edit: or Tom Verlaine’s.

I draw the line at Tom Waits, though. He writes these songs with intricate arrangements and sings them as if he has a mouthful of gravel. It’s too incongruent for me.

Edit 2: As far as Geddy Lee, if you’re listening to Rush for the vocals, you’re doing it wrong.

A good chunk of my favorite Stones is from Beggars to Exile, so I’m going to sound like a broken record, but I’d have I Just Want to See His Face and Rip This Joint higher. The vibe of the former is like nothing else in their catalog and it’s probably the song that benefits most from the Exile production “strategy.” [Narrator: There was no strategy.] The latter is the musical equivalent of a whirling dervish. They would often end their shows with this in the early 70s because how can you muster more energy than that?

A good chunk of my favorite Stones is from Beggars to Exile, so I’m going to sound like a broken record, but I’d have I Just Want to See His Face and Rip This Joint higher. The vibe of the former is like nothing else in their catalog and it’s probably the song that benefits most from the Exile production “strategy.” [Narrator: There was no strategy.] The latter is the musical equivalent of a whirling dervish. They would often end their shows with this in the early 70s because how can you muster more energy than that?
That’s kind of my wheelhouse also. Seen His Face was probably under-ranked. I like Rip This Joint but there’s just too much good music in there catalogue.

Love seeing this bumped.  It'll give me a chance to go back and read all that I missed.  Picked up a few that went on my "favorite songs" Spotify playlist, but I lost track along the way and didn't finish strong.

Love seeing this bumped.  It'll give me a chance to go back and read all that I missed.  Picked up a few that went on my "favorite songs" Spotify playlist, but I lost track along the way and didn't finish strong.
Did you ever reassess Mick's voice? Or do you still not care for it? 

151. Dancing With Mr. D

Year: 1973

US Album: Goats Head Soup

Songwriter: Jagger/Richards

“Down in the graveyard where we have our tryst,
The air smells sweet, the air smells sick;
He never smiles, his mouth merely twists,
The breath in my lungs feels clinging and thick;
But I know his name, he's called Mr. D,
And one of these days, he's going to set you free”

Let’s get dark and funky. This gem opens with a Keith riff that permeates and builds the base of a song about dancing with the Devil (or maybe Death or maybe Keith).

This song features both Billy Preston (on clavinet) and Nicky Hopkins (on piano) and Mick Taylor playing both slide guitar and bass (despite Bill’s presence in the video). It’s funky New Orleans voodoo music – oooo scary.
My friend (same one who hates the Paul songs on Revolver and whose dad played in a band with Grover Washington Jr.) thinks that perhaps the main reason he and others are down on GHS compared to their other albums around that time is that this song is a dud, and thus a terrible way to open the album and set the mood.

I like it well enough but I think they did this kind of thing much better on IoRnR and Some Girls. 

Users who are viewing this thread